According to P.Misek, an analyst with Jefferies & Co:

RIM fully intends to double down on BlackBerry 10. �Our checks indicate RIM is likely to move away from a proposal to the Board that RIM license BB10 to Samsung and launch a new BBM, email, and social networking app for iOS/Android for a monthly fee,� Misek wrote in a Febuary research note. The new plan, he added, will center on RIM competing against �Apple, Android and Windows ecosystems with their own integrated hardware/software/services ecosystem.�

BlackBerry Sales Softening Worldwide: Analyst - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

At this point, I wonder why RIM would not seek both options. A partner in making some new hardware would really help spread BBX devices - maybe Samsung sticks to the full screen devices, as the do them well.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    03-04-12 10:48 AM
    Not sure how many would be willing to pay a monthly fee for those things when they all already have similar apps. I know I wouldn't pay a monthly fee to use them.
    03-04-12 10:51 AM
    I see a disturbing trend with RIM... Everything they do to try to gain market share either has to do with giving products away or piggybacking off of Android. They need to come up with something within RIM that makes people want to use THEIR product.

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using Tapatalk
    VanCity778 likes this.
    03-04-12 10:54 AM
    I see a disturbing trend with RIM... Everything they do to try to gain market share either has to do with giving products away or piggybacking off of Android. They need to come up with something within RIM that makes people want to use THEIR product.

I think you misread the OP's post, they are moving away from such options and focusing on their own integrated hardware/software ecosystem.
    03-04-12 11:09 AM

Well they have to tap into something so there is at least access to an outside ecosystem. I still find that a problem with each major OS. Sure facetime, ios messaging (or whatever it is called), BBM, and whatever android uses (I'm sure someone will jump in and tell us) are great but your still stuck to which phone you and your contacts use.

Personally I like BBM but would love to use it even if my friend has an iphone. As mentioned around these forums BBM with access to Skype's network would be huge and IMO a gamechanger that people talk about. Also I believe the all the major OS's should be moving in this direction.
    03-04-12 11:11 AM

For the orginal post.....I have been reading all this nonsense for the last six month.... Anylists for all these different financial instituation has nothing better to do and speculate about what RIM is going to do ... this affect stock price and guess what money is made..... For a while RIM was going to be talken over by a number of suitors... after a couple of weeks RIM actually came out and officially said they had not nor were they in negotiations with anyone....

As for piggybacking off Andoid.... Funny I thought Playbook ran on QNX not Andoid OS.... Contray to media I think there is more than enough Apps on the curent platform... Sure some of the "wants" Netflix Slype on the current not avialable....If what is not available defines your user experience then buy an Apple or an Andorid...... I get tired of 100,000 of apps... really.... glad people have time to sift through that many..... I for one at most would need maybo 100 on my 64 gig Playbook....

RIM has purposely not differentiated between native an Android apps...If the tablet rums the software.. who cares if it is native or Android...... A smart maketing move RIM;s part... Where I agree and your post makes the point.....is does not matter what RIM does... it is not right or good enough.... They are critisized for not dealing well with app developers so they decide to change things and sweeten the pot... that now is somthing wrong.. I guess in you world RIM can do no right.....

IN the final analysis ... If BB10 is as good as they claim... why license it... you are just ginvng away market share....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 03-04-12 at 11:32 AM.
    03-04-12 11:28 AM
    Not sure how many would be willing to pay a monthly fee for those things when they all already have similar apps. I know I wouldn't pay a monthly fee to use them.
    But we're already paying extra for BIS. Which allows us to use BBM without putting a dent in our monthly data allocation. If that could be extended to other platforms, they'd gain the same benefit and RIM would gain additional finances. Not everyone has an unlimited data plan. In some parts of the world, that's still measured in megabytes instead of gigabytes. And others would be very happy to go to a less expensive data plan by having something like BBM/BIS. Which would also allow others to cut or eliminate their need for sms plans.
    03-04-12 12:51 PM
    I think RIM has all the right ingredients to succeed on its own

Bringing android apps to App World is kind of like the idea of html5 apps where it works on any html5 browser (i.e. Who cares if it's android, the pb is still QNX)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-04-12 12:53 PM
    But we're already paying extra for BIS. Which allows us to use BBM without putting a dent in our monthly data allocation. If that could be extended to other platforms, they'd gain the same benefit and RIM would gain additional finances. Not everyone has an unlimited data plan. In some parts of the world, that's still measured in megabytes instead of gigabytes. And others would be very happy to go to a less expensive data plan by having something like BBM/BIS. Which would also allow others to cut or eliminate their need for sms plans.
    I don't know about you but I pay the same I would pay if I had an iphone or an android.
    03-04-12 01:04 PM
    There is no way I would pay extra for those services on top of my data plan. If I really wanted them I would just use my BB10 devices when I get it.
    03-04-12 01:07 PM
    Rim is fine the way they are, they aren't going to get bought and sold out, BBM is not going to another platform, RIM did say they have no intensions to partner with samsung yet either. These analists need to just forget it. We know what is happening, just one person's view isn't going to change RIM. Thorstin even knows. Sorry if I misspelled a few words.

Let RIM be.
    03-04-12 02:21 PM
    Rim is fine the way they are, they aren't going to get bought and sold out, BBM is not going to another platform, RIM did say they have no intensions to partner with samsung yet either. These analists need to just forget it. We know what is happening, just one person's view isn't going to change RIM. Thorstin even knows. Sorry if I misspelled a few words.

Let RIM be.
    RIM shouldn't be left alone. That's what got them into trouble.

Since everyone does not want BBM on another platform how about rim do the opposite make BBM more like whatsapp or im+ make msn, yahoo messenger, etc have all the IM apps go though bbm.
    03-04-12 02:27 PM
    RIM shouldn't be left alone. That's what got them into trouble.

Since everyone does not want BBM on another platform how about rim do the opposite make BBM more like whatsapp or im+ make msn, yahoo messenger, etc have all the IM apps go though bbm.
    Think of the API's they'd have to integrate. AOL has their own app now, pretty soon windows live MSN messenger will and then yahoo. All depends if they actually do so. But I see your point. BBM should keep it's exclusiveness to blackberry only.
    03-04-12 02:31 PM
    Nice thread.

I guess it all depends what Google plans on doing, If they go forward with Android on Motorola phones only, i guess Samsung will have to find another partner. A Samsung/RIM partnership could be a home run for bother parties. Who knows what the future holds at this point.
    03-04-12 02:32 PM
    @VanCity778 the future is what each company holds as it's own when it does go through those phases or steps. Nobody can predict it.
    03-04-12 02:35 PM
    I am pleased to hear this!

The only way RIM is going to be win is to let RIM be RIM without another company. And who would pay for BBM on another platform of when whatsapp is free?
    03-04-12 02:35 PM
    I am pleased to hear this!

The only way RIM is going to be win is to let RIM be RIM without another company. And who would pay for BBM on another platform of when whatsapp is free?
    Exactly. Research in Motion is great the way they are.
    03-04-12 02:37 PM
    Think of the API's they'd have to integrate. AOL has their own app now, pretty soon windows live MSN messenger will and then yahoo. All depends if they actually do so. But I see your point. BBM should keep it's exclusiveness to blackberry only.
    True but I would assume that rim has access to them because they write the apps now, except for aol. I would love to see rim take bbm to the next level think about all those going through bbm maybe even be able to do bbm groups with them.

By the way I'm bored on a sunday so I might just be throwing out ideas.
    03-04-12 02:43 PM
    I actually would love to have the option of BBM on my Skyrocket. It would be so convenient.
    03-05-12 07:19 AM
    For the orginal post.....I have been reading all this nonsense for the last six month.... Anylists for all these different financial instituation has nothing better to do and speculate about what RIM is going to do ...
    It's not that they have nothing better to do, it's that their job is to speculate about what RIM is going to do.

I get tired of 100,000 of apps... really.... glad people have time to sift through that many..... I for one at most would need maybo 100 on my 64 gig Playbook....
    The goal is to provide each user the selection that fits them, and the larger the selection, the better chance of meeting a user's needs.
    Last edited by Economist101; 03-05-12 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Typo
    03-05-12 08:04 AM
    The goal is to provide each user the selection that fits them, and the larger the selection, the better chance of meeting a user's needs.
    Variety is beneficial, but I wonder if the size of the Android and iOS app markets hasn't gotten to the point of being counterproductive. Both for the developer and user. If a user has, for example, 50 or 100 PIM apps to choose from, it takes a lot more time to figure out which is good and which isn't and which might have the desired feature set. So, more wasted time figuring out how to get the app to save them time doing what the app does.

For the developer, the more apps like his, the smaller his piece of the pie. Which makes very large app markets a lose-lose instead of a win-win.

The only good part of huge app markets is that they're based on the fact that there's a large user base. So, the likelihood that niche market apps become more profitable for the developer gets those in the market, too. And the user can benefit from the specialized programming.
    fanatical likes this.
    03-05-12 09:14 AM
    Variety is beneficial, but I wonder if the size of the Android and iOS app markets hasn't gotten to the point of being counterproductive. Both for the developer and user. If a user has, for example, 50 or 100 PIM apps to choose from, it takes a lot more time to figure out which is good and which isn't and which might have the desired feature set. So, more wasted time figuring out how to get the app to save them time doing what the app does.

For the developer, the more apps like his, the smaller his piece of the pie. Which makes very large app markets a lose-lose instead of a win-win.

The only good part of huge app markets is that they're based on the fact that there's a large user base. So, the likelihood that niche market apps become more profitable for the developer gets those in the market, too. And the user can benefit from the specialized programming.
    There are definite drawbacks to a large selection, some of which you listed. Does the number of apps in these stores both help and hurt developers? Sure it does. But so far, having fewer apps has been more of a problem than having too many.
    03-05-12 09:28 AM
    There are definite drawbacks to a large selection, some of which you listed. Does the number of apps in these stores both help and hurt developers? Sure it does. But so far, having fewer apps has been more of a problem than having too many.
    This is the same argument that applies to books and music.

Would you rather shop at a bookstore that carries just a few books or one that carries a huge selection?
    Gouk likes this.
    03-05-12 10:03 AM
    I actually would love to have the option of BBM on my Skyrocket. It would be so convenient.
    But would you be willing to pay $5-8 more a month to get it? I think BBM is nice, but for many people they just text and they already have unlimited texts per month so paying more for something they don't think they need or want isn't a winning game plan and that is what RIMM seems to be planning to do???
    03-05-12 10:35 AM
    But would you be willing to pay $5-8 more a month to get it? I think BBM is nice, but for many people they just text and they already have unlimited texts per month so paying more for something they don't think they need or want isn't a winning game plan and that is what RIMM seems to be planning to do???
    But carriers do that, anyway. At least in the US. My monthly jumped up to cover BIS/BBM. If I switched to an Android device (I'm drooling over the Galaxy Note.) that could do BBM, it wouldn't be higher for either Qbnkelt or any of the rest of us BB owners.
    03-05-12 10:42 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD