The new CEO has said some great things and has a very positive outlook on BBRY, which is fantastic. The one topic he emphasized was that "the primary focus will be on querty keyboards" which, as a Q 10 owner, hats off to Mr. Chen. However, another topic I see everywhere, is "blackberry aims to be the most secure smartphone". Now before I get slammed on by everyone, I want to state that I do not know if those words came out of Chen's mouth, but it looks like this is how BlackBerry is trying to market the platform to allure new users.

Here's my outlook, I am not a tech wizard, but I am a tech enthusiast and also a business man. every corporation knows that BlackBerry is know for security with BES and bbm for private messages. So yes, we know BlackBerry is very very secure. With that being said, so are apple devices. Anyone who owns an apple product, whether it be a macbook or ipad (which I own both) knows that you WILL NEVER get a virus on apples OS. It's just a fact, and compared to a regular PC where you need norton or macfee implemented to keep viruses away, apple is top notch with security. So if someone wants to add in and explain what makes BlackBerry more secure than apple, please do because as I said I am not ignorant and I admit what I do not know. What I do know, is that many corporations use iphones as their daily drivers for employees.

Considering the world we live in today, with all of the social media out there (instagram, facebook, twitter) privacy and security is almost something NO ONE cares about. Between people checking it at a location on FB, updating a status of every move they make detailing every aspect of their life, the society has become so open, that I do not feel that marketing a company on the combeack (BlackBerry) as the phones most secured phone, is just not appealing!

We need to market this phone for what it has, not what it shares with other devices. For instance:

- HUB - message formatted to perfection, having all of your correspondence in ONE place for the utmost convenuence
    - Keyboard - if your always on the run, and as busy as the rest of us, do you want to be tapping on glass, making errors and having to correct every message you send because of the inaccuracy of touch screen devices
    - hardware - market this product, especially the Q10, as a solid built device that is not only thin, lightweight, and has a full querty keyboard, but has blazing fast LTE speeds and full HTML 5 Web browsing experience
    Battery life - our society is glued to our phone. From emails to texting to social media. Although the battery life on the iphone is good, throw numbers out there, 2100 mh battery compared to 1800? (not sure) with a smaller screen, that averages 12 hours with heavy usage. Iphones generally lasts half that long

Also a note for the marketing team at BlackBerry:

You are salesman. The persuader, the influence of the company. Focus on what the blackberry has, not what it lacks. DO not market an "upcoming update that will give access to android apps" yes this is a good thing, but it is not here yet, and if you market this, and there's even the slightest delay, consumers will leave, bottom line. Sell! Sell! Sell this company, the products, the devices, give the consumers a vision of why they need this device!

Purpose of this thread, is to give input, and to help a company I love and the phones I love. If anyone internal has any questions email me at [email protected]. I would be more than happy to help save the company that I love.

Posted via CB10
    Bballbenb and SK122387 like this.
    01-15-14 09:33 AM
    Security is, unfortunately, not a major consideration for the consumer market.

Sad to say, but true. It's the main reason I use BlackBerry devices.
    Baber Sultan and JeepBB like this.
    01-15-14 09:46 AM
    Absolutely love this post and think you are dead on. Blackberry has to find a target market and I think business/security can be that.

Just recently read an article on how the search engine DuckDuckGo became so popular after all the NSA things because they do not track. There searches were in the billions! I would love to see BB use DDG as their primary search engine on their browser.

Doing things like this and marketing towards security can do nothing but attract. The demand is there ever since Snowden leaked the info. Whose going to captilize on it remains?
    01-15-14 10:59 AM
    Security is, unfortunately, not a major consideration for the consumer market.

Sad to say, but true. It's the main reason I use BlackBerry devices.
    I agreed.
    When your average consumer shops for phone. They usually
    1) look at what their friends have
    2) look at the physical appearance of the phone
    3) look at the display quality
    4) look at how entrench they are with the ecosystem of the current phone.
    5) assume there is a password lock screen for security.
    5)
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-15-14 11:07 AM
    People do care about security, they're just not so keen on guarding their privacy, as the use of facebook, twitter, etc. shows, but data security matters. A BlackBerry is most secure when it comes to the data stored on a locked and properly encrypted handset and micro sd card.
    01-15-14 11:13 AM
    Just a point of note- the other thread is about something new called Blackphone. Not related to blackberry, so I'm pretty sure they're not Mr Chen's words!

