And that's why online shopping is better.
    Check products in the shop, then purchase online. Cheap as well. No 'sorry sir.we don't carry it, check this one instead' issues

scrapmetal58 likes this.
    05-05-14 06:16 AM
    Things are slowly changing. Rogers as we all know went anti BlackBerry and our long standing corporate Rogers rep recommended us dropping BlackBerry and going windows. Literally I was shocked and disappointed in Rogers. However as time goes on, things are changing. I was in the store the other day to pick up 3 more z30 units. He was setting up a q10 for another customer, but engaged a conversation on the z30. He was asking specifics about the device and had a positive outlook towards BlackBerry. Not sure why, but I take it it's because BB10 devices are starting to raise some eyebrows so to speak.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 06:28 AM
    Great to hear, if only it was everywhere.
    05-05-14 06:31 AM
    Sounds like the guy educates himself about the industry. I agree that is rare. Maybe 1 in 10 do so.

But there are many good salespeople out there who do a needs analysis and then make a recommendation. We just don't hear about it on CB forums because it would make for an uninteresting thread.
    05-05-14 06:51 AM
    Please take the time to commend him to his management staff. It would be a just reward for his efforts and hopefully encourage his co workers.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 09:12 AM
    wonderful story there! it doesn't hurt to do some research first when selling a product, well unless sales people would like to make their selves look stupid. That story says what true customer care is...it isn't just about the product, it's primarily the customer.
    05-05-14 09:28 AM
    FANTASTIC! .. Alright.. so that makes .. 1. Let's go for #2.. C'mon #2 !!
    05-05-14 07:27 PM
    You basically described a blackberry to him and he answered with blackberry. What else was he going to suggest? Sorry to bring this thread down lol.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    deezy87 and shief24 like this.
    05-05-14 09:21 PM
    iPhone hardware, Blackberry OS7 email BIS.
    05-06-14 12:53 AM
    the salesperson asked me what were my priorities. I answered proven reliability, dead solid security and more than anything else, email that is second to none (I get hundreds of theses thins things a day and 75% of them are actionable.)

After pondering a bit he asked if I was a touch screen or physical keyboard person (fancy that) and I answered keyboard.

Long and short, the guy recommended based purely on my stated needs the BlackBerry Q10.
    You basically described a blackberry to him and he answered with blackberry. What else was he going to suggest? Sorry to bring this thread down lol.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    What other device these days has a physical keyboard? I don't count sliders as keyboard devices. AG described a BlackBerry to the salesman, more or less.
    05-06-14 03:15 AM
    Very nice to hear about a well informed sales person. Our local Worst Buy doesn't seem to even carry BlackBerry at all.
    05-06-14 04:17 AM
    Things are slowly changing. Rogers as we all know went anti BlackBerry and our long standing corporate Rogers rep recommended us dropping BlackBerry and going windows. Literally I was shocked and disappointed in Rogers. However as time goes on, things are changing. I was in the store the other day to pick up 3 more z30 units. He was setting up a q10 for another customer, but engaged a conversation on the z30. He was asking specifics about the device and had a positive outlook towards BlackBerry. Not sure why, but I take it it's because BB10 devices are starting to raise some eyebrows so to speak.

Posted via CB10
    I think the difference in attitude is due to the following 2 points.
    1. Not long ago the public perception was that BlackBerry was about to be sold and dismantled. With CEO Chen taking over and committing to the company, that perception has slowly started to change.

2. In some markets, eg. Toronto, Vancouver, and last week during a trip to New York City, I have begun to see more and more BB10 devices in the wild.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    05-06-14 04:29 AM
    Hope OP really considers the Q10 might just be what he needed to be more efficient at work.

And props to the salesman for knowing his stuff.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 04:54 AM
    That is part of the point...

AG asked for a device that would meet his needs, and BlackBerry was the suggestion from the salesperson. Many peoples experience has been when the asked for a BlackBerry by NAME, it got brushed aside as useless. This guy saw it's value and that AG's needs would be fit by it.
    shief24 likes this.
    05-06-14 07:23 AM
    Please take the time to commend him to his management staff. It would be a just reward for his efforts and hopefully encourage his co workers.

Posted via CB10
    This.

I appreciate when someone tells me about something good a member of my staff has done, so I can pass along the kudos and get them a service reward.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-06-14 07:25 AM
    I went into an AT&T store to switch over my phone back to the Q10 from previously using an iPhone, and usually when the salespeople start asking me questions as to why I'm needing a new SIM card they give me weird looks when I hand them the BlackBerry and tell them I want to use this phone, but I had this one sales lady who when I handed the phone to her to switch over my SIM she just said, "I love this phone," and then went on talking about all the things she loved about it while setting up my SIM. It made me smile and surprised me a little bit as well.

Recently I've had a lot of salespeople at AT&T comment on how much they missed their BlackBerries when I go into the store with the Q10 in hand. Like, c'mon people, nobody is pointing a gun at your head and making you use an Android/iPhone! Lol. I just find it funny.
    05-06-14 01:58 PM
    Matt, that kid was great. He didn't try selling me anything except what I needed. Now, in all fairness, I am probably going to go legacy (9780) but I really appreciated that he was able to discern what was best for his customer as an individual.
    Great story, AG. It truly is encouraging to know there are at least a few out there who are genuinely concerned with matching a device to the customers' needs.
    05-06-14 05:15 PM
    Sounds like the guy educates himself about the industry. I agree that is rare. Maybe 1 in 10 do so.

But there are many good salespeople out there who do a needs analysis and then make a recommendation. We just don't hear about it on CB forums because it would make for an uninteresting thread.
    Great story AG, thanks for sharing, and good to hear.

Funny that no one is willing to dismiss this story as fake or a conspiracy when it swings pro-BlackBerry? Odd. But there have been many threads where the OP was told "BlackBerry is dead", etc... and the responses at times verged on the hysterical, let's not forget that.

My own personal carrier story involves my Dad (and the sales rep was a great guy). Friendly, and knew his stuff. BUT, when it came time to pick the phone and my Dad said he wanted a BlackBerry Z10, the rep quickly pulled out his HTC ONE and started to give us a sales pitch... I interrupted him and said No, we're going with the Z10, and he immediately stopped the sales pitch and all was good. But I'd like to point out that it was an unprompted pitch after we had specifically asked for a BlackBerry. AND, we had already specified the mobile plan.

So, it does happen the other way folks. Remember that the next time someone posts a carrier story where the rep tried to sway them from BlackBerry to another platform and the usual suspects on this forum react with sarcasm and snarkiness.
    reeneebob and JesseBabe23 like this.
    05-06-14 06:33 PM
    Loving this thread! I know AG did the right thing, but based on some comments I read, I'd just like to add a sales perspective.....

Typically a salesman makes nothing advising potential customers, we're pure commission. So please, if you can't do the research yourself, at least have the decency to pay the higher amount and buy from the salesman who helped you, before we all disappear like the dinosaurs. Thank you
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-07-14 04:54 PM
44 12