Does this explain slow OS updates, or the lack-there-of, for BlackBerry devices? No OS 6 for devices that can run it from carriers in the States?

Is A Samsung Fight With Carriers Screwing Its Android Phone Owners?

The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still - xda-developers
    Last edited by CASH; 01-18-11 at 02:39 PM.
    01-18-11 02:34 PM
    I saw this story, here was Samsungs response

"Samsung does not charge carriers for updates to new versions of Android.
    We are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners as soon as possible. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing. Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience."
    Like i said to someone last week, there is too many unknowns but there some things that simply dont add up. There are builds that run damn near perfect and yet no roll out for the Vibrant?

As for RIM devices, it's not RIM holding back releases since they just post **** and leave it up to the carriers as to what they do with it. Some carriers purposely sit on perfectly fine releases as to sell new hardware (sup AT&T?).

I learned reaaaaaaaally fast to not rely on carriers to push updates out in a timely manner, otherwise i would have snapped my OG Storm into a million pieces waiting on VZW to push an OS updates 6 months after the thing launched.
    Culex316 likes this.
    01-18-11 07:33 PM
    It's got to be said that updates are one of the most frustrating things for an Android owner.

It just goes to show that you need someone where the buck stops to make it happen and own that software, Android is the only platform that does not have it. Microsoft, Apple, Nokia and Blackberry have no trouble since this is what they do, Google has other motives at play and it allows device manufacturers and carriers to do the same.
    01-18-11 09:58 PM
    It's got to be said that updates are one of the most frustrating things for an Android owner.

It just goes to show that you need someone where the buck stops to make it happen and own that software, Android is the only platform that does not have it. Microsoft, Apple, Nokia and Blackberry have no trouble since this is what they do, Google has other motives at play and it allows device manufacturers and carriers to do the same.
    Software plays just as an important part to any platform, just like hardware. RIM isnt much better regarding updates, it just posts builds to their portal and the onus is on the carriers to test and sift through the garbage that RIM should be embarrassed to have posted to find decent builds to test and certify for their network. Apple on the other hand takes the carrier completely out the equation, as well as Microsoft following in Apples footsteps.

Android updates are a fairly big deal as they bring lots of new features EVERY UPDATE. HTC and Motorola are spot on when it comes to their updates for their devices, Samsung and SE are not. This is something consumers remember when they go out to buy a new phone, because when my pals Incredible or Evo is rocking Froyo and their sucking down all that Flash goodness and I can't, i'm not going to be a happy camper (i personally have my device rooted and flashed since the day i have got it) and i likely wont buy from said company again.

Deservedly so the repercussions of bad support or being behind the curve is the manufacturer gets a bad reputation, and can have a severe effect on sales. Sony Ericsson for example, a near dying company that turned to Android to drum up sales (if Moto could do it, so could SE right?). Their Xperia X10 was a device that had most of the right pieces for good sales, Snapdragon...4" screen...8MP cam. Then it came to market with Donut 1.6, which was old as dirt and that blocks users from more advanced apps in the marketplace which completely killed sales of this device. Then in October months after release they dump Eclair on users when Froyo had been on the market since May and NO HOPE of getting anything beyond. After this past CES, SE said that they didnt think "updates were a big deal to users".

Anyways, Google has zero say in what manufacturers do with Android. The only motive Google has with Android is to push more services to users and thus more ads and make more money.
    The_Engine and iN8ter like this.
    01-19-11 04:33 AM
    Interesting. On another thread when I said that I observed how much of a nightmare it was for a couple of my family members to upgrade their Android devices you'd thought I'd insulted their mothers. Yet here is a story. Hah....interesting.
    01-19-11 05:36 AM
    Look, Android is not Perfect. Just like any other OS on any platform. So it makes perfect sense that these type of things happen. At the end of the day it boils down to this: Just because Google drops an OS, doesn't mean all Hardware will run it Properly.

There are no Blanket OS drops. It just doesn't work like that anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 09:17 AM
    I'm not sure what the truth is, but I do know I'm running 2.2 on my rooted Captivate better than it ran 2.1.

Someone is just dropping the ball, and it is really irritating.

01-19-11 10:35 AM
    What are the changes between Froyo and Gingerbread. I read that Gingerbread mainly just changed the color of the icons?

