Link from CNN:

(CNN) -- Apple has elicited a lot of hand-wringing by investors and fans alike lately, even as its chief competition Samsung seems to be prompting nothing but applause. Turns out selling a wider variety of phones and tablets is a good strategy after all.

While Apple was on its way to the company's first profit decline in almost a decade during the first three months of the year, Samsung's net profit grew 42 percent in the same period to 7.2 trillion won -- about $6.5 billion U.S. -- from 5 trillion won a year earlier. It was a record-setting quarter for the Korean consumer electronics maker.

"Our business earnings grew from the previous quarter driven by an increase in smartphone sales and decreased marketing expenses," Hyun Joon Kim, Samsung's vice president of mobile planning told analysts.

In other words, Samsung sold more phones while pumping less money into marketing. Kim further pinned the quarter's success on sales of its flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S3, and its oversized Galaxy Note 2 handset.
    My wife is a case in point: She dumped her iPhone 4s for a Samsung Galaxy Note II.
    04-29-13 05:26 PM
    ermm OK think you in the wrong place you looking for Android central this has no business here.If you scroll right to the bottom you can see a link to android central your posted information will make sense there.
    schmeat and ekv like this.
    04-29-13 05:42 PM
    ermm OK think you in the wrong place you looking for Android central this has no business.IF you scroll right to teh bottom you can see a link to android central thsi information will make sense there.
    So in your opinion, neither Android nor Apple has any bearing on how well BlackBerry does, despite the fact that both are direct competitors in the smartphone market?

Okay then.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    04-29-13 05:43 PM
    "Turns out selling a wider variety of phones and tablets is a good strategy after all."

Wait a sec....

That sounds familiar....

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:52 PM
    Marketing isn't everything, despite what some folks say, and diversity of offerings seems to be very important. In other sense, just because I think "holding a large handset to the head is stupid" doesn't mean everybody thinks that way.

A lot can be learned from Sammy.
    04-29-13 06:04 PM
    Well, it helps that Samsung is essentially buying parts from themselves.

However, I do believe they over-saturate the market with products, many of which are junk or seemingly unpopular and quickly forgotten, but the unbelievably success of their other products can help sustain that. When it comes down to it, all this mass producing really cuts the cost for themselves at a rate most other competitors can't match.

Personally, I think in the long term this really hurts the consumer. We -need- competition.
    04-29-13 06:24 PM
    However, I do believe they over-saturate the market with products, many of which are junk or seemingly unpopular and quickly forgotten
    Examples? One or two?
    04-29-13 06:34 PM
    Samsung is creating huge momentum indeed! Having said that, there seems lot of hyperbole here....I read TWO articles with the "Spanking" headline...another headline said Apple is "collapsing"!

Apple still had nearly 50% higher profit than Samsung, sold more iphones than the same quarter last year, had their best numbers for this quarter ever, and had a HUGE increase in ipad sales (the mini was a big factor there). They definitely need to be careful....and I don't like their position for a few reasons (the diversity isn't the biggest issue in my opinion).the war is heating up more than ever, but they're still doing very well. It all depends on what each of them come up with from here....
    04-29-13 06:51 PM
    Examples? One or two?
    All Samsung phones

I'm sure you can find one or two in there
    04-29-13 08:23 PM
    Well, it helps that Samsung is essentially buying parts from themselves.

However, I do believe they over-saturate the market with products, many of which are junk or seemingly unpopular and quickly forgotten, but the unbelievably success of their other products can help sustain that. When it comes down to it, all this mass producing really cuts the cost for themselves at a rate most other competitors can't match.

Personally, I think in the long term this really hurts the consumer. We -need- competition.
    Can you explain how "this really hurts the consumer?"
    04-30-13 06:03 AM
    Apple took 72% of all handset profits last quarter, I don't suppose they're overly worried.

Apple took home 72% of all handset profits last quarter - Apple 2.0 -Fortune Tech
    brucep1 likes this.
    04-30-13 08:26 AM
    Link from CNN:

My wife is a case in point: She dumped her iPhone 4s for a Samsung Galaxy Note II.
    I'm not an apple fan by any margin but I hope your wife is prepared for a cheap plastic product with some of the worst support for any product, regardless of industry, in the world.
    If you have a problem with your iphone, take it to an apple store and they sort you out really quickly and efficiently (the company I work for uses them as a standard...thousands in use worldwide). If you have a problem with your Samsung device, good luck is all I can say...hopefully your carrier will help you because Samsung will not...

Samsung are the same with their TV's, washing machines etc....service stinks...

To each his/her own I guess
    04-30-13 05:27 PM
    I'm not an apple fan by any margin but I hope your wife is prepared for a cheap plastic product with some of the worst support for any product, regardless of industry, in the world.
    If you have a problem with your iphone, take it to an apple store and they sort you out really quickly and efficiently (the company I work for uses them as a standard...thousands in use worldwide). If you have a problem with your Samsung device, good luck is all I can say...hopefully your carrier will help you because Samsung will not...

Samsung are the same with their TV's, washing machines etc....service stinks...

To each his/her own I guess
    Shenanigans. And just in case you missed what I just said... Shenanigans.

That device is solid. And the support is exceptional.

I've had the pleasure of working with owners of the Note, and it's definitely a solid product. Hardware, Software, AND support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    04-30-13 05:35 PM
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. So far, she's had no issues with it and it's under warranty.
    Yeah, we had mixed results with the local Apple folks. Thankfully, her iPhone never had any issues we couldn't solve by looking online - much as she does now for the Note II.

My uncle is another story altogether. He bombards Best Buy about his Note II, and they've been very helpful - even if they've grown to dread his usual calls.
    05-01-13 12:35 AM