Even if that's true, BB could be staying in the hardware business, but with "bespoke" hardware from white label manufacturers. Certainly a way to bring prices down.
    Isn't this pretty much where they are now? How many hardware employees could BlackBerry actually have to lay off at this point? Maybe just prototype engineers?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    03-30-16 11:26 AM
    Producing phones for Android would be much less expensive than producing BB10 phones because all BlackBerry is doing is borrowing an already working OS that doesn't need any maintaining from their own engineers.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 12:17 PM
    According to a Czech BlackBerry fan blog, two new BlackBerry devices will be introduced in 2016.

One is codenamed BlackBerry Hamburg, which will be a mid ranged full touch device. The Hamburg is estimated to cost around $ 400 and is expected to be introduced in Q3.

The second one is codenamed BlackBerry Rome and will be a more premium kind of device, which will be a sporting a physical keyboard as well as a touch screen. An estimated sales price has not been announced and the device is expected to be introduced in Q4.

According to the fan blog both devices will run Android 6 Marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    For what it is worth, Q4 occurs in 2017.

Analysts aren't always right. Like I've said before in other posts that BlackBerry won't quit the hardware division after just one device. That would be foolish of them to decide their future on just one device.

Posted via CB10
    They can't quit hardware outright until other streams of revenue begin to dominate quarter after quarter. Even then they won't outright drop hardware to begin with. For one, what's the point of warehousing the whole operation? That is not logical from a business perspective unless they intend to have future intent. That is, hardware is only put on hold. Realistically, the way they would end hardware would be to sell the device component to another entity in whole considering that outside of patents there is nothing within BlackBerry 'handsets' that are worth much sold as individual pieces through liquidation and they already lease patents, anyways. The only way BlackBerry could sell the division in a manner that would benefit both BlackBerry and the buyer would be if handsets are in the green.

In the decade that I have been familiar with BlackBerry, outright pulling of the plug does not seem to be their MO. The PlayBook lingered. BBOS is still lingering. BB10 will continue to linger. Packet compression meant to run on 2G networks lingered well into 3G and 4G, really. Physical keyboards are still a prominent feature even though these days the majority of their phones should be all-touch. Charging a premium for premium handsets built with not-so-quite premium hardware also still seems to be lingering. And all of this lingers on year after year of BlackBerry supposedly having been 'dead' long ago.

Chen also does not seem to be the type who pulls the plug, either. At Sybase he took old, irrelevant tech and found new uses for them. That is what he does with his turn-arounds; he runs with what is already available. That is why he has such a focus on security and privacy and software as they are all BlackBerry strengths. That is also why they won't quit hardware although the landscape of BlackBerry's offerings may change. No matter what anyone thinks of it, fact remains that niche markets are a real thing and despite declining sales BlackBerry has managed to maintain a dominant presence here. Android vendors and Apple are quickly moving into that space; BlackBerry can give it up and offer software/security solutions only or they can remain king of one or two particular niche markets. To be real, that is what they are doing and that is why BB10 has not officially become EOL and that is why they went with Android despite everything else.

An Android Passport would be a hit.

Posted via CB10
    Right. All 1,000 people who would buy one would buy one.

I heard that BlackBerry is pulling out of hardware business totally, including android devices and that's why Vienna wasn't launched during MWC16.

Hope that's a false news but one of the analyst's prediction could be right.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Vienna was not launched at MWC16 because BlackBerry has yet to acknowledge its existence. Chen has publicly stated in advance of MWC16 that there is at least one more Android handset in the works but whether that is the Vienna, Rome, Tokyo or Flint, MI is anyone's guess. Outside of claiming that they are working on one, he has given zero details about it.
    03-30-16 12:19 PM
    Just thinking about it.. I've read a rumour on BlackBerryCentral a while ago, where it was stated that the Vienna codename to a different Italian city.. Could confirm the Rome rumour

Posted via CB10
    Which is part of why this info is a bit silly. It's progression more than anything else. On top of that, Chen already confirmed one or two Android devices for 2016 pending on how Priv goes. Knowing the codenames is nothing.. codenames come and go and often are regional. Lisbon, London, Laguna - all Z10, etc. The Vienna mention and basically telling people to forget about it is a bit off as well. If Vienna has a new internal name and has been refined, is it actually a new device? Codenames mean nothing until they reach the production point. The larger PlayBook had a codename as well, look how that turned out. The BlackBerry Magnum as well.. where'd that end up? Let's not forget BlackBerry's set top box. But I digress.. if people are gonna get excited, let it be over something more than a codename.

The Top 5 BlackBerry Leaks That Were Never Released As Actual Products!
    03-30-16 12:34 PM
    Android sucks I had iPhone and android and windows phone and I think BlackBerry 10 is the best system by far sad to se a company crawling over to Google

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 12:37 PM
    Isn't this pretty much where they are now? How many hardware employees could BlackBerry actually have to lay off at this point? Maybe just prototype engineers?
    You're right. And by the way, do they still have that partnership with Foxconn?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 01:06 PM
    You're right. And by the way, do they still have that partnership with Foxconn?

Posted via CB10
    Hard to say which partnerships are still valid. Think they have been using Wistron of late. I don't remember if the Foxconn deal ever went past the disappointment of the Z3, the LEAP was built by someone else.

They have announce "partnerships" with three of these builders over the last couple of years. With the last announcement, Chen made it sound like he was looking for them to do it all - Engineering & Design, work deals with suppliers, do the manufacturing, take care of inventory controls - so that BlackBerry was not at risk (which is why there is so little inventory at launch).
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-30-16 01:57 PM
    According to a Czech BlackBerry fan blog, two new BlackBerry devices will be introduced in 2016.

One is codenamed BlackBerry Hamburg, which will be a mid ranged full touch device. The Hamburg is estimated to cost around $ 400 and is expected to be introduced in Q3.

The second one is codenamed BlackBerry Rome and will be a more premium kind of device, which will be a sporting a physical keyboard as well as a touch screen. An estimated sales price has not been announced and the device is expected to be introduced in Q4.

According to the fan blog both devices will run Android 6 Marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    There is a much higher chance zero new devices are launched in 2016 than there are two new devices.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-30-16 04:08 PM
    Just thinking about it.. I've read a rumour on BlackBerryCentral a while ago, where it was stated that the Vienna codename to a different Italian city.. Could confirm the Rome rumour

Posted via CB10
    Venice we already have. You can buy it now... ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-30-16 05:39 PM
    For what it is worth, Q4 occurs in 2017.

They can't quit hardware outright until other streams of revenue begin to dominate quarter after quarter. Even then they won't outright drop hardware to begin with. For one, what's the point of warehousing the whole operation? That is not logical from a business perspective unless they intend to have future intent. That is, hardware is only put on hold. Realistically, the way they would end hardware would be to sell the device component to another entity in whole considering that outside of patents there is nothing within BlackBerry 'handsets' that are worth much sold as individual pieces through liquidation and they already lease patents, anyways. The only way BlackBerry could sell the division in a manner that would benefit both BlackBerry and the buyer would be if handsets are in the green.

In the decade that I have been familiar with BlackBerry, outright pulling of the plug does not seem to be their MO. The PlayBook lingered. BBOS is still lingering. BB10 will continue to linger. Packet compression meant to run on 2G networks lingered well into 3G and 4G, really. Physical keyboards are still a prominent feature even though these days the majority of their phones should be all-touch. Charging a premium for premium handsets built with not-so-quite premium hardware also still seems to be lingering. And all of this lingers on year after year of BlackBerry supposedly having been 'dead' long ago.

Chen also does not seem to be the type who pulls the plug, either. At Sybase he took old, irrelevant tech and found new uses for them. That is what he does with his turn-arounds; he runs with what is already available. That is why he has such a focus on security and privacy and software as they are all BlackBerry strengths. That is also why they won't quit hardware although the landscape of BlackBerry's offerings may change. No matter what anyone thinks of it, fact remains that niche markets are a real thing and despite declining sales BlackBerry has managed to maintain a dominant presence here. Android vendors and Apple are quickly moving into that space; BlackBerry can give it up and offer software/security solutions only or they can remain king of one or two particular niche markets. To be real, that is what they are doing and that is why BB10 has not officially become EOL and that is why they went with Android despite everything else.

Right. All 1,000 people who would buy one would buy one.

