Blackberry is toast x10 if you really think Samsung is toast.
    09-20-16 03:56 PM
    Samsung is currently getting destroyed.

Currently, every passenger who gets on a commercial flight in the United States is hearing some variation of the following announcement:

"Ladies and gentlemen, due to the recent recall of Samsung phones due to battery fires, if you have a Samsung phone we require you to keep it powered off and not charge it while on board the aircraft."

Posted via CB10
    I just flew on American Airlines. They specifically mentioned the Galaxy Note 7. The safety announcement didn't mention any other phones, Samsung or otherwise. They announced it prior to boarding and on the plane. All other announcements had to do with all phones and larger devices (when you were allowed to use them using wifi etc.)
    TgeekB and Ronindan like this.
    09-20-16 04:11 PM
    I just flew on American Airlines. They specifically mentioned the Galaxy Note 7. The safety announcement didn't mention any other phones, Samsung or otherwise. They announced it prior to boarding and on the plane. All other announcements had to do with all phones and larger devices (when you were allowed to use them using wifi etc.)
    This makes sense. Why would they ban all Samsung phones?
    09-20-16 04:51 PM
    I think it's a major headache for Samsung but they'll recover from it. I also think the real winner from this situation is the iPhone 7+ which is probably getting a boost in sales.

So, I have a question, don't know if anyone has the answer. Are ALL Note 7 devices banned from airlines? What about people that have already received their replacement Note 7's that don't have the battery issue?
    09-20-16 05:12 PM
    I think it's a major headache for Samsung but they'll recover from it. I also think the real winner from this situation is the iPhone 7+ which is probably getting a boost in sales.

So, I have a question, don't know if anyone has the answer. Are ALL Note 7 devices banned from airlines? What about people that have already received their replacement Note 7's that don't have the battery issue?
    Good question. Do you get a note (no pun intended) from Samsung stating it is a reissued phone?
    09-20-16 05:14 PM
    Good question. Do you get a note (no pun intended) from Samsung stating it is a reissued phone?
    That's what I'm wondering. Otherwise, how long does the ban stay in effect? Until Samsung declares that they've recalled all the phones and/or remotely crippled the firmware of those that haven't turned theirs in yet?

EDIT: By ban I mean banned from using the device at all on the plane.
    09-20-16 05:18 PM
    That's what I'm wondering. Otherwise, how long does the ban stay in effect? Until Samsung declares that they've recalled all the phones and/or remotely crippled the firmware of those that haven't turned theirs in yet?

There has to be some kind of formal process. We probably just haven't heard all the details yet.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-20-16 05:28 PM
    You get some kind of sticker that says it's safe, however, the airlines probably aren't going to differentiate between the safe ones and the unsafe ones. They have all sorts of discretion regarding safety. They often ban all electronic use during instrument landings in foggy weather. So, effectively, you may never be able to use a Note 7 on a plane. That kind of indefinite ban would make a lot of people switch to an iPhone given the opportunity - which they are - as the equivalent flagship smartphone.
    09-20-16 05:45 PM
    He has to win the case before he can spend Samsung's money.

A while ago, a lithium battery exploded inside a metal avionics box we had on the rig ... it punched a hole in the case and wrecked the internals. If a similar battery had been in that guy's pocket... IMO he'd be an amputee about now... and would probably deserve some of Samsung's cash.
    2nd degree burns will be enough. That's what I meant by winning the lottery... his injuries could have been much worse.
    09-20-16 05:54 PM

In the US? Until the CSPC is satisfied and the FAA is satisfied. It's not clear to me what Samsung has to do to escape the doodoo list.
    09-20-16 07:39 PM
    There has to be some kind of formal process. We probably just haven't heard all the details yet.
    Latest details.

Samsung Galaxy Note7 U.S. Voluntary Recall Update

Samsung Will Begin Note7 Exchanges Nationwide No Later Than September 21, 2016

RIDGEFIELD PARK, N.J. – SEPTEMBER 20, 2016 – Samsung Electronics America, Inc. today announced that over 500,000 new Galaxy Note7 replacement devices have arrived in the U.S. and have been shipped to carrier and retail stores. New Galaxy Note7 devices will be available for exchange at retail locations nationwide tomorrow.

Software Update to Easily Identify New Galaxy Note7 Devices

Samsung also announced the rollout of a software update for new Note7 devices.

The software updates are being delivered in partnership with Carriers and will display a green battery icon on the status bar found on the top right hand of the screen. The green icon indicates that consumers have a new Galaxy Note7 with an unaffected battery.

Samsung and the U.S. CPSC have and continue to urge all consumers of Note7s sold prior to September 15 to power down their device. For those not heeding that advice or are still not aware of the recall notice, a software update will be pushed to all recalled devices. Once installed, users will be prompted with a safety notice that urges owners to power down and exchange their recalled device. The notice will appear every time a user powers up or charges their device.

For details on the software update visit www.samsung.com/us/note7recall.

“Working hand in hand with the CPSC, we are delivering as promised and moving quickly to educate consumers about the recall and make new Note7s available,” says Tim Baxter, president of Samsung Electronics America. “New devices will be in stores no later than tomorrow and we will continue to take the necessary actions to ensure users are powering down and immediately exchanging recalled devices.”

In conjunction with the CPSC, carriers and retailers, Samsung continues to maximize its reach to Note7 owners through multiple touchpoints, including direct communications, customer service, social media, marketing and in-store communications.

Consumers are encouraged to visit samsung.com/us/note7recall for carrier and retailer specific instructions on how and where to exchange their Note7 device.

