I've been wondering about this for a while now. I am questioning whether BB10 is really more secured than Priv with Android. I have read Priv reviews which stated that DTEK would report Facebook accessing the phone hundreds of times a day. So here is my thought. How do I know that BB10 facebook app does not access my Z30 hundreds of times a day. Or say BB10 email app vs. android email app. I use gmail on my phone so is Gmail on my Z30 more secured than Gmail on Priv. How BB10 apps are more secure if they can access location or files.
    I just do not see how BB10 can really be more secured than Android.
    11-30-15 08:31 AM
    Good question. BlackBerry has chosen to monitor something on the Priv and call it privacy. What does that mean for all of the other devices that don't monitor the same thing? Are they not private?
    11-30-15 08:38 AM
    Seriously? Let's just say BlackBerry is built on security. Leaders of nations use BlackBerry. How many leaders do you see use android

Posted via CB10
    skstrials, gfondeur and TCB on Z10 like this.
    11-30-15 08:43 AM
    Seriously? Let's just say BlackBerry is built on security. Leaders of nations use BlackBerry. How many leaders do you see use android

Posted via CB10
    sure. but phones used by the government exactly the same as my z30 ? again how is my z30 more secured than priv if i use gmail as my email ?
    11-30-15 09:33 AM
    sure. but phones used by the government exactly the same as my z30 ?
    Even if Obama, Clinton et al have"enhanced"BlackBerrys, notice they are not using "enhanced" iPhones or androids. There must be a reason.

BB, Still the One
    powereds, bitek, skstrials and 1 others like this.
    11-30-15 10:36 AM
    A BB10 is not more secure or privacy conform by default. You access social networks, you use Google for searching everything, you send mails over Yahoo servers, you store your files in clouds (this means: somewhere, don't know, doesn't matter) and you do other things without any restrictions. Using Gmail and talking about privacy is funny.

If you are indeed interested in privacy and you change seriously your behaviour, your mail servers, your search engine ... you have good chances with a BB10 device, better than on any Android or IOS. You can administrate what your apps can access, you can switch off automatic updates, diagnostic messages and more. You can analyze a lot of what the device does using traffic monitors. On wifi you have an additional bottleneck where every traffic must go through: the router. Analyze the logs of your wifi router, this can be very illuminative.

My Z30 does a background traffic of less than 400 kB per day, mostly to request a BB server (network connection check every 5 minutes) and sending keep alive messages to my two mail servers (this is part of the Push mechanism every 15 minutes). If you avoid Push in your mail accounts and switch to manual synchronization you can even reduce this a bit.
    11-30-15 10:51 AM
    Isn't BlackBerry Priv Vs BB10, is Android Vs BB10, and of course BB10 is more secure, Priv is a great phone, but is Android, nothing more to say.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    11-30-15 11:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Leaders of the world do not use BB10 devices not BBOS devices that the public can purchase. This argument doesn't hold water and it doesn't answer the OP's question.
    11-30-15 04:10 PM
    I've been wondering about this for a while now. I am questioning whether BB10 is really more secured than Priv with Android. I have read Priv reviews which stated that DTEK would report Facebook accessing the phone hundreds of times a day. So here is my thought. How do I know that BB10 facebook app does not access my Z30 hundreds of times a day. Or say BB10 email app vs. android email app. I use gmail on my phone so is Gmail on my Z30 more secured than Gmail on Priv. How BB10 apps are more secure if they can access location or files.
    I just do not see how BB10 can really be more secured than Android.
    I have to admit I don't know the answer to your question. I do know I try to be smart and don't worry about the rest.
    11-30-15 04:12 PM
    BBX is most secure obviously

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 04:13 PM
    Even if Obama, Clinton et al have"enhanced"BlackBerrys, notice they are not using "enhanced" iPhones or androids. There must be a reason.

BB, Still the One
    Hollande has an iPhone. Putin has an android, no?
    11-30-15 07:52 PM
    Looks like I'm wrong LOL. Hollande only uses the iPhone for personal communication and Putin...doesn't have a cell phone! Anyway, it's probably a healthy thing for question what exactly BlackBerry brings to the table. I think if they're going to use security as a selling point, consumers want to know what they actually get that they can't get with iPhone or Android.
    11-30-15 08:09 PM
    I think if they're going to use security
    Privacy. That's why they called it Priv and not Sec.
    as a selling point, consumers want to know what they actually get that they can't get with iPhone or Android.
    And do you know this now? You get a phone which is trustworthy enough not to transfer all your private data again and again onto cloud servers somewhere. Your contacts stay on the phone [1], your calendar events, pictures and other files also, your browser doesn't inform Google again and again what pages you click, you can switch off internet access for any single app. A BB10 device supports you in building your own level of privacy.

[1] indeed I have also my backups nowhere else than on the phone
    12-01-15 04:55 AM
    Looks like I'm wrong LOL. Hollande only uses the iPhone for personal communication and Putin...doesn't have a cell phone! Anyway, it's probably a healthy thing for question what exactly BlackBerry brings to the table. I think if they're going to use security as a selling point, consumers want to know what they actually get that they can't get with iPhone or Android.
    Putin would only use Russian made phone with Russian made os. How blackberry could guaranteed him security with Canada being part of NATO. That is why he has no cell phone. But I am sure if he had to pick one it would be blackberry
    gfondeur likes this.
    12-02-15 10:27 AM
    Can someone please actually answer the question and explain why BB10 is more secure than Priv other than by just saying "because BB10." or "because Android".
    It's a genuine question that many would like to understand. I've been looking into it and can't see the difference - the hardware is protected the same way, you can load the sames apps... so if someone has some knowledge of anything differentiating the two, please share! thanks.
    12-02-15 12:58 PM
    Can someone please actually answer the question and explain why BB10 is more secure than Priv other than by just saying "because BB10." or "because Android".
    It's a genuine question that many would like to understand. I've been looking into it and can't see the difference - the hardware is protected the same way, you can load the sames apps... so if someone has some knowledge of anything differentiating the two, please share! thanks.
    Reasons why BB10 is considered more secure than Android:
    - "VIRUS": have you ever heard of a Virus/malaware on BB10? Do you NEED to install an antivirus software on your BlackBerry?
    - App permission: if I choose Facebook or Whatsapp to NOT gain access to my position, they won't.
    - OS: Without going too much on the technical side, BB10 is NOT rootable. The Priv shouldn't either, but let's what happens in the coming months.
    - Android apps: even if BB10 is capable of running them, they are run into a 'sandbox' that leaves them no control over the OS(if they are malicious).
    - "Control over the phone": there have been reports in the past of Android apps that will "turn on" your location (or other things) without the user being informed.
    - BlackBerry SEEMS not to be spying on you like google does (and admits it fairly). You can browse on google.com, you can use gmail but,on Android, google has "control" on everything because it owns the OS. Not saying google is doing something malicious with everything it collects from you, but it does "spy on your phone".

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur, Yertie and muellerto like this.
    12-02-15 02:17 PM
    Reasons why BB10 is considered more secure than Android:
    - "VIRUS": have you ever heard of a Virus/malaware on BB10? Do you NEED to install an antivirus software on your BlackBerry?
    - App permission: if I choose Facebook or Whatsapp to NOT gain access to my position, they won't.
    - OS: Without going too much on the technical side, BB10 is NOT rootable. The Priv shouldn't either, but let's what happens in the coming months.
    - Android apps: even if BB10 is capable of running them, they are run into a 'sandbox' that leaves them no control over the OS(if they are malicious).
    - "Control over the phone": there have been reports in the past of Android apps that will "turn on" your location (or other things) without the user being informed.
    - BlackBerry SEEMS not to be spying on you like google does (and admits it fairly). You can browse on google.com, you can use gmail but,on Android, google has "control" on everything because it owns the OS. Not saying google is doing something malicious with everything it collects from you, but it does "spy on your phone".

Posted via CB10
    While some of this is true, you live out some vital information:
    - there is more malware on Android, but under 1% is actually from Google play (and is usually removed pretty fast). Users get a lot of malware by installing APKs from various sites. Don't do that.
    - App permissions: it's true hat currently riv doesn't have them, when it will get Android 6 they will be there
    - Root is not the evil people on CB make it out to be. On every PC or Mac out there you have root access to your system and people still use them.
    - I have to admit that I have never read a report about Google turning on location without informing you. Even for location history to be turned on you get two prompts asking you about it before it is turned on. Can you give me such a report?
    - Google doesn't spy as much as people make out to be. If you use 3rd party apps for browser/mail-client/ contacts/ whatever Google won't access any of that information from those apps. It's just that people use Google services and apps because they are some of the best out there.
    12-02-15 02:46 PM
    Of course BB10 is more secure, if for no other reason that you can stop data mining by apps on BB10 and Blackphone, but can't on the priv.
    12-02-15 03:05 PM
    Of course BB10 is more secure, if for no other reason that you can stop data mining by apps on BB10 and Blackphone, but can't on the priv.
    I guess it's coming... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    12-02-15 06:33 PM

BB, Still the One
    Actually Obama is using iPhone now.

Just one more example of BlackBerry 2015/2016 stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 07:20 PM
    While some of this is true, you live out some vital information:
    - Root is not the evil people on CB make it out to be. On every PC or Mac out there you have root access to your system and people still use them.
    On every PC the people have a antivirus running. And still a funny malware a year.
    - Google doesn't spy as much as people make out to be.
    The existence of filter bubbles is a fact for years. Google invented this technology and is still proud on this. The fundament behind this is nothing else than a lot of collected background knowledge about what you do, what you are interested in, what machines you use, where you are and much more.

Last month Google came out with pre-formulated e-mails. What do you think how this works?
    If you use 3rd party apps for browser/mail-client/ contacts/ whatever Google won't access any of that information from those apps.
    This depends a lot on these apps and what programming interfaces and Android components are used. You can't make such a statement in general. Every internet capable 3rd party app uses at least lower OS layers.

What about your personal data? What about your contacts, your calendar events, pictures, videos, backups? Do you also use secure and privacy conform 3rd party software?

A lot of Google's activities don't even depend on the browser, they run on the website. Almost every website tracks you regardless of which browser software you use. And a lot of this tracking data go back to Google again because Google placed their ads on this website.
    It's just that people use Google services and apps because they are some of the best out there.
    People are noncritical in regard to Google because people dont't care about anything and Google doesn't cost anything. These are the two idiotic reasons. People have never seen their own data, people don't even know what data are and what you can do with them. People have also never seen Google, they can't even imagine what Google is. People don't make the relation between Google or any other big company like Amazon, Apple or facebook and their own lives, they think this is one way only, but this relation has two sides. And the second, the hidden one makes you pay for all that you use from Google. And you pay a lot. And it's absolutely frightening that this must be explained here every day again and again.
    gfondeur, smart548 and sorinv like this.
    12-03-15 02:07 AM
    Yes bb10 is the most secure os available commercialy on any phone. As a programmer I can tell you android is full of bugs, exploits, and is generally an "unfinished" os that dissapoints almost every time, in any regard
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-10-16 03:44 AM
    Security thru obscurity. :P
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-10-16 05:58 AM