Can somebody please explain to me what's the point in keeping things a secret. I see absolutely no benefit for anybody or potential loss in communicating what is happening.

If whatsapp is coming out this week say it's coming this week. If there trying to push it out next week then say that. If you have a working bar file for netflix that you modified yourself say that. Say its not a legitimate version and would be subject to some copyright issues if you released it. If you've confirmed a developer will be making a BB10 app but you just have no clue when it will be released just say that.

Enough with the dog and pony show. If you think your keeping things exciting, your not! Your keeping things confusing and frustrating.

The only real reason to keep things secret would be something unofficial. Like some guy in a backroom at Instagram saying there doing something. Announcing that on twitter and it ends up being bull**** is embarrassing. And if that's the case, don't hint at some big news that might or might not be announced in the next 100 years. Keep it to yourself until you have something substantial to report.

Yes we had to wait eternity for BB10, and you all had fun keeping secrets. But it's now released, snap out of that mind set and realize were all blackberry users in the end and real information is what the community wants and needs.

/rant

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 10:56 AM
    The only logical explanation is it is not a sure thing, as far as apps that no one has confirmed.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    richardat likes this.
    03-07-13 10:59 AM
    I have to admit, it is kind of amateurish to be saying some apps may be available at some point somewhere somehow. Just either release it or stfu.
    RECOOL, aniym and jamontoast1291 like this.
    03-07-13 11:36 AM
    It's all up to the developer. Why the runaround? Who knows...

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 11:41 AM
    i agree totally.
    if you know an app is going to be released, just say.

Dont say, "we have a big named app being released this weekend, its going to be huge!"
    i know in your heads you think this will drum up excitement, but all it does is start a discussion, people form their own ideas and get disappointed if it's not what they hoped it would be.
    Try saying "This weekend *generic app name* will be released. It's going to be great!"
    if you're not sure about the developer getting it out on time, then say nothing at all.

building up false expectation is not a smart thing
    03-07-13 12:03 PM
    There's a twitter app for Android, Carbon for Android, that had a situation that explained why secrecy is sometimes a good thing. The developer said very publically that the app was coming in the 'next few days'...and almost a year later the app arrived. He got absolutely roasted for months over it, and it got ugly.

So I can completely understand why some developers choose secrecy instead - his experience was awful...
    MoolahMitch, G-bone and bluetroll like this.
    03-07-13 12:08 PM
    I agree.

10char
    03-07-13 12:11 PM
    There's a twitter app for Android, Carbon for Android, that had a situation that explained why secrecy is sometimes a good thing. The developer said very publically that the app was coming in the 'next few days'...and almost a year later the app arrived. He got absolutely roasted for months over it, and it got ugly.

So I can completely understand why some developers choose secrecy instead - his experience was awful...
    "Viber Comming Soon"...
    03-07-13 12:17 PM

i see that point, but i would prefer they say nothing at all.

i'd rather have a nice surprise rather then built up expectation not being met.

also i thought this thread was to do with Blackberry tweeting about big name apps coming without naming them
    03-07-13 12:22 PM
    i see that point, but i would prefer they say nothing at all.

i'd rather have a nice surprise rather then built up expectation not being met.

also i thought this thread was to do with Blackberry tweeting about big name apps coming without naming them
    I agree on the say nothing at all part. I bet the poor dev wished he hadn't either lol.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    03-07-13 01:08 PM
    Until the apps shows up in App World... do not consider it coming... too many variables and fingers in the pie so to speak... After RIM (Blackberry's) track record with announcing product then not meeting deadlines... it is a smart move not to announce the date... Great example was what happened with Bard's tale.... tweeted how great it was.... will be out next week.... never arived for 5 weeks... just annoys people more than if it is not announced at all...... created hard feelings....
    03-07-13 01:12 PM
    Heres why Im not getting a z10 in the next month:

I don't have a clue whats true and what isn't.

