Refering to:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/uae-says-blackberry-dispute-resolved/article1748923/?service=mobile

I am curious as to how RIM is going about this. Perhaps information will be given to government upon request; or are they giving them the key to de-crypt RIM's encryption? ...which would mean we're all vulnerable, theoretically.

-bundy
    10-08-10 04:24 AM
    I don't feel vulnerable at all. I have nothing to be concerned about, in terms of surveillance. If they want to ready racy comments that I make to my husband, so be it. I don't care. If they publish them, that's another matter entirely.

Really, not one of us has as much privacy as it is generally thought.
    10-08-10 09:00 AM
    They are probably giving them access to their own BIS, this will not allow them to look at other providers BIS. So even if you are in Dubai using your US based phone, they shouldn't be able to see your data, just the data of the phones that are registered to the BIS for users in country.
    10-08-10 09:06 AM
    They are *supposedly* setting up another BIS instance. But even so...I really couldn't care. If I'm there and I really want something absolutely private, I "engage" Mr. Qbnkelt.....
    10-08-10 09:08 AM
    UAE says BlackBerry dispute resolved
    RIM’s BlackBerry services will not be suspended on Oct. 11 in the United Arab Emirates
    The Emirates telecommunications regulator confirmed that a deal had been reached with RIM that brought the devices into compliance with local laws.

The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority provided few details, but said “no suspension of service will occur" Monday as previously planned, according to a statement carried by state news agency WAM.

The wording of the announcement suggested the reprieve was permanent.

The TRA acknowledged “the positive engagement and collaboration of Research In Motion in reaching this regulatory compliant outcome."

It wasn't clear what concessions, if any, the Canadian device maker made to avert the ban.
    I think the confidance is high, RIM does not provide a special deal for any Nation State, but does support the needs of all law enforsment agencies, in a consistant manner.

Dubai and the UAE backed themselves into a corner and they have taken a face saving route back to normal.

are they giving them the key to de-crypt RIM's encryption? ...
    Not a chance. RIM can not give ground on this issue, it is not in their power to do it, by design.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bla...an-uae-535218/
    10-08-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD