Except in any sense that results in profit rather than billions in write-downs. BB10 has never made a cent of profit.
    that does not mean it is not a valuable asset (QNX and BlackBerry 10) if you quantify everything based on money, then yes, BlackBerry 10 failed to earn money - it is still hugely valuable to BlackBerry to have a modern OS they built themselves

eco-system? i am not talking about that. tizen also has no eco-system worth mentioning too

how much has samsung made on tizen? i have no idea

does it actually matter to us, at the bottom of the pyramid? probably not, but QNX and BlackBerry 10 remain alive and of value to BlackBerry
    06-15-16 04:26 PM
    no matter what anybody says, the fact remains true that BlackBerry built a modern OS that is still popular among many niche groups and that OS remains a tangible pile of code BlackBerry owns and has in their back pocket

everybody already knows that BlackBerry failed with BlackBerry 10 on several levels, but that does not change the simple fact they have this thing called BlackBerry 10 just sitting there, and it's actually still REALLY GOOD
    06-15-16 04:33 PM
    and guess what? there are still developers developing for BlackBerry 10 and it doesn't look like they're stopping that

as much as some of you might want to believe everything about BlackBerry and BlackBerry 10 is negative, it seems to me that everybody who is using and actively seeking out BlackBerry 10 devices all seem very happy with their choices
    adiguna80 likes this.
    06-15-16 04:37 PM
    just to be the devil's advocate, i think i might go and buy a brand new Z10 and pack up my Priv for a museum piece - just to prove to myself and others that BlackBerry 10 and the launch device are still completely usable LOL
    06-15-16 04:39 PM
    Sony wishes they had an alternative to droid OS too. More fasinating is being tracked by the Koreans instead of google. ooooooooooooooooooooooooo aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    06-15-16 08:44 PM
    One thing that I'm surprised has not happened would be some kind of advanced pairing of existing QNX systems (cars etc) with BlackBerry 10. Engine diagnostic apps etc.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-16-16 12:35 AM
    One thing that I'm surprised has not happened would be some kind of advanced pairing of existing QNX systems (cars etc) with BlackBerry 10. Engine diagnostic apps etc.

Becuase there is no point.... Most of the auto manufactures that use QNX, do so at the system level only... they don't use QNX as the user interface. And those auto manufactures are the ones that decided what QNX can and cannot do. Even if BlackBerry spent Millions to create some diagnostic tool, to allow BB10 and QNX to communicate directly... I doubt the auto manufactures would enable it.. And of the 8 million or so BB10 devices out there, how many are corporate? how many are owned by non car owner? How many would care?

So spend millions on a project that they have already pulled the plug one.... for what?
    techvisor and Avenzuno like this.
    06-16-16 07:18 AM
    Samsung may sell cheap Tizen based phones, but they will never switch from Android to Tizen on phones like Galaxy S and Notes.
    06-16-16 10:21 AM
    I posted the below last year in regards to Android OS. Smartphone manufacturers find themselves caught between a rock and Android. No money, no funny. Samsung must be wondering how to siphon off Google dollars.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1039017

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    06-16-16 11:01 AM
    I posted the below last year in regards to Android OS. Smartphone manufacturers find themselves caught between a rock and Android. No money, no funny. Samsung must be wondering how to siphon off Google dollars.

All is not well on planet Android - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    There is no argument about the view that manufacturers would like more profit and more control... basically to bypass Google. It's pretty well known that very few Android OEMs are making a lot of money. But sad thing is, they all helped to create the Android market the way it is...

Everyone wants what Apple has... to make money on hardware, and apps, content. A little here and a little there all adds up to a lot of profit for Apple.

I bet if Samsung weren't dedicated to using Tizen in other devices, they probably would give up on it in smartphones. Tizen owners are just like BB10 owners... "how do I get this app to work?" And while they have sold 3 million Tizen smartphones in markets where apps aren't as important, last couple of quarters sales have fallen - not grown as you would hope for a platform with a future.

So the idea that Samsung would give up Android for an all in gambit with Tizen... is laughable.
    Uzi likes this.
    06-16-16 01:16 PM
    I learned a lot over the last couple years and one thing sticks out - never say never

those who say "never" almost "always" end up where ever or doing whatever that "never" was or is

except in the post where i simply stated "never" to leaving BlackBerry for something else - that is one "never" i can still stand by

but, i am sure as life goes on, there will be a few more things i will do that i said "never" to before
    Last edited by blackberryroughrider; 06-17-16 at 04:40 PM.
    06-16-16 03:10 PM
    apple will implode

nothing lasts forever, especially things not sustainable
    06-16-16 03:19 PM
    "Samsung ready to throw in the towel on Android?"

Highly doubt it. Samsung has earned way too much money and has earned a very solid reputation in the Android world, so I don't think they'd ever make such a batsmit crazy move like that. That said, I wouldn't mind fiddling with a Tizen powered note if priced properly with a removable battery.
    06-16-16 03:27 PM
    android might implode

06-16-16 03:49 PM
    android might implode

Someday Windows and MacOS will be replaced by something... but MacOS has been with us for 32 years (in one form or another) and shows no sign of leaving soon, and Windows has been around for 25 years, and also is in no immediate danger of disappearing. So even though it's true that nothing lasts forever, it's just as true that the big OSs tend to evolve and stick around for a LONG time.

iOS and Android are the 2 survivors of the mobile platform wars, and as big as they are and as extensively developed as they are, it isn't going to be easy to displace them.
    06-16-16 04:39 PM
    Someday Windows and MacOS will be replaced by something... but MacOS has been with us for 32 years (in one form or another) and shows no sign of leaving soon, and Windows has been around for 25 years, and also is in no immediate danger of disappearing. So even though it's true that nothing lasts forever, it's just as true that the big OSs tend to evolve and stick around for a LONG time.

iOS and Android are the 2 survivors of the mobile platform wars, and as big as they are and as extensively developed as they are, it isn't going to be easy to displace them.
    ??? While I understand that MacOS has been around longer than Windows. It was a difference of less than a year. How do you come up with Windows being released 7 years later?
    anon(9878325) likes this.
    06-16-16 05:45 PM
    android might implode

While this may be true... in some situations it's not worth gambling on. There are many arguments as to why Linux Distros are superior to Windows and MacOS, but realistiaclly it's the ecosystem that kills Linux Distros. Nothing lasts forever, but dominant items can dictate the game.
    anon(9878325) likes this.
    06-16-16 05:56 PM
    ??? While I understand that MacOS has been around longer than Windows. It was a difference of less than a year. How do you come up with Windows being released 7 years later?
    I'm choosing not to count versions of Windows before 3.0, because previous versions were virtually worthless. Windows didn't become a viable product until 3.0., around 1991.
    06-17-16 12:01 AM
    The earliest Windows version that I've used was 3.11.

Man... I feel so old!

*A3-A20
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    06-17-16 12:23 AM

Man... I feel so old!

*A3-A20
    I had a Commodore Amiga. Upon release. Before that I had an Atari XE on release and the first computer I had was a Sinclair spectrum ZX 81. I feel old too.

06-17-16 12:41 AM
    at least we know BlackBerry does not seem be capable of implosion - as it would have already happened long ago if they were to go anywhere, nothing lasts forever - but i hold out hope for BlackBerry

even if they don't last (BlackBerry) - i will at least have several devices to place into a time capsule for future generations to dig up and enjoy (they'll look at the designs and think, "how could people have been so stupid as to let this company die?")

LOL
    06-17-16 04:43 PM

Man... I feel so old!
    For me it was Win 2.0 (both the 286 and the 386 versions, which were sold separately). So how do you think I feel? LOL.

But as I said - these were so bad and raw that they weren't really useful for anything. Word and Excel (for Windows) didn't get released until 3.0 was out, and that's when big apps started to appear for Windows - before that, all apps of importance on the PC platform were written for DOS.
    06-17-16 10:13 PM
    Curious what wil happen with Samsung. Will the masses except Tizen because it will have all the popular apps (or do developers need to make apps suitable for Tizen) or will it end up like bb?

Posted via CB10
    geek1212 likes this.
    06-19-16 08:14 AM
    Curious what wil happen with Samsung. Will the masses except Tizen because it will have all the popular apps (or do developers need to make apps suitable for Tizen) or will it end up like bb?

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't matter, won't happen.

I could definitely see some major apps building Tizen versions, Samsung is a majority device.

But there might be a few who say no, and even if Samsung builds a runtime with perfect compatibility, they still won't have google play services.

Another possibility, even more remote than using Tizen, is teaming up with Microsoft and Cyanogenmod.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    06-19-16 11:46 AM
    BlackBerry is technically way ahead of the game when it comes to having a cutting edge, uniquely built, QNX based, real time, and proprietary operating system that runs BlackBerry 10 native apps as well as android apps
    If you say so. BB10 will run Amazon Apps which are pretty crappy overall and the selection isn't all that much better than the Native BB10 App Store, given many of the Apps are not available for BB10.
    06-22-16 01:59 PM
51 123