My guess would be countries where Google and or apple services is either not allowed or not popular. Both haven't totally taken over the world.
    True, but it's not as if Android is totally removed as an option. Chinese vendors like Xiaomi use AOSP and offer their own apps and services. So if Android/AOSP is an option, why would someone license BB10 instead? AOSP development is still happening, whereas the same can't really be said for BB10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-24-16 04:07 AM
    there is no such thing as "Free" phone. you pay for it. Either in advance, either via monthly fees. but there are no such thing as free cheese.
    I actually got my Priv free from TMO and my bill actually got lower than where it was when I got the Priv.

I probably paid for the Priv when you subtract the difference of what I WAS paying to what I pay NOW

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    10-24-16 06:13 AM
    My guess would be countries where Google and or apple services is either not allowed or not popular. Both haven't totally taken over the world.
    But why PAY for BB10 to licenses it, why pay for hardware drivers for new hardware, why sell something that hasn't seen any develpment for almost two years? And would the markets that aren't allowing Google or Apple services, allow a BB10 powered phone?

With these other LINUX power phones... at least users can get Apps to work on their phone. But with BB10, and it's outdated runtime, that is becoming less and less possible.

The only licensing picture that makes sense is for security devcies.... But I think those customers want some sort of guarantee that this would be a solution they could use today, next month and next year, something that BlackBerry failed to instill confidence in. And something no one other than a BIG player could accomplish.
    10-24-16 08:09 AM
    I actually got my Priv free from TMO and my bill actually got lower than where it was when I got the Priv.

I probably paid for the Priv when you subtract the difference of what I WAS paying to what I pay NOW

did you check, what would be your bill, if you went with the SIM ONLY fixed plan, fixing same tariffs for the same period of time?
    10-26-16 11:00 AM
    did you check, what would be your bill, if you went with the SIM ONLY fixed plan, fixing same tariffs for the same period of time?
    The money that I pay is less than the amount that I was paying previously and I still got the phone.

I agree with you that nothing in this world is free and that along the way that there is going to be some catch with getting a "free" phone.

10-26-16 08:47 PM
    But why PAY for BB10 to licenses it, why pay for hardware drivers for new hardware, why sell something that hasn't seen any develpment for almost two years? And would the markets that aren't allowing Google or Apple services, allow a BB10 powered phone?

With these other LINUX power phones... at least users can get Apps to work on their phone. But with BB10, and it's outdated runtime, that is becoming less and less possible.

The only licensing picture that makes sense is for security devcies.... But I think those customers want some sort of guarantee that this would be a solution they could use today, next month and next year, something that BlackBerry failed to instill confidence in. And something no one other than a BIG player could accomplish.
    At the moment, BB10 is the only modern mobile OS that will work well with a PKB . So if you are a manufacturer looking to fill the market for PKB phones, it's the best (only?) OS to go for.
    toneytone likes this.
    10-26-16 08:49 PM
    The money that I pay is less than the amount that I was paying previously and I still got the phone.

I agree with you that nothing in this world is free and that along the way that there is going to be some catch with getting a "free" phone.

No no.
    the thing is - if you are on the old tariff and you change nothing - you might pay more.
    Usually, if you switch your plan, you can get better deal.

For example, maybe, you could get more minutes/data for same money or the same minutes/data would cost you less than you paid before if you fix a sim only plan for the two years (as this is usually the fix with new phone - you fix it for two years...)

however, there might be some crazy plans where they give phones for free... but the subsidy has to come from somewhere.
    10-27-16 03:31 AM
    At the moment, BB10 is the only modern mobile OS that will work well with a PKB . So if you are a manufacturer looking to fill the market for PKB phones, it's the best (only?) OS to go for.
    android as well.
    10-27-16 03:32 AM
    android as well.
    Oh well... in that case
    10-27-16 07:43 AM
84 ... 234