Not trying to start anything.
    BB10's prospects for success are comical.
    You're cool with that, right?
    I'm cool with considering your opinion comical.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-07-16 07:50 AM
    BlackBerry handsets are still being made, just not by BlackBerry themselves.

And yes, BlackBerry is a software company. And BB10 is software. So why would they not seek to monetize it through licensing agreements if they can?

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    I agree on the license model. We'll have to wait and see if these handsets will retain the BlackBerry quality. I'm on my last BlackBerry 10 device as far as I know. The Priv or Mercury will be my next device and the one that didn't make it in 2017 should be there for me in 2018. So as far as I can see, I will still be sporting a "real" BlackBerry for some time to come.
    10-07-16 04:32 PM
    BlackBerry 10 devices were never marketed properly marketed that's why they didn't sell!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Asvertus likes this.
    10-10-16 08:18 PM
    BlackBerry 10 devices were never marketed properly marketed that's why they didn't sell!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Yup... when Z10 returns were outpacing sales, the main reason for the returns was poor marketing.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    10-11-16 04:50 PM
    Yup... when Z10 returns were outpacing sales, the main reason for the returns was poor marketing.
    I think that was actually good marketing with an ironic twist.
    Then the returns became the marketing.
    But nobody got hurt by a flaming Z10 so it could have been worse.
    10-11-16 05:07 PM
    Not trying to start anything.
    BB10's prospects for success are comical.
    You're cool with that, right?
    Meh. BB10 was a tragicomedy.

*A3-A20
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    10-11-16 05:32 PM
    I agree on the license model. We'll have to wait and see if these handsets will retain the BlackBerry quality. I'm on my last BlackBerry 10 device as far as I know. The Priv or Mercury will be my next device and the one that didn't make it in 2017 should be there for me in 2018. So as far as I can see, I will still be sporting a "real" BlackBerry for some time to come.
    Hard to argue it... as there wasn't much choice left to them. They WERE NOT making money on hardware.... you can only try so much befroe you admit defeat and throw in the towel. And stop losing millions of dollars every day.

With half the BlackBerry userbase located in Indonesian, it made sense for someone to licenses the brand there. The rest of the world....
    JeepBB and bakron1 like this.
    10-12-16 01:32 PM
    there is no such thing as "Free" phone. you pay for it. Either in advance, either via monthly fees. but there are no such thing as free cheese.
    There is. In my mouse trap... ;-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-16-16 03:40 AM
    Hard to argue it... as there wasn't much choice left to them. They WERE NOT making money on hardware.... you can only try so much befroe you admit defeat and throw in the towel. And stop losing millions of dollars every day.

With half the BlackBerry userbase located in Indonesian, it made sense for someone to licenses the brand there. The rest of the world....
    I agree 100% and Chen did say they where now in the software business and OS10 is software, so it would make perfect sense to license it to someone who wants to use it. It's still generating revenue and they don't have any hardware design liability.
    10-18-16 09:39 AM
    I agree 100% and Chen did say they where now in the software business and OS10 is software, so it would make perfect sense to license it to someone who wants to use it. It's still generating revenue and they don't have any hardware design liability.
    I agree if they can license and make money on BB10 they should do it!

Which means they never will......
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-18-16 10:03 AM
    I agree if they can license and make money on BB10 they should do it!

Which means they never will......
    Well, just as a guess, since they are not making any phones and just develop software for others, maybe they could upgrade the runtime to Android 6 and improve general support for apks.
    Or would that infringe Google's OHA rules again?
    10-19-16 06:04 AM
    Well, just as a guess, since they are not making any phones and just develop software for others, maybe they could upgrade the runtime to Android 6 and improve general support for apks.
    Why would they want to update bb10 phone os with update runtime? Is there any bb10 Dec team left?

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-19-16 06:06 AM
    BB themselves have said they have no plans for updating the ART, and no plans for further BB10 development.

Updating the ART probably would infringe the OHA, but that's almost a side issue. Bottom line is that BB isn't planning to spend a dime on BB10 beyond the commitment to release a security focused 10.3.3 & 10.3.4 update.

10.3.3 is overdue by about 7 months, and counting. I'll leave it to you to decide what BB'S "commitment" actually means in reality.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    10-19-16 06:14 AM
    BB themselves have said they have no plans for updating the ART, and no plans for further BB10 development.

Updating the ART probably would infringe the OHA, but that's almost a side issue. Bottom line is that BB isn't planning to spend a dime on BB10 beyond the commitment to release a security focused 10.3.3 & 10.3.4 update.

10.3.3 is overdue by about 7 months, and counting. I'll leave it to you to decide what BB'S "commitment" actually means in reality.
    Meanwhile why not convert all bb10 to Android

10-19-16 06:17 AM
    Leaving aside the OHA rules - it's also about political power - In the scheme of things (in regards to mobile), BBRY is a small sub-scale player in the Android landscape. If they try to cross their master King Google they will suddenly find they have nothing to license to anyone...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    10-19-16 06:26 AM
    Why would they want to update bb10 phone os with update runtime? Is there any bb10 Dec team left?