'Kevin' said instagram was coming. Later it emerges he's using some sideloaded old Android version. If I wanted my phone to use the Android version, I'd buy an Android phone. Now I just feel let down, for a device I was interested in, is now fizzled to not caring about. When I upgrade in a month or so, Ill get something I KNOW is supported, not something that a Blackberry apologist suggests might be here sometime in a year or two.
    03-07-13 01:19 PM
    Rule of thumb if it doesn't exist today it doesn't exist. You can't be disappointed then. It's all vaporware until it actually shows up.

Same as the no pic didn't happen rule.

Yea I concur with the STFU about vaporware.
    03-07-13 01:32 PM

Maybe I'm missing something in the story here, because that just seems tantamount to false advertising, for which he very well should be roasted. Was there at least a "mea culpa" in there somewhere? "I underestimated what it would take to code all this, sorry for the delay"?

Anything?
    03-07-13 01:34 PM
    Heres why Im not getting a z10 in the next month:

I don't have a clue whats true and what isn't.

'Kevin' said instagram was coming. Later it emerges he's using some sideloaded old Android version. If I wanted my phone to use the Android version, I'd buy an Android phone. Now I just feel let down, for a device I was interested in, is now fizzled to not caring about. When I upgrade in a month or so, Ill get something I KNOW is supported, not something that a Blackberry apologist suggests might be here sometime in a year or two.
    This is the kind of confusion im talking about.

If somebody asks me when ill be getting whatsapp or Skype on my blackberry. A legitimate question so we can communicate better. What should I tell them, we have no idea and I could go on and on about this guy at blackberry tweeted this, the developer said never, it's a port no wait native cascades. And on and on.

We look to crackberry for the real information, they used to cut through the bull**** and give us what we needed. But with Instagram and netflix there right in the thick of it.

In Instagrams case waiting for another website to post the leak before helping us get it. Even know Kevin previewed it to crackberry over a month prior, then played games with the idea.

Not what we have come to expect over the years.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 01:39 PM
    For the major apps that we already know are coming this month, I think BBRY is using them to build the hype. As for other small apps, it would be up to the devs
    03-07-13 01:54 PM
    It ain't bothering me none - just makes every day more interesting. I'm sure everybody has their reasons for what they do / don't do.
    As long as they get here - and they will get here - then it's all good.
    I'm sure that the whole thing is more difficult than it looks from here...

#BB10Believe
    03-07-13 01:55 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something in the story here, because that just seems tantamount to false advertising, for which he very well should be roasted. Was there at least a "mea culpa" in there somewhere? "I underestimated what it would take to code all this, sorry for the delay"?

Anything?
    He went radio silent for a long time and had a few temper tantrums, then finally admitted he was wrong. Something about Twitter changing the api (which did happen but most thought it was an excuse)

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    Majestic Lion likes this.
    03-07-13 03:23 PM
    BB is getting more media attention (and more positive media attention) than they have in years, and a big part of it has been as a result of all the teasing that BB has done to date.

So far, it seems to be working pretty well, regardless of how silly it may seem...
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    03-07-13 03:25 PM
    I'm hoping Viber is coming soon because that's one of the apps that I really miss (it's great for keeping in touch with friends back home in Vietnam through free calls and text messaging.) since going back to using BlackBerry, which I don't have any regrets though~!

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
    03-07-13 03:39 PM
    If you MUST have the latest versions of Skype, Instagram, and official Facebook, then you should buy an iPhone and stop complaining.

Seriously.

Those are the three iPhone "flagship apps." Complaining that they suck or aren't available on Android, WP, or BB10 is just silly. Stop complaining, get a cheap 4S, and partay.

The folks buying BBs or Androids or WPs are buying them for the other things that they do better (or best).

There's absolutely no reason to hold back from buying that shiny new Apple phone if the top Apple apps are the "must haves" on your list.
    03-07-13 04:26 PM
    I don't think it's secrecy as much as it is being cautious. So many times in the past, BlackBerry would say that an update or something was coming at a certain time, and then it wouldn't. This always resulted in people (myself included) being annoyed, and thinking (for example), "Why would they say OS2 is coming in late summer 2011, when it's really coming in February 2012?"

While it would be nice for BlackBerry to be totally transparent and let us know what's going on with specific app development every step of the way, that's entirely unrealistic. No one will ever be completely happy with the way BlackBerry does things.

Imagine if BlackBerry said, "We plan on launching _________ next week in BlackBerry World," and then a problem arose, maybe a battery drain, and they had to say, "Sorry! There was an issue with battery drain on the Z10 if it ran ___________ for more than an hour, so we don't know when we will be able to put it out--hopefully soon!"

Think of the backlash they'd face. It would be, "Why did BlackBerry even put a 1800 mAh battery in the Z10 to begin with for their flagship phone?!?!??!?!?!?!" "Why didn't BlackBerry start testing the app earlier so it would be released on time?!??!?!" "Yet another LIE from BlackBerry!!!!!!" "Another NAIL IN THE COFFIN!!!"

If this seems off base to you, you clearly haven't spent enough time on these forums.
    03-07-13 05:39 PM
    This morning Alex Kinsella tweeted "Prediction for next week - You'll be downloading WhatsApp on your #BlackBerryZ10"

Despite official support and announcement during the January 30th event. It doesn't calm the masses and people are going to SPAM @BlackBerry and their mom asking why isn't WhatsApp here yet. It'll be over when it's finally released. And to use a lame but relevant saying, Rome wasn't built in a day...
    03-07-13 05:44 PM
    I used to get all wrapped up in those announcements, hanging on every word, but I now just kind of shrug and say
    'Thats nice" No picture no proof. No proof Vaporware. It comes when it comes. Viber coming soon!
    03-07-13 06:20 PM
    Good thread. I like debates and conversations like this. I always kind of chuckle when CrackBerry gets called out on any sort of secret plots of conspiracies or things like that.

The first thing I do is checkout when the person posting became a member. In this case, January 2011. Not bad... but not February 2007... still missing out on several years of CrackBerry member history. Look, we've been running CrackBerry for a long time now. I honestly think we've been through it all. And anybody who's been through the entire ride, the entire journey along the day one, knows the way we "play the game and get in the thick of it". We've been very consistent.

We ALWAYS try and get away with whatever we can get away with when it comes to giving back to our community - whether it's info, things to download (that shouldn't be available to download), contest prizes and anything and everything else. We try and push that line to the limits. Always. In the case where we can't give all back that we can, there's always a reason... which we never can really bring attention to at the time of the post for sort of obvious reasons, that I guess are not always as obvious as I think they are. It's pretty simple. Sometimes we get stuff. The people we get stuff from say "don't distribute this, I don't want to get fired" and then that's that. We wouldn't want to compromise anything. So in the case of an instagram, we gave you guys as much as we could at the time. A tease? Absolutely. Better than nothing? I think so.

As for other things like device release dates and app availability and all that... honestly, sometimes we don't know. Or if we hear things, we're not always willing to put it out there because our confidence level in the info is not that high yet. Over the years we've learned that things change. A lot. Especially things like release dates. Carriers can push them back all they want, so even when you think you have a concrete date it can change. And on the app story side of things, right now things are a bit confusing. I'd love to see more communication from BlackBerry and app devs on this front. I'm sure BlackBerry would like to tell the app story more too - they know how important apps are to the long term success of the platform, and I know they're working hard to onboard apps to the platform. So I'm not sure that it's BlackBerry ou can blame for being "secret about apps" here... I think they're in a similar boat... they can only say what they're able to say, based on the relationships they're working with developers on. And again.. devs don't want to stick to release dates, as it's so easy for them to get pushed back. Heck.. look at our CrackBerry website relaunch. We were full speed ahead aiming for January 20th. It turned into March 6th. Had I been smarter, I would never have mentioned a redesign was coming and just dropped it on the site as a surprise. You can't be late to launch if nobody knows.

With the US launch coming soon, I do think you will see more apps start to hit BB World, and a little more communication from devs as they get closer to their release dates.
    03-07-13 07:02 PM
35 12