There are more articles written about the potential for viruses on Android than there are actual documented cases of viruses on Android. Keep the lie going though! Sheesh

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry, was that a joke?
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-21-13 09:18 AM
    There are more articles written about the potential for viruses on Android than there are actual documented cases of viruses on Android. Keep the lie going though! Sheesh

Let's just take one of many examples

Android is under attack: New malware threats tripled in Q2 | BGR
    01-21-13 09:19 AM
    Normally I like Samsung commercials but this one was kind of - all over the map.
    01-21-13 09:23 AM
    i like samsung.. and i don't hate em for taking a hit at BB.. why?
    1) It means they think BB does have the enterprise market
    2) BB is still relevant
    3) Android still doens't have the multitasking that BB has
    4) Samsung doesn't have FIPS security certification...

but it is funny .. just not as funny as the samsung attacking apple commercials are. and they are targeting OLD BB... not new ones
    While several of these statements are on cue, the point on multitasking is incorrect. I'm a BB guy using a Galaxy SIII, and for multitasking it is right up there. Available apps accessed the same way, brief hold of a home key. Apps used are lined up vertically or horizontally whichever aspect you are using, and when you select, you're right back where you left off.

I was able to retrieve this and post it in about five seconds without having to leave using multitasking. It works well, have no doubt about it.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 01-21-13 at 09:58 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-21-13 09:27 AM

Perception is key. If there is a perceived issue, then it 'creates' one in the mob. You could probably trace back the original Android is buggy/virus/malware ridden to one of its rivals, just good luck making people believing you.
    01-21-13 09:28 AM
    Right. This is about new threats, not actual cases. YES, threats are absolutely out there for Android devices, as are malware, viruses, trojans, etc for Windows PCs. How many people touting the pitchforks against the malware threats on Android use a Windows PC? With both Android and Windows, a little common sense goes a long way in keeping your devices safe. Don't download apps that don't have the editor's choice or top developer distinctions in the Play Store. Don't sideload apps that aren't found in the Play Store. READ PERMISSIONS. Don't fall for phishing scams. Don't leave your wifi unsecured. Use an antivirus when you download anything (I have avg mobile on mine, and it automatically scans anything I put on my phone whether it's an app or a pdf file I grab from the net). Again, common sense that should be taken no matter what device you're using.
    Admorris, Rickroller and Drew808 like this.
    01-21-13 09:30 AM
    I was never going to bring this up because it was just a weird dream but anyways a few months ago I had a dream that featured Darth Vader. He was bashing apples with a sledge hammer, breaking the legs of ginger bread men, melting an ice cream sandwich, bashing a jelly bean android and throwing rocks through windows. I was just starting to read all kinds of info on mobile nations and other sites when I had this dream which I know is a poor excuse. With that said, I think it's pretty strange to have dreams like that lol. I blame it on all the rimpire strikes back avatars.
    01-21-13 09:39 AM
    I found it quite amusing.

Yes, Im about business, so I still use my Blackberry. If I want to play with unicorns, I'll buy a Samsung

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    I play with unicorns on my galaxy S3 but then my boss calls my 9300 to yell at me for not working.
    01-21-13 09:54 AM
    In advertising, anything goes. If you're gong to take a slam, it has to be clever. My favorite of the Samsung ad so far is the wife and kids seeing the husband off in a cab for a business trip. She taps his phone to send him a video that she says he probably shouldn't watch on the plane. Simple, brief, humorous message that sticks with you. The iPhone 5 spoof ad is also very funny because they keep hitting on point aftre point in a humorous manner and they leave the viewer with a number of funny takeaway lines.

My problem with this commercial is that there are not enough funny takeaway lines that subtly make the point. The only takeaway one-liner I got here was the (obviously) older woman saying "Don't mess with my system". That made me chuckle, but I think Samsung missed the boat on this one. I also think it was a mistake for Samsung to knock 'legacy' BlackBerrys given that RIM is probably going to showcase all that you couldn't previously do on a Blackberry.

