Rumour: RIMs QNX BlackBerry smartphones to have OTA software updates, front-facing camera and BBM Video Chat
    By Ian Hardy on September 3, 2011 at 10:37am in Mobile News

RIMs new BlackBerry smartphones just launched in Canada, widely available through majority of our carriers. These are exciting devices and all come with some much needed improvements: faster processor, better camera capabilities and the new BlackBerry 7 OS. Customers will embrace these devices, but some are potentially holding off until RIM unveils the next generation of their BlackBerry devices these are the devices that will be powered by their QNX OS. RIM purchased QNX Software Systems in April of 2010 and quickly implemented their platform into the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. The user experience in the PlayBook is incredibly fluid and intuitive.

Its known that RIM will be releasing QNX-based BlackBerry smartphones early 2012″, the first device is rumoured to be called the Colt and will potentially be an all-touchscreen device, either having a single core or a dual-core processor. A couple weeks ago Bloomberg chimed into the rumours and stated that their smartphones, like the PlayBook, is expected to run applications built for Google Inc. (GOOG)s Android operating system.

Now, a couple more rumours have hit the web regarding the QNX Berry. Front-facing cameras are becoming standard, mainly for video calling. GizmoFusion states that RIM will be bringing this to the QNX BlackBerry, along with the ability to video chat within BBM (BlackBerry Messenger). This would be a great progression to BBM as they just announced BBM Music. In addition, theres currently a bit of frustration with the way OS updates happen, they take a long time to work through carrier testing, but this might change with the QNX-based BlackBerry smartphone. Apparently as soon as RIM is ready with an OS update theyll cut out the carriers and make it available to customers Over-The-Air (OTA), just like the PlayBook now offers this will be a welcomed addition.

The QNX BlackBerry smartphone is sounding pretty amazing so far! Hope all these rumours are true.

Source: N4BB
    Via: GizmoFusion

Rumour: RIM
    09-03-11 01:50 PM
    Hmm, sounds good for the near future. I'm not keen on OTA, but it sounds good to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 03:46 PM
    This phone sounds amazing. I love my 9850 but always like hearing bout berry rumors

09-03-11 09:08 PM
    I just hope they don't try to go even thinner and sacrifice battery life, lol.
    09-04-11 01:13 AM
    ... I'm not keen on OTA...
    What's wrong with OTA? Works flawlessly on my PlayBook so far.
    09-04-11 02:39 AM
    Finally... Video chat.

I do hope that the video chat they're talking about with BBM will be supported with non QNX phones. Or at least make video chat available between QNX phones and the PB, that way we don't have to buy a new phone or a PB just to have video chat...
    09-04-11 03:35 AM
    Finally... Video chat.

I do hope that the video chat they're talking about with BBM will be supported with non QNX phones. Or at least make video chat available between QNX phones and the PB, that way we don't have to buy a new phone or a PB just to have video chat...
    Since no BB to this point has a front facing camera I'll go out on a limb and say they won't be supported.

09-04-11 08:49 AM
    Hmm, sounds good for the near future. I'm not keen on OTA, but it sounds good to me.
    The more important part of that update would be the cutting out the carriers for updates rather than the ota update thing which isn't actually new, I am sure there are plenty on here who can relate tales of annoyance at carriers being slow to release updated software after all.
    09-04-11 09:14 AM
    obviously it's going to have OTA considering it's going to use the same OS as the PlayBook
    09-04-11 10:33 AM
    Also remember now QNX has differential OTA updates now. So OTA downloads will not be a full upgrade of the OS thus keep the OTAs to a small file size.

00stryder likes this.
    09-04-11 12:11 PM
    This sounds Sweet! If OTA for the Phones does end up like working like for our PlayBooks and u can "choose" what u wanna install in our next update as it seems, its definetely a step in the right direction, just my opinion tho.
    But shrinking the OS if possible for Qnx will still be important for peeps i guess.
    09-04-11 12:40 PM
    I find it super funny that people are writing up a lot of this stuff into articles like it's a new rumor or discovery. NO KIDDING!!!

The new phones are based on the QNX platform and the PlayBook. The phones will be like a mini-PlayBook of sorts... OTA updates, front facing camera, video chat, etc are of course going to be there. Going to be awesome, but this shouldn't be a suprise to anybody by now. The second RIM said there will be QNX BlackBerry SuperPhones, this all became an absolute gimme.
    09-04-11 03:31 PM
    kevin i hate to bother u but i cannot find a clear answer to this......Do you know what RIM plans to do with the acquisition of Dash....i mean, they bought them over 2 years ago i believe. To my knowledge i dont think theyve fully integrated their services into their devices. i always thought the playbook would have a native BB Maps application that had turn by turn directions before it came out but when it didnt i figured that mayb they were saving it for the QNX superphones.....i just hope Bing Maps isnt my only option come the launch of these superphones **cough Playbook cough** lol
    09-04-11 03:48 PM
    If BBM gets video chat, its game over. Qnx becomes a MUST have.

09-04-11 05:31 PM
    I find it super funny that people are writing up a lot of this stuff into articles like it's a new rumor or discovery. NO KIDDING!!!

The new phones are based on the QNX platform and the PlayBook. The phones will be like a mini-PlayBook of sorts... OTA updates, front facing camera, video chat, etc are of course going to be there. Going to be awesome, but this shouldn't be a suprise to anybody by now. The second RIM said there will be QNX BlackBerry SuperPhones, this all became an absolute gimme.
    Exactly. Nothing new. But I guess it's still good news to share for RIM. What I really hope they do is implement voice chat (akin to Skype) in the new version of BBM. If it is properly implemented and marketed I think it will be huge for RIM. For example, when my mom wanted to upgrade from her Moto RAZR, I gave her a BB Curve. She found the keyboard small and too fancy for her. I got my dad a BB Style and he is able to communicate with her relative overseas via BBM. My mom will send a txt every now and then but it's not something she chooses to do often. If she knew she could talk to relatives for free via BBM, she would accept a BB without question. There is a whole segment of the population that does not use a smart phone. This could be a great way to get them to use a BB. I also think that it would be key in many of the emerging markets that RIM is making headway in. I can imagine with RIM making headways in Latin America and the Latino Population increasing in the US, they could market the **** out of BBM and it's ability to call other BBM users for free. Just a thought.
    09-04-11 07:56 PM
    kevin i hate to bother u but i cannot find a clear answer to this......Do you know what RIM plans to do with the acquisition of Dash....i mean, they bought them over 2 years ago i believe. To my knowledge i dont think theyve fully integrated their services into their devices. i always thought the playbook would have a native BB Maps application that had turn by turn directions before it came out but when it didnt i figured that mayb they were saving it for the QNX superphones.....i just hope Bing Maps isnt my only option come the launch of these superphones **cough Playbook cough** lol
    I read some where Dash acquisition was mainly done to gain some tax breaks, although I think BB traffic uses Dash algorithms.
    09-04-11 09:16 PM
    Video chat won't do anything. It is very clear, from these forums, that BB users have no need for gimmicks like video chat...

Seriously, I'd love to see RIM incorporate it into BBM. Would be awesome.
    09-04-11 09:23 PM
    I read some where Dash acquisition was mainly done to gain some tax breaks, although I think BB traffic uses Dash algorithms.
    thats what i was afraid of.....ivr used BB Traffic and its ok, but where is RIM's native maps at for the playbook? shoot here isnt even a BB Maps for the playbook.....i just feel so much more could be done with that Dash acquisition than what has already.

well with the mango update for WP7 hhey'll have turn by turn directions so im hoping since microsoft and RIM have this little partnership, they at least eventually bake that into their bing maps app for the playbook
    09-05-11 10:14 PM
    That will be great.

09-06-11 09:47 AM
    Since RIM will push OS updates it would really be nice if we have the option to install or not any service provider updates/programs.
    09-06-11 10:24 AM
    I'm stoked. Was about to take the plunge on the new storm 3 when it hits verizon, but now I may wait.
    09-06-11 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD