I know it's a stretch, but perhaps this could open the space a bit for lower-priced entry-level BB10 devices (i.e. Z5).

Samsung dropped a nuclear patent on Apple

"This week, the U.S. International Trade Commission made a decision that sent shock waves around the world.

The governmental agency banned the importation of Apple's older iPhones (before the 4S) and cellular iPads (before the third-generation iPad 4G) into the U.S. market. These devices were found to violate a Samsung patent necessary to connect with AT&T's cellular network. Simply put, if you're an AT&T customer, your phone is not a phone without a technology that Samsung owns.

Customs officers will hold any Apple shipments coming from China in 60 days if they contain those older products unless an appeals court sides with Apple or President Barack Obama vetoes the order. "

Thoughts?
    06-07-13 11:10 AM
    I've read this a few days ago. This wont hurt Apple sales as according to all reports the devices are pre iPhone 5 and iPad 3. But Apple will have to hand over a nice check to Samsung. Most likely a percentage of every device sold under the patent infringement.

I don't think Apple will get out of this one.
    06-07-13 11:18 AM
    who cares, no authorized dealer sells those anyway.. gotta get it 2nd hand or further... apple wont be affected
    06-07-13 11:32 AM
    It'll just get tossed into the huge lawsuit battle between these 2 giants anyway. They'll probably both end up owing each other the same amount of money by the end of it all.
    06-07-13 11:42 AM
    It is something big though considering that most American MVNO's and regional carrier's that sell lower priced iPhone's sell the ones that are mentioned in the ban.
    06-07-13 11:49 AM
    Importation in to the United States? I thought they were home grown in California

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 04:01 PM
    That is why Apple started a buy back program in the past two days. So they have old devices to sell.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 04:40 PM
    That is why Apple started a buy back program in the past two days. So they have old devices to sell.

Posted via CB10
    Not in the US.
    06-07-13 05:02 PM
    Importation in to the United States? I thought they were home grown in California

Posted via CB10
    The devices aren't made there so they have to import them.
    06-07-13 05:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Apple has had a buy back program for many years. I've used it. And not recently.
    06-07-13 06:08 PM
    Also,...is apple still importing 4's into the US? That phone is nearly three years old.
    06-07-13 06:10 PM
    The 4 will no doubt be discontinued later this summer, and the ITC ruling has a 60 day window during which it can be appealed or vetoed by the President.

This ruling was a surprise given that it is in respect of Standard Essential Patents which companies are required to make available to competitors in exhange for a minor royalty. Having the ITC rule that an import ban is to be applied to a SEP has most observers believing this was politically motivated to give Obama reason to call for an overhaul of the ITC. It is widely expected that Obama will veto the ruling.

For the record there are two countries in the world that have issued SEP import bans against Apple. The US and South Korea.

In the EU, Samsung dropped the SEP claim as it was clear they were going to lose and be penalized for even daring to bring the claim.
    06-07-13 08:19 PM
    I agree that there shouldn't be import bans on SEP...BUT to my knowledge Apple STILL hasn't paid Samsung ANY SEP royalties since they first released the original iPhone in 2007!

They are refusing to pay the royalties asked by Samsung & have instead made a ridiculously low counter offer & are refusing to step down from that price. Thus, when it goes to court, Apple claims that they have not refused to pay the royalties & are still negotiating on a price, even though neither side is stepping down from their respective positions.
    06-08-13 03:42 AM
    I agree that there shouldn't be import bans on SEP...BUT to my knowledge Apple STILL hasn't paid Samsung ANY SEP royalties since they first released the original iPhone in 2007!
    Ah. Was that the same iPhone Samsung essentially Xeroxed after it had previously been Xeroxing the BlackBerry Curve? That's probably not the best example.
    06-08-13 05:33 AM
    It'll just get tossed into the huge lawsuit battle between these 2 giants anyway. They'll probably both end up owing each other the same amount of money by the end of it all.
    With the lawyers on either side being the true winners.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-08-13 04:33 PM
    Also,...is apple still importing 4's into the US? That phone is nearly three years old.
    They are still selling I phone 4's at Verizon. They have to come from somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:45 PM
    They are still selling I phone 4's at Verizon. They have to come from somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    VZ phones are not covered by the order.
    06-10-13 12:18 AM
    The order states quite clearly that "Customs officers will hold any Apple shipments coming from China in 60 days if they contain those older products unless an appeals court sides with Apple or President Barack Obama vetoes the order."

It does not differentiate between phones based upon destination point.
    06-10-13 12:53 PM
    The order states quite clearly that "Customs officers will hold any Apple shipments coming from China in 60 days if they contain those older products unless an appeals court sides with Apple or President Barack Obama vetoes the order."

It does not differentiate between phones based upon destination point.
    I think the infringement is on GSM/GPRS networking technology (for AT&T/Cingular), which is not used by later iPhones running on Verizon's CDMA network.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 01:42 PM