I never used a Nokia's OS so I cant comment on it as far as security but I have used M.S. O.S. and what pisses off the most about it is its open to so much malware, spyware and viruses. I got to admit the WebOs does look good and all but what about those factors of security that has known to plague M.S. Plus the fact that those same three factors are now becoming more and more a common threat in mobile OS, how security will a WebOS be over BB10?

I trust BB 120% when it comes to banking and amongst other important personal matters but to me WebOS hasnt given me that sense of assurance. I just wanted to bring this topic up because I never seen it touch on in comparing the two platforms.
    Last edited by roderickwill; 07-15-12 at 10:14 PM.
    07-15-12 09:05 PM
    Are you the same person from the AGM?
    07-15-12 09:29 PM
    I never used a Nokia's OS so I cant comment on it as far as security but I have used M.S. O.S. and what pisses off the most about it is its open to so much malware, spyware and viruses. I got to admit the WebOs does look good and all but what about those factors of security that has known to plague M.S. Plus the fact that those same three factors are now becoming more and more a common threat in mobile OS, how security will a WebOS be over BB10?

I trust BB 120% when it comes to banking and amongst other important personal matters but to me WebOS hasnt given me that sense of assurance. I just wanted to bring this topic up because I never seen it touch on in comparing the two platforms.
    WebOS is dead. I'm assuming that a BB10 phone that won't be out until next year will have higher security than a phone that was discontinued a year ago.
    07-15-12 11:05 PM
    You know this is a good question.

Android is plagued with viruses because its open source and anyone can put an app on the market.

With rim saying bb10 is going to be open source may prove a bit of difficulty but I don't see them allowing virus plagued apps in the world. They have to accept them before they actually get launched in the world.

So IMO I don't believe we will have issues with bb10. I could be wrong but I'm putting my faith in rim on this one.
    07-15-12 11:21 PM
    Its possible to slip things through when things are open source. Therefore security decreases slightly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-16-12 12:13 AM
    Android is plagued with viruses because its open source and anyone can put an app on the market.

With rim saying bb10 is going to be open source...
    When did they say this?
    Last edited by Masahiro; 07-16-12 at 12:28 AM.
    07-16-12 12:16 AM
    When did they say this?

Back at the event in jan/feb. Think it was bbworld.

"One of the biggest complaints I heard when I joined the company was from developers who said, you know, I can't use open source on Blackberry OS and that means it takes longer to write code for Blackberry and makes it more expensive," commented Alec Saunders, VP of developer relations at RIM.

Saunders followed up with customary superlatives by saying that RIM is "super committed" to open source. He also suggested that the SDK will become an appealing amalgam of open source, multimedia, and general-purpose libraries. There will also be gaming frameworks, scripting languages, physics engines, and code samples and snippets.
    07-16-12 12:21 AM
    The BB10 OS itself is not open source. Many of the developer tools available are open source.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-16-12 12:37 AM
    "One of the biggest complaints I heard when I joined the company was from developers who said, you know, I can't use open source on Blackberry OS and that means it takes longer to write code for Blackberry and makes it more expensive," commented Alec Saunders, VP of developer relations at RIM.
    Open source apps does not mean open source OS, especially when compared to Android.
    07-16-12 12:44 AM
    Android is something else, it's not the same open source... the OS (on bb10) is not open source, only the development tools and such things that will allow people to enjoy developing thing for it.
    07-16-12 01:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD