It will increase sales with their main competitor - the iPhone - nobody is going to make the link to a minor faded android OEM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-20-16 11:59 AM
    While being disastrous for other OEMs, this is just a hiccup for Samsung.
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-20-16 12:36 PM
    How many millions of cars are recalled or have made the news, but they are all fine,
    It is much more complicated to replace a 35000 car than a 500 dollar phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 12:37 PM
    Is this the sort of can't do thinking that dominated the glory days of Apple? Is it the sort of can't do thinking that dominates the dark days of Blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 12:39 PM
    Is this the sort of can't do thinking that dominated the glory days of Apple? Is it the sort of can't do thinking that dominates the dark days of Blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    Well you explain it to us then - dtek50 isn't even available on most carriers. What person who purchased a flagship device with a top of the line processor and screen is going to replace it with a low-middle range screen, inferior processor and all around inferior specs?
    TgeekB, MikeX74, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    09-20-16 12:42 PM
    This thread is oddly like the threads that popped up after the iCloud hacks saying they would drive customers to Blackberry.
    21stNow and MikeX74 like this.
    09-20-16 12:52 PM
    Samsung will be just fine. A year from now not a soul will remember this, and the Galaxy 8 will be flying off the shelves by the millions.

No one was injured or killed... now that would have really been a problem.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-20-16 01:22 PM
    Well you explain it to us then - dtek50 isn't even available on most carriers. What person who purchased a flagship device with a top of the line processor and screen is going to replace it with a low-middle range screen, inferior processor and all around inferior specs?
    That's not the calculus here. It is a relatively inexpensive targeted advertising campaign of short duration to try and capture a percentage of consumers who find that their flagship phone is a bomb and are looking to replace it...or to influence those who were getting ready to upgrade and would consider another device after Samsung's misstep.

Some of these people will pick an LG, Sony, apple, or other device. It makes sense for BlackBerry to be in that mix.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 01:25 PM
    marketing is expensive because half backed one isn't helping at all.

Name me a BB phone that can compete with the note 7? I can't think of one and then BB would end up spending money for maybe a few more sells that's not a smart business deal
    shaleem likes this.
    09-20-16 01:35 PM
    That's not the calculus here. It is a relatively inexpensive targeted advertising campaign of short duration to try and capture a percentage of consumers who find that their flagship phone is a bomb and are looking to replace it...or to influence those who were getting ready to upgrade and would consider another device after Samsung's misstep.

Some of these people will pick an LG, Sony, apple, or other device. It makes sense for BlackBerry to be in that mix.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't answer the question, let's try again - why would they pick a mid-range rebadged Acatel Idol over another flagship?
    Ronindan and shaleem like this.
    09-20-16 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry has no product out that would replace such a device....even when their high end android device drops, I think people still fail to realize that this brand is just dead as far as devices go with the public

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 01:54 PM
    Time will tell, I think they have enough goodwill in the market to overcome this. Another recall would be devastating.
    09-20-16 02:02 PM
    Samsung will be just fine. A year from now not a soul will remember this, and the Galaxy 8 will be flying off the shelves by the millions.

No one was injured or killed... now that would have really been a problem.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    Nope already happened, he was hurt and already filed suit:

Florida man files lawsuit against Samsung after smartphone allegedly explodes in pants
    09-20-16 02:06 PM
    Samsung should just take the charge against earnings this quarter and offer a free year of cell phone insurance to include glass breakage for the replacement phones. The cost-benefit ratio of that move would be enormous is getting back into the good graces of Samsung users immediately.
    09-20-16 02:08 PM
    I don't mean to laugh but "Samsung is toast"? Really? I thought they handled this extremely well and, if anything, it will gain them sales because they proved to people they stand behind their products.
    JeepBB and shaleem like this.
    09-20-16 02:13 PM
    I don't mean to laugh but "Samsung is toast"? Really? I thought they handled this extremely well and, if anything, it will gain them sales because they proved to people they stand behind their products.
    Yup, beats the hell out of "you're holding it wrong!"
    09-20-16 02:17 PM
    Nope already happened, he was hurt and already filed suit:

Florida man files lawsuit against Samsung after smartphone allegedly explodes in pants
    Ah ok, first I heard of it. Tell you what... this guy doesn't know it but he won the lottery! McDonalds hot coffee in lap has nothing on this.
    zephyr613 and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    09-20-16 02:18 PM
    Samsung is currently getting destroyed.
    Yeah, right. People are already waiting for new Note7's to arrive at carriers to replace the recalled ones. Did it suck for them? You bet. Will they be dealing with it for a while? Totally. But it will be water under the bridge soon enough. And as others have mentioned already, there's no device in BlackBerry's line up that serves as a Note7 replacement.
    TgeekB, JeepBB, shaleem and 1 others like this.
    09-20-16 02:20 PM
    Ah ok, first I heard of it. Tell you what... this guy doesn't know it but he won the lottery! McDonalds hot coffee in lap has nothing on this.
    I am the first to claim him to be my long lost brother!!! Filing papers this afternoon
    09-20-16 02:33 PM

You need to realize a few things:

• Most people will be taking advantage of the recall and will have their Note 7s replaced by new Note 7s.
    • Those that choose a different device will be getting a similar flagship-level device offered by their carrier. In most cases, these will be iPhone 6Splus, LG V20, Galaxy 7 Edge, etc.
    • BB has nothing in this category.
    • BB phones are largely not even offered by carriers.

So, really, there's no effective way for BB to "take advantage" of this situation, and every cent spent to try to do so would be wasted, because without carrier support, there's no way for any significant number of people to end up with a BB phone.
    JeepBB, krazyatom, shaleem and 1 others like this.
    09-20-16 02:53 PM
    It's funny how so many people wait around for other OEM's to have issues and claim that BB can take advantage somehow. The iCloud breach was supposed to drive folks to run out and buy BlackBerry's, right? Didn't happen. Now, people are gonna NOT get replacement Note's and/or NOT seek a comparable device but go for a BlackBerry? And BlackBerry is suddenly gonna advertise? Okay.
    09-20-16 03:20 PM
    Samsung's brand in the phone business is way too strong. Yes, this "explosionGate" is pretty bad, but they will walk away with it like apple did with the "bendGate" in my opinion. In a couple of weeks nobody is talking about it anymore, like the iphones "stoped bending".
    09-20-16 03:30 PM
    True. Every publicity is advertising.

Posted using the Little Beast Q10
    Well that the BlackBerry server was down for days a few years ago wasn't exactly advertising.....

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 03:39 PM
    He has to win the case before he can spend Samsung's money.

A while ago, a lithium battery exploded inside a metal avionics box we had on the rig ... it punched a hole in the case and wrecked the internals. If a similar battery had been in that guy's pocket... IMO he'd be an amputee about now... and would probably deserve some of Samsung's cash.
    09-20-16 03:40 PM
    I tend to agree with the majority that this is an issue that will be resolved and when the problem is fixed. Folks will forget all about it and the device will sell like hot cakes.

If anything, Apple might see an increase in iPhone 7 plus sales from the folks who don't want to wait for the battery issue to be resolved.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-20-16 03:46 PM
320 1234 ...