I'm an IT guy and I rely on notifications, so I need a mobile phone for my job. I don't get what you are saying. My 9850 works fine for business and personal use. Granted, I don't talk on the phone a huge amount, so I'm not abusing my phone privileges (my BB is provided for me by my work). I'm also, sadly, the last BB user at my company.

What advantages could I get by carrying a second (personal) phone?
    Didn't you read the article? You could look cool.
    07-26-12 01:17 PM
    I'm an IT guy and I rely on notifications, so I need a mobile phone for my job. I don't get what you are saying. My 9850 works fine for business and personal use. Granted, I don't talk on the phone a huge amount, so I'm not abusing my phone privileges (my BB is provided for me by my work). I'm also, sadly, the last BB user at my company.

What advantages could I get by carrying a second (personal) phone?
    You don't need a mobile phone it makes your job easier yes. you could easily manage with a pager if all you need are the notifications. and in IT I assume for the most part you stay in the building when working.

IF your job encompassed email, and phone conversations, with both internal and external work related entities the separation of phones has major advantages.
    I just changed careers in the last 2 months, well jobs really same career.
    I had given my personal number to maybe 100 people in that old Job over the course of 5 years, I still am getting calls from those people now 2 months later looking for help in my old capacity, and that is a small fraction of the people who use my old Work Phone number.

had I only had 1 number I would have had to make a choice, allow the company to retain control of my number which I've had since 2000, and convert all of my friends and family to a new number, or field 10-15 phone calls a day from my old job while attempting to field the new jobs 5-10 phone calls a day.

in a Job position where the mobile PHONE is paramount having 2 devices makes a crazy amount of sense, if you could make due with a pager, or a iPod connected to wifi, then it is easy to not see why the separation of devices is important
    07-26-12 01:26 PM
    Finally a positive rim article, well kind of
    07-26-12 02:53 PM
    You don't need a mobile phone it makes your job easier yes. you could easily manage with a pager if all you need are the notifications. and in IT I assume for the most part you stay in the building when working.

IF your job encompassed email, and phone conversations, with both internal and external work related entities the separation of phones has major advantages.
    I had given my personal number to maybe 100 people in that old Job over the course of 5 years, I still am getting calls from those people now 2 months later looking for help in my old capacity, and that is a small fraction of the people who use my old Work Phone number.

had I only had 1 number I would have had to make a choice, allow the company to retain control of my number which I've had since 2000, and convert all of my friends and family to a new number, or field 10-15 phone calls a day from my old job while attempting to field the new jobs 5-10 phone calls a day.

in a Job position where the mobile PHONE is paramount having 2 devices makes a crazy amount of sense, if you could make due with a pager, or a iPod connected to wifi, then it is easy to not see why the separation of devices is important
    Well, I need more than just a pager, because I do have to respond to emails, make the occasional phone call, etc. I also use it for connecting where there is no wifi available. Everything I do for work can be done from home, or anywhere, as long as I can get online and connect via vpn. I work on our customer-facing systems for our web-based products. So none of the things I touch are even in our office.

I actually had my number ported from my last job to my current job, and I'm sure I could port it again if I wanted. I think the main point for having two phones is for someone that makes a lot of phone calls, both personal and professional, and you need that separation. I could get away with a different phone number though, because it's not my main point of contact. That's why I switched to a non-ISP email address (gmail) a long time ago, and of course I'm accessible through various social networks too.

My wife only has a personal iPhone and she is getting work email on it, but it is more of a nice thing to have than a necessity for her.

So yeah, I don't have a personal phone because it became redundant for me. I think that's the case for many people doing the BYOD stuff too.
    07-26-12 03:11 PM
    i'm in project management and have been using 2 phones (at one point two 9700s btw) for a few years now and i actually don't mind carrying 2 on a regular basis. i like having the ability to easily disconnect myself from work (by throwing the work issued phone in the drawer on friday after work, or leaving it behind all together when on vacation). this is the nature of the career i have chosen and i have no problem with having a personal device in addition to one for work communications.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-26-12 03:47 PM
    I carry 2 phones not because I want to - I would get rid of one if I could. Initially the BB was the daily driver and the GNote was the Skype phone. Now the GNote is the daily driver and the BB is for BBM only. It is pure rubbish that email/calendar/messaging is better on either - Active Sync based Android PIM and BIS are equals in all respects IMHO. Keyboard is subjective, I used to swear as many here do I would never prefer a phone without a keyboard but I got used to it. I am faster on my BB but its not the problem I thought it would be and there are too many things the GNote brings to the table the BB simply cannot do right now.

By this time next year I have sworn that I will be back to one phone again. We will see how that works out over time I suppose.
    07-26-12 06:29 PM
    I thought Frank Boulben, RIM CMO, made an interesting point I hadn't thought of. How many companies are limiting the BB, which to the user looks like a limitation of the device (not to say they do everything as well as an iphone)? It occurred to me that I know folks whom aren't allowed to install apps on their BB and use other functions, etc. That could be another big contributor to the general view of BBs.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-27-12 10:02 AM
    I thought Frank Boulben, RIM CMO, made an interesting point I hadn't thought of. How many companies are limiting the BB, which to the user looks like a limitation of the device (not to say they do everything as well as an iphone)? It occurred to me that I know folks whom aren't allowed to install apps on their BB and use other functions, etc. That could be another big contributor to the general view of BBs.
    When I joined my current company, the BlackBerry experience was horrible. Not only was the BES on the other side of the world, it was configured to Australian government standards for some reason. Since I'm an IT guy (in a different area), I had the admins make a less restrictive policy for me so I could actually use Google Maps. From there, I slowly wedged myself in and moved other users over to it, but the tide was already turning and devices that were unmanaged and unsecured were replacing BBs. So users were tainted by a subpar BB experience when the restrictions were not justified for our business. It is especially apparent when US users are all on Android devices and there is no management or security mechanisms in place at all.

I created a BES Express server in the US office to replace the ancient BES in the main office. It made a huge difference in features and functionality, but it was too late. Now I'm the only BB user left. I built out a Mobile Fusion setup as a trial (which is now expired), so hopefully I can convince everyone to use that so we have some management and security for our devices.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-27-12 11:29 AM
    I am curious to see what the result will be in India. I don't think iPhone can beat BB10 here.
    Well why bring it up if you know bb is already tearing Apple a** up in India. Just a question...
    07-27-12 12:06 PM
    Well why bring it up if you know bb is already tearing Apple a** up in India. Just a question...
    Why do people keep speculating about numbers? A simple google will get the numbers for virtually any country or region. I think all numbers should be accompanied by a link so anybody can verify the source.

For this India question, I found this:

Samsung eyeing 60% share in Indian smartphone market - Economic Times

Sumsung smartphone market share at end of Q1 2012 = 45%, Samsung targeting 60% by end of year.

If anyone has alternative numbers for India, please post.
    07-27-12 12:23 PM
    It has to be some kind of coolness thing, I use my BB for social networking regularly and it seems to work fine, I don't tweet or use twitter though but facebook is okay, maybe I haven't seen how good it can be on other platforms?
    07-27-12 04:42 PM
    " 'It would be much more convenient for you to manage all aspects of your personal life and professional life on the same device,' Mr. Boulben says, adding that RIM is planning a number of innovations to help users do that. An Apple spokeswoman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment."

First, these two sentences alone shows how RIM now interacts with the media and the public, and how Apple responds (...or lack there of).

Also, Boulben seems to hint about a new capability of BB10. Seems like BB10 may allow for separation of functionalities between personal and business on one phone. I'm interested to see what they have in-store for this possible solution to a significant problem.

Edit: Oh and I fail to see why so many call the iPhone "pretty". They all look the same...white rectangle slabs. To my eyes at least, the design is too simplistic, stiff, and all Apple products look the same. But that is my own personal opinion and taste.
    Last edited by DuexNoir; 07-27-12 at 11:24 PM.
    07-27-12 11:15 PM

That scenario IMHO still doesn't necessarily warrant the need for two devices. Two PTN's would certainly suffice via Google voice or other means.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    07-27-12 11:31 PM
    I think if companies issued workers Bold 9900's or Torch 9810's on BB OS 7.1 AND enabled all the built in apps on these phones workers would be quite happy with their BB phones.

The work issued BB's I've seen have been so locked down I would be pissed off as well, and not be left with a good taste in my mouth about BB. So in a way RIM's corporate success has hindered their consumer success by having people's experience with BB being on an old, locked down device.
    07-28-12 04:44 PM
    One thing I don't understand is how Iphone is sexy? Really it's been the same old boring design since 2007. The look is outdated and stale. One of the main advantage of BlackBerry IMO is the wide selection of phone to choose. There's many phone to choose whitout being stuck with the same design.

Everybody has a Iphone and all Iphone looked the same for 5 years now. It was sexy at one point but it's just boring to watch one now...it doesn't have that WOW factor anymore.
    07-29-12 01:05 PM
    That's a very good point regarding design. From iPhone 3GS to 4 was just from curvy plastic to straight glass. Whereas from Bold 9780 to Bold 9900 - the difference is much greater!

I think Frank Boulben has really got the right direction with having a way of a personal touch on a work phone. I look forward to seeing that!

Speaking of design, I am really curious to the BB10 Bold!!!
    07-29-12 01:33 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD