It may be more involved than that. This is what I am worried about. From everything I have been told, this has to go through the carriers as a security update. IF it is only the android player, then yes, you are correct. I have a feeling it is core OS though.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...verview_en.pdf
    From what BlackBerry said in their statement about working with their "carrier partners", I'd say this is an OS vulnerability.
    02-07-14 04:39 AM
    A vulnerability is always a bug, but a bug can be other things than a vulnerability.
    Calling it a bug is not incorrect - just not very specific.

I assume som ACL checking is failing on the API to read the contacts.

From What content is in my work space and my personal space? - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0 you can see the list of apps, that may show data from both work and personal:

• BlackBerry Hub
    • BlackBerry Remember
    • Bluetooth
    • Calendar
    • Contacts
    • NFC
    • Search

I wonder where the Android apps "plug-in". I *guess* it could be an API from the Contacts app...
    Has anybody tried other types of data like Calendar?
    Android is not supposed to be even aware of the work space. The more I read the documentation the more worried I am this is NOT an android thing but it is an OS issue.

I also disagree that all vulnerabilities are bugs. Some are flaws in design.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin and JeepBB like this.
    02-07-14 05:22 AM
    Android is not supposed to be even aware of the work space. The more I read the documentation the more worried I am this is NOT an android thing but it is an OS issue.

I also disagree that all vulnerabilities are bugs. Some are flaws in design.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps it has to do with the way BlackBerry engineers implemented the Dalvik VM?
    The work space is merely a secure container within the OS, so it stands to reason that the Dalvik VM is always 'on' and cannot be isolated from the work space without removing it from BB10.

I'd hazard a guess that this vulnerability has been present in BB10 since conception (it's just now we're hearing about it).
    johnnyuk likes this.
    02-07-14 07:42 AM
    I'm having a problem with my contact list completely not appearing. The problem goes away when I restart the phone. I wonder if some android app causes this in 10.2.1....

Attachment 245835

Posted via CB10 1.4.4 on Z10 10.2.1.537 on the Rogers Network
    02-07-14 09:15 AM
    Perhaps it has to do with the way BlackBerry engineers implemented the Dalvik VM?
    The work space is merely a secure container within the OS, so it stands to reason that the Dalvik VM is always 'on' and cannot be isolated from the work space without removing it from BB10.

I'd hazard a guess that this vulnerability has been present in BB10 since conception (it's just now we're hearing about it).
    eh, not necessarily true. Always on doesnt mean it has low level access. This is likely something they did when they expanded the capabilities of the android VM with 4.2.2 and APKs being recognized by the core OS.
    02-07-14 10:19 AM
    eh, not necessarily true. Always on doesnt mean it has low level access. This is likely something they did when they expanded the capabilities of the android VM with 4.2.2 and APKs being recognized by the core OS.
    Possibly...

Ultimately, we'll never know what's caused this.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    02-07-14 12:24 PM
    The work space is merely a secure container within the OS, [...]
    Can you please elaborate about that ?
    I'd think those two environments were more likely two sessions with different "users" (Windows like).
    In that perspective, I'd point the hub implementation of centralized personal/professional items to be responsible.
    02-10-14 02:40 AM
57 123