Just read this article from CBC: Smartphones easily skim credit card information: CBC investigation

Basically, there is an app in the Google Play store that allows a user to use NFC to "steal" info from a person's chip-enabled credit card when they place their phone in close range of the other person's pocket/purse, etc.

Can BlackBerry offer up a rebuttal to this and show off how their phones can't do this? The emphasis in this article is on Android and the GS3 in particular, but if BlackBerry could share proof that their phones aren't capable of this illegal "feature" it would help solidify their use as secure devices (both 'inwardly' and 'outwardly'), and help improve their stance in the NFC world. Perhaps it's in the SDK for NFC features that they can highlight?

I feel like in the years to come, issues like this will continue to become more and more common, and highlighting the security features of a platform will become a great advertising tool.
    04-24-13 09:15 AM
    Nobody cares. All you have to do is turn it off. If blackberry wants to have an advantage, they need to EARN it!
    04-24-13 09:41 AM
    It is the app, more than the phone. So, I don't see where BlackBerry would say that their NFC couldn't do this, because they could.

BlackBerry could say that the NFC send option isn't allowed without user intervention. i.e. You can't use your phone as a NFC credit card without knowing.
    04-24-13 09:43 AM
    Pretty bad.

But who would leave their NFC enabled? I don't, wastes battery.

Opportunists will get lucky to grab someones details.
    04-24-13 09:49 AM
    I'm surprised that they didn't call out the app or developer by name. What was the purpose of this app? Was it designed to specifically steal information, or was that an afterthought that yes, if the app was used in a malicious way it could steal info? Plus, the whole SGS3 used to steal credit card/personal info thread title makes it sound like it's a function of JUST the SGS3, when the article clearly states it's an app, not the phone itself. That just happened to be the model used to demonstrate, and like others have mentioned, it could be used on any smartphone with access to this app, or any smartphone with NFC and the right app. Also: "CBC News was able to read information such as a card number, expiry date and cardholder name simply holding the smartphone over a credit or debit card" - There's an app that can do that on any smartphone. It's called the Camera.

And all this is why I prefer to keep my phone and my wallet separate, no matter what device I'm carrying. I should also look into getting one of those metal wallets.
    kbz1960 and grover5 like this.
    04-24-13 10:28 AM
    So wait... does that mean with regards to NFC skimming perpetuation, iOS is "safer" than BB10? LOL.
    04-24-13 10:28 AM
    I'm surprised that they didn't call out the app or developer by name. What was the purpose of this app? Was it designed to specifically steal information, or was that an afterthought that yes, if the app was used in a malicious way it could steal info? Plus, the whole SGS3 used to steal credit card/personal info thread title makes it sound like it's a function of JUST the SGS3, when the article clearly states it's an app, not the phone itself. That just happened to be the model used to demonstrate, and like others have mentioned, it could be used on any smartphone with access to this app, or any smartphone with NFC and the right app. Also: "CBC News was able to read information such as a card number, expiry date and cardholder name simply holding the smartphone over a credit or debit card" - There's an app that can do that on any smartphone. It's called the Camera.

And all this is why I prefer to keep my phone and my wallet separate, no matter what device I'm carrying. I should also look into getting one of those metal wallets.
    Creative thread titling seems to be the new normal now... individual bloggers speaking for entire platforms, specific devices "used" for stealing, etc.

Can't wait for someone to post that a WP8 device was used to capture illicit images. Those MS evildoers.
    pantlesspenguin and notfanboy like this.
    04-24-13 10:33 AM
    Basically, there is an app in the Google Play store that allows a user to use NFC to "steal" info from a person's chip-enabled credit card when they place their phone in close range of the other person's pocket/purse, etc.
    Yeah, chip-enabled credit/debit cards are a security risk, which is why I avoid them and advise others to avoid them. Here is a Snopes article concerning such cards.
    04-24-13 10:47 AM
    So wait... does that mean with regards to NFC skimming perpetuation, iOS is "safer" than BB10? LOL.
    Yeah lol

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 11:28 AM
    This an app that uses the phone to receive the NFC info from the cards, not the phone having it's info stolen. It lends nothing to the lack of, or inherent security, of any platform.
    Masahiro and Vorkosigan like this.
    04-24-13 12:50 PM
    Nobody cares. All you have to do is turn it off. If blackberry wants to have an advantage, they need to EARN it!
    Pretty bad.

But who would leave their NFC enabled? I don't, wastes battery.

Opportunists will get lucky to grab someones details.
    Did you two read anything? The app is designed to take information directly from credit cards.
    cjcampbell, jegs2 and Vorkosigan like this.
    04-24-13 01:01 PM
    Creative thread titling seems to be the new normal now... individual bloggers speaking for entire platforms, specific devices "used" for stealing, etc.
    Oh you're just being too uptight. OP just wanted to generate some "fun" and "excitement" with the choice of title.

On a serious note, this is a problem - with credit cards.
    Here is a one solution: Make Your Own RFID-Shielded Wallet To Foil ID Thieves | Lifehacker Australia
    04-24-13 03:11 PM
    Oh you're just being too uptight. OP just wanted to generate some "fun" and "excitement" with the choice of title.

Here is a one solution: Make Your Own RFID-Shielded Wallet To Foil ID Thieves | Lifehacker Australia
    Haha I see what you did there

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-24-13 04:01 PM

You owe me a new monitor and a mouthful of delicious tea.
    04-24-13 05:01 PM
    whats the name of the app?
    04-25-13 12:29 AM
    whats the name of the app?
    Lol!

But yea, hackers will be hackers. Nothing is safe if someone's really wanting to steal. You can make a homemade device that spoofs an RFID tag or whatever from a couple steps away.
    04-25-13 12:39 AM
    Did you two read anything? The app is designed to take information directly from credit cards.
    ****e lol

oopsy
    04-25-13 05:04 AM