They promised PlayBook owners an update.
    There was no issue with OHA rules.
    They still had hundreds, if not thousands of developers working on BB10.
    They still had their eye on being a player as the 3rd mobile platform.
    That the all powerful and mighty QNX could not do what iOS, Android and even WINDOWS could do... run on 1GB of RAM?

Seems almost like deja vu around here now, only I don't see any purpose in updating BB10 at this point. Maybe if Android and Windows was extremely expensive to license, and maybe if there were not so many other failed mobile OS that would also love to be used... I could see some investment into a 3rd mobile platform. But as it is BBOS is still more popular.....

If BlackBerry were going to license BB10 to 3rd or 4th tier players... we wouldn't be wondering where 10.3.3 was right now. BlackBerry would be showing signs of develpment and investment into BB10, LINK, BLEND and other projects that make BB10 a "platform".
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    10-19-16 07:47 AM
    Yes, sure, I was just speculating that these plans could change if they license BB10 out.

And to me only the ART is an issue.
    Either they should remove it or they should upgrade it, the rest of the OS and its core apps are just great.
    10-19-16 07:53 AM
    Yes, sure, I was just speculating that these plans could change if they license BB10 out.

And to me only the ART is an issue.
    Either they should remove it or they should upgrade it, the rest of the OS and its core apps are just great.
    Well if you don't use Android Apps or ported Apps... is the ART really an issue?

You might want to check out this thread...http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...untime-918485/
    10-19-16 08:26 AM
    Well if you don't use Android Apps or ported Apps... is the ART really an issue?

You might want to check out this thread...http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...untime-918485/
    Indeed, for me personally the ART is not important although I would lose some apps from BlackBerry World and Firefox.

But if we speculate about licensing BB10, I would assume that they either should remove it or improve it.

If you want to have a certain app ecosystem for the "private space" of balance, then you should upgrade the ART.

However, if the business model requires only a locked down communication device, you can remove the ART.
    (Okay, I only say that because a leaner BB10 could maybe run on my PlayBook.)
    10-19-16 11:45 AM
    Indeed, for me personally the ART is not important although I would lose some apps from BlackBerry World and Firefox.

But if we speculate about licensing BB10, I would assume that they either should remove it or improve it.
    IF they were somehow to find a licensee, they would HAVE to remove the Android Runtime, as it is a violation of BB's Google Play/GMS license. That wasn't an issue previously, but with the release of the Priv, BB signed Google's license and now has to follow the rules, and that means no runtime.

So, any company considering licensing BB10 would have to do so with the understanding that - at best - their prospective customers would have to be satisfied with a subset of the apps found in BB World (because only native apps would run, and many apps in BB World are actually Android apps in BB10 wrappers) - and we all know that BB World is losing apps daily, and is full of junk and/or old apps that haven't been updated in forever.
    10-20-16 01:18 AM
    IF they were somehow to find a licensee, they would HAVE to remove the Android Runtime, as it is a violation of BB's Google Play/GMS license.
    Thank you for the clarification.
    If that would ever happen, we maybe have a leaner BB10 version that can run on my PlayBook.
    10-20-16 03:16 AM
    Thank you for the clarification.
    If that would ever happen, we maybe have a leaner BB10 version that can run on my PlayBook.
    Remove the ART and BBM... I bet it would work.

Just not sure what kind of experience it would be.... few apps, and I bet the BB10 browser would stay checkerboard for minutes at a time with that GPU.
    10-20-16 08:55 AM
    Three questions:

1. Why would any handset vendor license BB10?
    2. Why would they do so instead of licensing Android?
    3. How valuable would BB10 be?
    10-23-16 07:34 PM
    IF they were somehow to find a licensee, they would HAVE to remove the Android Runtime, as it is a violation of BB's Google Play/GMS license. That wasn't an issue previously, but with the release of the Priv, BB signed Google's license and now has to follow the rules, and that means no runtime.

So, any company considering licensing BB10 would have to do so with the understanding that - at best - their prospective customers would have to be satisfied with a subset of the apps found in BB World (because only native apps would run, and many apps in BB World are actually Android apps in BB10 wrappers) - and we all know that BB World is losing apps daily, and is full of junk and/or old apps that haven't been updated in forever.
    They could add in their own runtime implementation, which could be great.
    10-23-16 07:39 PM
    Three questions:

1. Why would any handset vendor license BB10?
    2. Why would they do so instead of licensing Android?
    3. How valuable would BB10 be?
    My guess would be countries where Google and or apple services is either not allowed or not popular. Both haven't totally taken over the world.
    10-23-16 08:34 PM
84 1234