Samsung has just announced an 8" tablet with S pen, IR, and phone capabilities. The PlayBook will now face a tablet with an optimized form factor and top notch hardware specs. The Note 8 is simply an all in one power user solution. Too bad it's running Android but hey nothing is perfect. Does BlackBerry have a response for this device? Let's hope so.
    toneytone likes this.
    02-24-13 08:01 PM
    Surely this will not be popular for "one device" people. No one will want to only carry around an 8" tablet all of the time. It will still mostly be a second device I imagine, despite phone capabilities. Not sure how holding an 8" up to your head would work with one hand. You would have to use bluetooth.
    jesse_h, s0be, kbz1960 and 5 others like this.
    02-24-13 08:05 PM
    Lol to be honest this is just a dumb move by Samsung... The device looks ugly and who would want to make a phone call using that thing???
    02-24-13 08:06 PM
    I think they said exactly the same thing about the Note and Note 2.
    02-24-13 08:08 PM
    02-24-13 08:09 PM
    Yes, Samsung did just unveil a 8" tablet.
    Except it is REALLY ugly.
    02-24-13 08:10 PM
    He noted in the review the US version will not have a SIM slot. Is this true?
    02-24-13 08:11 PM
    Surely this will not be popular for "one device" people. No one will want to only carry around an 8" tablet all of the time. It will still mostly be a second device I imagine, despite phone capabilities. Not sure how holding an 8" up to your head would work with one hand. You would have to use bluetooth.
    Paired with a headset and a Pebble watch this is very dreamy device. I carry my PlayBook around with me everywhere I go. This would be no different. A lot of other people carry their tablets with them all the time as well. This has become a norm.
    brianatbb likes this.
    02-24-13 08:12 PM
    The US version is supposedly WiFi only.
    02-24-13 08:15 PM
    Yes they're still building the LTE version The official statement says it is a global 3G version though so the details are still up in the air.
    02-24-13 08:15 PM
    Paired with a headset and a Pebble watch this is very dreamy device. I carry my PlayBook around with me everywhere I go. This would be no different. A lot of other people carry their tablets with them all the time as well. This has become a norm.
    It has become more common to carry around a tablet, yes. I understand you carry your LTE playbook around. But a woman going out for a night on the town in a dress with a clutch purse. Suddenly she cannot even bring her telephone with her? Some guy just walking around a mall without a bag, going to shove this thing in their pocket as a phone? Going to carry it around in hand? No. These are times when you take your mobile in to where you are going, and leave the tablet in the car. Going to a concert, going to drag this in? Going for brunch, bring it in and set it on the table as an additional plate? Etc, etc.

Even the Note 2's size addresses problems that this tablet/phone does not. I think the Note 2 is as large as MOST (not all, as with everything) are willing to go if they only have one device.
    02-24-13 08:19 PM
    Yes, Samsung did just unveil a 8" tablet.
    Except it is REALLY ugly.
    They don't want to get sued again now do they.
    02-24-13 08:21 PM
    It has become more common to carry around a tablet, yes. I understand you carry your LTE playbook around. But a woman going out for a night on the town in a dress with a clutch purse. Suddenly she cannot even bring her telephone with her? Some guy just walking around a mall without a bag, going to shove this thing in their pocket as a phone? Going to carry it around in hand? No. These are times when you take your mobile in to where you are going, and leave the tablet in the car. Going to a concert, going to drag this in? Going for brunch, bring it in and set it on the table as an additional plate? Etc, etc.

Even the Note 2's size addresses problems that this tablet/phone does not. I think the Note 2 is as large as MOST (not all, as with everything) are willing to go if they only have one device.
    Oh I agree there will be touchy situations but it can no doubt be a very capable daily driver for a lot of people.

Your brunch comment makes me laugh because that is exactly what I do on Pre Game Sundays.
    02-24-13 08:26 PM
    Prediction: DOA
    02-24-13 08:33 PM
    02-24-13 08:35 PM
    Prediction: DOA
    I predicted that the Surface wasn't a threat and it wasn't.
    I predicted that the Mini was a problem and it was.
    I think this is the even a bigger threat to the PlayBook than the Mini is.
    02-24-13 08:42 PM
    In this day and age people will buy and try anything just to be noticed; no matter the size...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-24-13 08:56 PM
    This not a threat the PB. The PB is a 2 year old device and was/is a failure. Outdated hardware make a full BB10 migration impossible, so not even that can help it. BBRY needs to get their phone business sorted out first, then revisit the tablet business later with a new and improved product that can compete with the likes of Apple and Samsung.
    02-24-13 09:00 PM
    OMG...it is Note 2... but fatter :-)
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    02-24-13 09:44 PM
    Yeah ima gonna hold that to my head... To make phone calls... Jk well I won't but components. Samsung has been killing it for a while. They won't die because they made a name for themselves and they are the new Sony. But blackberry still can pull it off

Lol I forgot to add, so there's the galaxy note 2 and then it jumps to the the note 8??? Dumb. They should have named it galaxy note tab epic 4g phone tablet phablet McGee McAllister fauxG
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-24-13 11:33 PM
    I think they said exactly the same thing about the Note and Note 2.
    I don't think too many here will be willing to admit that. It's easier to device it outright.

Having said that, it is, uh, interesting...
    02-24-13 11:37 PM
    How does samsung push out products and new features so quickly because I really can not understand. Anyway the note 8 will sell but will not become mainstream. I don't see the reason for the stylus but some people love it.
    02-24-13 11:52 PM
    How does samsung push out products and new features so quickly because I really can not understand. Anyway the note 8 will sell but will not become mainstream. I don't see the reason for the stylus but some people love it.
    Lots of money. I think Sammy has also learned to strike when hot, because consumers are fickle
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-25-13 12:00 AM
    it has a slight chance as far it is priced below $330 (ipad mini cost) and anything above it will be doomed.
    02-25-13 12:51 AM
    Cash and the fact that it owns the supply chain.
    02-25-13 02:20 AM
107 123 ...