Report claims that Samsung is considering moving all of its devices to Tizen | 9to5Google

According to a report today from Korean publication Korea Times, Samsung, the company that recently regained the top spot from Apple as number one smartphone OEM in the US, is considering moving all of its devices to its own Tizen operating system. This news follows a report from Fast Company last month suggesting a related move � that the company plans to move away from Android Wear for future smartwatches�

[...]
    anon(9878325) likes this.
    06-14-16 04:21 PM
    that means it is a great thing that BlackBerry has 2 proprietary platforms in use right now, as we speak, as i type this - believe it or not, QNX / BlackBerry 10 are hugely valuable assets

so, because BlackBerry has already created 2 completely proprietary systems that run on their secure global network simultaneously along with their version of android, BlackBerry is very well positioned to "do it all" if need be

it might seem like a huge struggle right now, with BlackBerry 10 being in what is referred to as "maintenance mode", but BlackBerry already built their own OS's and they're in use daily - meaning, BlackBerry already has valuable assets in place should android become viewed by consumers as the novelty it really is (fact still remains, it's google's stuff)

so, at the end of the day, with a little method to their madness, BlackBerry is technically way ahead of the game when it comes to having a cutting edge, uniquely built, QNX based, real time, and proprietary operating system that runs BlackBerry 10 native apps as well as android apps
    06-14-16 04:44 PM
    obviously, samsung took complete advantage of android to bolster their market share and now they view android as a hassle more than a benefit - this positions BlackBerry as a solid player because they have always had their own OS and all samsung has done is solidify that BlackBerry 10 is actually valuable - even though it's not tizen

BlackBerry has just become a more valuable company on it's own or as a possible purchase
    deadcowboy likes this.
    06-14-16 04:50 PM
    I can imagine that any manufacturer would get sick of having to jump through hoops for Google.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    06-14-16 05:04 PM
    BlackBerry already has valuable assets in place should android become viewed by consumers as the novelty it really is (fact still remains, it's google's stuff)
    Novelty?? I guess that word now means "runaway success" in today's slang.
    06-14-16 05:14 PM
    Samsung should adopt BlackBerry 10. That would be very good in my opinion. A good strategic partnership. The hardware would sell and app development for BlackBerry 10 would be brought back to life. BlackBerry should be picking up the phone immediately.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    06-14-16 05:14 PM
    Har, another OS without apps!

Tizen Central in 3 years: 150 different threads begging samsung for an updated runtime. Deja vu all over again...

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    HeyCori, skinnymike1 and JeepBB like this.
    06-14-16 05:16 PM
    No ecosystem?
    No apps?
    No sale.

*ME173X
    GadgetTravel, techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    06-14-16 05:37 PM
    Not a remote chance in you know where.

Priv STV100-1 AAF153 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    06-14-16 05:50 PM
    april fools day again already?
    06-14-16 06:31 PM
    Samsung has been trying to switch to Tizen for a while now. In fact, last I heard, their smartwatches are all switching to Tizen. And that's fine because the smartwatch ecosystem still has a lot of growth left, but there's little space left for another smartphone os.
    06-14-16 06:54 PM
    The minute Samsung does that they're finished and they know it.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    06-14-16 07:12 PM
    The puffers that be won't allow it... :-D

Samsung ready to throw in the towel on Android?-mockit_04062016193958.jpg

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-14-16 07:13 PM
    While there's no doubt that Samsung would much prefer to be using an OS that they have more direct control over, the lessons of BB, WinPhone, WebOS and others will have taught them that without an ecosystem, customers won't buy. Well, let me correct that: many will buy, at first, but many will also return their phones and buy something else when they realize that they can't use their apps and services.

That's the other thing: if Samsung switched to Tizen, consumers have plenty of other Android manufacturers to choose from, so it would mostly hurt Samsung and boost LG, HTC, Motorola, and others.

Is Samsung that dumb? I doubt it, but I've been wrong about that kind of thing before. Hell, I thought BB would be smart enough to have adopted Android back in 2009, and look how that turned out.

But if you imagine that any of this is in some way a positive for BB10, you are delusional.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-14-16 08:40 PM
    Doesn't make any sense IMO. They've built an ecosystem around Android. Ditching Android means forcing customers to choose between them and Google. Google wins.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    06-14-16 09:35 PM
    While there's no doubt that Samsung would much prefer to be using an OS that they have more direct control over, the lessons of BB, WinPhone, WebOS and others will have taught them that without an ecosystem, customers won't buy. Well, let me correct that: many will buy, at first, but many will also return their phones and buy something else when they realize that they can't use their apps and services.

That's the other thing: if Samsung switched to Tizen, consumers have plenty of other Android manufacturers to choose from, so it would mostly hurt Samsung and boost LG, HTC, Motorola, and others.

Is Samsung that dumb? I doubt it, but I've been wrong about that kind of thing before. Hell, I thought BB would be smart enough to have adopted Android back in 2009, and look how that turned out.

But if you imagine that any of this is in some way a positive for BB10, you are delusional.
    It would be the same as now. NO ONE wants a BlackBerry with "The Google".

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876) #ILoveBB10Apps #ILoveBB10 #LoveHelloGames #NoMansSky
    06-15-16 03:24 AM
    that means it is a great thing that BlackBerry has 2 proprietary platforms in use right now, as we speak, as i type this - believe it or not, QNX / BlackBerry 10 are hugely valuable assets

so, because BlackBerry has already created 2 completely proprietary systems that run on their secure global network simultaneously along with their version of android, BlackBerry is very well positioned to "do it all" if need be

it might seem like a huge struggle right now, with BlackBerry 10 being in what is referred to as "maintenance mode", but BlackBerry already built their own OS's and they're in use daily - meaning, BlackBerry already has valuable assets in place should android become viewed by consumers as the novelty it really is (fact still remains, it's google's stuff)

so, at the end of the day, with a little method to their madness, BlackBerry is technically way ahead of the game when it comes to having a cutting edge, uniquely built, QNX based, real time, and proprietary operating system that runs BlackBerry 10 native apps as well as android apps
    Except in any sense that results in profit rather than billions in write-downs. BB10 has never made a cent of profit.
    StephanieMaks and JeepBB like this.
    06-15-16 05:56 AM
    It would be the same as now. NO ONE wants a BlackBerry with "The Google".
    That's because BB has systematically destroyed its own reputation and brand image in the market - and don't have the money to market a differing viewpoint. In 2009, BB was worth tens of billions, and still had a positive brand image. Things could have been much different if they'd been able to sell phones with a full ecosystem back then, when people were raising their expectations about what a smartphone needed to be able to do (things that BBOS couldn't). Android would have saved BB billions of dollars in development, years of time, but most importantly, kept BB's brand image positive. It might not have put BB in Samsung's position, but they might be LG or Moto in marketshare, and profitable. BB shares might be worth $30-40 each.

Most BB fans would make that trade knowing what they know now - and many knew it then. Even Kevin wrote an article around that time talking about why BB should go Android. That's not to say that BB didn't make a pretty good OS with BB10 - they did. The problem was that they were way too far behind the curve and that the ecosystem soon mattered more than the OS, and BB was never in the position to build a competing ecosystem.
    06-15-16 11:16 AM
    That rumour comes and go every year apparently. Much like Car and Driver and Motor Trend takes turns to start a rumour about a mid-engined, all wheel drive Corvette.
    06-15-16 11:25 AM
    That rumour comes and go every year apparently. Much like Car and Driver and Motor Trend takes turns to start a rumour about a mid-engined, all wheel drive Corvette.
    You're taking me back to the late 80s... I used to have a cutaway poster of such a concept 'vette...
    Jrox74 and techvisor like this.
    06-15-16 11:43 AM
    You're taking me back to the late 80s... I used to have a cutaway poster of such a concept 'vette...
    I believe you are referring to the CERV.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-15-16 12:03 PM
    What this facepalm.gif rumor again? Samsung isn't touching it's smartphone cashcow for Tizen. There is too much risk and not much upside: 'so what you're telling me is, so we're going to stop being number 1# to try to be number 1# ?'. Smartwatches, TV, cameras and other Samsung appliances are fine to go Tizen since they only need a limited ecosystem.

HTC would throw a party, an inexpensive one, to celebrate Samsung going Tizen. It would give them some breathing room from the stifling Samsung Galaxy ad campaigns.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-15-16 12:09 PM
    It would be the same as now. NO ONE wants a BlackBerry.
    Fixed it for ya. This brand is damaged beyond repair.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    06-15-16 02:05 PM
    Several dozen Android OEMs would love for this rumor to be true....

That report said Samsung sold 64 Million phones in India last year, and Tizne only sold about 3 million units worldwide. Did Thor get a new job at Samsung?
    mornhavon and JeepBB like this.
    06-15-16 03:50 PM
    Several dozen Android OEMs would love for this rumor to be true....

That report said Samsung sold 64 Million phones in India last year, and Tizne only sold about 3 million units worldwide. Did Thor get a new job at Samsung?
    Nah, sounds more like Leo.

"We're a software company so we'll double down on Tizen."
    06-15-16 04:17 PM
51 123