Say I buy a Bold in Hong Kong (I am going there for a trip in a month, and will stay there for about another month or two). If I bring it back to Canada, will I be able to use the phone with the 3G network here?

To my knowledge, Hong Kong uses a totally different network than what we have in North America, and thus, it may not work. But would it be any different with the Bold?
    08-06-08 05:09 AM
    You would probably have to unlock the phone and would need a Rogers SIM card I think.
    08-06-08 05:11 AM
    But would the Bold from Asia recognize the 3G band in North America?
    08-06-08 05:18 AM
    From my knowledge no!

You can attempt though. If the phone has 850mhz UMTS, then you're good.

Rogers Wireless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

08-06-08 07:53 AM
    You would be better off either getting a QWERTZ Bold from here : BlackBerry 9000 Bold - QWERTZ Keypad [9000-BOLD-QWERTZ] - $825.00 : BBEnriched, Enriching your Blackberry

Or waiting for the US release!!

Patience is a virtue
    08-06-08 07:55 AM
    Thanks guys
    08-06-08 12:59 PM
    Well from this link

PCCW - Handsets and More › BlackBerry Smartphones

It has

Networks supported: GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), EDGE, HSDPA (3.6 Mbps), Wi-Fi a/b/g

for the Bold. And also the phones I buy from HK have always been unlocked and unbranded... but I've never bought a blackberry.

Oh I just want to add my HK Iphone 3G works perfectly here on EDGE/3G
    Last edited by Mauk; 08-06-08 at 03:29 PM.
    08-06-08 01:45 PM
    They don't use bb's in asia. (Not usually) its gonna be lonely for you when you step off the plane. Any bold you find will probably be a knock off. I know the us government has a problem when they go to china bc there are no bb's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-08 03:53 PM
    Yes, BB's weren't widely used but that they have picked up steam recently and the Bold is in all the Hong Kong electronic magazines currently. PCCW has a full line of BB plans, even gives you streaming content to their HD channels. ~$250 dollars on a 2 yr contact and I think it was about ~$680 without (I had a friend check it out for me since he lives in HK) is not bad , PCCW would not sell knock offs. "Peoples" the other large HK telco does not offer Blackberry services.

I have seen Blackberry Curves working while I was in China last year as well.. pinning etc
    Last edited by Mauk; 08-07-08 at 05:03 AM.
    08-07-08 04:48 AM
    I'm in HK and I'm still waiting for the Bold to come out and they have not announce the release yet. Btw, BB users in HK are now more than ever. Give me a shout when you are in town.

08-07-08 04:55 AM
    Well I stand corrected. But I spend my time in SE asia. Maybe me and my girl will vacation in HK within the next 2 years. I'm a little suprised that I haven't seen them in s. korea, but I really haven't been very far outside the airport.

08-07-08 09:09 AM
    Thanks guys!
    Damn I'm excited!
    08-07-08 09:26 PM
    Just PM me if any of you CB fellows are in town, be happy to give you a quick tour. But better come soon before I move to the UK with my girlfriend.

08-07-08 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD