Guys what secure email and cloud services do you use?

Thanks

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    diegonei likes this.
    02-23-15 07:24 PM
    Exxpecting to see:
    • Lots of unsecure free email suggestions;
    • Almost no suggestions of paid services

In 3..2..1..

(Subscribed as this is a very interesting topic)

Dunno email, but BOX and Tresorit are supposed to be point-to-point encrypted cloud services. Both available on BlackBerry World.
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-23-15 at 08:34 PM.
    02-23-15 08:24 PM
    It's my understanding that any major provider (such as Google and Microsoft) use encryption when their emails are in transit. These would be "secure email" providers. So if you send email from your Gmail address to an Outlook.com message, it will be encrypted all the way.

You lose the encryption when you email a server that doesn't support encryption, these are likely people who host their own servers or go with cheap hosting/email solutions. Google has a webpage on this: Safer email ? Transparency Report ? Google You'll find neat stats plus a list of providers who support encryption.

As for cloud solutions, again, Google and Microsoft encrypt all data during transit and while your data is stored on their servers. I think Dropbox does this too.

I personally use Google for all that jazz.

Hope this helps.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-23-15 09:03 PM
    Most standard emails (gmail, outlook yahoo) use a standardized encyption for transfers SSL most likely. But gmail and outlook have both been caught scanning your emails to target ads.

Some end to end encrypted services (or zero knowledge as they call it, meaning even they cannot see) I have come across typically offer a free version with premium upgrades and also usually let you handle the keys yourself.. some of the more promising ones are unseen.is, protonmail.ch and lavaboom.com

The privacy policies for those 3 sound good and the servers are hosted in Iceland Switzerland and Germany respectively, which are known to have good privacy rights. (I would advise to read policies for services like these)

As far as cloud storage, Box is enterprise certified and is integrated well into BB10, they do however have control over the keys in the situation of warrants. Dropbox like Microsoft version I wouldn't use as they have links to Prism.

Some "Zero-knowledge" cloud storages would be Mega (in BlackBerry World) and Spideroak (have to get android version). They are both encrypted in a way even they cannot see.

Again I would read the policies of these to get framiliar with them. I have been researching secure email and storage for a while now and those are my best suggestions to date.. I did find lots more but you also have to be careful with which country they are hosted in.. for example in my research apparently in France emails cannot be encrypted on the servers. It all gets very complex but there's a few sites you can google that have charts comparing a bunch

*Z30 STA100-5 10.2.1.2977/3247*
    diegonei likes this.
    02-23-15 09:44 PM
    You'll have to define what secure means to you. Secure and private used to be thought of synonymously. Now they are very different.

Secure from who? Kiddie scripts, hackers, the government, the providers themselves...

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 09:47 PM
    Also FYI all of the services I have found are not meant to evade authorities and they will hand over data.. but since most of these services do not keep the key on their servers all they would get is encrypted jumble.. but you can't expect to keep anything secret from those secret services.

Although it is a good method to 1) make it harder for them to hack you 2) make it safer against hackers 3) why let google and Microsoft get rich off scanning you emails and selling to ad companies.

02-23-15 09:49 PM
    For me secure means the email provider is not scanning and saving my emails. I have nothing to hide, but don't want all my emails saved on some system.

02-23-15 10:46 PM
    Most standard emails (gmail, outlook yahoo) use a standardized encyption for transfers SSL most likely. But gmail and outlook have both been caught scanning your emails to target ads.

Some end to end encrypted services (or zero knowledge as they call it, meaning even they cannot see) I have come across typically offer a free version with premium upgrades and also usually let you handle the keys yourself.. some of the more promising ones are unseen.is, protonmail.ch and lavaboom.com

The privacy policies for those 3 sound good and the servers are hosted in Iceland Switzerland and Germany respectively, which are known to have good privacy rights. (I would advise to read policies for services like these)

As far as cloud storage, Box is enterprise certified and is integrated well into BB10, they do however have control over the keys in the situation of warrants. Dropbox like Microsoft version I wouldn't use as they have links to Prism.

Some "Zero-knowledge" cloud storages would be Mega (in BlackBerry World) and Spideroak (have to get android version). They are both encrypted in a way even they cannot see.

Again I would read the policies of these to get framiliar with them. I have been researching secure email and storage for a while now and those are my best suggestions to date.. I did find lots more but you also have to be careful with which country they are hosted in.. for example in my research apparently in France emails cannot be encrypted on the servers. It all gets very complex but there's a few sites you can google that have charts comparing a bunch

Awesome answer, thank you.

02-23-15 10:47 PM
    Awesome answer, thank you.

Also just a bit of FYI, a lot of these are in Beta.
    Protonmail.ch will have IMAP support in the future but they don't have a date.

Unseen.is has IMAP now, but if you want app you have to use android version which is resource hog. If you decide to go Premium with unseen you will get 2 email accounts and full control of your keys. Currently (until march) you can get a one time fee lifetime membership that they will be phasing out for monthly.

You can use a code "upgrade30" to save 30% on the lifetime ..

I saw above your main reasoning is similar to me, just the fact google etc is getting rich from scanning and selling. Not that I have anything important to hide.. with that you are only as secure as your weakest link.. if you email somebody on Gmail it's not secure.

Protonmail does have a secure option for gmail tho as it give them a secure link to read the email. If you use unseen they use PGP which will appear as jarble to others unless you figure out how to properly trade keys...

But if emailing somebody on same service ie. unseen to unseen, that's the most secure way.

And BlackBerry Hub stock does not support PGP but there is an app in BBW (pgPGP) that can do the conversions outside the hub

Last edited by midnightdoom; 02-24-15 at 08:32 PM.
    02-24-15 08:17 PM
    I use sync.com. It's Canadian and built with privacy at the forefront.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 08:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm gonna look into this one too. Emailed them to hint at supporting bb10 natively

02-24-15 09:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's not the most secure or private, but I've opted for another Canadian service, hushmail.com

I'm not totally paranoid, and I know they have cooperated with law enforcement in the past.

$10GB, unlimited aliases, IMAP, ~$49 per year. Also a free and web only version available.

PS. former lavabit.com user, those were the days...

  Qchen, with new keyboard :-)  
    02-25-15 05:10 AM
    For me secure means the email provider is not scanning and saving my emails. I have nothing to hide, but don't want all my emails saved on some system.

What do you mean by saving? Saving them after you delete them?
    02-25-15 06:31 AM
    Interesting topic.
    02-25-15 07:25 AM
    That's pretty much every email provider. They all save your emails until you delete them or remove them from their server. And to have any reliable anti-spam solution, they'll be scanning them too.
    02-25-15 08:53 AM
    With Unseen keep in mind that it has an American owner with a US corporate entity and our supreme court has ruled that FISA decrees apply to even the overseas servers of such entities.

Proton mail suffers from neither of these drawbacks.

Sadly if you are concerned about security and privacy you have to get as many non-American options involved as possible.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:24 AM