A commercial as cheap as the thin plastic housings Sammy is using for their flagships.

Seriously, I couldn't find any positive thing on that commercial. You got those two stereotypical BB users (that hardcore business guys as well as the older blonde who should retire anyways), acting either arrogant or simply outdated vs. those hip, trendy cool guys wielding their Notes around. So if you want to be creative and cool, get a Samsung. That is the only thing this commercial tells me.
    01-21-13 11:31 AM
    Yes it is bad to run more than 1 real time antivirus at the same time. Since not very familiar with android are the antivirus programs real time? If so shouldn't it have caught sexy girl without doing a manual scan?
    I'm honestly not familar with the app just labeled antivirus in that video, but I know that Lookout and the one I use, avg, are launched as soon as a new app finishes downloading. Perhaps both of those antivirus had already run their scan once sexy girl was downloaded from the market? I'm really not certain.

Also if anything, it's a warning for everyone no matter what platform one is using, to READ PERMISSIONS before downloading any apps. For all we know, the sexy girl app was granted acess to the phone's sms messages. For any app, if the permissions don't make sense then that's a big red flag.
    kbz1960 and southlander like this.
    01-21-13 11:36 AM
    Quick, call all these people's employers to report them for upcoming truancy and distraction in the workplace!

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...n-30th-762937/
    I did find that thread interesting considering the scorn heaped on Apple fans who line up for the phone and how they obviously don't 'do' if they have the time.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    01-21-13 11:38 AM
    Thanks for making my point. The article posted also made my point...there were no cases, just an article about how bad it could be. With hundreds of millions of android phones sold, you would think that someone could come up with an article showing an actual case of an android virus doing actual damage. Common sense goes a long long way in preventing viruses, whether you're using Apple, Android, Windows or BB.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Its more of the media getting people to live in fear. Thanks Fox news.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-21-13 11:42 AM
    I did find that thread interesting considering the scorn heaped on Apple fans who line up for the phone and how they obviously don't 'do' if they have the time.

A lot of things have changed. In that, Z10 is a true game-changer.

I've seen forumites who proclaimed how stupid SIRI is trumpet RIM's upcoming Voice Assistant, folks who called touchscreens unusable praise RIM's "heat mapping technology" and "innovative" keyboard, and have also witnessed those that said "use the browser" rejoice about 100K apps.

It's downright different.
    01-21-13 11:45 AM
    A lot of things have changed. In that, Z10 is a true game-changer.

I've seen forumites who proclaimed how stupid SIRI is trumpet RIM's upcoming Voice Assistant, folks who called touchscreens unusable praise RIM's "heat mapping technology" and "innovative" keyboard, and have also witnessed those that said "use the browser" rejoice about 100K apps.

It's downright different.
    Oh I've seen that come and go on all sides of fanboyism of all devices over the years. It's sucks if my platform doesn't have it but all of a suddenly great when it does. Go figure.
    01-21-13 11:49 AM
    Oh I've seen that come and go on all sides of fanboyism of all devices over the years. It's sucks if my platform doesn't have it but all of a suddenly great when it does. Go figure.
    Very true. Let's just enjoy the ride. It seems a bit more hopeful in here with the upcoming launch.
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-21-13 11:56 AM
    Would be nice to see an ad about Samsung's state of the art " Exynos quad core security holes" in their "Flagship" Note ll and Galaxy S3
    This 'security hole' only affected the European models and was already fixed. NA models weren't affected. It's on par with the BB java exploit.

The biggest security risk is the user. Wasn't there a thread last summer about bank execs clicking a link sent from an unknown BBM and it lead to accounts being drained? I remember reading that thread and again the end result was the simple fact that the biggest threat to mobile security is the stupidity of the end user.

01-21-13 12:02 PM
    Very true. Let's just enjoy the ride. It seems a bit more hopeful in here with the upcoming launch.
    For sure. I confess too, I've been one of the it sucks (since I don't have it) and when it did come it's great LOL

I'm trying to grow up
    01-21-13 12:04 PM
    This 'security hole' only affected the European models and was already fixed. NA models weren't affected. It's on par with the BB java exploit.

The biggest security risk is the user. Wasn't there a thread last summer about bank execs clicking a link sent from an unknown BBM and it lead to accounts being drained? I remember reading that thread and again the end result was the simple fact that the biggest threat to mobile security is the stupidity of the end user.

+50,000

And I think it goes to show that with so few ACTUAL REAL WORLD cases of malware/viruses affecting Android handsets despite having a huge marketshare, and also despite the amount of apps that can be sideloaded from questionable sources (again, not condoning this), the Android userbase is pretty dang smart.

ETA: It's also relevant that phishing scams can come from ANYWHERE. I almost fell for one on twitter. It came from one of my friends with the message along the lines of "LOL what were you doing in this video?" and a link that LOOKED like it came from facebook. I was a couple seconds away from clicking it before I wised up and sent my friend a message to change his password.
    kbz1960 and BergerKing like this.
    01-21-13 12:05 PM
    For sure. I confess too, I've been one of the it sucks (since I don't have it) and when it did come it's great LOL

I'm trying to grow up
    *sniffle* Little buzzie is growing up so fast!
    kbz1960 and BergerKing like this.
    01-21-13 12:06 PM

I'm trying to grow up
    LOL. You should have heard me make fun of Skype on mobile. it was stupid. Till I got it.
    01-21-13 12:07 PM
    A commercial as cheap as the thin plastic housings Sammy is using for their flagships.

Seriously, I couldn't find any positive thing on that commercial. You got those two stereotypical BB users (that hardcore business guys as well as the older blonde who should retire anyways), acting either arrogant or simply outdated vs. those hip, trendy cool guys wielding their Notes around. So if you want to be creative and cool, get a Samsung. That is the only thing this commercial tells me.
    And the problem with that aspect of the message is that the "hip, trendy, cool guys" who are "creative and cool" are scrambling to make throw together an incredibly useless game called Unicorn Apocalypse and they have no idea what they're doing. If that's the kind of "enterprise" Samsung wants to portray as relying their products, well....
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-21-13 12:18 PM
    At least we got to see a BlackBerry in a national ad in the US....
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-21-13 12:24 PM
    *sniffle* Little buzzie is growing up so fast!
    LOL
    01-21-13 12:24 PM
    The same exynos chips with as much holes as swiss chesse.

Samsung admits smartphone chip vulnerability, working to fix — Tech News and Analysis
    Samsung pledges quick fix for Exynos security issue | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

Yeah those old legacy devices still do security better than rest including the first class recorded delivery envelope size phones.Yeah go ahead you sell that samsung security few more chips to expoit.This typical case of a young buck new in the game running around shooting at mouth.Poor copysome no ones talking about you anymore.I said it before their whole operation stank of short term hustle ''get it while they can'' poor stunts like this and the bbm does'nt make you cool just gave rim publicity thanks.They are running scared they're quickly made a schedule to release an S4 in Q1 when Rim said they were gonna drop.They know RIM has an actual REAL fanbase it was'nt just ''trending'' because iorange5 sucked.Young bucks arrogance this is the year they should be making sure the fanbase is real and not just people bored of what was out.And they go pull this stunt when Rim about to showcase yeah young bucks.Thanks for he spotlight RIm dont even have to pay for marketing anymore.
    01-21-13 12:29 PM
    At least we got to see a BlackBerry in a national ad in the US....
    LOL
    BergerKing, aniym and convenor like this.
    01-21-13 12:31 PM
    And the problem with that aspect of the message is that the "hip, trendy, cool guys" who are "creative and cool" are scrambling to make throw together an incredibly useless game called Unicorn Apocalypse and they have no idea what they're doing. If that's the kind of "enterprise" Samsung wants to portray as relying their products, well....
    That might've been the point, though. To make them seem as bumbling and clueless as possible (for example, the "do we want the unicorns to cause the apocolypse or save people from the apocolypse?" line), and the idea is that using Samsung products will make these vague ideas come to life. I know from experience that when one is in a collaborative group the early stages of a project can look just like that with everyone having their own ideas of the project direction, project scope, etc.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-21-13 12:32 PM
    That might've been the point, though. To make them seem as bumbling and clueless as possible (for example, the "do we want the unicorns to cause the apocolypse or save people from the apocolypse?" line), and the idea is that using Samsung products will make these vague ideas come to life. I know from experience that when one is in a collaborative group the early stages of a project can look just like that with everyone having their own ideas of the project direction, project scope, etc.
    Good point...but that just wasn't my first impression.

I do agree with the other sentiments in the thread that Samsung is potentially making quite a misstep by acknowledging RIM as a competitor ahead of the BB10 launch.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-21-13 12:43 PM
    With security, I will use the old acronym PEBCAK, "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair". You want to be semi-secure for these people? Lock down the device so only company approved programs can be install, Limit access to admin functions on the OS, restrict the device to only have access to company internet, intranet sites, and mail servers. (prevent phishing attacks), encrypt all data, require the user to use long passphrase instead of passwords, which is still bad IMHO. Require these passwords/passphrases to be changed every 30 days. I'm sure I have missed a ton of things but, I haven't had my coffee yet.
    01-21-13 12:49 PM
    I think these ads are for for building Internet publicity more than anything else. Samsung advertises the Galaxy Note 2 as a business-friendly phone in magazines like Forbes, Bloomberg Businessweek and Information Week.

The print ads are much more conservative as they are focused on a pretty specific audience. no mention of RIM or other competitors, just a focus on the enterprise capabilities of the phone.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    01-21-13 12:54 PM
    Good point...but that just wasn't my first impression.

I do agree with the other sentiments in the thread that Samsung is potentially making quite a misstep by acknowledging RIM as a competitor ahead of the BB10 launch.
    Samsung only had two options: 1) acknowledge them as a competitor ahead of the BB10 launch, or 2) acknowledging them as a competitor after the BB10 launch. Either way, it shows that they're taking BB10 very, very seriously (as they should). But at least coming out with this commercial before the BB10 launch is painting Samsung in a proactive light rather than a reactive light, just like they launched their commercial mocking people waiting for the iPhone5 ahead of that device's actual release.
    01-21-13 01:02 PM

As I recall the Samsung Apple ad was more about making fun of the culture of the users. Yeah they talked about a bigger screen and the tap transfer of playlists -- tangible features. But it was overall mocking the hipster culture.

This ad is making a more concrete assertion to me. It is saying Samsung phones are as secure as BlackBerrys or at least secure enough.

Fortunately this will be tested. RIM will have the top BYOD feature with BB Balance. And Mobile Fusion looks good. Corporations that count on all this stuff will be voting with their checkbooks. We'll see how it works out.
    01-21-13 01:13 PM
    I saw a version of this ad during football, but I don't think it had all of the BB related scenes in it.
    01-21-13 02:03 PM
    Samsung only had two options: 1) acknowledge them as a competitor ahead of the BB10 launch, or 2) acknowledging them as a competitor after the BB10 launch. Either way, it shows that they're taking BB10 very, very seriously (as they should). But at least coming out with this commercial before the BB10 launch is painting Samsung in a proactive light rather than a reactive light, just like they launched their commercial mocking people waiting for the iPhone5 ahead of that device's actual release.
    Very true on the proactive approach...
    01-21-13 02:13 PM
256 ... 45678 ...