The funniest commericial I've seen in a long time. The only way to make Android secure is to shut the phone off. I couldn't believe it when they said the S3 and the Note ll. They've been trying to plug the security holes in both of those since they've been released. Now they are trying to make them sound secure. Have to stop laughing it hurts.
    01-20-13 10:46 PM
    Just seen the commercial, they're definitely going after BlackBerry.
    Are you saying you do not have confidence in BlackBerry 10 to compete against Samsung's latest product? I am reading too many "let's trounce // insert company name // because they are saying something we don't like about BlackBerry or Research In Motion." Grow up and stop acting foolish.
    jafrul likes this.
    01-20-13 10:56 PM
    Are you saying you do not have confidence in BlackBerry 10 to compete against Samsung's latest product? I am reading too many "let's trounce // insert company name // because they are saying something we don't like about BlackBerry or Research In Motion." Grow up and stop acting foolish.
    My exact reaction upon reading this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    jafrul and reeneebob like this.
    01-20-13 11:02 PM
    Yes, I know everyone wants to high five and get hype, but I hope RIM learns. I doubt some folks will see the good in other platforms, but it is key to understand that people are not foolish for picking those devices.

Doubt Thor is screaming "They came after us! Let's thumb down the video!" Nah, that cat was smart enough to use other products as his daily driver (and I believe he was smart enough to do it without downloading a scary virus).

Understanding (and respecting) the competition is the reason RIM has an opportunity to thrive now.
    01-20-13 11:04 PM
    He didn't say that at all. He said Samsung was targeting blackberry in that ad, which they were, Or more specifically the enterprise market which has been primarily blackberry domain.

As for acting foolish indeed some people fail to see that healthy competition amongst manufactures is good for the consumer.
    01-20-13 11:12 PM
    The only thing Samsung did by airing that commercial was to make themselves look silly. They pretty much shot themselves in their foot. The emphasis was supposed to be for business and security, but the people portrayed were very unprofessional. I would never want any employee of mine playing a game while dealing with a customer. As for security, they were pretty much mocking blackberry, but security is one of blackberry's platforms biggest strengths. And the two best selling Samsung devices, the Samsung Galaxy III and the Samsung Note II, does not even have FIPS. So in the end instead of helping themselves with that advertisement, they made themselves look rather silly.
    Last edited by web99; 01-20-13 at 11:52 PM.
    01-20-13 11:22 PM
    Yes, I know everyone wants to high five and get hype, but I hope RIM learns. I doubt some folks will see the good in other platforms, but it is key to understand that people are not foolish for picking those devices.

Doubt Thor is screaming "They came after us! Let's thumb down the video!" Nah, that cat was smart enough to use other products as his daily driver (and I believe he was smart enough to do it without downloading a scary virus).

Understanding (and respecting) the competition is the reason RIM has an opportunity to thrive now.
    Doesn't he also own a sgs3? I wish more people here would follow his lea and actually use the device they are so fond of trashing.

I have jawbone shards coming out of my gums ! from using Tapatalk.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-20-13 11:22 PM
    Android is a hackers heaven for any type of security threat. I'd make a payment with an iOS device (when they implement NFC, ofcourse) before making a payment on Android. And it's not the fact that I don't trust myself to install malicious software that will potentially harm my device, it's the lack of security to begin with. I mean, even Windows stock OS comes with some sort of basic security.
    I've online banked with my android devices for years. Never had an issue once there is more widespread NFC where I am I would not hesitate to use it with my sgs3. This spyware/security drum that keeps getting beaten is getting tiresome. As far as "you need antivirus oh noes!" I had antivirus on my BB devices too. Only ones I never had antivirus on is my palm Pre and iPhone. And I haven't had an antivirus on my sgs3 in months because I'm not stupid enough to download untrustworthy apps.

I have jawbone shards coming out of my gums ! from using Tapatalk.
    01-20-13 11:26 PM
    It's an attack on the old legacy OS... I don't think they're scared, they are letting businesses that still use os5,6,7 know that there are better options (in their eyes) out there.
    -MartyMcfly

Maybe, Marty, but I don't think it's coincidence that BB10 launch is imminent. They've had a long time to sell the message you suggest, and no one has needed a commercial to let them know that their legacy BBs were being outshined.

I think it's an attempt to reinforce public perception of what a BlackBerry is in advance of RIM re-entering the field with a truly competitive product.
    01-20-13 11:27 PM
    samsung went after the high end market, the low/mid end market, dabbled in windows phone for those who don't like android. it's really no surprise that they are after the business segment now.

very impressive really. they literally came out of nowhere to become the market leader.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Admorris and BergerKing like this.
    01-20-13 11:57 PM
    Exactly! When Samsung belittled Apple then it made sense because Apple is so big. But now, people will question why Samsung is belittling little old Blackberry......... maybe Blackberry isn't so little or so old anymore!!
    Exactly! Rule n.1 : never pay much attention to challengers if you are a leader, else they get associated to your image and progress in public opinion.
    I didn't expect the world's leader n.1 doing it, what they did: they basically showed off that BB is their competitor, hence we conclude that BB can compete with the world's leader.
    Good for Rim, what a present for launch!!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 12:05 AM
    0:46..... The clock says 4:20... Those sneaky sneaky stoners

Soo...What I get from this commercial is. IF I want my employees watching games while working & getting stoned, I should give them Samsung phones.

