Secure android. Bahahaha. That's very funny. Remember kids, Google makes money selling your information. Apple makes money selling thier phones. Blackberry doesn't make money doing either.

It's true that Google doesn't steal your information when you install an android app but that's only because you give them all the permission they need.

Secure android! You guys crack me up
    Confusing security and privacy maybe?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, TgeekB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    04-15-16 11:30 PM
    So S6 / S7 have never been rooted?

Priv hasn't, afaik... ;-P

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    I don't believe the S7 has been rooted, not all variants. Exynos has a root I think. Snapdragon was a no go. At least it wasn't a couple of weeks back and there were some serious issues with the potential of it being rooted, ever.

http://www.xda-developers.com/galaxy...osp-after-all/
    04-15-16 11:51 PM
    Confusing security and privacy maybe?

Posted via CB10
    How secure is my security, if Google transmits and "backs up" my WiFi key...?

Security and privacy are interlinked, to a degree that needs to be determined case-by-case... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-17-16 03:44 PM
    How secure is my security, if Google transmits and "backs up" my WiFi key...?

Security and privacy are interlinked, to a degree that needs to be determined case-by-case... :-)

You're as secure as your mind allows you to be. If you are constantly looking for the boogie man, he will always be right there.
    JeepBB and cribble2k like this.
    04-17-16 04:06 PM
    You're as secure as your mind allows you to be. If you are constantly looking for the boogie man, he will always be right there.
    Delusional!

The realities of digital theft demand constant vigilance.

And even then, you can still be blindsided to which most of your peers will be unsympathetic with an attitude of you should have known better.

The digital age is proving no one has any security or privacy.

As a result, will digital technology implode?

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    04-17-16 04:54 PM
    Delusional!

The realities of digital theft demand constant vigilance.

And even then, you can still be blindsided to which most of your peers will be unsympathetic with an attitude of you should have known better.

The digital age is proving no one has any security or privacy.

As a result, will digital technology implode?

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition 10.3.2.2876 on T-Mobile
    LOL. Well, since the sky has already fallen I imagine digital technology will implode next. We'll all go back to using stone tablets.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-17-16 04:57 PM
    Well, glad I switched to a Samsung Galaxy

via my Samsung Galaxy S5
    04-17-16 05:03 PM
    Neat thing about Knox is that it won't ever work again on a device that has been rooted at any point. Even after a total reload of the default OS image, the device remains ineligible for Knox. Nifty feature for security.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-17-16 09:06 PM
    LOL. Well, since the sky has already fallen I imagine digital technology will implode next. We'll all go back to using stone tablets.
    Perhaps we should invest in chisels then? Best to be prepared for the "future".

As an aside, I'm always struck by the irony of Luddite postings on what is a site for discussing smartphones.

Smash the Machines!!!

TgeekB and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    04-18-16 02:06 AM
    KNOX actually eliminates threats. DTEK just reports them. One example is where BlackBerry has no vision and falling behind.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and techvisor like this.
    04-18-16 05:18 AM
    I have trouble believing that some Chinese made Android phone is the most secure. Contrary to their raison d'etre. Unicorns anyone?

You guys can go back to chisels and stone tablets. Pen and paper will work fine for me. Plus those stone tablets just keep jamming up the shredder.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-18-16 06:37 AM
    I have trouble believing that some Chinese made Android phone is the most secure. Contrary to their raison d'etre. Unicorns anyone?

You guys can go back to chisels and stone tablets. Pen and paper will work fine for me. Plus those stone tablets just keep jamming up the shredder.

Posted via CB10
    Keep your head in the sand then. Lol.

By the way, Samsung's aren't Chinese, they are South Korean. Big difference.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-18-16 07:27 AM
    Perhaps we should invest in chisels then? Best to be prepared for the "future".

As an aside, I'm always struck by the irony of Luddite postings on what is a site for discussing smartphones.

Smash the Machines!!!

Think if all the accessories too. A small cart with wheels to carry the tablet, a chisel sharpener, etc.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-18-16 08:52 AM
    Think if all the accessories too. A small cart with wheels to carry the tablet, a chisel sharpener, etc.
    So now you have made it mobile?

But who will protect your slow moving cart from bandits on the road?
    techvisor likes this.
    04-18-16 09:03 AM
    So now you have made it mobile?

But who will protect your slow moving cart from bandits on the road?
    Blackberry security agents.
    04-18-16 09:32 AM
    Now those are definitely tools, not toys.

*C5303
    TgeekB, raves68, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    04-18-16 10:07 AM
    Now those are definitely tools, not toys.

*C5303
    Good one!
    techvisor likes this.
    04-18-16 10:14 AM
    Keep your head in the sand then. Lol.

By the way, Samsung's aren't Chinese, they are South Korean. Big difference.
    Of course Samsung is a South Korean company. However, most of their stuff is made in China. Hence Chinese made as I said.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 10:40 AM
    Of course Samsung is a South Korean company. However, most of their stuff is made in China. Hence Chinese made as I said.

Posted via CB10
    When I was a kid I remember cars made in Japan were considered junk by many people and the U.S. car manufacturers didn't take them seriously, until they surpassed them. Often our perceptions can get us in trouble.
    04-18-16 03:06 PM
    I'll dance a boogie with him. Not with the boogey man though. He's scary...

I get what you're saying. I value my environment, so I prefer not to have my private WiFi key "backed up" anywhere. My guest WiFi, I don't worry, go for your life... :-D

TgeekB likes this.
    04-18-16 04:24 PM
    "Google sniffs my WiFi and exact geo-location using their streetview cars, collects data on my Android phone and has my WiFi key..."

In essence, I'm practically PWNed by this entity, should I decide to use their products and ecosystem. Not that it's not a valid choice.

Back on topic:
    How is data and privacy protected on a KNOX Android phone? What makes it special? Does it protect the WiFi key? Hey, it's a corporate network you're getting access to...

And so many small details. Where does Google's influence start and STOP on a KNOX secured Android phone. What's the level of trust it should be given for a highly secure(d) environment? How much work pre- and post-deployment does the admin have to do? Does it benefit consumers in any way?

Quite a few questions here... :-D

Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 04-19-16 at 04:09 PM.
    04-18-16 04:32 PM

I get what you're saying. I value my environment, so I prefer not to have my private WiFi key "backed up" anywhere. My guest WiFi, I don't worry, go for your life... :-D

Well I can't dance at all.....two left feet.

Life is stressful enough, so I try not to worry about things that have a minuscule chance of happening. I try to use common sense and be as safe as possible. I certainly believe that manufacturers should continue to improve security with their devices, which Google and Apple appear to have done. I think that's why they are selling like they do, improved security and exceptional ecosystem. It's never about one thing, but about the whole package.

JMHO.
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    04-18-16 04:38 PM
    In essence, I'm practically PWNed by this entity, should I decide to use their products and ecosystem. Not that it's not a valid choice...
    How is data and privacy protected on a KNOX Android phone? What makes it special? Does is protect the WiFi key? Hey, it's a corporate network you're getting access to...
    Where does Google's influence start and STOP on a KNOX secured Android phone. What's the level of trust it should be given for a highly secure(d) environment? How much work pre- and post-deployment does the admin have to do?
    Android, iOS & Windows Phone all include Wi-Fi passwords in the backups that they upload to the cloud. BB10 almost certainly would as well if BlackBerry offered a cloud backup service.

Android & iOS (likely WP as well) allow you to disable cloud backups, your Wi-Fi passwords aren't stored in the cloud if you disable them. When you turn off backups, the Android confirmation states: "Stop backing up your Wi-Fi passwords, bookmarks, other settings and app data, plus erase all copies on Google servers?" This isn't a KNOX setting, any Android device has this ability.
    -androidwifi.png

In a highly secured environment, I doubt cloud backups would ever be enabled/allowed through the device management software in the first place, regardless of what OS is being used. Also, I would think that a Wi-Fi password would be at most a minor concern in a secured environment. If a government/corporation's Wi-Fi password is their primary line of defense, security isn't their priority anyway.

What is your main concern? That Google will "go rogue" and use your password to access your network? The class-action lawsuit would be epic. If your concern is that someone will hack Google, some of the most secure servers on Earth, you can find solace in the fact that if someone is capable of hacking Google to obtain your data, they're infinitely more capable of compromising you through other means. If your concern is law enforcement, go ahead and turn off cloud back-ups, but don't think that your Wi-Fi password will prevent law enforcement from accessing your network.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    04-18-16 05:53 PM

1) This feature is enabled or disabled by the user when they first setup the phone.

2) If enabled, you can disable it in settings. In fact, not only can you disable it, it will wipe the data from Google Servers.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-18-16 06:39 PM
    When I was a kid I remember cars made in Japan were considered junk by many people and the U.S. car manufacturers didn't take them seriously, until they surpassed them. Often our perceptions can get us in trouble.
    I didn't say Samsung was junk. I just said stuff made in China can't be the most secure. Especially Android stuff.

BTW, early Japanese cars were junk, almost bio degradable.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 07:13 PM
59 123