Vienna was not launched at MWC16 because BlackBerry has yet to acknowledge its existence. Chen has publicly stated in advance of MWC16 that there is at least one more Android handset in the works but whether that is the Vienna, Rome, Tokyo or Flint, MI is anyone's guess. Outside of claiming that they are working on one, he has given zero details about it.
    Exactly my point and exactly what I've been saying to the other members on here. BlackBerry won't and can't just pull the plug on hardware division. Which means Rome and Hamburg will be released this year for sure.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 06:34 PM
    By the end of the year the PRIV is going to be close to a mid-range device. I really don't see the point of a mid-range all touch by then.

Think BlackBerry's market is PKB, they ought to do a enterprise entry level PKB device and a Flagship PKB device.

Because if there isn't a market for PKB devices.... there isn't any point in BlackBerry staying in the market.
    This.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 07:11 PM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 07:21 PM
    To all the people wanting fulltouch. I just read somewhere there is a 10 Core, 6GB Ram, 128GB Storage, 4000mah or so phone being made for $399 USD, go take a look at that and see if BlackBerry can compete if they made a phone half of those specs for 700 dollars.

- Deca-Core Vernee Apollo Smartphone Beast Rocks 6 GB Of RAM, QHD Force Touch Display, 21 MP Camera And More : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times
    Last edited by BriniaSona; 03-31-16 at 06:57 AM.
    Uzi likes this.
    03-31-16 06:42 AM
    How much profit is a company really making on a phone with high end specs at mid range pricing, something has to be shorted either the quality of the components, support, labor cost, etc. Chen is only going to produce models that he thinks he can sell at a profit and only continue device lines that are profitable for the company.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-16 10:27 AM
    To all the people wanting fulltouch. I just read somewhere there is a 10 Core, 6GB Ram, 128GB Storage, 4000mah or so phone being made for $399 USD, go take a look at that and see if BlackBerry can compete if they made a phone half of those specs for 700 dollars.

- Deca-Core Vernee Apollo Smartphone Beast Rocks 6 GB Of RAM, QHD Force Touch Display, 21 MP Camera And More : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times
    Impressive specifications, yes, but with an unknown brand like "vernee," which appears to be another budget phone maker, specs that sound good on paper don't always add up to something the rest of us might want to buy.

And the MediaTek Helio X20 suffers from overheating just like the Snapdragon 810.

Of course BlackBerry can compete with that phone.
    03-31-16 12:31 PM
    I totally agree...although...a regular width phone with a keyboard and large touchscreen would enslave the masses!
    03-31-16 01:49 PM
    If I had the last Hardware Device that BlackBerry comes out with, I'd be happy.

My PRIV hase Qi charging...

Nuf said
    03-31-16 02:03 PM
    By the sound of things you all-touch people got what you wished for, Rome is an touch-only Venice.
    Yeah but sounds like mid-range only. I don't need that. I need something that can last longer with higher end.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-16 02:34 PM
    Since I'm Czech, I don't find this rumour credible (although I would love to believe it). I have no idea where Czechberry could get source for such an Intel. In reality, they run online store selling BlackBerry gadgets and accessories. No one else confirmed this rumour. I'm very sceptical, but If they are right, I own them beer or two.

Blackberry Passport | Czech Republic
    03-31-16 03:58 PM
    Since I'm Czech, I don't find this rumour credible (although I would love to believe it). I have no idea where Czechberry could get source for such an Intel. In reality, they run online store selling BlackBerry gadgets and accessories. No one else confirmed this rumour. I'm very sceptical, but If they are right, I own them beer or two.

Let's drink their beer, cause I do not believe it either.
    03-31-16 07:13 PM
    I wonder how 'premium' the device with the keyboard will be because the Priv doesn't feel premium at all.

Posted via CB10
    yeah, who approved the mirror finish on the volume/power keys? so out of touch.
    03-31-16 07:35 PM

Don't worry, they aren't legit.
    03-31-16 10:36 PM
    This rumor connects with the previous rumor that claimed that the Vienna had its codename changed. I don't know how legit these rumors are but they do seem to connect.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-16 11:33 PM

Mobile Nations sell accessories too...
    04-01-16 04:35 AM
    Yes, indeed, but Czechberry always quotes crackberry or other servers (except some local apps), they do not have their own journalists and contacts withing BlackBerry organisation. Not mentioning that they are situated in heart of Europe, where people barely knows BlackBerry brand. I don't know what this rumour means to them or what's the tactic behind it, none of the big sites confirmed/published this rumour, therefore I'm still sceptical (although I would love to believe it).

04-01-16 05:29 AM
133 1234 ...