Galaxy Note7 Recall - Facts-at-a-glance:
    1. 09/02/16: Samsung Announces Note7 battery cell issue and stop sale
    2. 09/09/16: Samsung and CPSC issue “power down and stop use” guidance
    3. 09/15/16 : CPSC voluntary recall announced
    4. 09/15/16: Device Check (IMEI) identification program launched
    a. Web portal (www.samsung.com/us/note7recall)
    b. Dedicated toll-free number 1-844-365-6197
    c. Samsung+ self-check function
    5. 09/20/16: Firmware update released for new Galaxy Note7s and recalled devices
    6. 09/21/16: Over 500,000 new Note7 replacement devices available for exchange
    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...ready-exchange
    09-20-16 07:52 PM
    I don't mean to laugh but "Samsung is toast"? Really? I thought they handled this extremely well and, if anything, it will gain them sales because they proved to people they stand behind their products.
    Not really. Samsung hasn't done a very good job: very disorganized, overpromising when replacements will be available, not at all clear as how to replacements will be done, seemingly different info from location to location. They also immediately announced a worldwide recall but didn't actually act on getting it started until called on the carpet. It seems every subsequent step they announced immediately raised another issue. Everything just felt like reactive panic vs proactive. Sure the recall is unprecedented in size but Samsung is a huge beast that has been in business for a very long time, in a lot of businesses with similar hazards. I am just surprised they don't have better fast response policies in place throughout.
    09-20-16 07:53 PM
    Not really. Samsung hasn't done a very good job: very disorganized, overpromising when replacements will be available, not at all clear as how to replacements will be done, seemingly different info from location to location. They also immediately announced a worldwide recall but didn't actually act on getting it started until called on the carpet. It seems every subsequent step they announced immediately raised another issue. Everything just felt like reactive panic vs proactive. Sure the recall is unprecedented in size but Samsung is a huge beast that has been in business for a very long time, in a lot of businesses with similar hazards. I am just surprised they don't have better fast response policies in place throughout.
    Read Blaze's post above.
    09-20-16 07:54 PM
    2nd degree burns will be enough. That's what I meant by winning the lottery... his injuries could have been much worse.
    If you can stomach gross pics, google for the dude whose Galaxy 7 caught fire in his pocket and melted his pants to his skin. He needed major skin grafts. Nasty.
    09-20-16 07:56 PM

I won't say you're wrong, but I will say we have very different outlooks on the situation. Your outlook seems driven by perception rather than facts.
    TgeekB and shaleem like this.
    09-20-16 07:58 PM
    Read Blaze's post above.
    Yes, I am aware of the timeline and the various news items, vs a well crafted press release. As I tried to convey, Samsung did not manage their message well at all. A variation of this press release (aka a "Stay Calm" poster) is how it should have started. As it is, one hears wild rumors and facts of auto updates gimping the battery or battery icons that OMG break Google's UI rules and may not be seen anyway depending on what skins are use. I don't even know what is true, whether they actually came from Samsung or not. I am pretty sure the charging restriction was pushed through (I think it is item 5 in the press release) but as a CNBC article stated, "It isn't clear".

Will it leave a lasting mark? Doubt it and hopefully it shouldn't.
    09-20-16 08:11 PM
    I won't say you're wrong, but I will say we have very different outlooks on the situation. Your outlook seems driven by perception rather than facts.
    Perhaps. Or perhaps both of us are.
    09-20-16 08:13 PM
    As other people as said this recall is an nothing more than an embarrassment to Samsung. I guess some people forgot that Samsung offer other models that is not affected by this recall. And Samsung did not make it worse for them by denying the whole issue. But by tackling this problem head on, they probably increased their credibility with a lot of their customers - especially enterprise customers. For example my employer is quite happy with the recall and a number of my colleagues slated to get the note 7 simply decided to wait for their new phone to arrive or just simply selected the S7 edge instead.
    09-20-16 08:15 PM
    I wonder if they'll replace the batteries on the returned units and resell them cheaper as refurbished? I might grab one, lol.
    09-20-16 08:18 PM
    I can see it now...

BlackBerry Priv and DTEK
    Marshmallow on the inside, not

Jrox74 and zephyr613 like this.
    09-20-16 08:22 PM
    I wonder if they'll replace the batteries on the returned units and resell them cheaper as refurbished? I might grab one, lol.
    Might cost them to much to do that. But knowing Samsung they might recycle the chassis, screen etc... I will not be surprised that early next year Samsung will release phone in Asia or Eastern Europe with a Note 7 body and S6 internals. :-)
    09-20-16 08:28 PM
    It is hard for me to imagine this since I hate flying and do it as rarely as possible. But if I heard that announcement my brain would translate it to "note 7's are ****."

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    09-20-16 09:01 PM
    That's an awesome idea! A backup for my Priv. Hahaha

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    09-20-16 09:02 PM
    Yu will hear the same announcement on all Qantas flights as well. Heard the announcement on my flight from HK to Sydney and on my return flight. I don't think this problem is going away anytime soon and now with Apple having Hissgate with their processors it just shows that everyone has issues somewhere down the line and maybe this will get people to look at BlackBerry once again. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE & Semi Retired Z10
    09-21-16 01:09 AM
    It's going to cost Samsung a bit, but they're big enough to walk it off. Blackberry on the other hand...do they even have a marketing department?

Posted via CB10
    Lol, nice reply

Posted via CB10
    09-21-16 06:06 AM
320 12345 ...