While it would seem foolish to some that RIM focuses on security, the fact is it's their bread and butter. When they lost focus, and tried to be equal parts consumer and business, that's when they started to slide downhill. I'm not suggesting they abandon the consumer market now, don't get me wrong. It's absolutely necessary for their success, but they must have security placed as job #1. It's that principle that helped bring me to BlackBerry as a non-business user, and part of what keeps me here.
    I agree security should be their priority but one can argue that not focusing enough on the consumer part has cost them. For instance, blackberry still remains the standard for mobile security and corporate communication but that hasn't prevented them from losing market share, stock plummeting and now massive layoffs. Focusing on the corporate and government is not going to keep RIM. If that's the case they wouldn't be where they are now. They are where they are now because they ignored the consumer market for too long. BES will help them sustain being a profitable company but it won't make them the dominate company that they once were.
    07-28-11 10:32 AM
    I no longer have BIS. Why should I or anyone without BIS looking to get a tablet device buy a PB? Just because it looks promising or has potential doesn't equal success at the cash register, then again you can try to explain that to the share holder who has taken an enormous money loss. As for the iPad its a few weeks on back order, how about the PB? RIM should be more concerned in selling a couple of million PB's instead of a couple of thousands to governments, it's a flop. RIM apologists......

Again why should I buy a PB?
    So RIM should ignore it's enterprise business and just focus on consumers I sure am glad you don't work there.

Why would you need BIS to use the Playbook :S, I am sure a ton of people who have bought it don't have BIS, and it still functions perfectly fine for them. I am not apologizing for anything.

You should buy a PB if you:
    - want to have a browser that supports Adobe Flash (iPad can't do that)
    - want true multitasking (iPad can't do that)
    - have a BB and would like to seamlessly integrate it with your PB
    - want to have top of the line security (iPad doesn't have that either )
    - don't want to use iTunes (iPad can't do that)
    - don't want to use proprietary adapters (iPad can't do that)
    - want a smaller form factor (iPad can't do that)
    - want a crisper screen (169 dpi vs 132)
    - want a decent pair of cameras (iPad doesn't have that)
    - want a decent pair of speakers (iPad has one... on the back... where most people hold it)

Well, I should stop there before I start really ripping into the iPad, and cause a huge fight. Notice that I did not ask you why I should buy an iPad, so don't feel like you need to preach some Apple gospel to me. Thanks

To address the lack of an email app on the PB. I may be a little lost. I can see where the desire for an Outlook like app would have interest, but it does have a fine working browser, so accessing email on it isn't impossible. I never used pop3 on my PC anyway, so I wouldn't have cared in the least. You can pull your mail from the browser can't you?
    I believe that this lack of native email app has to do with your previous point that RIM can't alienate its enterprise and government business. That is why they stressed their bridge. That the emails would not be kept on the Playbook, which was at that time not certified, and would instead by kept on the certified safe handset. This would allow RIM to sell its Playbook to enterprises. Now that it is certified, I think (hope) we will see the email app soon
    Last edited by 01itr; 07-28-11 at 10:40 AM.
    ibigberries likes this.
    07-28-11 10:36 AM
    It was lack of hardware improvement that lost share more than anything, in my opinion. That their fixing now. The internals have been stagnant for way too long. Once they've caught up with processors, while keeping the battery life second to none, it will be QNX, allowing software developers a friendly environment that makes them take off again.

About the layoffs. That's nothing out of the ordinary for a company trying to revitalize. They had a lot of dead weight drawing a check, and need to make room for innovators. Looking at their income, I don't think you can point to stock prices as the reason people have lost their jobs.
    07-28-11 10:41 AM
    About the layoffs. That's nothing out of the ordinary for a company trying to revitalize. They had a lot of dead weight drawing a check, and need to make room for innovators. Looking at their income, I don't think you can point to stock prices as the reason people have lost their jobs.
    Something people fail to realize is that RIM had ~17,000 employees in February 2011. They had ~19,000 at the time of layoffs. So now RIM is back to the number of number of employees that they had in February. The media is just blowing it way out of proportion.

Apple did the same thing when their stock was at $3/share. This is only good news for RIM, they are "trimming the fat" and become a leaner, more focused company.
    07-28-11 10:45 AM
    One last point. While I can see a day soon, when RIM and the carriers all offer an opt out of BIS, I doubt we'll ever see a day when RIM makes that a feature. I can see some 3rd party apps coming out, that make pull mail possible though.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    07-28-11 10:51 AM
    So RIM should ignore it's enterprise business and just focus on consumers I sure am glad you don't work there.

Why would you need BIS to use the Playbook :S, I am sure a ton of people who have bought it don't have BIS, and it still functions perfectly fine for them. I am not apologizing for anything.

You should buy a PB if you:
    - want to have a browser that supports Adobe Flash (iPad can't do that)
    - want true multitasking (iPad can't do that)
    - have a BB and would like to seamlessly integrate it with your PB
    - want to have top of the line security (iPad doesn't have that either )
    - don't want to use iTunes (iPad can't do that)
    - don't want to use proprietary adapters (iPad can't do that)
    - want a smaller form factor (iPad can't do that)
    - want a crisper screen (169 dpi vs 132)
    - want a decent pair of cameras (iPad doesn't have that)
    - want a decent pair of speakers (iPad has one... on the back... where most people hold it)

Well, I should stop there before I start really ripping into the iPad, and cause a huge fight. Notice that I did not ask you why I should buy an iPad, so don't feel like you need to preach some Apple gospel to me. Thanks

I believe that this lack of native email app has to do with your previous point that RIM can't alienate its enterprise and government business. That is why they stressed their bridge. That the emails would not be kept on the Playbook, which was at that time not certified, and would instead by kept on the certified safe handset. This would allow RIM to sell its Playbook to enterprises. Now that it is certified, I think (hope) we will see the email app soon
    You initially brought iPad into this discussion not me. Funny thing is that I have a Samsung Galaxy S tablet, for the same reasons you listed I didn't get an iPad. I'm still not sold on the PB.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-28-11 12:01 PM
    The update with Russian language support really helps this case! This can demonstrate the security potential of the playbook to other governments and potentially generate a large number of sales to corporations and governments with sensitive data who may see the playbook as the only tablet option.
    07-28-11 12:07 PM
    S You don't see it selling out anywhere, you probably don't know anyone that wants one and it does not cater to the average consumer $$$. Like said before it's a half baked tablet with no practical use in the average consumer market.
    LOL...

You made me laugh.. Unfortunately you are wrong about people not wanting it and it being half baked.. I have 4 friends that want a playbook... All you need to do is show someone the os and how it works on the web, the multi tasking and the presentation mode and they are sold. Just a note, we have a client looking to buy updwards of 5000 of these to give away in a promotion.. something apple won't let you do..

The native email is lacking obviously.. I don't care so much now that i gave up on my iphone 4 after a year and have a temp BB 9700.. That being said native email is needed to gain consumer acceptance.
    ibigberries likes this.
    07-28-11 04:17 PM
    I don't care what anyone says, the corporate and government sectors won't save RIM.
    They might not get RIM back to the top but their business will certainly help in keeping them afloat.
    07-28-11 04:25 PM
    Like said before it's a half baked tablet with no practical use in the average consumer market.
    lol Half Baked Tablet, did you come up with that yourself? Sounds familiar ... like I have heard it someplace before! You are trying too hard /Yawn
    07-28-11 05:08 PM
    At least they considered the security. That is a plus.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    gord888 likes this.
    07-28-11 05:11 PM
    At least they considered the security. That is a plus.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Maybe they just didn't like the idea of an american company tracking their movements and sending back usage information?
    01itr likes this.
    07-28-11 07:38 PM
    I no longer have BIS. Why should I or anyone without BIS looking to get a tablet device buy a PB? Just because it looks promising or has potential doesn't equal success at the cash register, then again you can try to explain that to the share holder who has taken an enormous money loss. As for the iPad its a few weeks on back order, how about the PB? RIM should be more concerned in selling a couple of million PB's instead of a couple of thousands to governments, it's a flop.

Again why should I buy a PB?
    Then don't buy one ...Is someone holding a gun to your head? I'm sure RIM isn't counting on your lousy sale anyway. As a company I'd much rather sell to Government and corporations then to consumers anyway. I am enjoying my PB very much the way it is right now Thank you very much!
    01itr and ibigberries like this.
    07-28-11 08:09 PM
    Half Baked Tablet=iPad?
    07-29-11 06:17 PM
    Maybe they just didn't like the idea of an american company tracking their movements and sending back usage information?
    Good point. I'm sure Russia would much prefer the Canadian company running all their data through its servers. Yeah, much better.
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    07-30-11 09:13 AM
    You made me laugh.. Unfortunately you are wrong about people not wanting it and it being half baked.. I have 4 friends that want a playbook... All you need to do is show someone the os and how it works on the web, the multi tasking and the presentation mode and they are sold. Just a note, we have a client looking to buy updwards of 5000 of these to give away in a promotion.. something apple won't let you do..
    Even if everything you claim here is true, the reality at this point is that the PlayBook isn't selling well. So it's great that you have "4 friends that want a PlayBook," but your 4 friends aren't going to turn the PlayBook into a success.
    07-30-11 09:17 AM
    No matter what the good news is or how big it is...
    It's simple, there's a bunch of people who think it's gonna be fine, there is a bunch who think it's not, only time will tell...
    For the moment, RIM is still there and doing their thing...so just let's wait and see what will happen, no comment here is gonna change anything...
    07-30-11 09:25 AM
    Security might be fine and dandy for governments and private enterprise but equals poor sales and mediocre reviews. Lets face it, no matter how you try to paint it, the PB was a flop. You don't see it selling out anywhere, you probably don't know anyone that wants one and it does not cater to the average consumer $$$. Like said before it's a half baked tablet with no practical use in the average consumer market. If in fact RIM's target customer for the PB was government or enterprise then that was a enormous fail on their behalf. Time for RIM to start thinking out of the box. They are in this predicament because exactly what you say and believe in. You RIM apologist never cease to amaze me.
    You sir, are wrong. Pre-booking was closed, and all initial first orders were closed due to overdemand in Malaysia. In Indonesia, launch and pre-booking is imminent and grey import PlayBooks are already selling like hotcakes despite getting marketted 30% more expensive.

So what even if its not in the USA? The point is thst it still sells out well. To the point that it sells out. Although it does not reflect the market in the USa and Canada a success is still a success.. i'm not going to speak more unless more infprmation is needed to correct the misleading statements you're pouring.
    07-31-11 10:31 AM
    You sir, are wrong. Pre-booking was closed, and all initial first orders were closed due to overdemand in Malaysia. In Indonesia, launch and pre-booking is imminent and grey import PlayBooks are already selling like hotcakes despite getting marketted 30% more expensive.

So what even if its not in the USA? The point is thst it still sells out well. To the point that it sells out. Although it does not reflect the market in the USa and Canada a success is still a success.. i'm not going to speak more unless more infprmation is needed to correct the misleading statements you're pouring.
    I assume they meant sold out in a more global scale. I don't disagree with your points, but if something isn't sold out everywhere I simply don't consider it sold out because it is still available. And in some places, PBs are simply being sat on/sent back by retailers.

Like I said, not trying to take value away from your point, just adding some clarity.
    07-31-11 10:37 AM

The grey import market in indonesia is poor. I spend almost a month try to sell my 32gb with no buyer coming in. selling for 400$ only. Buy it $750.
    People are losing interest and get tired over the bridge since connection speed is slow...nothing compared to usa. And virtually no decent application.not even a bbc news apps.
    You can find lots of pb, second hand.
    People may get fascinated with webos gestures on qnx, but this wifi model will never sell. A radio version may have some hope in market s like indonesia where people rely more on carriers data plan.

Yawnnnnz:-) :-) :-)
    Last edited by sportline; 07-31-11 at 08:54 PM.
    07-31-11 08:50 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD