I know BGR and RIM don't go well together but source is source

Research In Motion is currently weighing every single option it can think of in an effort to reverse a negative trend that is approaching a boiling point for investors. Reports that RIM is currently in talks to license its software to other vendors are accurate according to our trusted sources, though we have been told that RIM is most likely leaning toward an outright sale of one or more divisions, or even the whole company. The front runner, we have been told by a trusted source with knowledge of the situation, is Samsung, which might be interested in RIM for a number of reasons.

One of the biggest assets RIM has is BlackBerry Messenger, and it would be a smart way for Samsung to differentiate itself inside the Android ecosystem. HTC has its Sense suite and it recently bought into Beats by Dr. Dre. Samsung could buy RIM, or a part of the company, and integrate not only BBM but also several other enterprise features into Android to make its devices an even bigger threat to competitors. This could also help Samsung better differentiate itself on the software and OS level, pulling more control into its hands and away from Google.

We have heard that Jim Balsillie is actively meeting with almost every company that might be interested in either a part or all of RIM, in addition to having talks about licensing. �Jim is going hard after Samsung,� said a source with knowledge of the negotiations. One of the reasons no deal has been struck, however, is that RIM�s co-CEOs are asking for way too much.

We have heard the company is looking for more than $10 billion for a full sale, likely somewhere in the $12 billion to $15 billion range, or between approximately $22.90 and $28.60 per share. RIM�s market capitalization currently sits at about $8.5 billion, though several analysts think that even $8.5 billion is more than an interested party would consider bidding at the moment.

We�ve reached out to Research In Motion and Samsung, though neither company immediately responded to a request for comment. It�s certainly an interesting time at Research In Motion, and we�ll have much more on RIM in the coming days.

As seen on:Research In Motion pushing for sale to Samsung
    01-17-12 10:11 AM
    Research In Motion pushing for sale to Samsung

I hope this is just another lie from BGR. Samsung is crap.
    01-17-12 10:12 AM
    At least its good for the stock price.
    01-17-12 10:21 AM
    That makes no sense....after a clearly successful stint at CES, the paybook is finally generating some interest in the blogosphere. So why choose this time to sell your company to the competition?

Maybe one of you fancy MBa's can explain the business sense in that, as im nothing but a humble engineer....what would be the point in putting so much work into os2.0 and bb10 only to sell it to samsung, who i imagine, are going to continue with android anyway?

I dunno, it'll take a little more then a "source" to convince me.....but its just so nonsensical, it might just be true :s.
    01-17-12 10:23 AM
    If Jim Balsillie is the acting CMO...and is trying to meet with anyone that bites...he's just as bad as all the analysts that have been tearing RIM apart.

The only reason this would make sense is if the Co-CEOs are not confident in the future of RIM standing on it's own two feet.
    01-17-12 10:24 AM
    which would really make me question all thier investment in os2.0 and bb10. why bother if youre just gonna sell it all?
    01-17-12 10:25 AM
    Research In Motion pushing for sale to Samsung

I hope this is just another lie from BGR. Samsung is crap.

Wow, really? Since it's Gellar, I call BS unless he coughs up his "reliable source".
    01-17-12 10:29 AM
    That makes no sense....after a clearly successful stint at CES, the paybook is finally generating some interest in the blogosphere. So why choose this time to sell your company to the competition?

Maybe one of you fancy MBa's can explain the business sense in that, as im nothing but a humble engineer....what would be the point in putting so much work into os2.0 and bb10 only to sell it to samsung, who i imagine, are going to continue with android anyway?

I dunno, it'll take a little more then a "source" to convince me.....but its just so nonsensical, it might just be true :s.
    Of course it also doesn't make business sense to lose money like Microsoft as you try to enter a new market when you clearly lack Microsoft's assets, so I'm not sure the "it doesn't make business sense" standard is applicable here. As for Samsung and Android, Samsung sees the writing on the wall, and would much prefer to sell their own devices without paying Microsoft's Android licensing fee. The only way to do that is to move away from Android.
    Last edited by Economist101; 01-17-12 at 10:38 AM.
    01-17-12 10:34 AM
    Wow, really? Since it's Gellar, I call BS unless he coughs up his "reliable source".
    wow really what? This was my thread originally.

Gellar posts stuff that will get views. It makes sense, I am just saying I hope this isn't true.
    01-17-12 10:37 AM
    Seems like every other week some new company is "rumored" to be interested in buying RIM. I don't believe any of it at this point.
    01-17-12 10:42 AM
    Seems like every other week some new company is "rumored" to be interested in buying RIM. I don't believe any of it at this point.
    Next week Apple lol
    01-17-12 10:48 AM
    damn, id to see RIM gone and sold to the competition. i would really love to see hem continue their momentum theyve created with showing OS2 for the Playbook...at the same time, a super amoled+ Berry would be nice

still want to see RIM do it on their own
    01-17-12 10:50 AM
    which would really make me question all thier investment in os2.0 and bb10. why bother if youre just gonna sell it all?
    Because you need something to sell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-17-12 10:51 AM
    wow really what? This was my thread originally.

Gellar posts stuff that will get views. It makes sense, I am just saying I hope this isn't true.

I posted this that in yours, actually.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 01-17-12 at 10:56 AM.
    01-17-12 10:52 AM
    "Reports that RIM is currently in talks tolicense its software to other vendorsare accurate according to our trusted sources, though we have been told that RIM is most likely leaning toward an outright sale of one or more divisions, or even the whole company"

So they are licensing software? or selling a division? or a few divisions? or the whole company?

Oh please! Sounds like BS to me.
    If this information were to hold any merit wouldn't Kevin catch wind of this through his own sources? Who is BGR? I mean, what kind of source could they have in RIM that would not have went to Crackberry Kevin first?
    01-17-12 10:54 AM
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/11519534.cms

Samsung plans $ 41 billion tech investment in 2012 - click the above link
    01-17-12 10:54 AM
    this sucks..... RIM should start by licensing OS2/BB10 to 3-4 top asian hardware makers and reignite smartphone sales.... and keep control of its own destiny...
    01-17-12 10:59 AM
    Samsung makes top quality devices right? So why is it a bad thing to have BB OS on top quality hardware?? This sounds like what alot of current BB owners have been crying for, which is better hardware....

I think it could be a real turning point for RIM. Somebody chime in and list the negative points here.

Ooooh this is exciting...
    01-17-12 11:16 AM
    The only reason this would make sense is if the Co-CEOs are not confident in the future of RIM standing on it's own two feet.
    If that was the case, they would have sold it with the Amazon rumor and got more value for the sale.
    graxyq likes this.
    01-17-12 11:19 AM
    ....and why this is in the rumors sub-forum. Next!
    01-17-12 11:23 AM

Or it could be that they would rather sell instead of being forced to step down as CEOs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-17-12 11:26 AM
    If that was the case, they would have sold it with the Amazon rumor and got more value for the sale.
    This argument assumes that Amazon and Samsung value RIM similarly, a claim I find suspect.
    01-17-12 11:26 AM
    My guess is that this rumour is flawed... what may actually be happening is that RIM is in talks with Samsung for licensing QNX OS on Samsung devices. A "partnership" per say could be in the works, similar to the partnership Samsung has with Google. Samsung may want to use two different OS' in order to reach a broader market.

QNX for more entreprise customers
    Google/Android for the average consumer

Just my 2 cents.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-17-12 11:49 AM
    Slippery Johnny over at BGR just bought a tonne of stock and wants to pump it....You know his "credible source", brown bagging a bottle of "Hooch" told'em so

John at BGR- "I'm headn' to the liquor store for you....I've got questions!

"credible source"-Hurry up...I'm thirsty!

John at BGR- I got you a 40 of JD!

”credible source"-what do you wanna know?

The "credible source", between his time chasing pink elephants and tella-taling RIM stories makes for some interesting forum reads
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 01-17-12 at 11:58 AM.
    visceralberry likes this.
    01-17-12 11:51 AM

Although this particular 'rumor' doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, I've seen something similar first-hand. I was part of a smaller private company that had a national presence in its industry and was courting several potential buyers. As an agreement was made and details of the acquisition were being nailed down, the company spent virtually all of that year's profits finishing up a new and unique technology that would have given it a strong leadership position in the market. What most of the employees did not know was that the deal had already been made, and delivering that technology was a big part of the terms. It also cost everyone (other than senior management) several thousand dollars each in profit sharing bonuses. Ironically, the ones who got hit the hardest were the very people who worked tirelessly to deliver the technology that made the deal possible that ultimately cost them the bulk of their bonuses. And yes, there were many departures following that announcement.

But I still think bgr is full of crap on this one.
    01-17-12 11:59 AM
129 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD