It looks like the tech giant is having problems. This is probably mainly due to the smartphone market becoming as competitive as never before.

Samsung Posts Profit Decline Amid Battle With Apple - Bloomberg
    01-06-14 10:58 PM
    The blessing and curse of using Android. Don't know if Tizen is still in their future plans, but this is likely what they were trying to avoid (i.e. the Chinese manufacturers producing cheap phones to undercut their low-tier devices).

A shame, but Samsung is still making a lot of money. Perhaps it's an indication of a bigger issue for them, which in my opinion would be consumers realizing that a lot of their marketed features aren't readily used by Galaxy users.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 11:04 PM
    its just saturation for the industry as a whole i think
    01-06-14 11:05 PM
    This had to happen.. to "Shame"sung
    01-06-14 11:07 PM
    its just saturation for the industry as a whole i think
    Yep, I think the era of $700 smartphones is coming to an end. At least I hope smartphones are becoming more of a staple product.
    01-06-14 11:10 PM
    What goes up must come down

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 11:16 PM
    At the same time, HTC posted a positive profit quarter. Granted the profit wasn't extraordinary, but it was their first profit in a while. IMHO, this is a good thing. It means Samsung is no longer siphoning all the Android profits. It'll be interesting to see how the other Android OEMs finish their next quarters.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    01-06-14 11:25 PM
    Putting knox on to stop me from playing with a toy that I fully paid for? That's expected!

Sent from whatever device I got my hands on via Tapatalk
    01-06-14 11:32 PM
    ..and what go's down.. comes up again! BlackBerry - Your time now!
    RedFoxOne likes this.
    01-06-14 11:57 PM
    At the same time, HTC posted a positive profit quarter. Granted the profit wasn't extraordinary, but it was their first profit in a while. IMHO, this is a good thing. It means Samsung is no longer siphoning all the Android profits. It'll be interesting to see how the other Android OEMs finish their next quarters.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    HTC only had profit because they sold their stake in Beats back to Beats for $85M, bringing their profit to $10.4M
    Nice thing to do imo
    Chinese manufacturers like Xiaomi and ZTE are quickly rising among the Android manufacturers with their high end but still cheap to buy phones. Slowly rising to the top

Posted via CB10
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    01-06-14 11:58 PM
    I'm starting to think BlackBerry and HTC should merge. One company that excels at hardware along with one that excels at software. Under Mr Chen's leadership they could do great things together.

It's been said before but the idea lacked merit under the previous management.
    01-07-14 12:32 AM
    From the article:
    “There’s still a lot of upside ahead,” Mark C. Newman, a Hong Kong-based analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein, told Bloomberg Television. “Samsung’s the [sic] actually only company in the world that is actually making money on low-end smartphones right now.”
    I am not entirely sure what he means by his first comment (room for Samsung to grow?) but the second comment is not correct, I believe. Xiomei (sp?) and Huawei, etc.are by all accounts doing well, not to mention all the various small OEMs. Likely he means companies whose earnings are known but the wording is a little sloppy.

It would be quite troubling if true, in any case.
    01-07-14 12:33 AM
    Why a shame? I think Samsung phones are pretty good with latest technology though built using plastic they are durable.

The blessing and curse of using Android. Don't know if Tizen is still in their future plans, but this is likely what they were trying to avoid (i.e. the Chinese manufacturers producing cheap phones to undercut their low-tier devices).

A shame, but Samsung is still making a lot of money. Perhaps it's an indication of a bigger issue for them, which in my opinion would be consumers realizing that a lot of their marketed features aren't readily used by Galaxy users.

Posted via CB10
    MERCDROID and 21stNow like this.
    01-07-14 01:14 AM
    I'm starting to think BlackBerry and HTC should merge. One company that excels at hardware along with one that excels at software. Under Mr Chen's leadership they could do great things together.

Please don't get my hopes up. I'm already so overwhelmed by the potential of bb10 and other BlackBerry ventures.
    01-07-14 01:38 AM
    Those who think Samsung struggling is a positive for Blackberry are shortsighted. Samsung's mediocre performance indicates weakness in the industry/sector. The result is an even more competitive environment for Blackberry where it will be striving to win barebones profits from consumers. There is also greater risk of consolidation in the market and this will spell trouble for alternative smartphone products like Blackberry or Windows Phone.
    01-07-14 02:30 AM
    Those who think Samsung struggling is a positive for Blackberry are shortsighted. Samsung's mediocre performance indicates weakness in the industry/sector. The result is an even more competitive environment for Blackberry where it will be striving to win barebones profits from consumers. There is also greater risk of consolidation in the market and this will spell trouble for alternative smartphone products like Blackberry or Windows Phone.
    I am more inclined to believe that their high margin high profit low end phone sectors have been eaten away by the offerings from Chinese based competitors, now that they are offering better bang for buck Android devices with around the same money you pay for a low end or mid end smartphones.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-07-14 03:25 AM
    Yep, I think the era of $700 smartphones is coming to an end. At least I hope smartphones are becoming more of a staple product.
    Right. Just like the era of $2000 laptops came to an end quite a while ago. $500 machines have become a staple. Some manufacturers are now struggling, look at Dell. PC market got more competitive, and partly replaced with other tech, like tablets and the phones we are discussing right now.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    01-07-14 04:17 AM
    I'm sure 95% of smartphone manufacturers would want Samsung's problems
    01-07-14 04:56 AM
    I'm sure 95% of smartphone manufacturers would want Samsung's problems
    --
    I doubt that

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 06:29 AM
    It's called saturation. The only thing Samsung can do now is build bigger/better versions of the stuff they have now until something completely new comes out. A must have, the smart watch wasn't it.
    irweezyy likes this.
    01-07-14 06:49 AM

I would absolutely love this.
    ATMJOE and MERCDROID like this.
    01-07-14 07:20 AM
    Wow, instead of making 878 billion in profit, it declined to 796 billion!

Poor poor samsung! Time to bring Heins and Alicia in to right the ship. :lol:
    Nharzhool, ihys, cwalt2166 and 5 others like this.
    01-07-14 07:38 AM
    I am more inclined to believe that their high margin high profit low end phone sectors have been eaten away by the offerings from Chinese based competitors, now that they are offering better bang for buck Android devices with around the same money you pay for a low end or mid end smartphones.
    Yes and these are the same phones that are killing BlackBerry in the emerging markets. This in no way is positive for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 07:43 AM
    The only thing Samsung can do now is build bigger/better versions of the stuff they have now until something completely new comes out. A must have, the smart watch wasn't it.
    Give it time. The iPhone wasn't a must have as soon as it was released.
    01-07-14 09:00 AM
    Wow, instead of making 878 billion in profit, it declined to 796 billion!

Poor poor samsung! Time to bring Heins and Alicia in to right the ship. :lol:
    Pray tell, what was the handset / mobile division's contribution to the profits for the 2 years again?
    wincyUt likes this.
    01-07-14 09:14 AM
59 123