Samsung is currently getting destroyed.

Currently, every passenger who gets on a commercial flight in the United States is hearing some variation of the following announcement:

"Ladies and gentlemen, due to the recent recall of Samsung phones due to battery fires, if you have a Samsung phone we require you to keep it powered off and not charge it while on board the aircraft."

Every passenger.

Every flight.

Every day.

A brand cannot tolerate that level of negative advertising at an individual level and survive.

Samsung is toast.

Now knowing this, if Blackberry was a nimble company they would place ads for their phones strategically positioned in the dozen or so major airline hubs in the US...and full page ads in the three major inflight magazines in the US.

Will they?

Can someone get this post on Chen's desk?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 07:53 AM
    TOAST. Pun intended?
    Your idea made me laugh! Thanks! It should happen! ☺
    Sigewif likes this.
    09-20-16 08:16 AM
    This can't be as bad as the bashing that BlackBerry has taken over the last decade.

Posted via CB10 Powered by  QNX
    09-20-16 08:18 AM
    On the flip side.. free advertising.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 and enb123 like this.
    09-20-16 08:26 AM
    Agree. It is targeted bashing, but pales in comparison. But then, I'm not a "flyer".

BlackBerry would do well to have better advertising, whatever its form.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    09-20-16 08:26 AM
    On the flip side.. free advertising.

Posted via CB10
    True. Every publicity is advertising.

Posted using the Little Beast Q10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-20-16 08:34 AM
    It's going to cost Samsung a bit, but they're big enough to walk it off. Blackberry on the other hand...do they even have a marketing department?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 08:44 AM
    I don't know but there has to be someone in the company with enough drive and responsibility to make this happen in a week.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 08:48 AM
    you obviously have no idea how big and rich Samsung is.

Also for the 100th time BB doesn't have the dollars to do a big marketing campaign and more importantly they don't have the phones to warrant it. The Priv lacked in specs and built quality for the price, the Dtek is a mid range at best phone and their focus has been to become a software company.

Not exactly rocket science
    TgeekB, TGR1, skinnymike1 and 4 others like this.
    09-20-16 08:49 AM
    This isn't a big marketing campaign. This is a small - relatively inexpensive - marketing campaign that leverages current events.

Posted via CB10
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-20-16 08:50 AM
    I don't see this as a big issue for Samsung. One small glitch that will be resolved and no one will remember it. Folks are still going to love those phones and stick with it once the problem is fixed. I'm sure Apple has bricked a number of phones when new IOS versions come out. Has that really impacted their sales figures?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-20-16 08:57 AM
    I think that the Note 7 will outsell any other phablet as soon as people forget the "incident". Remember, if you're big, nothing can really harm you, unless it's not your fault.
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-20-16 09:16 AM
    Apple users must abandon their ecosystem, app, and itunes music investment to switch.

Android users could easily abandon Samsung and order a Dtek 50 or Priv - or any number of other droids - to replace their exploding Samsung and not even have to worry about transferring contacts or calendars.

Betrayal of a customer by a manufacturer through poor design is a serious matter. Samsung the conglomerate will survive makibg a variety of gadgets.

Their phone business is waiting to be feasted on.
    Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 09:29 AM
    I think some here are underestimating the significance of the recall after the money spent to launch the Note 7. Every other commercial in the US during the Olympics was the Note 7 ad. Much will depend on how Samsung handles this. Irrespective it is going to cost them a lot of money and more importantly good will.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    09-20-16 09:29 AM
    Samsung reportedly shipped 15 million S6s and S6 edges at launch. If Blackberry could sway 1 of 10 Samsung users with this campaign would it matter to the hardware division?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 10:04 AM
    Yes, this may just be a "bump in the road" for the mammoth Samsung, however, it could possibly be a fork in the road for Blackberry. It all comes down to perception, and what Blackberry will do with this information. I do remember (as I am sure you all do as well) the Sony Hack and the employees "digging out their Blackberries" - that also was a perfect opportunity for BB, but not executed. They may have had their reasons as in DOJ investigations etc, but this is different.
    09-20-16 10:09 AM
    Apple users must abandon their ecosystem, app, and itunes music investment to switch.

Android users could easily abandon Samsung and order a Dtek 50 or Priv - or any number of other droids - to replace their exploding Samsung and not even have to worry about transferring contacts or calendars.
    Samsung has their own services and accessories that aren't offered on other devices. If you're invested in Samsung's ecosystem the incentive to stay is just as great as your Apple example.
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-20-16 10:18 AM
    Blackberry storm anyone?

Passport!
    09-20-16 10:28 AM
    I doubt that Samsung is "toast." Sure, the Note 7 issue hurts them, but they handled the situation extremely well. Considering the number of phones recalled and the fact that they have already resupplied the carriers with new phones, I think that they'll weather this storm. I received my Note 7 on release day, August 19. I returned it when Samsung recalled them, got a loaner, returned the loaner yesterday to AT&T, and got me brand new Note 7 with no hassle at all. This is kind of like all the "BlackBerry is dead or dying" nonsense for the last 10 years. These companies are not as unstable as some seem to believe. I was a BlackBerry user for many years and still think the 9700 was the best phone they ever made, but it was time for me to move on. I understand that many people really love the physical keyboard ....I was one of them, but, as I said, it was time for me to move on. Personally, I think BlackBerry will be around for many, many years. They make a great product and their users are very loyal and committed, for the most part.
    09-20-16 10:56 AM
    the current BB lineup is no way a replacement device to users that want a note7. Sorry Samsung will be fine and sell 100x as many phones as BB androids this year. The note7 is still one of the best phones of the year.
    09-20-16 11:00 AM
    As much negativity as blackberry gets from the masses, I wonder if this was a blackberry phone getting battery busted,people would have ordered execution of blackberry's board of directors. But on the other hand samsung is too big to be affected by this. And it's free marketing for 'em,whatever gets in headlines surely get people's attention.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 11:11 AM
    the current BB lineup is no way a replacement device to users that want a note7. Sorry Samsung will be fine and sell 100x as many phones as BB androids this year. The note7 is still one of the best phones of the year.
    That's true. This thread got old and boring real fast.
    I thought the OP was just trying to give us a few laughs.
    * �\_(ツ)_/�

I like my coffee  BlackBerry� black! What?
    09-20-16 11:11 AM
    Well, maybe Apple will go after them.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 11:26 AM
    How many millions of cars are recalled or have made the news, but they are all fine, and Samsung will be fine as well. The news moves so quick these days, that this will be forgotten about next week. I have to admit Samsung handle this very well, and because of that, they will be fine.

If BlackBerry had to do a world wide recall of their devices, they can call all 10 fanboys directly.
    09-20-16 11:32 AM
    I highly doubt that BB can take advantage of this! They have no device in the market of high end large screen phone to compete with Samsung!

It will just be a waste of money
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-20-16 11:47 AM
320 123 ...