It's also been said many times, particularly with reference to BB10, that a standard persons normal blackberry is no more secure than any other phone. BES it what makes it more secure, but still not perfectly secure.

I think it's generally acknowledged too that there's few viruses for MacOS down to their marketshare. That may change, but it may not.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 12:38 PM
    Are you kidding? Most people don't even have a password-protected lock screen, and they don't UNDERSTAND security enough to make it functional. Sure, power users do, but the average consumer just ASSUMES that security and privacy is something that the smartphone vendor takes care of, and not something they should have to worry about.

Businesses, especially big ones, care about security, but even many of them can find solutions they can live with on other platforms. Regulated businesses, and certain other big enterprises, are legally obligated to make more of an effort, and right now, that's BB's target audience, because they are the "low-hanging fruit". That makes sense, but it also means that once those are covered, convincing companies to go BB (or stay BB) is only going to get harder and harder.
    JeepBB and aniym like this.
    01-15-14 12:41 PM
    The new CEO has said some great things and has a very positive outlook on BBRY, which is fantastic. The one topic he emphasized was that "the primary focus will be on querty keyboards" which, as a Q 10 owner, hats off to Mr. Chen. However, another topic I see everywhere, is "blackberry aims to be the most secure smartphone". Now before I get slammed on by everyone, I want to state that I do not know if those words came out of Chen's mouth, but it looks like this is how BlackBerry is trying to market the platform to allure new users.

Here's my outlook, I am not a tech wizard, but I am a tech enthusiast and also a business man. every corporation knows that BlackBerry is know for security with BES and bbm for private messages. So yes, we know BlackBerry is very very secure. With that being said, so are apple devices. Anyone who owns an apple product, whether it be a macbook or ipad (which I own both) knows that you WILL NEVER get a virus on apples OS. It's just a fact, and compared to a regular PC where you need norton or macfee implemented to keep viruses away, apple is top notch with security. So if someone wants to add in and explain what makes BlackBerry more secure than apple, please do because as I said I am not ignorant and I admit what I do not know. What I do know, is that many corporations use iphones as their daily drivers for employees.

Considering the world we live in today, with all of the social media out there (instagram, facebook, twitter) privacy and security is almost something NO ONE cares about. Between people checking it at a location on FB, updating a status of every move they make detailing every aspect of their life, the society has become so open, that I do not feel that marketing a company on the combeack (BlackBerry) as the phones most secured phone, is just not appealing!

We need to market this phone for what it has, not what it shares with other devices. For instance:

- HUB - message formatted to perfection, having all of your correspondence in ONE place for the utmost convenuence
    - Keyboard - if your always on the run, and as busy as the rest of us, do you want to be tapping on glass, making errors and having to correct every message you send because of the inaccuracy of touch screen devices
    - hardware - market this product, especially the Q10, as a solid built device that is not only thin, lightweight, and has a full querty keyboard, but has blazing fast LTE speeds and full HTML 5 Web browsing experience
    Battery life - our society is glued to our phone. From emails to texting to social media. Although the battery life on the iphone is good, throw numbers out there, 2100 mh battery compared to 1800? (not sure) with a smaller screen, that averages 12 hours with heavy usage. Iphones generally lasts half that long

You are salesman. The persuader, the influence of the company. Focus on what the blackberry has, not what it lacks. DO not market an "upcoming update that will give access to android apps" yes this is a good thing, but it is not here yet, and if you market this, and there's even the slightest delay, consumers will leave, bottom line. Sell! Sell! Sell this company, the products, the devices, give the consumers a vision of why they need this device!

Purpose of this thread, is to give input, and to help a company I love and the phones I love. If anyone internal has any questions email me at [email protected]. I would be more than happy to help save the company that I love.