Becuase distracted, stoned, employees make for very productive employees
    01-21-13 12:50 AM
    true, but the general public does not,,, w/ any sucessful marketing campaign, you need to get the attention of the public masses,,, Rim can't rely on what SOME people already know,,, the need to get the info out to those that don't...
    Good point. The general public/consumer doesn't think about security.
    I think this commercial will get people thinking about security, and when they start doing some research they will head straight to BlackBerry.
    Thanks Samsung!
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-21-13 01:09 AM
    This was on my G+ page today from Samsung. Thought the it would go over well here (he says tongue firmly planted in cheek...).

I got a laugh out of it and I believe anyone who understands this would get a chuckle as well - posted in that spirit so please take it that way. These commercials have worked well for Sammy in their war against Apple, will they work now against RIM? My feeling is not because this is intended for a different clientele, and you still have to get past the IT Admin as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=5fcUf4d-Y3s
    Sooo, two takeaways from that ad--which, btw, was horribly edited and was frequently hard to follow: 1) Samsung still views BlackBerry as a threat and 2) they're not above taking cheap shots.

What I like about this is the ad actually raises BlackBerry profile, even if it's unflattering. It reminds people about "old" Blackberry. Which is great, considering that RIM is about to blow those perceptions away.
    Last edited by Thunderbuck; 01-21-13 at 02:51 AM.
    Jake Storm, BergerKing and jakie55 like this.
    01-21-13 01:35 AM
    Funny thing is they won't be able to show the same commercial in 10 days, pity.
    In ten days most folks still will not have a BB10 phone.
    Most/all BB users will still have the legacy phones.
    So the spot will still be usable for sometime yet.

This spot was just a small poke in RIMs eye as I am sure Samsungs marketing budget is bigger than RIMs total operating budget right now.

You cannot hurt RIM any more than it has been to date.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-21-13 02:33 AM
    Having been in sales in several of my past careers, THE cardinal rule was to not directly attack a competitor, as it gives the competitor mind share, when you want the total attention of the client on your product. As Thunderbuck and others have mentioned, they have given BlackBerry power in this ad. Lets not worry about whether the information was accurate, because Samsung did not worry about that. What I got, other than confused about unicorn blood, was that BlackBerry and Samsung can be said in the same breath. I don't really think this is what Samsung was shooting for, however.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-21-13 03:34 AM
    0:46..... The clock says 4:20... Those sneaky sneaky stoners

Soo...What I get from this commercial is. IF I want my employees watching games while working & getting stoned, I should give them Samsung phones.

Becuase distracted, stoned, employees make for very productive employees
    Quick, call all these people's employers to report them for upcoming truancy and distraction in the workplace!

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...n-30th-762937/

I definitely think the commercial shows that they're taking BB as a serious competitor. When was the last time they took a jab at a competing product? Oh yeah, right before the iPhone 5 was released. There are a couple ways this can go: RIM fights fire with fire and singles Samsung out. I'd honestly like to see that. However, remember that competition breeds innovation. Perhaps with the advent of BB10, Samsung will honestly take a look at their own security qualifications and start coming up with their own solutions. And maybe they already have. It's not like they didn't know BB10 was coming. I guess we'll find out with the SGS4 announcement.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 01-21-13 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Typos
    BergerKing and jakie55 like this.
    01-21-13 04:37 AM
    Don't worry Samsung, I will buy your phone when I'm riding magical unicorns across rainbow valley, however, seeing as neither of those exist, my relationship with you won't exist either.
    Samsung sees the old ranger back in town, ready to claim what is his.
    There is going to be a showdown soon, and it ain't going to be pretty.
    Lehomer, BergerKing and Jake Storm like this.
    01-21-13 06:14 AM
    Pointless reply is pointless.

Business Insiders view of the commercial pretty much sumed up my opinion. I do feel they probably aimed for the wrong target demographic with that one. I cant imagine a board of directors meeting in a fortune 500 company deciding the future was with samsumg based on unicorns alone
    How about a fortune 500 company meeting based on two guys running around the country dj'ing?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-21-13 07:41 AM
    Samsung has made it very clear over the past year that they intend to go after the enterprise market.

No surprise to me.

This is minor compared to what Samsung will do if BB10 even shows a dim twinkle of success.

BB10 better walk on water or RIM may have simply invited themselves to a beating.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Admorris and BergerKing like this.
    01-21-13 08:10 AM
    SAFE and Android do not belong in the same sentence.
    01-21-13 08:19 AM
    SAFE and Android do not belong in the same sentence.
    There are more articles written about the potential for viruses on Android than there are actual documented cases of viruses on Android. Keep the lie going though! Sheesh

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-21-13 08:28 AM
    lol uh oh, the fanboys are really mad now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry wrong thread LMAO
    01-21-13 08:52 AM
    Just like the American and japanese car commercials say "more power then a bmw", "more safety then a mercedes", "faster then a porsche"....why is it that it's never been the other way around after all these years?? Why is that?? Year after year same things. "this is the m3 killer!!" comparing to others in commercials is not good. Samsung made a mistake. Belittling your enemy is one of the signs of weakness - sun tzu art of war
    I've said that more than a few times. When business A is calling business B a crook, selling inferior stuff, and the business B launches on A saying they use cheap labor and inferior parts, sooner or later the consumer goes, 'They're both dogs, lets go find someone that does this right.'

It's a crazy way to do business. Now Sammy is using a 'cute' approach, sometimes phunny, but they're jumping the shark on BB. They better hold on tight, because if they don't, they're gonna get chomped.
    Geeoff and Jake Storm like this.
    01-21-13 09:07 AM
    Thumbs up it, most of America thinks RIM is dead. If it's in an attack ad from Samsung than it must be alive and doing well.
    jakie55 and BergerKing like this.
    01-21-13 09:12 AM
256 ... 23456 ...