(Reuters) - South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co said on Thursday it has not considered acquiring Research In Motion or licensing the embattled BlackBerry phone maker's new mobile operating system.

A lack of support from potential partners such as Samsung could mean more trouble for RIM, which is seeking various options to turn around its embattled business.

Shares of RIM had risen more than 5 percent early on Wednesday after an influential analyst said it may license the BlackBerry 10 system to Samsung.

"RIM has already lost its initiative in the smartphone market and what is left doesn't look really attractive to the likes of Samsung," said Lee Sei-cheol, an analyst at Meritz Securities. "Should they have a deep patent pool, that might be the most appealing asset to potential acquirers."

Samsung, the world's largest smartphone maker, is the biggest seller of phones that run on Google Inc's Android system, but it also makes phones using Microsoft's Windows as well as its proprietary software called bada.

Its strategy of making phones with multiple platforms had raised speculation it may also license BlackBerry's system to stretch its lead over rivals such as Apple and diversify away from Google, which now owns a handset manufacturing business after acquiring Motorola Mobility.

RIM plans to use its new operating system, known as BB10, in a next-generation line of BlackBerrys expected to launch early next year. It is considered RIM's last hope of reversing BlackBerry's steady decline in market share.

RIM's shares have fallen more than 80 percent since the beginning of 2011 when Apple and other smartphone makers started to widen their lead on RIM, which once dominated the business.

Shares in Samsung closed up 1.5 percent on Thursday, versus a 2 percent rise in the broader market.

(Reporting by Miyoung Kim; Editing by Matt Driskill)

Samsung says not considering buying RIM or BlackBerry license | Reuters
    08-09-12 05:07 AM
    What? all those reports were made up? Come on. Its only the 10th time samsung was gonna buy RIM.

Its great how theres no quote from samsung. Just like there was no real info on the news this morning.
    Last edited by hurds; 08-09-12 at 05:37 AM.
    Tim1131 likes this.
    08-09-12 05:32 AM
    RIM stock will fall this morning with this news........
    08-09-12 06:50 AM
    It's what people do to make a quick buck off the stock

But seriously, if Samsung were to license BB10, you wouldn't hear about it now anyways. This is the kind of stuff companies usually like to keep under wraps until the right time comes along. They may have already agreed on a licensing deal, we just may not know it yet. Conversely, nothing may happen at all. But I think either way, both companies would deny it at this point.

Just MY opinion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-09-12 07:02 AM
    After the HP-Palm debacle, I'm sure hardware manufacturers are in no hurry to revive the vertically integrated product model. Samsung is the sole profitable Android OEM but is currently fighting an important court case against Apple, and faces competition on the tablet front with the Google-Asus Nexus 7. They are probably also in talks with Google about the next Nexus phone and are preparing to enter the market with Windows 8 tablets. Licensing BB10 would be one too many irons in the fire for their mobile division, especially as the payoff is entirely uncertain.
    08-09-12 08:22 AM
    I'm tired of hearing about it. Its the same story everytime nothing new or exciting.
    08-09-12 08:46 AM
    Licensing BB10 would be one too many irons in the fire for their mobile division, especially as the payoff is entirely uncertain.
    I would challenge people here to actually download the Windows 8 preview and the SDK. It is months, maybe years ahead of where RIM is right now with their native SDK.

Of course that's to be expected, since Microsoft is a software company building on years of work in this area. But still, from Samsung's perspective they already have 3 operating systems in house now, and two of them are quite a bit more polished and complete than BB10 is right now. That's just the reality of this.
    08-09-12 08:50 AM
    What I don't get is how the same people can come out every month like clockwork and make up totally fictional information that's been rehashed and disproved time and time again. And yet everyone takes them seriously and seems to forget that they've heard the same thing before.

This isn't the last time we're going to hear that Samsung is buying RIM, nor the last time that Samsung and RIM will have to set the record straight.
    08-09-12 09:13 AM
    I reckon the US government might have a problem with a South Korean company owning some parts of RIM's intellectual property. I can't imagine the political nightmare that would ensue if Samsung tried to buy all of RIM. Licensing BB10 is plausible, but for now, it is only speculation that bubbles up periodically. Anyway, neither party would confirm anything until something is signed, so what's the point in speculating?
    08-09-12 09:57 AM
    I posted this in another samsung rumor thread I truly do believe RIM will be releasing a great product people just have to be open minded which most aren't

RIM is doing something no one has ever done before with BB10 and QNX,the integration of electronic devices. Samsung doesn't just have tablets and smartphones. They also have TVs computers, appliances. You name it they have it so no android isn't their only cash flow.

To totally dismiss RIM and their product ideas is plan ignorant. RIM is re innovating things as we know it but the general consumer has their head so far in the clouds (the iClouds,lmao) that they can't see the awesome potential that RIM and QNX have to offer.

So that being said I doubt samsung has thought that with an acquisition or a partnership with RIM may lead to the abilities to put QNX into all their stuff and have their tablet or phone let them know their popcorn is ready or their oven is at 450degrees or stream a movie from their tablet to heir tv with a bridge feature rather then have an HDMI cable like us playbook users have.

The possibilities are endless when it comes to technologies these day and RIM will forever change this the general public just can't see this and is selling RIM and their views short simply because of past problems and poor media reports.

Building a new OS from the ground up is never an easy thing, but to restructure an OS with the abilities of what I stated above is even harder which is why BB10 is taking so long but people refuse to see this and this is really where RIM has to worry not because their products are lacking but because the general public is God damn stupid.

RIM is setting out to change things we have to give them time to do so and keep an open mind so please everyone just keep stupid comments and media garbage to a minimum.

Your crackberry friend
    Leo
    Cesare21 and go1ndr like this.
    08-09-12 10:04 AM
    What I don't get is how the same people can come out every month like clockwork and make up totally fictional information that's been rehashed and disproved time and time again. And yet everyone takes them seriously and seems to forget that they've heard the same thing before.

This isn't the last time we're going to hear that Samsung is buying RIM, nor the last time that Samsung and RIM will have to set the record straight.
    yep!

Shares of RIM had risen more than 5 percent early on Wednesday after an influential analyst said it may license the BlackBerry 10 system to Samsung.
    I had a good laugh when i read that line, but the sad part is its still true (influential).
    08-09-12 10:12 AM
    Looking at the "influential analyst" track record... cannot understand why he is influential????
    08-09-12 10:23 AM
    It wont be Samsung, but it could be another Android Vendor. I told RIM a long time ago that they should have another vendor produce a BlackBerry device.

HTC criticism 2012: Apple, Samsung competition has HTC in Hell

(yes its BGR I know and does throw pot shots at RIM throughout) HTC is in trouble with its current handset line up, but they do make very nice devices. This could actually help both companies if done correctly.
    08-09-12 11:11 AM
    I posted this in another samsung rumor thread I truly do believe RIM will be releasing a great product people just have to be open minded which most aren't

RIM is doing something no one has ever done before with BB10 and QNX,the integration of electronic devices. Samsung doesn't just have tablets and smartphones. They also have TVs computers, appliances. You name it they have it so no android isn't their only cash flow.

To totally dismiss RIM and their product ideas is plan ignorant. RIM is re innovating things as we know it but the general consumer has their head so far in the clouds (the iClouds,lmao) that they can't see the awesome potential that RIM and QNX have to offer.

So that being said I doubt samsung has thought that with an acquisition or a partnership with RIM may lead to the abilities to put QNX into all their stuff and have their tablet or phone let them know their popcorn is ready or their oven is at 450degrees or stream a movie from their tablet to heir tv with a bridge feature rather then have an HDMI cable like us playbook users have.

The possibilities are endless when it comes to technologies these day and RIM will forever change this the general public just can't see this and is selling RIM and their views short simply because of past problems and poor media reports.

Building a new OS from the ground up is never an easy thing, but to restructure an OS with the abilities of what I stated above is even harder which is why BB10 is taking so long but people refuse to see this and this is really where RIM has to worry not because their products are lacking but because the general public is God damn stupid.

RIM is setting out to change things we have to give them time to do so and keep an open mind so please everyone just keep stupid comments and media garbage to a minimum.

Your crackberry friend
    Leo
    Oh, WOW!
    08-09-12 11:19 AM
    @Sith: your post does make sense to me atleast. HTC was a pioneer before and I think they have reached a point where they need to rediscover themselves. There were talks of HTC creating their own OS a couple of years back (?) but the marriage between HTC and RIM does make sense to me. Of course, it all depends how soon RIM gets BB10 out of the door and how good it is. Hopefully it's a bomb.
    08-09-12 11:58 AM
    @Sith: your post does make sense to me atleast. HTC was a pioneer before and I think they have reached a point where they need to rediscover themselves. There were talks of HTC creating their own OS a couple of years back (?) but the marriage between HTC and RIM does make sense to me. Of course, it all depends how soon RIM gets BB10 out of the door and how good it is. Hopefully it's a bomb.

Samsung owns Android, and the only real threat to that dominance may be Google/Motorola (but not sure how that would play with all the Android OEMs). All other Android vendors are hurting because of this. Apple dominants on its own, and its unlikely that will change any time soon. That leaves whomever the third ecosystem will be. Microsoft and Nokia are already producing WP7 devices (soon W8) and those have not really done much. That leaves RIM, and the bet on BB10. It is very possible BB10 could provide enough differentiation from the mass number of Android phones and let the manufacturers make some money off of it, particularly in the Fed/Gov spaces.
    Cesare21 likes this.
    08-09-12 12:12 PM
    I'm puzzled why is HTC so attractive to people as a partner to RIM? They have made mistake after mistake and have been punished by the market - as a company, they don't seem to be in any better shape than RIM (and their market cap is about the same level) - I don't see an upside for RIM getting into bed with a company on the skids in the way HTC is.

The real problem is that even together that Apple and Samsung can simply outspend HTC in terms of marketing and saleforce incentives (the Guardian suggests that Samsung outspends HTC six to one and Apple outspends them four to one) - that along with supply-chain is where the real battle is fought - turning out a decent handset isn't enough.
    Last edited by cgk; 08-09-12 at 03:17 PM.
    08-09-12 03:13 PM
    RIM stock will fall this morning with this news........
    Sorry but the stock ended up for the day. I guess you have no idea what you are talking about. Thanks for coming out.
    08-09-12 03:13 PM
    I'm puzzled why is HTC so attractive to people as a partner to RIM? They have made mistake after mistake and have been punished by the market - as a company, they don't seem to be in any better shape than RIM (and their market cap is about the same level) - I don't see an upside for RIM getting into bed with a company on the skids in the way HTC is.

The real problem is that even together that Apple and Samsung can simply outspend HTC in terms of marketing and saleforce incentives (the Guardian suggests that Samsung outspends HTC six to one and Apple outspends them four to one) - that along with supply-chain is where the real battle is fought - turning out a decent handset isn't enough.
    HTC is a big meh. I would prefer ASUS over HTC any day but I guess it really depends on how well the two companies work together and to your second point that would be the case to for marketing. At this point anyway.
    08-09-12 03:34 PM
    What? all those reports were made up? Come on. Its only the 10th time samsung was gonna buy RIM.

Its great how theres no quote from samsung. Just like there was no real info on the news this morning.
    It's what people do to make a quick buck off the stock

But seriously, if Samsung were to license BB10, you wouldn't hear about it now anyways. This is the kind of stuff companies usually like to keep under wraps until the right time comes along. They may have already agreed on a licensing deal, we just may not know it yet. Conversely, nothing may happen at all. But I think either way, both companies would deny it at this point.

Just MY opinion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    I'm tired of hearing about it. Its the same story everytime nothing new or exciting.
    It's pump and dumps taking advantage of day traders.
    08-09-12 03:40 PM
    Give it a week, we will be back to the "MS is gonna buy RIM" rumors again and people will hop all over it like it's worth anything...
    08-09-12 04:04 PM
    RIM should partner up with.. Blackberry.

I'm sure BlackBerry is interested in licensing bb10 from RIM.
    9of13 likes this.
    08-09-12 05:47 PM
    Honestly, if a partnership/licensing agreement were in the works, do you think that the parties would admit to it? There is a lot of liability if you say something and it alters a stock price. Better say nothing!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-09-12 05:51 PM
    "Somebody told me
    That you had an OS
    That looked like an OS
    That I had in February of last year"

Gotta love rumors that repeat more times than South Park in syndication.
    What is this? The fourth time Sammy and RIM were suppose to have a deal of some kind?
    Who starts these rumors anyway?
    08-09-12 06:09 PM
    You know what kills me? Nobody mentioned amazons interest in rim last year. Not a peep before or till months after the fact. Not one media report..nothing.

With the share price racing up to 32 before the Oct earnings call you would think that Mike and Jim or someone at rim would have tried to stem the tied of negativity by saying they had some interest in the company. Makes me wonder why they wouldn't defend their company along with their shareholders.

I think these guys are sitting at a round table with mobile moguls planning whos turn it is to dominate the market. They probably have Elvis and the head of Kentucky Fried Chicken in on the whole deal.
    Last edited by abwan11; 08-09-12 at 07:14 PM.
    08-09-12 07:12 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD