So who was it telling me that BB10 doesn't have a memory leak problem?
    I don't think this a memory leak issue but I guess it cold be. I haven't heard that it keeps reoccurring.
    01-16-14 07:45 AM
    I've never heard of a memory leak problem.

Posted via My Awesome Z10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-16-14 07:52 AM
    Sometimes doing a 'hard' reboot works to clear memory and/or storage issues.

Check your memory first, then press and hold the power button down through the entire reboot cycle until the blue circle starts.

After the hard reboot check again to see if you've freed up any space.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 07:59 AM
    I've never heard of a memory leak problem.

What do you think this thread is about? What do you call when memory starts to be used up without any reason?

Memory leak.
    01-16-14 08:14 AM
    I don't think this a memory leak issue but I guess it cold be. I haven't heard that it keeps reoccurring.
    Memory used up without a reason and it can only be cleared up with a wipe. Sounds like a memory leak to me.
    01-16-14 08:15 AM
    Memory used up without a reason and it can only be cleared up with a wipe. Sounds like a memory leak to me.
    No clearing up with a reboot would be stuck or leaking memory. Memory and storage space are 2 different things. Wouldn't take a wipe to reclaim a memory leak or all bbos phones would need to be wiped daily.
    01-16-14 08:47 AM
    What do you think this thread is about? What do you call when memory starts to be used up without any reason?

Memory leak.
    Just because there isn't an obvious reason doesn't mean there isn't one. We cannot see what is in that other data set. Also, as was noted, memory (RAM) and storage (disk space) are not the same thing.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 08:51 AM
    No clearing up with a reboot would be stuck or leaking memory. Memory and storage space are 2 different things. Wouldn't take a wipe to reclaim a memory leak or all bbos phones would need to be wiped daily.
    Not on BB10, they're the same now (except for the separate ram I believe)

On BBOS storage space was just that, storage space. On BB10 apps are installed in this same storage space. Not on the memory card though.

BBOS devices did eventually need to be wiped to clear the memory, no amount of deleting apps and reboots would claim it back so a wipe was necessary. But thanks to Protect it was super easy to do.
    01-16-14 08:51 AM
    Just because there isn't an obvious reason doesn't mean there isn't one. We cannot see what is in that other data set. Also, as was noted, memory (RAM) and storage (disk space) are not the same thing.

Posted via CB10
    It's not exactly the same thing sure but it's still a memory leak, something is using up that memory with no apparent reason.
    01-16-14 08:53 AM
    It's not exactly the same thing sure but it's still a memory leak, something is using up that memory with no apparent reason.
    So do you call the temp folder on a PC filling up with cache and temp files a memory leak?
    01-16-14 09:06 AM
    I don't know if this is related, but it could be.

I recently discovered a persistent "memory leak" problem in Android. The problem is this, when you take pictures with the camera, or download pictures or video, thumbnails are created and stored in a file in device memory. This file just grows and grows; the thumbnail data remains even after you delete the photos or videos. I currently have about a half GB of thumbnails; other people have reported much more. The thumbnail data file can be deleted, but it gets put into LOST.DIR when you do, and then it comes back when you start using Gallery again. There are workarounds--one is to use some other app instead of Gallery--but the underlying problem hasn't been fixed.

Is it possible that something similar is happening in the Android sandbox in BB10, or am I way off base?
    kbz1960 and Agustin Aleman like this.
    01-16-14 09:08 AM
    So do you call the temp folder on a PC filling up with cache and temp files a memory leak?
    If it's excessive yes.
    01-16-14 09:11 AM

I recently discovered a persistent "memory leak" problem in Android. The problem is this, when you take pictures with the camera, or download pictures or video, thumbnails are created and stored in a file in device memory. This file just grows and grows; the thumbnail data remains even after you delete the photos or videos. I currently have about a half GB of thumbnails; other people have reported much more. The thumbnail data file can be deleted, but it gets put into LOST.DIR when you do, and then it comes back when you start using Gallery again. There are workarounds--one is to use some other app instead of Gallery--but the underlying problem hasn't been fixed.

Is it possible that something similar is happening in the Android sandbox in BB10, or am I way off base?
    Wouldn't be surprised at all if the player is the culprit.
    01-16-14 09:13 AM
    If it's excessive yes.
    That isn't a memory leak.
    01-16-14 09:14 AM
    There are way too many unknowns, and throwing around catch all (at least in your definition) terms isnt helping anything. Do you know if this is increasing? Could it be something static? If so, it isnt a leak. I have noticed downloading movies, and having the download fail in the middle fills in that "other data" pile on the media card. I am not the first to notice this fyi. Other than that It hasnt shown any noticeable increase other than that. I did get rid of it, just because it bothered me and there is no need to waste space.

That being said, I have a work phone that keeps 30 days worth of data since December 2012 (yes before the Z10 came out) last app was installed sometime in October.. It is a test device that was given to me by BlackBerry. It has had most of it's storage free for 6+ months. If there was a 'memory' leak, shouldnt it have dropped over time? I havent rebooted it in weeks or months, it simply stays, powered on, plugged in, in my office.
    You are welcome to dislike BB10 as much as you like, but it doesnt make what you are saying true (or even an accurate term for that matter).
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-16-14 09:15 AM

Also not a memory leak. This is storage being used by the file system. (and it isnt memory, its storage, there is a difference). you should be able to go in and clean that out (there might be a thumbs.db file somewhere or the like). The memory isnt being eaten up by a process that wont release it, it is a file that keeps growing based on usage.
    CMcRob likes this.
    01-16-14 09:18 AM
    There are way too many unknowns, and throwing around catch all (at least in your definition) terms isnt helping anything. Do you know if this is increasing? Could it be something static? If so, it isnt a leak. I have noticed downloading movies, and having the download fail in the middle fills in that "other data" pile on the media card. I am not the first to notice this fyi. Other than that It hasnt shown any noticeable increase other than that. I did get rid of it, just because it bothered me and there is no need to waste space.

That being said, I have a work phone that keeps 30 days worth of data since December 2012 (yes before the Z10 came out) last app was installed sometime in October.. It is a test device that was given to me by BlackBerry. It has had most of it's storage free for 6+ months. If there was a 'memory' leak, shouldnt it have dropped over time? I havent rebooted it in weeks or months, it simply stays, powered on, plugged in, in my office.
    You are welcome to dislike BB10 as much as you like, but it doesnt make what you are saying true (or even an accurate term for that matter).
    Can we please stop with "we know how much you dislike BB10" comments? I bought one remember? I'm on a 2 year contract with it.

Don't make this personal.
    loyalIND likes this.
    01-16-14 09:22 AM
    Can we please stop with "we know how much you dislike BB10" comments? I bought one remember? I'm on a 2 year contract with it.

Don't make this personal.
    You came into the thread offering nothing constructive, using incorrect buzz word terms, and while being corrected, still stuck to those terms. You have made it clear in other threads the deficiencies you see in BB10 (which is well within your right) and how it isnt as good as BBOS overall (paraphrasing), and you came into this thread to do that yet again.

Your exact first post in this thread is:
    So who was it telling me that BB10 doesn't have a memory leak problem?
    Please tell me how that is helpful, constructive, or even on topic (since we have established this is not a memory leak, but something taking up storage space). Several people, myself included, have attempted to educate you on the matter, which you, for whatever reason, chose to ignore.

All that being said, re-read my comment (since you only addressed the last line). I said
    (I have highlighted and underlined a word to bring emphasis). Now please, tell me where I said you did dislike the product? From what I read, exactly as the words are written, I said you are WELCOME to dislike it. I did not say you did. There is nothing incorrect about my statement.
    kbz1960 and Agustin Aleman like this.
    01-16-14 09:35 AM
    Also not a memory leak. This is storage being used by the file system. (and it isnt memory, its storage, there is a difference). you should be able to go in and clean that out (there might be a thumbs.db file somewhere or the like). The memory isnt being eaten up by a process that wont release it, it is a file that keeps growing based on usage.
    Fair enough. The only "leak" aspect is that the thumbnail data stays even after the image files are gone. So it grows based on usage but doesn't shrink based on usage. The space can't be reclaimed except by the user deleting this hidden file.

Since BB10 doesn't use the Android Gallery app, it doesn't seem that the "Other Data" problem could be this exact thing, but maybe other Android apps and processes have a similar quirk: they grow but don't shrink. It's just a guess.
    01-16-14 09:44 AM
    Fair enough. The only "leak" aspect is that the thumbnail data stays even after the image files are gone. So it grows based on usage but doesn't shrink based on usage. The space can't be reclaimed except by the user deleting this hidden file.

Since BB10 doesn't use the Android Gallery app, it doesn't seem that the "Other Data" problem could be this exact thing, but maybe other Android apps and processes have a similar quirk: they grow but don't shrink. It's just a guess.
    It is very possible the Android VM has bugs in it that fail to update files properly. Thiis is something that should be reported to BlackBerry so they can work on fixing it, as it could cause issues the longer you go. This is an excellent finding.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-16-14 09:47 AM

Memory leak.
    Well I actually started this thread with questions someone who's only had a blackberry with only little of a year. I still have questions and in need of help with my z10. So there for I asked a question where only past blackberry users should know and they've helped me very well. So I don't think we need you or anyone commenting with smart *** replies. If you arent gonna reply right don't reply at all. I'm only just saying..

01-16-14 09:58 AM
    You came into the thread offering nothing constructive, using incorrect buzz word terms, and while being corrected, still stuck to those terms. You have made it clear in other threads the deficiencies you see in BB10 (which is well within your right) and how it isnt as good as BBOS overall (paraphrasing), and you came into this thread to do that yet again.

Your exact first post in this thread is:

Please tell me how that is helpful, constructive, or even on topic (since we have established this is not a memory leak, but something taking up storage space). Several people, myself included, have attempted to educate you on the matter, which you, for whatever reason, chose to ignore.

All that being said, re-read my comment (since you only addressed the last line). I said (I have highlighted and underlined a word to bring emphasis). Now please, tell me where I said you did dislike the product? From what I read, exactly as the words are written, I said you are WELCOME to dislike it. I did not say you did. There is nothing incorrect about my statement.
    I also said don't make this personal, and what do you do? Go on a rant about me.

I'm not technical but when available memory starts to disappear at an alarming rate that's a memory leak to me. After all, when that memory is gone you can't install any more apps so it's not just "storage" memory.

Not knowing what is using it doesn't make it any better. What's important is that memory is not available anymore to the user.
    01-16-14 10:50 AM
    Well I actually started this thread with questions someone who's only had a blackberry with only little of a year. I still have questions and in need of help with my z10. So there for I asked a question where only past blackberry users should know and they've helped me very well. So I don't think we need you or anyone commenting with smart *** replies. If you arent gonna reply right don't reply at all. I'm only just saying..

My bad, I actually thought you were being sarcastic with your question. Past BBOS devices have suffered from memory leak and some people on this forum have claimed Bb10 doesn't have a memory leak problem. Yet as you've noticed, it does have a pretty big problem with managing memory.
    01-16-14 10:52 AM
    I also said don't make this personal, and what do you do? Go on a rant about me.

I'm not technical but when available memory starts to disappear at an alarming rate that's a memory leak to me. After all, when that memory is gone you can't install any more apps so it's not just "storage" memory.

Not knowing what is using it doesn't make it any better. What's important is that memory is not available anymore to the user.
    What is in memory is lost when you reboot or turn off. Memory is volatile space that gets reused, replaced and constantly changing. Storage space is where programs and files reside and doesn't change unless you change the files or move them or whatever. It increases as things are removed and decreases as things are added. Beyond temp and cache storage space is constant until a user makes a change.
    01-16-14 11:10 AM
    What is in memory is lost when you reboot or turn off. Memory is volatile space that gets reused, replaced and constantly changing. Storage space is where programs and files reside and doesn't change unless you change the files or move them or whatever. It increases as things are removed and decreases as things are added. Beyond temp and cache storage space is constant until a user makes a change.

It's all irrelevant, what's important something is using the internal memory/storage up. Stop ignoring the actual issue. I noticed this on my Z10 and Q10.
    01-16-14 11:15 AM
66 123