I know. It's an ad for the Samsung Galaxy S5 but hold on before you freak out and say this should never have been posted to CrackBerry. It does have some relevance, I promise. Just bear with me.

Samsung has made their way in the smartphone world through big budgets, grabbing media attention and arguably, copying other people's work but their latest marketing goes beyond what even I imagined. BlackBerry CEO John Chen caught some heat (and love) for calling iPhone users wall huggers in the past but now Samsung has straight up jacked the phrase to use in their own marketing material.

The funny thing is, everything they say about the iPhone is true. The battery life on iPhone's does tend to suck depending on how you set it up and the fact you see people attached to the wall with their iPhone's is reality. The worst part though, is that Samsung used it it in their ads when BlackBerry could have easily made a similar ad extolling the virtues of the battery life on the Z30 because even though it's non-removable it's bigger than the S5 and it's still got more juice than the iPhone.
    07-03-14 12:14 PM
    Can't blame them. Not like bb is doing much advertising now anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Grumblegrumble and shaleem like this.
    07-03-14 12:17 PM
    Can't blame them. Not like bb is doing much advertising now anyway.

Posted via CB10
    That's the point. They should have lol.
    07-03-14 12:18 PM
    I agree! BB could have used this in an ad or series of ads but took the different route....the high road? Not sure where that leaves them.....
    So Samsung rips off the CEO and uses it to their advantage....too bad Chen didn't get a patent on the term!!!
    potatoguy likes this.
    07-03-14 12:20 PM
    sorry. couldn't resist.

however, my Z10 makes me feel like a wall hugger. just saying
    B1aze, i guess this is just another missed opportunity for BlackBerry marketing....

I'd hope BlackBerry have more forward thinking ideas than ripping on potential customers that are currently on another platform though

The wall huggers description is accurate too, I'm sure you have seen every outlet in an airport with an iPhone user sitting next to them lol i know i have and always laugh

Posted via CB10
    Battery life is obviously not important to the masses, so these ads tend to be wastes of good marketing money. What really got Samsung on the map were ads appealing to emotions, i.e. making fun of Apple fans waiting in line for their phones. Battery life...not so much. It's a good thing BB did not waste marketing money going that route. In my honest opinion, of course.
    07-03-14 12:21 PM
    Battery life is obviously not important to the masses, so these ads tend to be wastes of good marketing money. What really got Samsung on the map were ads appealing to emotions, i.e. making fun of Apple fans waiting in line for their phones. Battery life...not so much. It's a good thing BB did not waste marketing money going that route. In my honest opinion, of course.
    Battery life and calling iPhone users wallhuggers is the same thing as making fun of them waiting in line. Different avenue, same concept. The end result is the emotion invoked by means of insulting iPhone users. People will remember the insult, the mention of battery life is just an additional bonus that will linger in minds as well. 'Remember that Samsung commercial? You know the one where the insulted iPhone users and battery life.. that ish was funny'
    potatoguy likes this.
    07-03-14 12:22 PM
    One of the many lost opportunities for BlackBerry..but may be it does not matter any more. mass media advertising is not really a super priority currently.

Posted from my SuperHuman Q10
    07-03-14 12:24 PM
    Arrrgggghhhhhh. Damn you BlackBerry, you got it right again.

But then didn't do anything about it. sigh.
    07-03-14 12:26 PM
    Oh well!!! I don't think BlackBerry can start marketing yet to the masses!

Posted via CB10
    Playbook007 likes this.
    07-03-14 12:33 PM
    John Chen should have patented "Wall hugger" .. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-03-14 12:36 PM
    부끄러움
    07-03-14 12:37 PM
    부끄러움
    Translation pls?

07-03-14 12:37 PM
    Everyone rips off others in the initial phase of growth. Always have. The rise of the US industrial base in the 19th century was partly based on ripping off ideas from Britain and Europe and not paying royalties for anything. You saw it with Korean cars 30 years ago which were knock offs of European and American ones, you see it with Chinese products now. What Samsung have done is the same in microcosm.

But what you then get is a shift from there to genuinely new products and innovation as they mature. They're doing that at the same time now.

Getting stressed about it is a bit pointless. In five years time new companies will (happening already) basically rip off Samsung too.

Nature of the beast.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 12:38 PM
    Translation pls?

Korean word for shame ...... at least thats what google told me
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    07-03-14 12:39 PM
    John Chen should have patented "Wall hugger" .. Lol

Hope you ain't hugging a wall ;-)..or are u

Posted from my SuperHuman Q10
    07-03-14 12:41 PM
    Haha.. Nope, I am good. I have fine-tuned my iPhone 5 and gives me enough battery!

07-03-14 12:44 PM
    It's just not BlackBerry's thing to insult other customers or companies in an ad. Yes, they recently have been fighting back but they never provoke. So I'm not surprised that BlackBerry didn't advertise this and I'm also not surprised that Samsung ripped them off.
    07-03-14 12:56 PM
    sorry. couldn't resist.

however, my Z10 makes me feel like a wall hugger. just saying
    What's that saying...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? If Samsung can make billions by improving on Apple's hard work or using a phrase that *may* have been coined by BB's CEO good for them. Apple hasn't had any incentive to fix the lameness of their phones as iSlaves keep buying them no matter what and BB doesn't seem to have any corporate advertising strategy at all. I have a feeling that Chen will have a few more catchy phrases BB could choose to employ anyway.
    07-03-14 12:57 PM
    Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 01:14 PM
    That's the point. They should have lol.
    Good one Bla1ze. I could not see from your post because it said "Invalid Parameters" after pressing play, but I searched for the video and found it somewhere else. This is awesome. Too bad BB did not take advantage of this when Chen called them "wall huggers." Last week, a guy was in the men's bathroom at Disneyland with a bored/mad face holding his iPhone while plugged to the only outlet available and watching his children play outside.
    07-03-14 01:15 PM
    Don't think Blackberry would be able to get away with an ad like that.
    Samsung is a completely different beast that can throw it's weight around in ads like that. They can take shots at other mobiles and keep going.
    Blackberry doesn't have that luxury of putting out ads that take shots at other mobiles, just imagine the response from the other company if there was one. They have a lot of material to work with to make an ad that puts down Blackberry and shows off their phone.

Posted via CB10
    wyrdfool likes this.
    07-03-14 01:17 PM
    Given the battery life of the X10. I think BlackBerry still has battery optimization work to be done on BB10. Before they can go around slamming their competitors.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-14 01:19 PM
    Given the battery life of the X10. I think BlackBerry still has battery optimization work to be done on BB10. Before they can go around slamming their competitors.

Posted via CB10
    Just as Samsung did, they could have used a device with better battery life.. like the Z30. Nothing in the Samsung ad implies it spans across their whole line of devices.

Also for those saying BlackBerry couldn't get away with it, BlackBerry doesn't have to be so blatant about it either. It could be used towards any non-descript device that isn't a BlackBerry.

In any case, I'm not saying BlackBerry should have created a direct copy of the ad, I'm saying there's ways it could have been worked into their marketing on any level. It wouldn't have even needed to be at a consumer level, it could even be worked into Enterprise material.

If you're only thinking about how BlackBerry could have worked this into a consumer commercial on TV, well that's shortsighted. There's plenty of ways BlackBerry could have used this but alas, they didn't. *broken record*
    07-03-14 01:25 PM
161 123 ...