Posted via CB10
    I hate to inform you that you are dead wrong on the fact that Apple's OS is immune to virus'

Im surprised that noone else had corrected you on this yet.

That statement is so wrong, im not even going to bother pasting a bunch of links proving the point- just go do a search yourself.
    01-15-14 03:41 PM
    People only care about security when it's too late. If something happens, they rage. Until then, they don't care at all.
    01-15-14 03:42 PM
    I hate to inform you that you are dead wrong on the fact that Apple's OS is immune to virus'

Im surprised that noone else had corrected you on this yet.

That statement is so wrong, im not even going to bother pasting a bunch of links proving the point- just go do a search yourself.
    If I am wrong than let me rephrase:
    With all of my experience.. 2 macbook pros 2 macbook airs and 2 ipad minis "I" have never had a problem with a virus. I don't exactly take precaution either while surfing the Web. Also note that none of my peers have had any problems (every single one of them never experienced anything) ALSO my father who works in the IT field who is a manager for a very big firm, acknowledges how apple basically IS immune to viruses. Not sure if you are an apple hater and just trying to be negative. However, your point is heard

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 09:54 PM
    With all of my experience.. 2 macbook pros 2 macbook airs and 2 ipad minis "I" have never had a problem with a virus. I don't exactly take precaution either while surfing the Web. Also note that none of my peers have had any problems (every single one of them never experienced anything) ALSO my father who works in the IT field who is a manager for a very big firm, acknowledges how apple basically IS immune to viruses. Not sure if you are an apple hater and just trying to be negative. However, your point is heard

Posted via CB10
    I'd say you and your family/peers are not a big enough sampe size to make a statement like "Apple cannot get a virus" and then call it fact.

There are a couple of reasons that people have this misconception about Apple, one being that there are vastly more windows based PCs out there today vs Apple.. it follows that there would naturally be more software for a dominant platform, whether that's legitimate software, or malware and viruses. That being said there is plenty of malware, exploits, vulnerabilities, and viruses for Apple's OS'.. like I said in my previous post, go look for yourself.

I have used windows PCs (among others) for over 15 years, and can honestly say I've never gotten a virus. I can say the same for my peers; But im pretty sure this doesn't mean windows is invulnerable.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 10:19 PM
    I'd say you and your family/peers are not a big enough sampe size to make a statement like "Apple cannot get a virus" and then call it fact.

There are a couple of reasons that people have this misconception about Apple, one being that there are vastly more windows based PCs out there today vs Apple.. it follows that there would naturally be more software for a dominant platform, whether that's legitimate software, or malware and viruses. That being said there is plenty of malware, exploits, vulnerabilities, and viruses for Apple's OS'.. like I said in my previous post, go look for yourself.

I have used windows PCs (among others) for over 15 years, and can honestly say I've never gotten a virus. I can say the same for my peers; But im pretty sure this doesn't mean windows is invulnerable.

Posted via CB10
    You are correct, I stand corrected. However, it was not the purpose of this thread, to talk about apple macs vs PCs

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 05:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry doesn't share the same security encryption. BlackBerry uses ECC encryption while Apple and Android use RSA encryption. RSA can be hacked more easily than ECC. Because BlackBerry uses ECC encryption it can not be rooted or jailbroken which means no backdoor for the NSA to implant malicious software. I would believe every device uses AES-25 for enterprise security purposes especially if they're on BES10. Privacy according to using social networks is up to the user on what they want others to know. Things like your location at the time of posting is your choice. Plus I don't know if other platforms do this, maybe Apple does, but after you download an app you do get your permissions and you can set your permissions through the "Security and Privacy" setting.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jerale Hoard; 01-16-14 at 08:31 AM.
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    01-16-14 08:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually I believe you are right because just like BlackBerry, Apple also has a proprietary OS which means it's closed source. Apple and BlackBerry has always been the only two OS devices that uses the closed garden concept while with Android it's open. One thing Apple devices aren't prone to are crashes but viruses, I've never heard of with an Apple device. My grandparents use Apple devices and I've never heard them complain about any viruses.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 08:27 AM
    Actually I believe you are right because just like BlackBerry, Apple also has a proprietary OS which means it's closed source. Apple and BlackBerry has always been the only two OS devices that uses the closed garden concept while with Android it's open. One thing Apple devices aren't prone to are crashes but viruses, I've never heard of with an Apple device. My grandparents use Apple devices and I've never heard them complain about any viruses.

