Samsung Electronics just revealed that the latest version of its KNOX security system, which comes preloaded on all of its enterprise-ready Android-powered smartphones, was awarded the strongest rating in Gartner Inc.’s recent report on “Mobile Device Security: A Comparison of Platforms”.

The South Korean company took great pride in announcing that Gartner granted KNOX with the most secure ratings of all of the platforms tested, which is more than likely due to its industry leading position in Authentication Methods, Encryption Management, Jailbreak/Root Protection and App Vetting.

For those unaware, the KNOX security suite protects smartphones from threats the minute they boot up. Every application opened, attachment download and video played is scanned to ensure that it’s not malicious. If the content turns out to be a threat, KNOX will automatically dispose of it accordingly.
    SamMobile
    Samsung Press Release

I thought this was more BBs area even in Android?
    enrod87 and Q10Bold like this.
    04-14-16 12:12 AM
    Knox using BlackBerry technology I assume?
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    04-14-16 12:29 AM
    Yeah odd that remembered once Chen was saying knox isn't even close to BB. But then again it's 2016 now...
    04-14-16 01:15 AM
    BlackBerry will be great again...soon, later this year,...

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    04-14-16 01:20 AM
    I'd assume that some of this has come from the discussions of a year or so back between Samsung and BB, but clearly not enough for Samsung to credit BB, or for BB to boast about. Chen would be all over this if what the Priv already had could be shown to be at the core of Knox.

So, what remains of the Priv's USP now? Just the PKB and the Hub-lite?
    04-14-16 01:26 AM
    No, isn't.
    04-14-16 02:26 AM
    I think the frame of reference when making such a claim has to be with enterprise customers. How many enterprise customers have their devices secured by Knox when compared to BlackBerry 's BES?

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    04-14-16 06:53 AM
    No, isn't.
    Actually Samsung 's Knox relies on BlackBerry 's BES 12 infrastructure.

04-14-16 06:55 AM

Not really.... KNOX can work with BES, but it also works without it. The Samsung/BlackBerry "collaboration" was for BlackBerry's benefit to add support to BES12 so that it could work with KNOX (even then I think BB10 devices days were numbered). KNOX even has their own stand alone EMM that works with Android KNOX devices, plain jane Android and iOS.... but not BlackBerry.
    04-14-16 07:26 AM
    Is that true?

A quick Google search seems to confirm that Knox works under mobileiron and good.

Yes, it works on bes12 too, but it cannot "rely" on bes.

Edit: thanks DDD.

So, back to my original point ... it doesn't look good for BB's claims for "security" as a Priv USP.
    dolco, anon(9188202) and techvisor like this.
    04-14-16 07:27 AM
    Samsung signed a JV with BlackBerry last year, Knox only became somewhat more secure since then.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 07:46 AM

once more...No, isn't!
    Thanks to Dunt Dunt Dunt and JepBB for explanation. They both saved my time.
    04-14-16 08:43 AM
    Samsung signed a JV with BlackBerry last year, Knox only became somewhat more secure since then.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry just announced today that they have partnered with Samsung to deliver an end-to-end secure Android mobility solution with the integration of BES12 and KNOX. We here at Samsung are very excited about this partnership and opportunity. Our enterprise customers have expressed a lot of interest in a solution where they can leverage their existing BES investment while supporting the growing demand for Samsung smartphones and tablets within their organizations. - See more at: https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog/....RaATxxqe.dpuf
    All that was done was BlackBerry added support to BES12 for KNOX devices... as their existing BES12 customers were moving to Tablets (which BlackBerry didn't have, and even to other smartphones that would run the needed apps) BlackBerry didn't want to force them to move to another EMM.

What we don't know, without a full copy of the Gartner report.... is what they tested. When they say platform do they mean just the KNOX devices? ot the KNOX devices with an EMM? In the index on Gartner.com, they only list mobile operation system under Platform (iOS, Android, Windows, BlackBerry) - they don't list any EMMs. At then end there is one subsection about EMM and addon protection. So I "think" this is just about the hardware only without any management. (no idea if the PRIV is in the BlackBerry category of if this was done pre PRIV and was based on BB10 hardware)
    dolco likes this.
    04-14-16 08:58 AM
    Why is this surprising? Sammy probably has twice the resources dedicated to Knox than BlackBerry has for BES and Good.

But ... this is from a Sammy press release and the report that it was based on could have given the same rating to others as well. Plus, they rated "app vetting" which could be something that BlackBerry has no part of without access to GPS.
    Last edited by PantherBlitz; 04-14-16 at 09:21 AM.
    04-14-16 09:10 AM
    Not really.... KNOX can work with BES, but it also works without it. The Samsung/BlackBerry "collaboration" was for BlackBerry's benefit to add support to BES12 so that it could work with KNOX (even then I think BB10 devices days were numbered). KNOX even has their own stand alone EMM that works with Android KNOX devices, plain jane Android and iOS.... but not BlackBerry.
    Thanks for a thorough explanation man.

I'd assume that some of this has come from the discussions of a year or so back between Samsung and BB, but clearly not enough for Samsung to credit BB, or for BB to boast about. Chen would be all over this if what the Priv already had could be shown to be at the core of Knox.

So, what remains of the Priv's USP now? Just the PKB and the Hub-lite?
    Seems to be the hard truth.

Its now that one realises that BB took far too much time to get to Android as Samsung were already building Knox from 2012 and putting a lot of resources into it.

The truth is he who has money plus manpower wins.
    04-14-16 02:16 PM
    Thanks for a thorough explanation man.

Seems to be the hard truth.

Its now that one realises that BB took far too much time to get to Android as Samsung were already building Knox from 2012 and putting a lot of resources into it.

The truth is he who has money plus manpower wins.
    Keep in mind this seems to be about KNOX the device and not about a complete end-to-end solution. So I don't "think" it is a reflection on BES or Good or maybe even the combination of those with whatever BlackBerry devices they tested.

But yes, BlackBerry is still trying to play catchup..
    04-14-16 02:36 PM
    Vice President Enterprise Business Team Samsung Knox, Gregory Wade. He is Ex-BlackBerry Executive.

-images.jpg
    04-14-16 02:47 PM
    Keep in mind this seems to be about KNOX the device and not about a complete end-to-end solution. So I don't "think" it is a reflection on BES or Good or maybe even the combination of those with whatever BlackBerry devices they tested.

Thanks a lot for the clarification man.

WRT playing catch up, I think they will give Samsung a hard time in some areas, which we need as the phone market stagnates WRT innovation. They had a great start with the Priv, not many Android OEMs have come in with such a 'complete' 1st Android device.
    04-14-16 02:47 PM
    Actually, if you keep saying this then, even if it isn't really true, it becomes CrackBerry True just like how Apple CarPlay runs on QNX.
    JeepBB, TgeekB, dolco and 3 others like this.
    04-14-16 03:29 PM
    BlackBerry will be great again...soon, later this year,...

Posted via CB10
    Or later.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    04-14-16 08:37 PM
    All that was done was BlackBerry added support to BES12 for KNOX devices... as their existing BES12 customers were moving to Tablets (which BlackBerry didn't have, and even to other smartphones that would run the needed apps) BlackBerry didn't want to force them to move to another EMM.

What we don't know, without a full copy of the Gartner report.... is what they tested. When they say platform do they mean just the KNOX devices? ot the KNOX devices with an EMM? In the index on Gartner.com, they only list mobile operation system under Platform (iOS, Android, Windows, BlackBerry) - they don't list any EMMs. At then end there is one subsection about EMM and addon protection. So I "think" this is just about the hardware only without any management. (no idea if the PRIV is in the BlackBerry category of if this was done pre PRIV and was based on BB10 hardware)
    Still will NOT use Samsung and Knox for any Business related aspects . Bottom line it's an Android same goes for the Priv

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 08:05 AM
    Still will NOT use Samsung and Knox for any Business related aspects . Bottom line it's an Android same goes for the Priv

Posted via CB10
    So it's iOS you're planning to use in a few years?

I think the key to true privacy and security in a business... is device management and regular software updates, along with how much your IT person knows about setting up and locking down devices. There are probably some poor implementations of BES/BB10 out there that are less secure than a well executed AirWatch/iOS installation.
    04-15-16 08:34 AM
    Or later.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    Just around the corner or in the 1st quarter (it is for the user to decide if we are using a regular calendar or the corporate calendar).
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-15-16 07:59 PM

So S6 / S7 have never been rooted?

Priv hasn't, afaik... ;-P

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-15-16 08:43 PM
    Secure android. Bahahaha. That's very funny. Remember kids, Google makes money selling your information. Apple makes money selling thier phones. Blackberry doesn't make money doing either.

It's true that Google doesn't steal your information when you install an android app but that's only because you give them all the permission they need.

Secure android! You guys crack me up
    FF22 likes this.
    04-15-16 09:43 PM
59 123