I hate to say it, but I think I may be starting to see what irks Apple about Samsung.

Take a look at the screenshot linked below - is that not a direct ripoff of Blackberry's "Balance" feature and wording? And they are clearly paying to have it show up right on top of a negative news item for Blackberry.

I'm thinking it might even be grounds for legal action re: trademarks, at the very least.

http://i.imgur.com/z2Glfu5.png
    03-05-13 04:18 PM
    it took me a while to see what you meant.
    Lets not get all Apple and start claiming words as trademarks.

They are perfectly entitled to use the word balance. if its half as good as Blackberry's version then i will be surprised
    03-05-13 04:32 PM
    Smart marketing tactics on samsungs part. Not that I like it being a BlackBerry fan but to have their ads at the top of the page for BlackBerry articles is pretty smart.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    03-05-13 05:21 PM
    Well, marketing is quite a murky area at best. Folks in that world spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to sell something and word it just right enough as to avoid legal actions and having the authorities breathing down their necks. They throw in wording the average person understands one way but when challenged on it, they provide some obscure definition or redefine words as "marketing terms".

As to the Samsung ad, it shows they are good imitators and position their product for what they think achieves maximum effect. I myself would not want to highlight my product on the same page as another one is being put down lest consumers associate my product with failure. Using BB's marketing terms along with the negative article could get them associated with the failing company.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 03-05-13 at 09:01 PM.
    03-05-13 08:05 PM
    looks like SamSung realizes the power of Balance! copying is what they say, the highest form of flatery!
    Sorry, but its true! Samsungs entire company heritage is copying! first they copied the Japanese in the 80ies, then the copied Nokia into feature phones, then BlackBerry then IP into the smartphones! Name one completely original concept Samsung has come up with. There isn't one. When it comes to Americans and are protectionist policies. American Jobs and the rest! I find it hard to believe we gave Samsung a pass. I guess its the android factor! lets see how Tizen does in the US market!
    The copying carries on into heavy equipment and other manufatuing industries, that are not of my concern but true none the less!
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-05-13 at 08:25 PM.
    03-05-13 08:11 PM
    Looking like samsung learned from apple. Let others innovate then make your spin on it.
    03-05-13 08:11 PM
    That's why I never liked Samsung. My cousin went to a samsung recruitment event before and he told me the presenter was boosting about how, after the iphone was out, the CEO of Samsung demanded that they come out with something like that and they created galaxy in 1 month or so.

Left a sour taste in my mouth and although my cousin was impressed, it had the opposite effect on me. Thus I continued waiting for BlackBerry even though I seriously considered android...

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 08:15 PM
    Just to clarify... its hearsay and I'm not sure who what top exec who gave such an order. My cousin just said, the "Boss" ordered that they come up with something like that.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 08:17 PM
    I'm sick of hearing consumers talk about copying. When companies "copy", consumers benefit. You get the benefits of innovation and you pay less.

At the end of the day. Licensing costs and whatnot are absorbed by the consumer. I'd hate for cellphone prices to go back to what it was in the 90s.
    03-06-13 01:48 AM
    I'm sick of hearing consumers talk about copying. When companies "copy", consumers benefit. You get the benefits of innovation and you pay less.

At the end of the day. Licensing costs and whatnot are absorbed by the consumer. I'd hate for cellphone prices to go back to what it was in the 90s.
    Phones are more expensive these days though

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 02:00 AM
    Just to be clear - this post is not about Samsung copying the product, it is about them using Blackberry trademarks to market their own products.

For example, if someone slightly modified the Nike logo or just flipped it upside-down or left/right with an ad campaign that stated "Just do it", I guarantee you they would be hearing from Nike's lawyers.

The only thing that keeps you from paying $800 for a Z10 is that deal with the devil you signed with your cellular carrier, which subsidizes the up-front price. Most US carriers also recently raised their ETF from about $175 to about $350, which accounts for the extra subsidies they are paying to smartphone manufacturers these days.

This is why the Z10 costs ~$800 in India. It's not legal for carriers to subdize phones in that country, just like it was here in California when I first started selling cellphones at retail in the late 1980s.

And cellular service is something like $15/mo there.
    03-06-13 02:43 AM
    I am glad Blackberry has not gone the sleazy route of subliminally slandering other manufacturers in their ads like Samsung does. It is exactly like the Japanese car manufacturers "more power than a Mercedes", "faster then a Porsche", etc. It is not the way to go long term and just shows you are still thinking about the other companies. Amazing how many "A BMW M3 killer, finally" magazine covers there have been year after year after year. Same thing with slandering electronics companies!
    Dapper37 likes this.
    03-06-13 04:11 AM