BlackBerry level security is not a selling point to most businesses either.

For most BYOD phones the primary function is email. Almost all email is accessible via any web browser or internet connected device. If you allow your employees to check work email from home why wouldn't you let them check from their phone?
    Because then the employer's corporate data within the mail, calendar, contacts, tasks and notes apps, is within the grasps of any other app, fair or foul, installed and running on the employees personal phone.

For example, running WhatsApp? Well all your work Contact data has just been uploaded to WhatsApp's severs to do with as they please, even though it's your employer's data and not yours.

And if that work Contact data contains information that could identify an individual outside of work, a full name and private address or private phone number for example then in the European Union you will have just broken the law, in the UK namely the Data Protection Act. Your employer could be fined up to 500,000 UK Pounds and you would most certainly be looking for a new job, with that on your reference.

There are similar laws in developed countries around the world to protect data that could identity an individual that has been collected through work activities.

I'm not saying a lot of companies don't allow their employees to sync their work mail to a personal device with no containerisation to protect work data but they are running huge risks. I haven't even touched on disgruntled or bribed employees leaking corporate data to rival companies or whoever wants it.

Simply enforcing device encryption and remote wipe via Exchange ActiveSync is all most companies require.
    Have you got such a phone on ActiveSync with no MDM client? If so then here is an eye opener for you. Call your IT department and pretend you have forgotten your password to unlock your phone (please tell me they enforce a password on your phone at least?).

When they tell you that they can't reset it for you so the only option will be to wipe the entire contents of your phone, suddenly have a moment of inspiration and "remember" your password again. Then hangup and email your IT department with a link to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10:

http://www.blackberry.com/bes10

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.0.1803 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    01-16-14 08:45 PM

Some people around here just hate Apple for whatever reasons, and can't admit that they do make great products! It's crazy. It's the same blindness that I hate when people refuse to accept BlackBerry's strengths.
    Please point out to me, anywhere in any post on this thread where I stated or even alluded to hating Apple. I don't need any emotional response to Apple in order to understand that their computers, along with every other computer ever made, is susceptible to some degree, to malware/viruses.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    01-16-14 08:55 PM
    I think "privacy" is a better frame than security. Unless you're a spy on VIP, you have no use for security, but everyone has things they'd prefer to be kept private. BlackBerry is very good at that.

Apple, by the way, is not. Apple participates in Prism. IMessages, unlike BBMs, are logged. The only way anyone is getting your BBMs is if one of your contacts grants physical access to their device, like A - rod's dealer did.

Apple's security foibles are seemingly endless. The Mac book's webcam can be activated stealthily. The IPhone's fancy fingerprint password (your fingerprint - think about that) is essentially useless as it can be bypassed by anyone who can jailbreak your phone (can't do that to a BlackBerry). There are recent credible allegations of backdoors (Google News search "Dropout Jeep iPhone").

Apple's PR department does a great job of denying everything and putting pretty lipstick on the pig that is Apple's security, but in reality, BlackBerry wins hands down on this front.

But I think they should market it as protecting privacy, not so much security.
    Karan Mohal and johnnyuk like this.
    01-16-14 09:13 PM
    I'm sure Macs CAN get viruses, but I've owned two in the last seven years, and both run as good as the first day I bought them.

Viruses just don't plague Macs the way they do PCs. My mom has a new PC, just got it in 2013, and has already had to install Norton and McAfee and other stuff. I've never had anything go wrong on my Mac Book and retina Mac Book Pro (or my iPod touch either). Whatever Apple does, it works, and my computers (probably like yours) haven't slowed down one bit.

Some people around here just hate Apple for whatever reasons, and can't admit that they do make great products! It's crazy. It's the same blindness that I hate when people refuse to accept BlackBerry's strengths.

Anyways, I love your original post. It's becoming clear that BlackBerry isn't trying to get regular consumers anymore, so BES10 and their security strengths should be on display for potential and current business/government customers to take notice. Does this matter to regular customers? NOPE! But BlackBerry is now not really for them anyways.
    Macs can get virus's just as PC's can. They simply don't often because of the small market share. When people write viruses, the purpose is to affect as many devices as possible and as wide spread as possible. It's simply not as compelling to affect the (relatively) few Mac computers vs the massive number of PC's out there. This is not from an "I hate Apple" standpoint as you suggest. I have a Mac and I love it, but it doesn't change the fact that they can get viruses although they are very far and few between.
    Barljo and Karan Mohal like this.
    01-16-14 09:14 PM
    What can they come up with that hasn't been thought up already? Innovation is dead in the mobile market. Only innovation their is is in hardware. Every platform does basically the same stuff but differently. I consider BB10 all the innovation BlackBerry needs. The things it does with QNX is innovative imho.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. It's natural we see the best there is to offer and say wow, this can't be beaten, what will they do? But there is more to innovate, and innovate somebody will... and we will be blown away by it. Whether it's blackberry is a different question.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 04:38 AM
30 12