There is a third reissued note7 that caught fire this week. The note 7 is done. Done!

My theory - maybe the batteries are okay now, but all the water-resistant modifications of the phone are contributing to overheating.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-09-16 01:02 AM
    It is looking like AT&T and other carriers may be dropping the Note 7. Read on Android Central that another in KY and MN caught fire/exploded. And both were reissued models. Whoever does not believe this is catastrophic to the Note line and Samsung is mistaken.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    10-09-16 08:46 AM
    It is looking like AT&T and other carriers may be dropping the Note 7. Read on Android Central that another in KY and MN caught fire/exploded. And both were reissued models. Whoever does not believe this is catastrophic to the Note line and Samsung is mistaken.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    I don't think there's any doubt at this point that Samsung has, to put it mildly, a tough road ahead. They seem to be having their own "holding it wrong" moment. Copying Apple again! What many were disputing, myself included, was the idea that somehow, someway, BlackBerry could take advantage of this.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-09-16 02:47 PM
    I don't think there's any doubt at this point that Samsung has, to put it mildly, a tough road ahead. They seem to be having their own "holding it wrong" moment. Copying Apple again! What many were disputing, myself included, was the idea that somehow, someway, BlackBerry could take advantage of this.
    I think mostly Apple will benefit, then other Android OEMs. With DTEK60 coming out next week, maybe a small boost? If Android Central and other Android sites give it a decent review... The timing is good, anyway.
    10-09-16 03:26 PM
    Dtek60 will be a flop. BlackBerry doesn't advertise so general consumers beyond the BlackBerry faithful will not know about this phone. Enterprise may, but not the common Joe.

Sad that the Google phone will outsell dtek by millions.

I personally will hold out for the possible mercury. If that phone doesn't show up, then maybe the dtek60 will be a little cheaper and I may get one.

For now, quite content with my passport.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-09-16 04:32 PM
    I believe the Note series was pretty nice prior to the 7? Perhaps it will force people to go to the 6.
    Yeah, Revenge of the Si(x/th), ... and you bring up the Force... ;-D

Replaceable battery? And back to pre-IP67/68 days?

:-)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    10-09-16 06:10 PM
    "Is Samsung Toast?"

Toast indeed! They've been keeping the Android Central team and other news outlets very busy, all thanks to Samsung's rushed Galaxy Note 7 with its non-removable battery and poor quality tests. The Note line is one of the Android brands that I like, but Samsung needs to pull it from the market, go back to the drawing board, and return the Note line next year with a much improved phone.
    TgeekB and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-09-16 08:47 PM
    The note name has been irreparably damaged. Samsung phones are getting close to that point as well.

Unfortunately Chen has positioned Blackberry in such a way that they will likely not be able to take advantage of this.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 10:46 PM
    The Note 7 name is damaged that's about it. In a few weeks hardly anybody will care about it.
    10-09-16 11:01 PM
    The Note 7 name is damaged that's about it. In a few weeks hardly anybody will care about it.
    That's what people said a few weeks ago...

...and yet here we are.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 11:13 PM
    That's what people said a few weeks ago...

...and yet here we are.

Posted via CB10
    and your point is what exactly?
    10-10-16 12:35 AM
    https://www.rt.com/business/362223-s...n-smartphones/

Samsung Halts Galaxy Note 7 Production

As far as my point, those who only focus on what cannot be done will eventually find themselves living a self fulfilling prophecy.

Posted via CB10
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-10-16 07:37 AM
    Samsung will get through this....The NOTE brand might now.
    10-10-16 07:48 AM
    It depends on how many Samsung-loyal customers they have. There are lot of users who will get their full refund and buy the next logical flagship - the iPhone 7. During the first recall, the new iPhone wasn't really out, yet, and may not have been immediately available for exchange or purchase. Now that there is a second recall, that gives another opportunity for full refund or like-exchange.
    10-10-16 08:39 AM
    It depends on how many Samsung-loyal customers they have. There are lot of users who will get their full refund and buy the next logical flagship - the iPhone 7. During the first recall, the new iPhone wasn't really out, yet, and may not have been immediately available for exchange or purchase. Now that there is a second recall, that gives another opportunity for full refund or like-exchange.
    They're more likely to switch to another Android Flagship if they were Samsung loyalists. Their preference would be to stick to Android, preferably Samsung's version. Highly unlikely they will switch ecosystem to iPhone.
    New to Android or those who are not that heavily invested into Android as yet, will likely move to iPhone though.
    10-10-16 08:54 AM
    They're more likely to switch to another Android Flagship if they were Samsung loyalists. Their preference would be to stick to Android, preferably Samsung's version. Highly unlikely they will switch ecosystem to iPhone.
    New to Android or those who are not that heavily invested into Android as yet, will likely move to iPhone though.
    10-10-16 08:54 AM
    I believe your thinking that an Android user in a Note 7 would automatically switch to an iPhone is flawed and poorly thought out. If one has purchased the apps they want and use via Google Play why would they disregard them and choose a new OS? I know I would not. There are numerous other Android flagship options such as the S7, S7 Edge, HTC 10, LG5, soon V20, Nexus 6P, now Pixel line, One Plus 3, Axiom, Moto Z, etc an Android user has to consider.

The DTEK50
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-10-16 09:02 AM
    Thank you -

The DTEK50
    10-10-16 09:03 AM
    The vast majority of smartphone users are not brand or platform loyalists. There is plenty of jumping between the platforms. The problem for Samsung is that their flagship phone is being taken off the market and they are having to issue full refunds just as their main competitor's flagship phone is being launched so this two way platform exchange is suddenly a one-way street for at least part of a product cycle.
    10-10-16 09:59 AM
    I believe your thinking that an Android user in a Note 7 would automatically switch to an iPhone is flawed and poorly thought out. If one has purchased the apps they want and use via Google Play why would they disregard them and choose a new OS? I know I would not. There are numerous other Android flagship options such as the S7, S7 Edge, HTC 10, LG5, soon V20, Nexus 6P, now Pixel line, One Plus 3, Axiom, Moto Z, etc an Android user has to consider.

The DTEK50
    Agree. It's not easy to just switch if you are fully engaged with one OS.
    10-10-16 10:52 AM
    The vast majority of smartphone users are not brand or platform loyalists. There is plenty of jumping between the platforms. The problem for Samsung is that their flagship phone is being taken off the market and they are having to issue full refunds just as their main competitor's flagship phone is being launched so this two way platform exchange is suddenly a one-way street for at least part of a product cycle.
    Question also is how tainted the Galaxy line is with the average consumer. The 7 and Edge may suffer some stigma. Will Android itself?

It's a bit soon to say which vendor will dominate but one factor which which should be kept in mind is that Samsung was really the only other highend handset vendor that could supply in volume (and even they were anticipating delays based on demand) other than Apple. It is possible that the other Android vendors will have significant delays that might drive users to other platforms.
    10-10-16 11:54 AM
    Question also is how tainted the Galaxy line is with the average consumer. The 7 and Edge may suffer some stigma. Will Android itself?

It's a bit soon to say which vendor will dominate but one factor which which should be kept in mind is that Samsung was really the only other highend handset vendor that could supply in volume (and even they were anticipating delays based on demand) other than Apple. It is possible that the other Android vendors will have significant delays that might drive users to other platforms.
    Good point, how many will make the distinction on one model vs just hearing the name Samsung and stop there? Also, with the exploding appliances issue, how many might just move away from the brand altogether?

Amazing how years of building up a brand can be negatively impacted so quickly. It's like the analogy of how long it takes to grow a forest and how quickly it can burn down to nothing.
    10-10-16 12:31 PM
    Good point, how many will make the distinction on one model vs just hearing the name Samsung and stop there? Also, with the exploding appliances issue, how many might just move away from the brand altogether?

Amazing how years of building up a brand can be negatively impacted so quickly. It's like the analogy of how long it takes to grow a forest and how quickly it can burn down to nothing.
    Samsung is absolutely gigantic and diversified and very close to the Korean govt so the company itself will be fine but it will be interesting to see how the electronics and mobile division will be impacted. They also sell a stinkload of inexpensive phones whose markets may be oblivious to the Note issue.
    10-10-16 12:44 PM
    Samsung is absolutely gigantic and diversified and very close to the Korean govt so the company itself will be fine but it will be interesting to see how the electronics and mobile division will be impacted. They also sell a stinkload of inexpensive phones whose markets may be oblivious to the Note issue.
    For sure, was thinking more in Western markets, particularly the U.S. I think they can pull themselves out of it ultimately, but the surprisingly botched recall has done significant damage. Who wants a phone that they're afraid might catch fire when they plug it in to charge at night? And that unease is going to translate to all Samsung phones, imho. Not necessarily rational as battery fire is a risk with any brand, but...
    10-10-16 01:04 PM
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nl_tech&wpmm=1

Take-Aways very prominet in the article:

"As the world watches Samsung deal with the fallout from what could be the worst smartphone launch in recent memory, there should be a smile on faces at Google headquarters"

".The fallout has been clear: Slightly more than a third of Samsung smartphone owners said they would not buy another phone from the company after the Galaxy Note 7 recall, according to a survey from brand consultant firm Branding Brand, which conducted the poll before the replacements started catching on fire."
    10-10-16 03:11 PM
320 ... 678910 ...