01-19-11 10:43 AM
    What are the changes between Froyo and Gingerbread. I read that Gingerbread mainly just changed the color of the icons?

lol

New User Features

UI refinements for simplicity and speed
    The user interface is refined in many ways across the system, making it easier to learn, faster to use, and more power-efficient. A simplified visual theme of colors against black brings vividness and contrast to the notification bar, menus, and other parts of the UI. Changes in menus and settings make it easier for the user to navigate and control the features of the system and device.

Faster, more intuitive text input
    The Android soft keyboard is redesigned and optimized for faster text input and editing. The keys themselves are reshaped and repositioned for improved targeting, making them easier to see and press accurately, even at high speeds. The keyboard also displays the current character and dictionary suggestions in a larger, more vivid style that is easier to read.

The keyboard adds the capability to correct entered words from suggestions in the dictionary. As the user selects a word already entered, the keyboard displays suggestions that the user can choose from, to replace the selection. The user can also switch to voice input mode to replace the selection. Smart suggestions let the user accept a suggestion and then return to correct it later, if needed, from the original set of suggestions.

New multitouch key-chording lets the user quickly enter numbers and symbols by pressing Shift+<letter> and ?123+<symbol>, without needing to manually switch input modes. From certain keys, users can also access a popup menu of accented characters, numbers, and symbols by holding the key and sliding to select a character.

One-touch word selection and copy/paste
    When entering text or viewing a web page, the user can quickly select a word by press-hold, then copy to the clipboard and paste. Pressing on a word enters a free-selection mode � the user can adjust the selection area as needed by dragging a set of bounding arrows to new positions, then copy the bounded area by pressing anywhere in the selection area. For text entry, the user can slide-press to enter a cursor mode, then reposition the cursor easily and accurately by dragging the cursor arrow. With both the selection and cursor modes, no use of a trackball is needed.

Improved power management
    The Android system takes a more active role in managing apps that are keeping the device awake for too long or that are consuming CPU while running in the background. By managing such apps � closing them if appropriate � the system helps ensure best possible performance and maximum battery life.

The system also gives the user more visibility over the power being consumed by system components and running apps. The Application settings provides an accurate overview of how the battery is being used, with details of the usage and relative power consumed by each component or application.

Control over applications
    A shortcut to the Manage Applications control now appears in the Options Menu in the Home screen and Launcher, making it much easier to check and manage application activity. Once the user enters Manage Applications, a new Running tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each. The user can read further details about each application and if necessary stop an application or report feedback to its developer.

New ways of communicating, organizing
    An updated set of standard applications lets the user take new approaches to managing information and relationships.

Internet calling

The user can make voice calls over the internet to other users who have SIP accounts. The user can add an internet calling number (a SIP address) to any Contact and can initiate a call from Quick Contact or Dialer. To use internet calling, the user must create an account at the SIP provider of their choice � SIP accounts are not provided as part of the internet calling feature. Additionally, support for the platform's SIP and internet calling features on specific devices is determined by their manufacturers and associated carriers.

Near-field communications

An NFC Reader application lets the user read and interact with near-field communication (NFC) tags. For example, the user can �touch� or �swipe� an NFC tag that might be embedded in a poster, sticker, or advertisement, then act on the data read from the tag. A typical use would be to read a tag at a restaurant, store, or event and then rate or register by jumping to a web site whose URL is included in the tag data. NFC communication relies on wireless technology in the device hardware, so support for the platform's NFC features on specific devices is determined by their manufacturers.

Downloads management

The Downloads application gives the user easy access to any file downloaded from the browser, email, or another application. Downloads is built on an completely new download manager facility in the system that any other applications can use, to more easily manage and store their downloads.

Camera

The application now lets the user access multiple cameras on the device, including a front-facing camera, if available.

Android 2.3 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

There are also developer changes found on this link
    01-19-11 10:54 AM
    First... it's a Samsung issue, not an Android issue (I stick with HTC myself, one reason being that updates come out rather regularly).

Second... IMHO, There's no politics or conspiracies. Samsung simply just doesn't have their act together in the software dept.
    01-19-11 11:05 AM
    First... it's a Samsung issue, not an Android issue (I stick with HTC myself, one reason being that updates come out rather regularly).