But the bottom line here is that the only bad publicity is no publicity at all. I haven't seen any Sammy ads knocking WP8 after all.
    01-21-13 09:54 AM
    Right. This is about new threats, not actual cases. YES, threats are absolutely out there for Android devices, as are malware, viruses, trojans, etc for Windows PCs. How many people touting the pitchforks against the malware threats on Android use a Windows PC? With both Android and Windows, a little common sense goes a long way in keeping your devices safe. Don't download apps that don't have the editor's choice or top developer distinctions in the Play Store. Don't sideload apps that aren't found in the Play Store. READ PERMISSIONS. Don't fall for phishing scams. Don't leave your wifi unsecured. Use an antivirus when you download anything (I have avg mobile on mine, and it automatically scans anything I put on my phone whether it's an app or a pdf file I grab from the net). Again, common sense that should be taken no matter what device you're using.
    Thanks for making my point. The article posted also made my point...there were no cases, just an article about how bad it could be. With hundreds of millions of android phones sold, you would think that someone could come up with an article showing an actual case of an android virus doing actual damage. Common sense goes a long long way in preventing viruses, whether you're using Apple, Android, Windows or BB.

01-21-13 10:05 AM
    Does not ring true. What young gaming start up would be using traditional BlackBerrys?
    01-21-13 10:05 AM
    How about a fortune 500 company meeting based on two guys running around the country dj'ing?

I always thought that was the oddest choice to use their "tools not toys" tagline. The commercial showed them taking pics with their fans and uploading them to twitter, something that any smartphone (and even some dumphones) can do. Other BB commercials showed a lot more having to do with collaboration with clients, colleagues, etc where the "tools not toys" line would've had a bigger impact. I'm still trying to piece together the message of the Torch commercial showing business execs riding teacups. I'm POSITIVE the BB10 marketing team will take advertising up a notch or three or four.
    01-21-13 10:08 AM
    the ad is full of lame hipsters who think their coolness is based on the device they use. android sucks, apple sucks, samsung sucks.
    01-21-13 10:10 AM
    FYI android has some serious malware concerns.. and just extremely far from being "business safe"....
    In fairness, Samsung has a phone and a tablet (the GSII and the GTab 10.1) that has the very same FIPS certs that BB has. They 'can' make Android that secure. What I haven't understood is why more don't. Sammy knows how to do it after getting these done, why haven't they done it for the recent hardware. My mind tells me that Samsung didn't get much if any uptake on this and just decided the costs involved were not meriting the added value sales. I guess they feel "SAFE" is enough to get them in the Corporate door. We have a lot of IT Admins here - what say you?
    01-21-13 10:11 AM
    Bad move by Samsung if RIM were to play off it correctly. RIM's response could show BlackBerry Balance in action and show the correct fully thought out way to handle the two phone syndrome.
    01-21-13 10:15 AM
    Let me correct

Samsung Galaxy Note II does not have FIPS.. only S Galaxy SII and Galaxy Tab 10.1

go to galaxyatwork.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=as9-rA1b1As

What would you do without BBM ?

Easy use chat on or Facebook Messenger.. God Dammit Samsung! I thought you were serious!
    Correct about FIPS - only those 2. I really thought with the popularity of the GSIII they would get it quickly certified for FIPS considering they now had experience with GSII but that hasn't happened and I guess sales were not what they had hoped for the FIPS cert devices.

As to BBM, folks here call Sammy a copy machine and here they are right. Samsung have "ChatOn", it's another of the less than successful BBM clones - but it has been made for iOS, and suprise surprise - it's in BB World as well.
    01-21-13 10:23 AM
    In fairness, Samsung has a phone and a tablet (the GSII and the GTab 10.1) that has the very same FIPS certs that BB has. They 'can' make Android that secure. What I haven't understood is why more don't. Sammy knows how to do it after getting these done, why haven't they done it for the recent hardware. My mind tells me that Samsung didn't get much if any uptake on this and just decided the costs involved were not meriting the added value sales. I guess they feel "SAFE" is enough to get them in the Corporate door. We have a lot of IT Admins here - what say you?
    I think what the two current titans (Apple and Samsung) have accomplished is to inadvertently stumble backwards into Enterprise. They haven't needed Enterprise of yet; they have focused on the consumer end, and it has paid off handsomely. So, for them, Enterprise is not top priority. Concurrently, their success on the consumer end has allowed those same consumers to push for those devices at work.

Enterprise users are consumers first, after all.

So I agree... I think Samsung can get the FIPS certs for the SG3, but it doesn't really care to, due to perceived ROI.
    01-21-13 10:30 AM
    Samsung does on select devices.
    oh nice..guess i shoulda done my research...thanks for the info.
    Tre Lawrence and BergerKing like this.
    01-21-13 10:32 AM
    Thanks for making my point. The article posted also made my point...there were no cases, just an article about how bad it could be. With hundreds of millions of android phones sold, you would think that someone could come up with an article showing an actual case of an android virus doing actual damage. Common sense goes a long long way in preventing viruses, whether you're using Apple, Android, Windows or BB.

Not that it shows doing damage but does show the user or any can find something cool and there it is.

01-21-13 10:38 AM
    Also shows, just like with windows, it's up to the user to not go there.

01-21-13 10:43 AM
    Would be nice to see an ad about Samsung's state of the art " Exynos quad core security holes" in their "Flagship" Note ll and Galaxy S3
    01-21-13 10:52 AM
    It looks like Samsung is turning its ad machine against a new competitor: RIM.

In a new ad that aired during the NFC Championship game Sunday night, Samsung promoted its Galaxy Note II smartphone as "the next big thing for business" and made fun of BlackBerry phones in the process.

The ad shows an office team working on developing a game called Unicorn Apocalypse on a tight deadline. At the same time, the team is told they can finally use any smartphone they want at work. That's when the real battle starts. Most in the office switch to using Samsung's phablet while, but a handful of holdouts have trouble ditching the BlackBerry device they've always used at work, worried about whether Samsung's phones are as secure or useful.

SEE ALSO: Samsung Galaxy Note II: A Giant Phone That Grows on You [REVIEW]

Samsung uses the ad to debunk these concerns while poking fun at the BlackBerry users. One woman in the office says she has always relied on a "system" of using a BlackBerry at work and another smartphone at home. When another employee suggests she can just use a single Samsung phone instead, the woman says sternly, "Respect my system."

--In recent months, Samsung has mainly targeted Apple with its print and TV ads. Perhaps RIM should take this as a compliment. After months of being written off by many, RIM is finally set to unveil its BlackBerry 10 products later this month. Given the timing of the ad, it appears that Samsung, a market leader, views this as enough of a potential threat to merit advertising against.

Congratulations, RIM: Samsung thinks you're a competitor again.--

http://mashable.com/2013/01/21/samsung-blackberry-ad/
    01-21-13 11:08 AM
    Not that it shows doing damage but does show the user or any can find something cool and there it is.

Very, very interesting. This is why you don't download apps called Sexy Girl . Also, I wonder if having multiple anti-viruses on Android causes problems just like on a PC, especially when finding threats. For example: is it bad to run multiple antivirus programs?

I think it's a good thing for ALL platforms to have hackers that are working FOR the platform (or at least in its best interest) to expose security issues so that patches can be developed asap. It's why there was a vulerability found in the BlackBerry webkit browser, too: KB30152-BSRT-2012-002 Vulnerability in WebKit browser engine impacts BlackBerry 6, BlackBerry 7, BlackBerry 7.1, and BlackBerry PlayBook tablet software
    01-21-13 11:13 AM
    I had an opportunity to speak to an anti-virus company exec off-the record. His remarks (and choice of device) were very telling.
    01-21-13 11:23 AM
    Very, very interesting. This is why you don't download apps called Sexy Girl . Also, I wonder if having multiple anti-viruses on Android causes problems just like on a PC, especially when finding threats. For example: is it bad to run multiple antivirus programs?

I think it's a good thing for ALL platforms to have hackers that are working FOR the platform (or at least in its best interest) to expose security issues so that patches can be developed asap. It's why there was a vulerability found in the BlackBerry webkit browser, too: KB30152-BSRT-2012-002 Vulnerability in WebKit browser engine impacts BlackBerry 6, BlackBerry 7, BlackBerry 7.1, and BlackBerry PlayBook tablet software
    Yes it is bad to run more than 1 real time antivirus at the same time. Since not very familiar with android are the antivirus programs real time? If so shouldn't it have caught sexy girl without doing a manual scan?
    01-21-13 11:28 AM
256 ... 34567 ...