"T3: Samsung Galaxy Fold 3: BlackBerry fans will LOVE this phone."

https://www.t3.com/us/news/samsung-g...d-3-blackberry

Is this author out of touch? Cause that retractable panel looks to be a flat piece of glass, and not a PKB.

If true (meaning Samsung wants to force more glass down on people) then that really is a shame. Because with a full touch-type style PKB it could have been such a productivity beast.
    11-03-20 03:38 PM
    that thing is an abomination
    11-03-20 03:42 PM
    Yeah the author doesn't understand BlackBerry users.....

Should appeal to the same crowd that likes what F(x)tec and Planet Computers are doing with their horizontal keyboards. But looks like this isn't a mobile device you'd use on the go, but once you got somewhere you could fold it out on a surface.

But then I'm not sure if there aren't more people looking for what Samsung is experimenting with.... at least ones willing to shell out $2,000.
    11-04-20 08:51 AM
    Yeah the author doesn't understand BlackBerry users.....

Should appeal to the same crowd that likes what F(x)tec and Planet Computers are doing with their horizontal keyboards. But looks like this isn't a mobile device you'd use on the go, but once you got somewhere you could fold it out on a surface.

But then I'm not sure if there aren't more people looking for what Samsung is experimenting with.... at least ones willing to shell out $2,000.
    Well the Fold 2 is a thing so there are definitely some out there that were willing to shell out used car prices for one.

What amuses me is the resale value. The Fold 2 has barely been out for two full months and we're already seeing used ones on Swappa for like $1400. Wow.
    11-04-20 10:31 AM
    Well the Fold 2 is a thing so there are definitely some out there that were willing to shell out used car prices for one.

What amuses me is the resale value. The Fold 2 has barely been out for two full months and we're already seeing used ones on Swappa for like $1400. Wow.
    Yeah ridiculous pricing on the Fold 2. Unfortunately all the expensive devices value drops like stones because in less than 4 months it will be outdated in consumers minds with the 875.

Seriously wish they would use the same chip for a couple years. It all seems so wasteful.

For me anymore I either buy on a steep discount a year after release like my BE BlackBerry KeyOne OR with my slabs I wait a couple years until Samsung and my carrier make me an offer I cannot refuse. A couple months ago I traded my pristine S9 straight across for the new A71 5G. I did have to pay the 42 dollars in tax but for that I got 5G and upgrades until Android 14 and security patches for 4 plus years. Seemed logical.

No way in heck would I pay 2k for a mobile device... I like the Duo. I can't wait for that to keep falling (gasp!!! It only has a 855 and 6G)
    11-05-20 12:24 AM
    Unfortunately all the expensive devices value drops like stones because in less than 4 months it will be outdated in consumers minds with the 875.

Seriously wish they would use the same chip for a couple years. It all seems so wasteful.
    Fully agree. I wouldn't mind 1.5 year release cycles for phones in general. They're churning them out too damn fast.

If there's one thing Android users should envy Apple for, it's their phones resale value. 1 year cycle isn't ideal either but it sure is better than 6 month ones.

Samsung is all over the place between its different lines of phones and then the FE's on top of that. Way too confusing. Not sure how it makes business sense to make so many of them like that, makes it more expensive to support them all.
    bh7171 and Tsepz_GP like this.
    11-05-20 09:19 AM
    Fully agree. I wouldn't mind 1.5 year release cycles for phones in general. They're churning them out too damn fast.

If there's one thing Android users should envy Apple for, it's their phones resale value. 1 year cycle isn't ideal either but it sure is better than 6 month ones.

Samsung is all over the place between its different lines of phones and then the FE's on top of that. Way too confusing. Not sure how it makes business sense to make so many of them like that, makes it more expensive to support them all.
    A for-profit corporation's purpose is to generate maximum cash-flow and profits as consistently as possible. Regardless of what their respective C-level people say and their advertising claims, if down to one choice at point in time, cash-flow is chosen because it's the oxygen that allows the corporation to breathe.

Also, making too many versions doesn't mean support costs go up. Many of the cheaper versions are possible because little to no support will be given.
    11-05-20 09:31 AM

I believe Google has helped make support easier and Qualcomm seems to be realizing the need to support longer with Samsung making and improving upon their own chips.

Samsung fired a serious shot across all other Android device makers bows with 3 OS letter upgrades from the one of release (4 years of OS) and 4 plus years of security patches for the affordable, excellent Galaxy A and expensive S lines.

Reading an article of AC of how Samsung weathered the 2020 storm with their reach in making so many of the parts for their devices and other like Apple they did not experience release delays such as the 4a Pixel and even iPhone 12. Impressive.

iPhone values are in a state of Flux due to moving from 4G to 5G. My dad traded in my daughter's XR for the new iPhone 12 two weeks ago. The value Apple gave for the XR was not very much BUT the T-Mobile ad ons helped lower overall costs.

In day to day use and opening apps I honestly see very, very miniscule differences between my A71 5G with the 765G chip and the new A14 in Apple. I kinda think chips have been so good and fast for a few years like the 820 up and even A10 in my sons 6th generation iPad that it doesn't even matter much for most users. Really graphic intensive gamers perhaps but even that is lessening.

Autos usually have a 5 year cycle with engines and chasis with a usual mid cycle fresh in some areas for power or performance. I think Apple and even now Samsung with support are kinda in that wheel house. And those that don't join them are really going to cut profit margins or just plain throw in the towel.

Even, cheap good performing Amazon tablets are getting support and security updates. I had a 6th gen 2016 HD8 that was updated in August 2020 before I traded in on the new HD8+. Trade in, 3 day sale price and 20% off made my upgrade @ 48 dollars.

*Trade ins and carrier deals here in US, I believe, are really the only mechanism that keeps the device churn and upgrades going.
    11-05-20 01:08 PM
    The Galaxy Fold 2 is a cool device, but at 2k, I will pass. As with others, I have seen used ones already selling for around $1400 for an nice unlocked model.

My opinion is the device is way overpriced at 2K for a new one. I might consider buying one to play around with for 1k, but there are just too many devices currently on the market that I think are far more value added then the Galaxy Fold 2.
    11-07-20 05:00 PM
    2K...WOW, That is more than I would pay for a phone as well.
    bakron1 likes this.
    11-09-20 11:27 AM
    My guess is it's not more than 99% of people would pay.... its the One-Percenters that Samsung are going after.

Plus it is a beta product that move along the "fold" technology to the next level.... even if they lose millions, it get them to the next stage.

Huawei claimed they were selling 100K units a month of the Mate X ($2,400). But I hardly hear anything about it at this point. TCL.... they like to do renders of what they plan to do one day. Moto is about the only other one that has a product here.... but at $1,400 it only gets you a normal sized phone when open.
    11-09-20 11:41 AM
    The idea is that this is a phone that turns into a tablet.
    11-09-20 11:56 AM
    The idea is that this is a phone that turns into a tablet.
    Pretty sure its a Phone that fold......
    11-09-20 12:16 PM
    Pretty sure its a Phone that fold......
    ... into a tablet.
    11-09-20 12:40 PM