Posted via CB10
    Ok im saying this one more time, then you guys can return to la-la land. APPLE IS NOT IMMUME TO VIRUS' . Yes, this remains true even though your friends have Apple computers and have never gotten a virus.

A proprietary OS is not an invulnerable OS. For example, Microsoft Windows is a proprietary OS. Microsoft Windows is not invulnerable. BBOS/BB10 is proprietary, it is not invulnerable. iOS/OSx is proprietary, iOS/OSx is NOT INVULNERABLE...

And to the OP, I do understand that this thread was not created to debate Apple security, but when I see blatantly false statements posted as fact, I respond. I would hate for some other user to come along, read your post, and become as misinformed as you seem to be about security.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    01-16-14 10:34 AM
    Security ( to point out the obvious here) is the biggest concern for business customers, unfortunately not ur average consumer ( although of course security and privacy) are important for everyone, from a marketing point of view, the businesses know already, blackberry has a good reputation for security.

For the average consumer, not a marketing point to make... not sure it would create converters..

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 01:11 PM
    When marketing to business, go security. When marketing to consumers, go...um...

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    01-16-14 06:16 PM
    BlackBerry level security is not a selling point to most businesses either.

For most BYOD phones the primary function is email. Almost all email is accessible via any web browser or internet connected device. If you allow your employees to check work email from home why wouldn't you let them check from their phone? Simply enforcing device encryption and remote wipe via Exchange ActiveSync is all most companies require.

Yes, you can 'defeat' EAS by removing the profile from the phone. That serves the same purpose - work email is no longer accessible so work doesn't care if they can't remotely wipe the device. Problem solved!
    01-16-14 06:37 PM
    Not exactly. What the company aims to do, is promote BES10 and its well known security. This is device agnostic, and will work on several OSes like Android, iOS, and BBOS/BB10.

This is the main interest for the company.

That being said, in order to promote BES10, there will still be some accessories, with increased features, and this is what BB10 is all about. BB10 is just a means to sell more BES10.

BES10 is the car, and BB10 is the additional lateral airbag.

Now if you look in the long term, as Chen said in the Bloomberg interview at the beginning of CES2014, a possible future may be that BB10 will be found on smartphones that are not from BlackBerry. BB10 will then be competing directly with Android and WindowsPhone. You can for example imagine a Chinese manufacturer designing dual-SIM smartphones with the BlackBerry10 OS.

To follow the analogy, BES10 is the car, BB10 is the additional lateral airbag, and BlackBerry smartphones are the 7.1 sound system.
    01-16-14 06:52 PM
    Security will not cut it. Going to have to come up with something innovative

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 07:04 PM
    I don't think I'm misinformed at all my friend. As other posters have agreed with what I said numerous times. Maybe too much kiddy porn for you..I guess that will give you viruses.. your best bet karan.. ignore this forum and go somewhere else

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure Macs CAN get viruses, but I've owned two in the last seven years, and both run as good as the first day I bought them.

Viruses just don't plague Macs the way they do PCs. My mom has a new PC, just got it in 2013, and has already had to install Norton and McAfee and other stuff. I've never had anything go wrong on my Mac Book and retina Mac Book Pro (or my iPod touch either). Whatever Apple does, it works, and my computers (probably like yours) haven't slowed down one bit.

Some people around here just hate Apple for whatever reasons, and can't admit that they do make great products! It's crazy. It's the same blindness that I hate when people refuse to accept BlackBerry's strengths.

Anyways, I love your original post. It's becoming clear that BlackBerry isn't trying to get regular consumers anymore, so BES10 and their security strengths should be on display for potential and current business/government customers to take notice. Does this matter to regular customers? NOPE! But BlackBerry is now not really for them anyways.
    01-16-14 07:05 PM
    Ok im saying this one more time, then you guys can return to la-la land. APPLE IS NOT IMMUME TO VIRUS' . Yes, this remains true even though your friends have Apple computers and have never gotten a virus.

A proprietary OS is not an invulnerable OS. For example, Microsoft Windows is a proprietary OS. Microsoft Windows is not invulnerable. BBOS/BB10 is proprietary, it is not invulnerable. iOS/OSx is proprietary, iOS/OSx is NOT INVULNERABLE...

And to the OP, I do understand that this thread was not created to debate Apple security, but when I see blatantly false statements posted as fact, I respond. I would hate for some other user to come along, read your post, and become as misinformed as you seem to be about security.
    With QNX BlackBerry shouldn't have any issues with any viruses. The only way I believe an OS to be "invulnerable" is by letting in any malicious malware which imo means that Android is more vulnerable to viruses than any of the other OSs. I have heard of Apple iOS having malicious apps entered into Apple Store and I do know BlackBerry can run malicious Android apps but with the way QNX is designed it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 07:25 PM
    Security will not cut it. Going to have to come up with something innovative

Posted via CB10
    What can they come up with that hasn't been thought up already? Innovation is dead in the mobile market. Only innovation their is is in hardware. Every platform does basically the same stuff but differently. I consider BB10 all the innovation BlackBerry needs. The things it does with QNX is innovative imho.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 07:31 PM
    Anyone who owns an apple product, whether it be a macbook or ipad (which I own both) knows that you WILL NEVER get a virus on apples OS. It's just a fact, and compared to a regular PC where you need norton or macfee implemented to keep viruses away, apple is top notch with security.
    Apple's marketing department must be proud of themselves as you believe exactly what Apple want you to believe, that their Operating Systems are somehow magically impervious to viruses.

Oops...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fir...06.Hs0u3a7VCbE

This particular iPhone virus was especially embarrassing as it was right there in the curated and manually checked App Store waiting for unsuspecting victims to install it...

http://24megabytes.com/first-iphone-...ssian-company/

The misconceptions that Apple's computer products don't or even worse can't be affected by viruses started when Apple's desktop/laptop MacOS marketshare collapsed in the late 90's. Compared to Windows which dwarfed, and still does dwarf, MacOS marketshare it is less LIKELY that someone nasty would write a virus specifically to target MacOS as they would stand to gain so much more by targeting the majority of computers that run Windows. It was a degree of security through obscurity, but only to a degree, there still were, still are and still will be MacOS viruses.

http://drtech.bangordailynews.com/20.../#.UtiIZTj_TZs

The misconception of Apple's imperviousness to viruses was played on by Apple to good effect, and why not if it helped sales, and it still persisted when iOS came on to the scene. Apple try very hard, harder than Google, to ensure that as much as humanly possible viruses are not a common problem on iOS and don't make it in to the App Store, but they haven't always succeeded.

Outside of the App Store there are viruses out there that specifically target Jailbroken iOS devices as they can be caught with their guard down the easiest. At one point all iPhone's had the same default root password "alpine". The average iPhone user of the time could barely change his or her underwear unassisted nevermind change the default root password of his or her iPhone. The user of a jailbroken iPhone could easily be tempted to a website where a trojan download was waiting for just such a device to come along and he or she wouldn't know what hit them.

BlackBerry phones have far more robust layers of security to prevent "rooting". With the resources available even to a skilled hacking group it is difficult to the point that it may as well be called impossible to root a BlackBerry. If they could do it they would have done it by now just to prove they could. Nobody could do it without BlackBerry's help and they aren't about to help anyone do it.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.0.1803 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 01-16-14 at 08:53 PM.
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    01-16-14 07:49 PM
    Mike this should tell you what Blackberry is all about...

01-16-14 08:06 PM
30 12