I see people sideloading banking apps all the time. I'm sure that's a security risk, right?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    Here is a patch being issued against QNX for 2013. Note the indication that "could execute arbitrary code"

QNX Patches Multiple Vulnerabilities | isssource.com

Note that a perfectly secure system would never have to have security vulnerabilities patched. Of course, a perfectly secure system doesn't exist, and QNX is not immune from this rule.
    bekkay likes this.
    08-15-13 05:37 PM
    If iOS and Android are good enough for the government, not sure the average Joe is going to think they need anything better.
    Given how many (S) and (TS) documents have been spewed out all over the internet in the past couple of years, I'm not sure that "good enough for the government" is an adequate bar for security.
    08-15-13 05:38 PM
    Haha! My knowledge of internal hardware, processing and their mechanics is limited. All I was hoping for was a commercial with strippers using a BlackBerry!

Posted via my super-duper Z10
    amazinglygraceless and bekkay like this.
    08-15-13 05:39 PM
    Blackberry has an ATO (&and approval to connect, I presume). It's not a security clearance or clearance level and I certainly wouldn't consider a system that has an ATO necessarily any more secure than one that doesn't have an ATO.
    An ATO means Approval to Operate. I think that speaks for itself.
    08-15-13 05:39 PM
    I've been thinking about how BlackBerry can turn their assets into assets. In recent news, security issues have become the bane of smartphones. Well, BlackBerry has the best security of any phone on the market. Despite this, they apparently aren't doing well, at all.
    BlackBerry could hire Peta Wilson (La Femme Nikita) as a spokeswoman for BlackBerry security.
    08-15-13 05:41 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the Department of Defense has only approved Blackberry's MDM solution along with the Z10 and Q10 to allow these devices to connect directly to the Department of Defense network to access DOD assets. No one else has that approval. This is the highest level of security clearance for a device. I don't believe Iphone nor Android have that clearance. I'm talking about accessing DOD data that are stored on DOD servers in the DOD network. This clearance is not about making phone calls, sending personal or work emails, or browsing the web via a wifi network. It is about accessing military assets that are stored on servers via a Blackberry device.
    BES10 was given ATO at a higher security level than Apple or Android are, today, yes. But Samsung's Knox is in the approval process right now, as are a couple of other solutions. Just because BES10 got there first (still a notable accomplishment, don't get me wrong) doesn't mean they're the only ones who will. And note that there are no assurances, from this approval anyway, that DoD will buy a single BB10 device. They are talking about setting up "capacity" for a (relatively small) percentage of DoD phones to be BB10, but that doesn't assure that the phones will actually be bought, and it's clear that the majority of the phones are going to be Apple or Android, given the total capacity listed.

Don't think I'm raining on the parade here. This was a win for BB, but it's not the same as money in the bank. It's just "potential" for money in the bank at this point. Until funded contracts are actually awarded, there's not all that much substance. Just because you are leading the race 100 miles into a 500 mile race does not ensure you a victory.
    JeepBB and bekkay like this.
    08-15-13 05:41 PM
    An ATO means Approval to Operate. I think that speaks for itself.
    I have actually been involved in systems that have had to go through the IATO/ATO process, though only vaguely remember the stages of it. I do remember the operate independent of a network as a computing system being separate form it in connected form, thus my "I presume" caveat.
    08-15-13 05:42 PM
    BlackBerry could hire ) as a spokeswoman for BlackBerry security.
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

08-15-13 05:46 PM
    BES10 was given ATO at a higher security level than Apple or Android are, today, yes. But Samsung's Knox is in the approval process right now, as are a couple of other solutions. Just because BES10 got there first (still a notable accomplishment, don't get me wrong) doesn't mean they're the only ones who will. And note that there are no assurances, from this approval anyway, that DoD will buy a single BB10 device. They are talking about setting up "capacity" for a (relatively small) percentage of DoD phones to be BB10, but that doesn't assure that the phones will actually be bought, and it's clear that the majority of the phones are going to be Apple or Android, given the total capacity listed.

Don't think I'm raining on the parade here. This was a win for BB, but it's not the same as money in the bank. It's just "potential" for money in the bank at this point. Until funded contracts are actually awarded, there's not all that much substance. Just because you are leading the race 100 miles into a 500 mile race does not ensure you a victory.

BB10 got that ATO 6 months after launch. Apple and Android are still waiting to get there, six and seven years respectively after launch. I think that says something very positive about Blackberry's new operating system and MDM solution. Blackberry's security is very sexy to the Department of Defense.
    08-15-13 05:57 PM
    BB10 got that ATO 6 months after launch. Apple and Android are still waiting to get there, six and seven years respectively after launch. I think that says something very positive about Blackberry's new operating system and MDM solution. Blackberry's security is very sexy to the Department of Defense.
    Hang on, so far as I know neither google nor apple provide anything of an equivalent to BES that would need the ATO in the first place. We're not talking about NIST certification, right?
    JeepBB and bekkay like this.
    08-15-13 05:59 PM
    Haha! My knowledge of internal hardware, processing and their mechanics is limited. All I was hoping for was a commercial with strippers using a BlackBerry!
    Well why didn't you just say that...I'd have liked and thanked you already
    08-15-13 06:01 PM
    NIST belongs to the Dept of Commerce. So nothing to do with NIST. Anyways there was a whole report about the Army losing control over the security of smartphone devices. Makes for an interesting read, and I assume that is why the DOD approved Blackberry's MDM solution.

Here are the links if anyone is interested

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1619...for-blackberry
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry: The Killer Punch Will Be Security - Seeking Alpha
    Army has lost control of its mobile devices, says DOD IG -- Defense Systems
    08-15-13 06:12 PM
    NIST belongs to the Dept of Commerce. So nothing to do with NIST. Anyways there was a whole report about the Army losing control over the security of smartphone devices. Makes for an interesting read, and I assume that is why the DOD approved Blackberry's MDM solution.

Here are the links if anyone is interested

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry: The Killer Punch Will Be Security - Seeking Alpha
    Army has lost control of its mobile devices, says DOD IG -- Defense Systems
    it has something to do with it in that meeting NIST or providing exceptions for it are part of receiving an ATO.

PIN message me if you would like to have a more detailed discussion
    08-15-13 06:18 PM
    Well why didn't you just say that...I'd have liked and thanked you already
    Well, we need to push this through to BlackBerry execs!

amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-15-13 06:26 PM
    I think security is sexy!

I love how BlackBerry is safe and I've actually thought twice about getting Android (which is sad, because I've wanted one off and on until I got my Q10); since it's apparently buggy. I like having security - anti-viruses, phone cases, etc. - so having a phone so prone to function in that respect is amazing.

Posted via CB10
    BBgeeqed04 likes this.
    08-15-13 06:31 PM
    Blackberry has an ATO (&and approval to connect, I presume). It's not a security clearance or clearance level and I certainly wouldn't consider a system that has an ATO necessarily any more secure than one that doesn't have an ATO.
    Correct. All an ATO means is that the system in question has gone through the necessary due diligence reviews (operations, security, risk mitigation, etc) to be put into production.
    08-15-13 07:08 PM
    Security is for sure becoming an issue. People say they have nothing to hide will change their tune pretty quick when someone starts taking money from their bank accounts because the info was on their hacked phones or someone aired their dirty laundry and embarrasing selfies on a twitter account. Identity theft is another major problem across social media. I'm not saying that the bb solution is better than the competition for the average consumer, but people need to wake up and think about what info they're putting out there for corporations and fraudsters to pick up.

Bklackberry could use this stigma to create a secure email service. Create a non-profit company that supplies access to a free bes server for secure email and cloud storage. Host it in a country that won't bow to pressure from countries that demand access. Hell, make it pirate and host it from the sea.. I dunno. There's an opportunity here and bb should capitalize directly or indirectly.
    08-15-13 07:14 PM
    I think a large part of it is lack of knowledge.

I've always been hearing that BB is more secure, but I dont know what that means exactly
    08-15-13 07:51 PM
    Blackberry doesn't sell secure phones-they sell phones that can be secured by other vendors. Blackberry's competitors will make as much or more money as BB selling security. An example is Cellcrypt who sell 5 year encryption licences for about $70/month/phone to gov't, military and enterprise.

Cellcrypt encrypts voice calls on leading smartphones | Cellcrypt Voice Security Solutions
    Cellcrypt encrypts voice calls on leading smartphones | Cellcrypt Voice Security Solutions
    08-15-13 09:14 PM
    The responses have been mixed. Some say yes. Some say no. Some say it could be. I'm still on the side of it is. Despite the discussion about the specifics, there is the belief that security can be sexy.

My OP was pertaining to advertising. Knowing that nothing can be perfectly secure, BlackBerry still is the leader in that aspect. My question still stands: Is security sexy?

A follow up question is: Can BlackBerry sell security as sexy?

08-15-13 10:27 PM
    A follow up question is: Can BlackBerry sell security as sexy?

In a market ruled by specs, apps and cool factor.... i dont think that "security" is cool enough to the average consumer. And the average consumer is the big part of the pie.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-15-13 10:47 PM
    heres the problem, first Blackberry have to make security look sexy in an ad, then they have to advertise well, then (and this is the key part) they have to advertise to their demographic for that advert.

An example of how they failed to do this would be during Britains Got Talent this year, Q10 advert, at 8pm, in what is a entertainment show. did they advertise flow? no, did they advertise timeshift? no. did they advertise all the apps and games? no. did they advertise Balance, an option only available for business users on a BES? heck yea, that's targeted lol.

so to sum it up, is security sexy? no, but it could be made to look sexy in an advert, but unless you advertise it to the right audience, it will still just be about security.
    08-15-13 10:58 PM
    I've actually been thinking about this recently. Thanks to the OP for bringing up this topic. I'd spin it a little bit different than just 'security', but rather 'privacy'. (Although you need security to have privacy.)

Currently, there is a worldwide uproar over NSA surveillance, an uproar that BlackBerry has both the means and the location to leverage to their advantage.

First the means: BlackBerry owns a very large private network. BlackBerry can guarantee private end to end communications from one BlackBerry device to the next. (It doesn't matter that the carriers are involved, BB would encrypt everything from their servers to the devices.) This could help drive BB device sales.

For those that don't have a BB device, BB could offer secure communications over BBM. (This would be less than ideal, but it could be a stepping stone for people eventually coming over to BB to get the full suite of secure services.)

Second, the location: Being outside of the United States, BlackBerry wouldn't have to capitulate to random US Government data requests, or any other PRISM style NSA backdoors into their servers.

Third, storage: This is all for naught if you're storing your email on Google or Microsoft's servers. That said, BlackBerry should launch its own email service. Just as Apple has their iCloud mail, BlackBerry could be an email provider. BlackBerry could (should) monetize it much like Apple does.

With this, any person can be reasonably out of reach of NSA surveillance . You connect securely via a BlackBerry device, your data (in this example, email, but BlackBerry could expand beyond this to provide general cloud storage) is stored securely on a BlackBerry server, out of reach of the NSA. It is a win win.
    08-16-13 01:17 AM
    Is security sexy? Is going through an airport check sexy?
    08-16-13 01:24 AM
    BlackBerry can guarantee private end to end communications from one BlackBerry device to the next. (It doesn't matter that the carriers are involved, BB would encrypt everything from their servers to the devices.) This could help drive BB device sales.
    erm.... BlackBerry gives Indian spooks BBM and BIS access

that could be a problem to your plans.
    08-16-13 01:32 AM
77 1234