BlackBerry is a software company. BB10 is software.

What's so unbelievable about it?

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-04-16 07:37 AM
    well, they release phone with Windows as well :/ so why not with BB10?

if they plan to enter to enterprise... :/
    Because the only people with pockets deep enough to support a mobile OS which costs more than it makes are... Microsoft and they already have windows mobile as a way to burn money.

There isn't really any other credible player with deep enough pockets. Someone is going to pop up and mention Samsung but they have a) their own solution and b) sell more android phones to enterprise in a week than BBRY does in a quarter.
    10-04-16 07:43 AM
    well, they release phone with Windows as well :/ so why not with BB10?

if they plan to enter to enterprise... :/
    Because the only people with pockets deep enough to support a mobile OS which costs more than it makes are... Microsoft and they already have windows mobile as a way to burn money.

There isn't really any other credible player with deep enough pockets. Someone is going to pop up and mention Samsung but they have a) their own solution and b) sell more android phones to enterprise in a week than BBRY does in a quarter.

BlackBerry is a software company. BB10 is software.

What's so unbelievable about it?

These are the facts that a third party has to look at:

* It's never made a dime of profit for its parent company
    * Not a single phone in four years made with this OS has been a hit
    * At least two of the phones required writedowns of assets because they were such a bomb
    * It has no functional ecosystem to speak of
    * The development team is basically disbanded
    * The development tools are outdated
    * There is no carrier support for this OS
    * It will require new drivers (Highly expensive) to support new chipsets
    * It's *perceived* by the industry and enterprise buyers as a failure

So a third party is going to pay a licensing fee and then spend many many millions developing and promoting a known failure and expects a different outcome from its maker?

Yes I find that rather unbelievable.
    10-04-16 07:49 AM

* At least two of the phones required writedowns of assets because they were such a bomb

So a third party is going to pay a licensing fee and then spend many many millions developing and promoting a known failure and expects a different outcome from its maker?

If it was easy I'm sure BlackBerry will release 10.4 ....

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    cgk, JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    10-04-16 08:40 AM
    If BlackBerry announces a deal with TCL in north america i will be very pleased. I've played with the DTEK50 and in terms of a budget phone ive been very impressed with the build quality of the device. DTEK60 will be more of the same imho.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-04-16 10:36 AM
    If BlackBerry announces a deal with TCL in north america i will be very pleased. I've played with the DTEK50 and in terms of a budget phone ive been very impressed with the build quality of the device. DTEK60 will be more of the same imho.

I would think it would be Alcatel (the business unit) rather than TCL itself does not deal with consumers. However TCL is very keen to build the Alcatel brand in North America so they might stick with that.
    10-04-16 10:45 AM
    I would think it would be Alcatel (the business unit) rather than TCL itself does not deal with consumers. However TCL is very keen to build the Alcatel brand in North America so they might stick with that.
    We shall see i guess, but their build is very impressive imho.

10-04-16 10:46 AM
    TCL is selling TV's under their own Brand in the US now... actually the fastest growing brand here. They do also sell RCA Branded TV's here, but they seem to be comfortable with their own brand now.

But I come back to... if BlackBerry couldn't make money, how will anyone else?

I'm sure with the licensing deal they could cut the $100 per phone "extra cost" way down. But someone still got to pay for Android and App development if those are to proceed. And is the BlackBerry brand really of any value in the US market? Indonesia... YES. Maybe in China where it isn't really known it would be. But I question if it even valuable in markets like India or South Africa anymore....

But then two the US carrier's haven't been too keen on the Chinese low cost OEMs over the last few years.... think if they have to support and warranty them, they want better quality and better support in place by the OEMs. And without US Carrier support in the US... a phone will need a lot of marketing and sales support from it's maker. BLU is about the only brand I've seen outside of the supported Carrier brands that is making much headway... but that is purely based on price (sub $100 phones)
    cgk and JeepBB like this.
    10-04-16 01:54 PM
    What differentiates the first/second/third tiers?
    10-04-16 01:55 PM
    TCL is selling TV's under their own Brand in the US now... actually the fastest growing brand here. They do also sell RCA Branded TV's here, but they seem to be comfortable with their own brand now.
    Ah I stand corrected - thanks for that.

But then two the US carrier's haven't been too keen on the Chinese low cost OEMs over the last few years.... think if they have to support and warranty them, they want better quality and better support in place by the OEMs. And without US Carrier support in the US... a phone will need a lot of marketing and sales support from it's maker. BLU is about the only brand I've seen outside of the supported Carrier brands that is making much headway... but that is purely based on price (sub $100 phones)
    There is a reason for that - the Chinese low cost OEMs cannot or will not cross-subsidy the promotion of phones with the carriers. Carriers know that if they spend X on promoting a device, Samsung will throw in Y (one way or another).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-04-16 01:57 PM
    Ah I stand corrected - thanks for that.

There is a reason for that - the Chinese low cost OEMs cannot or will not cross-subsidy the promotion of phones with the carriers. Carriers know that if they spend X on promoting a device, Samsung will throw in Y (one way or another).

I have about 12 people in my immediate family..... Two of them got free Galaxy S7 from Carriers, and three of them got free iPhone 7 from Carrier. Don't really know how the promotions are done and who pays for what. But there is a reason that I don't think flagship phones are dead... (just have to give them away). Really wish I didn't have a corporate phone.
    10-04-16 02:14 PM

no one looks at xiaomi and thinks: hey, this device is 150$, unlocked Android. Awesome price. Good specs - Would buy for my company.
    Because of name: Xiaomi.
    If it was BlackBerry, it would be different story (sentiments etc.).

That's why, if those Chinese companies want to go to enterprise, it is much easier by doing it with well known brand, not their own.

That's why you can buy a lot of those Blaupunkt (well known German brand), Sharp (well known brand in US), Toshiba and other well known branded TVs produced by various Chinese manufacturers sold in western markets (i.e. Hi-Sense is being sold as Sharp in US). You wouldn't know and trust (or buy for that matter) Hi-Sense, as it is "unknown/unreliable" brand. Actually, they are cheap, good quality, nice specs, but bad perception within mass users in the west (although acclaimed by advanced ones). Just like Xiaomi.

Blaupunkt, Sharp, etc just sell their brands and that's it. Sharp TVs won't be made by Sharp anymore | TechHive

Same business model would be for BlackBerry.
    Simples.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-05-16 02:35 AM
    I have about 12 people in my immediate family..... Two of them got free Galaxy S7 from Carriers, and three of them got free iPhone 7 from Carrier. Don't really know how the promotions are done and who pays for what. But there is a reason that I don't think flagship phones are dead... (just have to give them away). Really wish I didn't have a corporate phone.
    there is no such thing as "Free" phone. you pay for it. Either in advance, either via monthly fees. but there are no such thing as free cheese.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-05-16 02:38 AM

That's why, if those Chinese companies want to go to enterprise, it is much easier by doing it with well known brand, not their own.

Simples.
    Enterprises didn't want bb10 was it was actually made by bbry - why would that change if a Chinese company tried to sell them a rebadged device?

The bottom line is nobody wants the product - it's a solution looking for a problem.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 02:41 AM
    Enterprises didn't want bb10 was it was actually made by bbry - why would that change if a Chinese company tried to sell them a rebadged device?

The bottom line is nobody wants the product - it's a solution looking for a problem.
    I would, actually, look at Android BB.

however, you should not underestimate enterprises... some of them actually want bb10
    10-05-16 04:34 AM

however, you should not underestimate enterprises... some of them actually want bb10
    They really don't - we know this from BBRY's own sales figures - at least not in the volumes that are needed for phone matter. Android/iOS won that battle - their security is 'good enough' for most and where it's not... well they don't represent a large or attractive volume.
    10-05-16 07:15 AM
    They really don't - we know this from BBRY's own sales figures - at least not in the volumes that are needed for phone matter. Android/iOS won that battle - their security is 'good enough' for most and where it's not... well they don't represent a large or attractive volume.
    enterprises actually want CHEAP, MDM/EMM manageble phones in decent quality.
    10-06-16 08:21 AM
    enterprises actually want CHEAP, MDM/EMM manageble phones in decent quality.
    They do and they get them from various large android players like Samsung - the security provided is good enough. The zombie oddball OS bb10 fits in nowhere in most enterprises.

Why would someone pick a BB10 made on a here today, gone tomorrow short-term license by Doogee or Wileyfox over a device made by samsung?
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-06-16 08:28 AM
    BlackBerry knows this very well. That's why Chen wants to provide security on iOS and Android for those who feel security is not good enough. It's obvious BlackBerry 10 doesn't do this and everyone chasing unicorns should go and watch the Disney channel I think.

BlackBerry now is about software and not hardware and not only when it comes to phones. I hope the Mercury hits the market as a BlackBerry in-house device, but I'm not getting my hopes up it'll actually hit the market.

I want the company to succeed. This move out of hardware is, sadly for me, the best thing for them to do. Let's be real. And even then, we have to wait and see if BlackBerry can remain relevant. Which I hope they can.
    10-06-16 08:57 AM
    BlackBerry knows this very well. That's why Chen wants to provide security on iOS and Android for those who feel security is not good enough. It's obvious BlackBerry 10 doesn't do this and everyone chasing unicorns should go and watch the Disney channel I think.

BlackBerry now is about software and not hardware and not only when it comes to phones. I hope the Mercury hits the market as a BlackBerry in-house device, but I'm not getting my hopes up it'll actually hit the market.

I want the company to succeed. This move out of hardware is, sadly for me, the best thing for them to do. Let's be real. And even then, we have to wait and see if BlackBerry can remain relevant. Which I hope they can.
    BlackBerry handsets are still being made, just not by BlackBerry themselves.

And yes, BlackBerry is a software company. And BB10 is software. So why would they not seek to monetize it through licensing agreements if they can?

10-06-16 10:57 AM
    BlackBerry handsets are still being made, just not by BlackBerry themselves.

And yes, BlackBerry is a software company. And BB10 is software. So why would they not seek to monetize it through licensing agreements if they can?

A pimp is only as good as his skankiest ho.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-06-16 05:51 PM
    A pimp is only as good as his skankiest ho.
    But 2 unicorns can't do the Charleston wearing corduroy.

DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    10-06-16 05:53 PM
    But 2 unicorns can't do the Charleston wearing corduroy.

I think the both of you need to put that glass down right now, stop with the crazy drunk talk, and go home.

Hic!
    10-07-16 02:14 AM
    I think the both of you need to put that glass down right now, stop with the crazy drunk talk, and go home.

Hic!
    I thought he started a non sequitur battle.

10-07-16 07:26 AM
    I thought he started a non sequitur battle.
    Not trying to start anything.
    BB10's prospects for success are comical.
    You're cool with that, right?
    10-07-16 07:42 AM
84 1234