I have a brand new BlackBerry Bold 9780.

I picked it up this morning and spent all day setting it up, but it crashed again. It is in a constant reboot cycle because of an app I installed for the first time. I like to create whole lines of apps and I was looking to replace some that I don't use. Therefore I deserve this crappy treatment from RIM.

I spent all day getting everything restored even though I have it backed up. I know how easily most of you advise to just "wipe it all" but how is that possible? Do you get more hours in a day; days in a week? Safe mode doesn't work. I just need to get into my phone one time to delete the app and continue.

This is the third straight day I've been dealing with phone problems. I can't do this anymore: I'm a graduate student and have piles of papers to write. Please help me!
    06-14-12 01:49 AM
    Step 1 : try to connect to Desktop Manager. You should be able to access to your installed apps within.
    Uninstall prior installation (if any) and install the latest official release found here : BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com

Let us know.
    06-14-12 02:42 AM
    When I plugged it in BDS 7 must have sensed that it crashed because it immediately asked me if I wanted to reload the OS. That's quite an improvement from the way it used to be. I have now restored my two back-ups (one on the computer and one on BlackBerry Protect) rather quickly and I'm again loading all my past apps. Thank you, RIM, for at least making this process much easier than it used to be.

I've heard there is a way to back-up third party apps as well. This would save me many hours. Can someone provide me with a tutorial for Bold 9780 and BDS 7?
    06-14-12 03:03 AM
    This same thing happened to my Bold 9650. It would keep crashing and rebooting for no apparent reason, but it would always reboot when I was downloading an app or doing something on the phone. I turned off data compression and no longer have any crashes!.. Go to options, storage and uncheck the data compression box. Makes a huge difference in your device's performance!

In order to back up your third party applications, go to BlackBerry Desktop Manager and plug in your device. And then go to device in the top left, switch devices and it will ask you to back up data and third party applications. Just select third party applications. And press continue. After it has completed backing up, keep Desktop Manager open and go to your computer's temporary files and find your device's pin number. Copy and paste that file to another file on your computer. Maybe where you keep the rest of your BlackBerry files. And then once you have them saved you can always restore them onto your device.
    Malickfan86 likes this.
    06-14-12 03:30 AM
    When I plugged it in BDS 7 must have sensed that it crashed because it immediately asked me if I wanted to reload the OS. That's quite an improvement from the way it used to be. I have now restored my two back-ups (one on the computer and one on BlackBerry Protect) rather quickly and I'm again loading all my past apps. Thank you, RIM, for at least making this process much easier than it used to be.

I've heard there is a way to back-up third party apps as well. This would save me many hours. Can someone provide me with a tutorial for Bold 9780 and BDS 7?
    You're welcome.
    About third party apps, if you have bought them into APPWorld, you mostly don't have to backup, since you'll be able to re-install from the "my world" section of AppWorld (with the same BBID). "mostly", because if some apps changed price, you may have to buy it again (not general case, but may append).
    Malickfan86 likes this.
    06-14-12 03:35 AM
    I only download free apps and I currently download them from App World but it is still very time consuming to install one at a time, restarting in between a few, and starting others to make sure they work. I would rather back them up to one place and restore them with one button. Thanks for the help!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-14-12 04:55 AM
    If an app is the cause for your crash, then restoring it from a backup would just cause the crash to repeat.

If you suspect that an app is causing problems, then it's a good idea to re-install them from appworld. Only do one or two a day. That way you can find out which app is not working well on your device.

I know it's time consuming and kind of a pain but it's the best way to find out for sure which app needs to be avoided in the future.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    06-14-12 06:27 AM
    Another way to back up/restore 3rd party apps is with a utility called BBSAK. Although I think all of my currently installed apps are from App World, I still do an app backup with BBSAK before loading up a new OS. But, as dairyberry says, you need to be careful to not reinstall the troublesome app or you'll be right back into same boat.
    Malickfan86 likes this.
    06-14-12 07:29 AM
    The apps I installed this time around are just the long-tested ones that I've had for months. I didn't get experimental and it looks like I avoided a third crash. I started a back-up of personal data and third-party apps through BDS. Five hours later, the progress bar is filled in completely and it says "Connecting to device," while the phone is on the black data transfer screen with a continuous rotating hourglass. This is how I remember leaving it. Has something gone wrong? Should I disconnect it or continue to wait?
    06-14-12 12:17 PM
    I disconnected the phone as it seemed to be stuck. I pulled the battery and it went into a reboot cycle. I fortunately managed to get into safe mode this time. My service provider tech support called at just the right time, while the phone was up, and said the switch device back-up may start working in two hours. If it doesn't, I should take it in again.

I heard that you can find the error by looking at bolded items in the log. Here they are, in reverse chronological order, below. Please tell me what they mean and what I can do.

Code:
    06-14-2012 14:13:19 Facebook [PN] psp parse: unhandled notification
    06-14-2012 13:50:57 net.rim.mdp TEma x3
    06-14-2012 13:38:20 BBCM Unable to create media cache- net.rim.device.api.io.file.FileIOException: File not found
    06-14-2012 13:38:20 net.rim.wlan.link CNEr -25
    06-14-2012 13:38:08 Facebook BBRequest Error: net.rim.device.extra.app.facebook.bbcommons.transport.NoCoverage Exception: Insufficient Data Coverage!
    06-14-2012 13:38:02 BBProtect BBRequest Error: java.io.IOException: Insufficient Data Coverage! x2
    06-14-2012 13:38:02 IOException Insufficient Data Coverage! - Severe - long entry x2
    06-14-2012 13:36:23 Application Control IvHS x4
    06-14-2012 13:36:23 Application Control IvHG x4
    06-14-2012 13:34:00 System System Startup
    06-14-2012 13:28:47 System System Startup
    06-14-2012 07:43:12 Application Control IvHS x183
    06-14-12 01:34 PM
    Got it back! I deleted Facebook Messenger and Google Plus, two apps that I would have thought would be pretty reliable. Oh well. I will do an app back-up now and hopefully live happily ever after.
    06-14-12 02:43 PM
    Got it back! I deleted Facebook Messenger and Google Plus, two apps that I would have thought would be pretty reliable. Oh well. I will do an app back-up now and hopefully live happily ever after.
    I wonder if it wouldn't have been faster to debrick it clean and then install fresh...
    I guess if you go into trouble again... Could be the best way to go.
    06-14-12 05:00 PM
    I just did a fresh install when I tried another new program (Whatsapp, to fill in the last icon of a row in the instant messaging folder). Luckily I had several recent back-ups, including of other apps, to load everything back relatively quickly. However, I just installed Facebook Messenger again since I have had it before for months without issue and since it could have been Google Plus causing the issue alone. That was not the case and I am currently trying to boot in safe mode so I can delete it. If I were to reload everything again, I would have to deal with application permissions again.
    06-14-12 05:53 PM
    I now have a blank spot in my IM folder, with five icons instead of six, but I guess this is better than risking a random one and another potential crash.
    06-14-12 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD