Not really. Samsung hasn't done a very good job: very disorganized, overpromising when replacements will be available, not at all clear as how to replacements will be done, seemingly different info from location to location. They also immediately announced a worldwide recall but didn't actually act on getting it started until called on the carpet. It seems every subsequent step they announced immediately raised another issue. Everything just felt like reactive panic vs proactive. Sure the recall is unprecedented in size but Samsung is a huge beast that has been in business for a very long time, in a lot of businesses with similar hazards. I am just surprised they don't have better fast response policies in place throughout.
    Eh.. so what you're saying is they should have planned for a recall of millions of units when they began production?

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    09-21-16 06:26 AM
    Not going to happen. I went to the AT&T store to get the youngest her new iPhone 7, and almost 70% of the phones there were Samsung. You know how many Blackberry phones were displayed: 0. That is right ZERO, ZIP, NADA. BB is dying, Samsung and Apple rule the world. No amount of BB fanboyism will make it anything else but a dream. Unless and until BB gets its head out of its posterior and starts marketing its devices, and lets the world know they are still out there, AND gets its devices (yes DEVICES plural and multiple) out into STORES!!!! BB is dead.
    09-21-16 06:34 AM
    Dreamliner and battery fires - think they are still flying and no one thinks about them now!!
    09-21-16 08:49 AM
    This kind of report could be damaging to the Samsung brand: Rush to Take Advantage of a Dull iPhone Started Samsung's Battery Crisis - Bloomberg

The press love to fan the flames....

(pardon the pun)
    09-21-16 10:37 AM
    Dreamliner and battery fires - think they are still flying and no one thinks about them now!!
    The Dreamliner battery issue did not result in any injuries or aircraft losses. If media reports are correct, Samsung's battery issue has caused both injuries and unit losses.
    09-21-16 10:39 AM
    This kind of report could be damaging to the Samsung brand: Rush to Take Advantage of a Dull iPhone Started Samsung's Battery Crisis - Bloomberg

The press love to fan the flames....

(pardon the pun)
    If that's true, it completely backFIRED on Samsung, ha.
    09-21-16 11:30 AM
    Samsung makes everything from TV's to probably nuclear warheads, they will be ok.

I think the bigger problem is that they cannot get the message out to ALL the owners of Note 7's to stop using them. It's like when I see anyone in a lineup or in an elevator with an iphone I ask them "so what do you think of ios10?". They aren't even aware of what OS they are running. I would bet that MOST people don't bother keeping up to date and have no intention to, they just trust their devices to work.

You can bet that Apple will take advantage of this if they haven't already, and why not. Buisness is buisness.
    09-21-16 11:42 AM
    I don't mean to laugh but "Samsung is toast"? Really? I thought they handled this extremely well and, if anything, it will gain them sales because they proved to people they stand behind their products.
    The topic was a click bait. Look at what this thread turned into. smh

I like my coffee  BlackBerry� black! What?
    09-21-16 12:45 PM
    Samsung makes everything from TV's to probably nuclear warheads, they will be ok.

I think the bigger problem is that they cannot get the message out to ALL the owners of Note 7's to stop using them. It's like when I see anyone in a lineup or in an elevator with an iphone I ask them "so what do you think of ios10?". They aren't even aware of what OS they are running. I would bet that MOST people don't bother keeping up to date and have no intention to, they just trust their devices to work.

You can bet that Apple will take advantage of this if they haven't already, and why not. Buisness is buisness.
    I'm sure Apple will benefit somehow, as this recall is happening in the midst of a new iPhone launch, but they can't actively, purposefully try to take advantage of this. If they did, it would be a bad look for them and result in bad press that they really don't need.
    09-21-16 12:46 PM
    Well that the BlackBerry server was down for days a few years ago wasn't exactly advertising.....
    In a way it was as as people still talk about it as BlackBerry is still important despite poor handset sales. No one would care less if Whatsapp went down. They would just switch over to texting until it was working again.

BB, Still the One
    09-21-16 01:41 PM
    Samsung is currently getting destroyed.

Currently, every passenger who gets on a commercial flight in the United States is hearing some variation of the following announcement:

"Ladies and gentlemen, due to the recent recall of Samsung phones due to battery fires, if you have a Samsung phone we require you to keep it powered off and not charge it while on board the aircraft."

Every passenger.

Every flight.

Every day.

A brand cannot tolerate that level of negative advertising at an individual level and survive.

Samsung is toast.

Now knowing this, if Blackberry was a nimble company they would place ads for their phones strategically positioned in the dozen or so major airline hubs in the US...and full page ads in the three major inflight magazines in the US.

Will they?

Can someone get this post on Chen's desk?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I have been traveling internationally the last two weeks and have heard all of the announcements. They are even stronger in Europe. On the flip side many Android forums people are hoping Samsung offers big discounts on refurbished Note 7. If they offered a discount I would probably get one.
    09-21-16 01:51 PM
    The topic was a click bait. Look at what this thread turned into. smh

I like my coffee  BlackBerry� black! What?
    The title was click bait, the content is as what I was commenting on.
    09-21-16 02:03 PM
    Well I'm not quite ready to write them off JUST yet, BUT certainly this is a HUGE blow, and big embarrassment. The FAA announcement, is BAD!
    09-21-16 02:18 PM
    How has Ford fared after the Pinto? Toyota after the braking issues?
    09-21-16 03:46 PM
    The title was click bait, the content is as what I was commenting on.
    Hyperbole works!
    09-21-16 03:54 PM
    I'm sure Apple will benefit somehow, as this recall is happening in the midst of a new iPhone launch, but they can't actively, purposefully try to take advantage of this. If they did, it would be a bad look for them and result in bad press that they really don't need.
    I thought buisnesses took advantage of each other all the time? I think in the new Iphone 7 keynote (or a previous KN) Phil Schiller joked about the new device being "Android-Free."

But of course Apple will be all too happy to take advantage of higher sales if there is a glitch with Sammy phones. Sammy would do the same.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-21-16 09:32 PM
    i bet that samsung produces enough of the parts in the iphone that its 1/3 of the cost. No reason to try and say anything. The obviously are perfectly placed with the iphone release as it is and are pulling in orders like crazy for them
    09-21-16 09:39 PM
    The Notes catching fire are certainly toast, but as embarrassing as it is for Samsung, they will weather the firestorm (sorry couldn't resist) just fine.

If anyone will benefit from the bad publicity, I would say that it would be Apple.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 10:01 PM
    The Notes catching fire are certainly toast, but as embarrassing as it is for Samsung, they will weather the firestorm (sorry couldn't resist) just fine.

If anyone will benefit from the bad publicity, I would say that it would be Apple.

Posted via CB10
    It's a good thing Samsung phones are waterproof, because underwater is the only safe place they can be charged

(that one was going around for a few days now)

09-21-16 10:05 PM
    So we're saying that this is pointless because 1. Blackberry droids suck, 2. Blackberry can't afford even a limited ad campaign, or 3. Users who paid a premium price for a premium phone aren't going to be angry and look for a zero inconvenience replacement?

Look, we all know what happens if the status quo is maintained. But most of the arguments here seem to be in favor of maintaining the status quo.

Maybe it really is over.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 11:59 PM
    So we're saying that this is pointless because 1. Blackberry droids suck, 2. Blackberry can't afford even a limited ad campaign, or 3. Users who paid a premium price for a premium phone aren't going to be angry and look for a zero inconvenience replacement?

Look, we all know what happens if the status quo is maintained. But most of the arguments here seem to be in favor of maintaining the status quo.

Maybe it really is over.

Posted via CB10
    For BB Hardware, there is no "maybe". It really is over.

The status quo is the status quo for the simple reason that it works for most and they see no imperative to overturn it. Outside of the CB bubble, few are worried about the Apple/Android duopoly (which works well for customers, developers, carriers and Apple/Samsung).

As to your point 3, of course those owners will be angry and some will buy another phone (most likely an iPhone). What nobody (outside of the CB bubble) will do is swap their Android flagship for a cheap fleet phone! That swap would disadvantage them and would make no sense (to anyone outside the bubble )
    TgeekB and shaleem like this.
    09-22-16 01:36 AM
    Samsung reportedly shipped 15 million S6s and S6 edges at launch. If Blackberry could sway 1 of 10 Samsung users with this campaign would it matter to the hardware division?

Posted via CB10
    They might get lucky enough to sway 1 or 2... if free beer was offered.

The Galaxy Note line has enjoyed one of the most loyal user bases in the smartphone arena. I know a number of other Note owners who grumbled about having to wait a little bit, but haven't changed their plans to get it when the issue is resolved. I don't mind waiting for the devices to get in, because frankly, the phone is worth it.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 09-23-16 at 02:48 PM.
    shaleem likes this.
    09-22-16 01:49 AM
    Samsung might be in bigger trouble than we think. The Chinese are apparently pretty upset and they feel "let down" by the company over this. The Chinese market is big enough to make all the difference that matters...

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_16036/cont...tguid=pB3BLKuT

09-22-16 02:13 AM
    I'd phrase it slightly different

1. Blackberry droids are either old in android terms (Priv) or low-middle end (Dtek) - not of interest to flagship buyers.
    2. Blackberry can't afford even a limited ad campaign.
    3. Even if they could - the Dtek50 isn't sold by most carriers, there are no devices in front of consumers for them to buy.
    4. People who paid for a premium device are going to swap it out for a premium device not a rebadged acatel.

It's really puzzling to me why you cannot get your head around the idea that the Dtek50 is not a competitor to the Note 7 in any sense.

That swap would disadvantage them and would make no sense (to anyone outside the bubble )

I can see it now -

Customer: "Excuse me, I want to replace this Note 7"

Sales rep: "certainly Sir, what device would you like? An iphone 7, a Samsung s7? The HTC10 is very nice as well"

Customer: "no I was thinking, I want something with a smaller inferior screen with a lower resolution. I also don't an iris scanner or a fingerprint reader. Instead of a top of the line processor, I'd like something mid-range, like a 615. It would be great if the internal storage was 16gb rather than 64gb. In terms of media, I want inferior cameras and also I'd like a much smaller battery. Also forget the water-proofing and dust-proofing".

Sales rep: em....er... there is the Idol 4.

Customer: NO, I HATE THE WORD IDOL. what about the Dtek50?

Sales rep: Nobody sells it.
    Last edited by cgk; 09-22-16 at 02:47 AM.
    09-22-16 02:36 AM
    It's really puzzling to me why you cannot get your head around the idea that the Dtek50 is not a competitor to the Note 7 in any sense.
    As of today, the homeless guy under a bridge with a Motorola Startac has a more useful phone than an executive with a Note 7 in an airport.

...and humans being who they are - and the people who make announcements being who they are - the message that is getting out is "don't charge or use your Samsung phone on an airplane."

Heck, do a trade in promotion for a dtek, donate the note 7s you receive to starving orphans, grab a write off, and dump the recalled phones back in samsung's lap by way of a new end user.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 05:48 AM
320 ... 23456 ...