Second... IMHO, There's no politics or conspiracies. Samsung simply just doesn't have their act together in the software dept.
    I can't understand for the life of me why this is the case.. my cousin has an Epic and she's DYING for 2.2... so is one of my buddies who blogs on Phandroid. To my knowledge, the Galaxy S in other countries have the 2.2 update and those phones can't be THAT different from their US versions so I just don't understand why Samsung just can't do it here
    01-19-11 11:13 AM
    lol

New User Features

UI refinements for simplicity and speed
    The user interface is refined in many ways across the system, making it easier to learn, faster to use, and more power-efficient. A simplified visual theme of colors against black brings vividness and contrast to the notification bar, menus, and other parts of the UI. Changes in menus and settings make it easier for the user to navigate and control the features of the system and device.

Faster, more intuitive text input
    The Android soft keyboard is redesigned and optimized for faster text input and editing. The keys themselves are reshaped and repositioned for improved targeting, making them easier to see and press accurately, even at high speeds. The keyboard also displays the current character and dictionary suggestions in a larger, more vivid style that is easier to read.

The keyboard adds the capability to correct entered words from suggestions in the dictionary. As the user selects a word already entered, the keyboard displays suggestions that the user can choose from, to replace the selection. The user can also switch to voice input mode to replace the selection. Smart suggestions let the user accept a suggestion and then return to correct it later, if needed, from the original set of suggestions.

New multitouch key-chording lets the user quickly enter numbers and symbols by pressing Shift+<letter> and ?123+<symbol>, without needing to manually switch input modes. From certain keys, users can also access a popup menu of accented characters, numbers, and symbols by holding the key and sliding to select a character.

One-touch word selection and copy/paste
    When entering text or viewing a web page, the user can quickly select a word by press-hold, then copy to the clipboard and paste. Pressing on a word enters a free-selection mode � the user can adjust the selection area as needed by dragging a set of bounding arrows to new positions, then copy the bounded area by pressing anywhere in the selection area. For text entry, the user can slide-press to enter a cursor mode, then reposition the cursor easily and accurately by dragging the cursor arrow. With both the selection and cursor modes, no use of a trackball is needed.

Improved power management
    The Android system takes a more active role in managing apps that are keeping the device awake for too long or that are consuming CPU while running in the background. By managing such apps � closing them if appropriate � the system helps ensure best possible performance and maximum battery life.

The system also gives the user more visibility over the power being consumed by system components and running apps. The Application settings provides an accurate overview of how the battery is being used, with details of the usage and relative power consumed by each component or application.

Control over applications
    A shortcut to the Manage Applications control now appears in the Options Menu in the Home screen and Launcher, making it much easier to check and manage application activity. Once the user enters Manage Applications, a new Running tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each. The user can read further details about each application and if necessary stop an application or report feedback to its developer.

New ways of communicating, organizing
    An updated set of standard applications lets the user take new approaches to managing information and relationships.

Internet calling

The user can make voice calls over the internet to other users who have SIP accounts. The user can add an internet calling number (a SIP address) to any Contact and can initiate a call from Quick Contact or Dialer. To use internet calling, the user must create an account at the SIP provider of their choice � SIP accounts are not provided as part of the internet calling feature. Additionally, support for the platform's SIP and internet calling features on specific devices is determined by their manufacturers and associated carriers.

Near-field communications

An NFC Reader application lets the user read and interact with near-field communication (NFC) tags. For example, the user can �touch� or �swipe� an NFC tag that might be embedded in a poster, sticker, or advertisement, then act on the data read from the tag. A typical use would be to read a tag at a restaurant, store, or event and then rate or register by jumping to a web site whose URL is included in the tag data. NFC communication relies on wireless technology in the device hardware, so support for the platform's NFC features on specific devices is determined by their manufacturers.

Downloads management

The Downloads application gives the user easy access to any file downloaded from the browser, email, or another application. Downloads is built on an completely new download manager facility in the system that any other applications can use, to more easily manage and store their downloads.

Camera

The application now lets the user access multiple cameras on the device, including a front-facing camera, if available.

Android 2.3 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

There are also developer changes found on this link
    That is significant. Thanks for the info. Perhaps my girlfriend will one day get to experience this on her vibrant but at this point she would be happy to see froyo.
    01-19-11 11:24 AM
    I dunno if Samsung is all at fault. Tmobile also held os5 on my 8900 while the rest of the world had it. I had to download os5 from another carrier. Tmobile finally released the official version after the device was discontinued.

We need more answers. Been waiting for the update but after rooting my phone and installed the custom roms the official version doesn't really affect me. But it does for a lot of consumers.

01-19-11 01:39 PM

I didn't mean politics in the government kind of way.

I can't understand for the life of me why this is the case.. my cousin has an Epic and she's DYING for 2.2... so is one of my buddies who blogs on Phandroid. To my knowledge, the Galaxy S in other countries have the 2.2 update and those phones can't be THAT different from their US versions so I just don't understand why Samsung just can't do it here
    Samsung wants too much in fees for giving the carriers the updated software. Carriers have to pay for each device that gets updated.
    01-19-11 03:31 PM
    This why I don't buy anything Samsung with their crap on it. If you don't run vanilla Android like the Nexus S then the other stuff isn't worth the headache of constantly being behind all the other manufacturers. And before people get started..... we aren't talking about rooting and flashing a ROM to get an updated one. Talking about manufacturer updates for the people who don't care or don't know how to root. And the Galaxy tab is a joke. Google already stated that the OS on it was not optimized for tablet use. Why would I buy something from a company who takes too long to update if they do and for a product where the company behind the software says it's not even made for the hardware? Just plain dumb.
    01-19-11 03:57 PM
    Samsung wants too much in fees for giving the carriers the updated software. Carriers have to pay for each device that gets updated.
    Samsung has already released a statement saying that is not the case.
    01-19-11 04:05 PM
    Samsung has already released a statement saying that is not the case.
    Could be BS. If that really was the reason and I was a newb, I wouldn't dare buy a Galaxy S device.
    01-19-11 04:21 PM

It's an Android issue. The entire Android eco-system is a complete and utter mess.

Motorola is better than Samsung, but not by much. HTC MyTouch3G owners also had to wait forever for updates that are just being rolled out (FroYo updates, ~7-8 months after FroYo was released).

This isn't 2004. Google and it's OEM partners are still running Android like it's Windows Mobile or Pre-^3 Symbian.

People are getting to the point where they're not going to put up with it.

I know I'm likely to never buy another Android phone again, and if I do, certainly not another phone from Samsung (I have a Vibrant as well).

Sorry, but Samsung told us before the phone launched that we'd get FroYo Soon. Which turned into "September." Then "October" when we got the virtually useless MediaHub JI6 update. Then "The end of 2010."

Now we're coming up on the end of January and still wondering when our already-out of date OS update is coming? For a high end flagship phone that costs at least $500...

Sorry. The issue is not exclusive to Samsung. It's an Android issue.

Yes, the Evo got FroYo fast, but the first OTAs were buggy as ****. It was like HTC had pushed beta-level software to Evo 4G users, and they probably should have waited a couple months anyways. They just wanted to have some bragging rights, I guess...

Android manufacturers are more concerned with pushing out more devices and refreshes than supporting their phones well. HD2, Evo, Desire HD, HD7? All almost the same phone (maybe updated SoC here and there, with the desire having an AMOLED instead HTC's normal terrible TFT LCD screen). Vibrant owners waiting on FroYo - Samsung is getting ready to release a Vibrant 4G+ with FroYo. Galaxy Tab (Same SoC) shipped with FroYo. Inspire 4G had FroYo running on it. Nexus S (same SoC) with Gingerbread. Moto has had a lot of phones they abandoned as well - they are only marginally better than Samsung. Let's not even mention Sony Erickson, releasing phones with Donut when FroYo was shipping/available and only updating them to Eclair. Their users would have been better off getting iPhones, IMO.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-20-11 at 09:14 AM.
    01-20-11 09:07 AM
    Look, Android is not Perfect. Just like any other OS on any platform. So it makes perfect sense that these type of things happen. At the end of the day it boils down to this: Just because Google drops an OS, doesn't mean all Hardware will run it Properly.

There are no Blanket OS drops. It just doesn't work like that anymore.

You know that Microsoft has shown that there is a way round all this, so it's not any and every platform, If only Google would state some hardware specs we would not have this mess. Heck they could even have different tiers of hardware but it would ensure that the software would run across the board for a given release.

The only reason it does not work like that is because of Google, they pass the buck to the device makers and they then pass it on to the carrier.
    01-20-11 12:42 PM
    01-20-11 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD