erm.... BlackBerry gives Indian spooks BBM and BIS access

that could be a problem to your plans.
    You're absolutely right. BB would have to own up to a mistake, and change course.

Companies change course. Google's motto used to be "Don't be evil" - not sure they can say that with a straight face these days.
    08-16-13 01:38 AM
    You're absolutely right. BB would have to own up to a mistake, and change course.

Companies change course. Google's motto used to be "Don't be evil" - not sure they can say that with a straight face these days.
    Well, they're the good evil, not the bad evil. Like Apple or other big corps.

Posted via my super-duper Z10
    08-16-13 08:32 AM
    Security is not sexy at all.
    08-16-13 09:41 AM
    Has anyone ever found a way to hack through BlackBerry's QNX mickrokernal core ecosystem?

Posted via CB10
    Remember DingleBerry? PlayBook OS was rooted at one point.
    08-16-13 10:07 AM
    Beefing up the security aspect is not going to make up for an OS no one wants. I know everyone is scrambling to come up with a slick marketing ploy for BB but security has to be one of the least sexy aspects no matter how much "Vegas" you inject into it. I think that is the last thing people consider when purchasing a phone. As a regular, run of the mill guy that uses a phone for business purposes, I have never had and issue with security on any Android or iPhone.
    08-16-13 10:20 AM
    No, security is not sexy. I have said this before but to the general buying public, security is an irrelevant notion. What is "sexy" to them is PRIVACY or as I once put it, the simple knowledge that whatever they do on their phone is free from the prying eyes of their nosy roommate, jealous husband, crazy as$ girlfriend, etc...

The problem with this question is that people use the terms security and privacy interchangeably and they are two entirely different animals.
    I still would like to know how they expect to enjoy privacy without security. The honor system?
    08-17-13 06:16 PM
    I still would like to know how they expect to enjoy privacy without security. The honor system?
    you could have security with no privacy, for example. with strong authentication an unencrypted message is providing security in that you are proving the message came from you, but no privacy.
    08-17-13 06:54 PM
    No but it would help if you understood privacy and security are two separate things. Password protecting your phone provides you privacy. Encrypting your memory card, installing and correctly using an app such as BlackBerry Protect,etc... provides you security and that does not even begin to touch on the data encryption and cryptographic protocols employed by the device.
    08-17-13 07:18 PM
    Privacy is having the ability to give permission as to what is tracked or posted publicly.

Security is ensuring that what you wish hidden, stays hidden from prying eyes.

Knowing that I used a mobile device to buy a diamond bracelet at Tiffany's is a privacy issue. Being able to grab my credit card info during transmission is a security issue
    08-17-13 07:28 PM
    Great info, everyone! However, how can BlackBerry make all of this humdrum, technical mumbo-jumbo sexy? It's been stated by many that no one cares about security. Or that what sells is apps, specs, big screens... bling.

I argue that security can sell, if it's sold as what people should have or want. Well, sex sells. People don't want their stuff stolen. Combine the two and sell it.

08-17-13 08:01 PM
    Do you mean combine sex and security? Sort of dual BlackBerry ads with either an attractive blonde woman with come hither looks dangling padded handcuffs from graceful fingers and sending a BBM or a guy in black leather named Horst who suggests the need for discipline via BBM?

Probably couldn't hurt at this stage.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GadgetTravel; 08-17-13 at 08:27 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-17-13 08:14 PM
    Is a non bes bb more secure than ios and android?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    Apparently it is as the DOD rubber stamped it; it is the only smartphone allowed on the DOD network...

Wait for it...

BOOM!!!

Posted via my Q10
    08-17-13 10:47 PM
    Apparently it is as the DOD rubber stamped it; it is the only smartphone allowed on the DOD network...
    DOD approves Blackberry, Android smartphones for official use - The Hill's DEFCON Hill
    Infosecurity - DoD approves Android, BlackBerry 10 smartphones for use by soldiers

BOOM!!!
    ...hoist by your own petard...
    Rickroller likes this.
    08-17-13 10:54 PM

Wait for it...

BOOM!!!

Posted via my Q10
    There is a difference between a BlackBerry on a BES and one that's not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-17-13 11:34 PM
    Do you mean combine sex and security? Sort of dual BlackBerry ads with either an attractive blonde woman with come hither looks dangling padded handcuffs from graceful fingers and sending a BBM or a guy in black leather named Horst who suggests the need for discipline via BBM?

Probably couldn't hurt at this stage.

Posted via CB10
    Yes! Well the former vs the latter. Picture a line of handsome, hunky men (Chippendale dancers). A gorgeous woman with a BlackBerry in her hands and is slowly walking down the line. You can see the men from the bellybutton up. The men in the line in the line keep looking down, showing off their manhood. She looks at each one of them, looks down and walks on with a disappointed look. She gets to the end of the line and a little nerd is standing there with a grin or sweating bullets. Either way is fine. She looks at him, then looks down. The last scene is the nerd and her walking away showing off their Blackberries.

08-18-13 02:13 AM
    Remember the old "CIA" acronym often used for data security:

Confidentiality
    Integrity
    Authentication (sometimes read as Availability)
    08-18-13 03:50 AM
    you could have security with no privacy, for example. with strong authentication an unencrypted message is providing security in that you are proving the message came from you, but no privacy.
    No but it would help if you understood privacy and security are two separate things. Password protecting your phone provides you privacy. Encrypting your memory card, installing and correctly using an app such as BlackBerry Protect,etc... provides you security and that does not even begin to touch on the data encryption and cryptographic protocols employed by the device.
    Privacy is having the ability to give permission as to what is tracked or posted publicly.

Security is ensuring that what you wish hidden, stays hidden from prying eyes.

Knowing that I used a mobile device to buy a diamond bracelet at Tiffany's is a privacy issue. Being able to grab my credit card info during transmission is a security issue
    I post this all the time. A password only keeps out the opportunistic snoop. To prevent a determined investigator from gaining meaningful access to one's data, a BBOS user must encrypt his data with a strong (i.e. long and complex) password and his media card (if encrypted) with one of modes that employs a device key and the "Stronger" or "Strongest" encryption.

FYI, I recently contacted two leading forensic labs that provide BlackBerry chip-off services. That means they physically remove memory chips from locked, password protected BlackBerry phones to provide investigators offline access to data stored on the devices. I asked each lab whether it has the capability to decrypt BlackBerry data if content protection is enabled and, if so, whether password length/strength (4 characters versus 15 characters) plays a part in the success of the efforts. The first lab replied that it does not have the capability to overcome BlackBerry content protection but stressed that less than 5% of BlackBerry submissions it receives has content protection enabled. The second lab stated that it does have success decrypting the content, but it depends on the device model and quality of the password. It has had success numerous times decrypting the data from my model (9650). The lab stated that a high quality password with multiple case, numbers, and special characters "would be difficult" (I read "difficult" as "not practical") and, like the other lab, stressed that in its experience most normal people do not use complex passwords on a BlackBerry device because it makes it hard to quickly unlock.
    08-18-13 08:16 AM
    Yes! Well the former vs the latter. Picture a line of handsome, hunky men (Chippendale dancers). A gorgeous woman with a BlackBerry in her hands and is slowly walking down the line. You can see the men from the bellybutton up. The men in the line in the line keep looking down, showing off their manhood. She looks at each one of them, looks down and walks on with a disappointed look. She gets to the end of the line and a little nerd is standing there with a grin or sweating bullets. Either way is fine. She looks at him, then looks down. The last scene is the nerd and her walking away showing off their Blackberries.

Well, but that doesn't see to have anything to do with BB security.

Maybe after he loses the NYC mayoral primary they can recruit Anthony Weiner as a spokesperson. He could look at the camera and say, "If I had used Blackberry secure messaging I would be mayor of. New York today".
    08-18-13 09:07 AM
    There is a difference between a BlackBerry on a BES and one that's not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    I agree. With the loss of the BIS BB10 phones do not have the same level of security as the ones that still do use BIS.
    BlackBerry could of capitalized on this right now.

The combination of the BB10 OS with secure email, texting, BBM etc..
    Third party security services are becoming more popular.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 09:13 AM
    I post this all the time. A password only keeps out the opportunistic snoop. To prevent a determined investigator from gaining meaningful access to one's data
    keep in mind that even a very complex password won't keep out a "determined" investigator - identity you, follow you around with a white box van filled with van Eck phreaking equipment and catch the leaked radio noise when the target types his pass phrase on his physical keyboard.

in that respect virtual keyboards are more secure.

it doesn't even have to be that, wait until the target passes through a border control point and take his device for inspection, modify it to capture all of the keystrokes (in hardware) then seize the device a few days later. that's why you should destroy your device if it is ever out of your physical control, no matter how short a time.
    08-18-13 12:56 PM
    I agree. With the loss of the BIS BB10 phones do not have the same level of security as the ones that still do use BIS.
    BlackBerry could of capitalized on this right now.

The combination of the BB10 OS with secure email, texting, BBM etc..
    Third party security services are becoming more popular.

What "security" did BIS offer? Getting tired of everyone throwing this out there and never being able to quantify it.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-18-13 02:22 PM
    What "security" did BIS offer? Getting tired of everyone throwing this out there and never being able to quantify it.
    Security wise, BES>BIS>nothing. BIS offers encryption from the phone to the carrier. Better than no encryption at all, but not bomb proof as some may imagine.

There's a misconception that because a phone is a BlackBerry it's automatically more secure than another platform. How it connects and gets its data is what creates the security.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-18-13 03:09 PM
    BlackBerry excels at security of data stored on the password locked, encrypted handset.
    08-18-13 03:42 PM
    Then do some research. We did. I did. It was at least more secure then it is now. .

08-18-13 08:19 PM
    Then do some research. We did. I did. It was at least more secure then it is now. .

Thanks, for the suggestion. But would you mind sharing the research you've performed with the rest of us?

I've been working on this stuff for years and have yet to come across anything from BlackBerry or another documented source that backs up these claims.

This isn't a bash against you or BlackBerry. Bit in the security arena lack of knowledge and a false sense of security are your biggest enemies.
    08-19-13 06:52 AM
77 1234