Alas, many people don't. I'll bet when RIM doesn't announce BlackBerry 10's immediate availability for PlayBook on January 30th, people will be bemoaning how RIM broke their promise (again). Even though RIM didn't make said promise ...
    They cannot afford a late Q4 launch while calling Jan 30 a launch date. RIM is up ****'s creek as it is, so they really need to work with US carriers to get these phones ASAP. Late March is not ASAP.
    01-13-13 09:57 AM
    Alas, many people don't. I'll bet when RIM doesn't announce BlackBerry 10's immediate availability for PlayBook on January 30th, people will be bemoaning how RIM broke their promise (again). Even though RIM didn't make said promise ...
    Agree. I haven't seen anything but pure speculation on BB10 coming to current playbook for so long, it makes me think it's not. Maybe only going to be on newly released playbook. That would make me sad, but at least I'm prepared for it.
    01-13-13 09:57 AM
    BBM Video is confirmed.
    01-13-13 11:31 AM
    Well this is refreshing to read as myself I'm so tired of ppl that complain about something that is based on rumour and not facts.

Speculation - Opinion - Fact , there should be a check box ticked before posting,lol. Sure would make navigating CB with those filters less cumbersome at times.

What do you think Bla1ze, can you make it happen, would be a nice feature?

That's the problem with rumors, we read enough of them and we start to forget that they're just rumors, not fact. We've had so many specs, prices, dates, thrown around that come January 30th you're all going to be pissed off about something because it doesn't match the idea that's already in your head.

Be careful what you believe, because you're truly setting yourself up for disappointment. I know exactly what's going to transpire on this forum during the launch event, there's going to be complaints left and right. If you sit down and make a list of actual confirmed details about bb10, i mean confirmed from RIM, and only RIM, you won't have a whole lot.

That's all I have to say. I'm looking forward to January 30th so I can be fully informed about Blackberry10.
    01-13-13 11:45 AM
    I dont know about the next person I just wanted a fast browser now im getting all these extra things I cant complain.I was gonna get the next blackberry period regardless of anything apps and playing games was'nt my thing.Now I get thsi extra stuff im cool eitehr way.

I aint gonna be dissapointed I like what I see the stuff they hiding is gonna be like OK thanks.
    01-13-13 12:14 PM
    They cannot afford a late Q4 launch while calling Jan 30 a launch date. RIM is up ****'s creek as it is, so they really need to work with US carriers to get these phones ASAP. Late March is not ASAP.
    How about we all wait and see what they announce rather than speculating?
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-13-13 12:17 PM
    OP has a point. We've had very few details confirmed. We've had some good educated guesses as to hardware, though:

-1.7GHz OMAP4 4470 dual-core (EMEA & SA), Snapdragon S2 (Canada & US)
    -2GB RAM

I'm almost more concerned about the 2GB RAM than anything else, myself.

My own bottom line: I've seen enough that I'm ready to pull the trigger...
    Why a S2 snapdragon? That is pretty dated at this point.

Sent from my Droid DNA
    01-13-13 12:19 PM
    .... Prime example,lol. I read " educated guesses" in regards to the above specs.

I'm going to watch football, enjoy your "speculation" until Jan 30 2013

Sent from my Droid DNA
    01-13-13 12:31 PM
    How about you list the apps you have now and we'll compare known apps or not?
    It's not just a case of having the apps people use now, RIM need to make sure that developers are committed to developing for Blackberry down the line. I hope RIM announce these types of partnerships on the 30th, for their sake. "For those of you worried about future development, we can reveal we have partnered with x developers...so rest assured you will have the next angry birds game the same time as android and ios users..."
    01-13-13 12:55 PM

Sent from my Droid DNA
    Does not mean the dual core can't do something a quad could. Just because it seems faster spec wise it's not always the case. It's all in how the os utilizing it.

As for ram mentioned iPhone 5 is 1gb and the galaxy 3 has 2gb. If rim has 2gb once all is known this is hardly and issue.
    01-13-13 01:16 PM
    .... Prime example,lol. I read " educated guesses" in regards to the above specs.

I'm going to watch football, enjoy your "speculation" until Jan 30 2013
    Falcons are up
    01-13-13 01:58 PM
    Aaaaawwwwww.......no love for the monochromatic pic?????

Ok.....let's not get in trouble.......but displeasure noted.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2

I'm good either way.
    01-13-13 02:49 PM
    I assumed that was a typo and they meant an S4.
    01-13-13 03:31 PM
    ^^ +1

Definitely a typo
    01-13-13 05:48 PM
    BBM Video is confirmed.
    Unless you heard it from the mouth of someone who works high up at RIM, then i wouldn't consider it confirmed. Yeah we've all seen it in pictures and videos, but doesn't mean it's going to be ready when the devices are sold. Just saying. It's not confirmed, not much is confirmed.
    01-13-13 06:47 PM
    Yes but we are talking about a front facing camera. The 9900 would have been okay with a front facing EDOF camera so long as the primary had auto focus.
    sadly gonna have to disagree with ya.

dev alpha A - 3mp EDOF camera (think 9900)
    dev alpha B - 2mp auto focus camera.

as im sure you understand, i could find many hundreds of threads from the 9900 forums validating their choice to move from EDOF back to auto focus lol
    01-13-13 06:51 PM
    Yes but we are talking about a front facing camera. The 9900 would have been okay with a front facing EDOF camera so long as the primary had auto focus.
    ok, so if image quality on a still photo isnt an issue (for you) then, and they both do 1080p, then surely it doesnt matter at all?
    01-13-13 09:37 PM
    Does not mean the dual core can't do something a quad could. Just because it seems faster spec wise it's not always the case. It's all in how the os utilizing it.

As for ram mentioned iPhone 5 is 1gb and the galaxy 3 has 2gb. If rim has 2gb once all is known this is hardly and issue.
    There are dual core and quad core S4s. The US Samsung galaxy S3 uses a dual core S4 and the droid DNA a quad core S4 for example.

It could be a typeo as someone suggested, or it could be that the developer tools target pre-Krait cores in terms of instruction set support even though the mobile devices will all have (maybe) S4s, and the support level was misinterpreted to mean that's what will be in the devices themselves.
    01-14-13 04:00 AM
    There are dual core and quad core S4s. The US Samsung galaxy S3 uses a dual core S4 and the droid DNA a quad core S4 for example.

It could be a typeo as someone suggested, or it could be that the developer tools target pre-Krait cores in terms of instruction set support even though the mobile devices will all have (maybe) S4s, and the support level was misinterpreted to mean that's what will be in the devices themselves.
    All the Qualcomm S4 processors, and the TI OMAP processors, and Nvidia TegraX processors are ARMv7 compliant. The OS that RIM is using is communicating with ARMv7 instructions. RIM already has BB10 working OMAP5 as we have seen with the QNX Bentley concept car, OMAP4 as we have seen with the PlayBook and Dev Alpha devices. We haven't seen a RIM device working with Qualcomm S4 yet, but it should be easy for them to do. The FIPS approval for BB10 and the PlayBook is valid for any device that uses an ARMv7 processor and the approved versions of crypto kernel and Neutrino.
    01-14-13 10:14 AM
    All the Qualcomm S4 processors, and the TI OMAP processors, and Nvidia TegraX processors are ARMv7 compliant. The OS that RIM is using is communicating with ARMv7 instructions. RIM already has BB10 working OMAP5 as we have seen with the QNX Bentley concept car, OMAP4 as we have seen with the PlayBook and Dev Alpha devices. We haven't seen a RIM device working with Qualcomm S4 yet, but it should be easy for them to do. The FIPS approval for BB10 and the PlayBook is valid for any device that uses an ARMv7 processor and the approved versions of crypto kernel and Neutrino.
    ARMv7 does not (in a mandatory sense) include vector floating point, for example. Some variants of ARMv7 processors have it, and some don't. Any S4 Krait always has it. Tegra 2 doesn't have NEON, Tegra 3 does, etc. Optimization rules are undoubtedly different for each target, even if they have exactly the same instruction set (some have pipelined floating point, some don't. Original Krait has different out of order execution rules than Krait 400, and so on). It's possible that the developer tools suggest a "S2" as a target, implying either generic or Scorpion optimization rules. Not meaning that a Krait can't execute them, or that an OMAP can't execute them, but rather that this is the baseline instruction set (no VFP, no NEON, but still fully ARMv7 compliant) that is guaranteed to work on anything. Sort of like building to the 80386 target back in the days of Pentium and Pentium Pro.

I don't know that this is the case, but without more information about how the data saying that one of the processors is a Snapdragon S2 all we can do is speculate. It's pretty hard to believe that it would be an actual Scorpion core snapdragon, though.

This post isn't really contributing anything, I don't know how the developer tools look, my original post was only trying to explain why someone might have misinterpreted something he had seen on the developer side to something physically present in the device.
    01-15-13 11:47 PM

There are dual core S4s as well as quad core. It's Sn where n is the generation of the product, not the number of cores it has. At any rate, I generally agree with you. At a very fine grained level there is a rule of thumb saying if (for example) you can get the same performance out of an adder at full clock rate or two adders at half clock rates, interleaving the issue to each, the better choice in CMOS is to use two half clock rate adders (power as the square of the voltage * frequency, but where voltage can be reduced in a lower frequency part as well). That's probably to some extent vaguely true on a large scale as well, better to have 2x 500 MHz cores than a single 1 GHz core, or 4 500 MHz cores rather than 2x 1 GHz cores, but that would be making a big assumption that the average task being executed is perfectly parallelizable.

I'm pretty sure that in the case of most phone OSes there is really no point to having even more than one core, or if you were limited to a specific die size the better choice would be to take the area that would have been dedicated to a second core and put it toward a larger GPU (which tasks are very parallelizable) or cache. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in whatever the specs for the new devices turn out to be in comparison to iOS or Android devices. In terms of specs, no one is going to be able to compete with Android for very long, the product refresh cycle is ridiculously fast and what is top of the line today is midrange a few months later. It doesn't matter, though, Android isn't very light on it's feet overall. I think all of Blackberry's major technical deficiencies were in its quite dated OS and it looks like - no matter what the hardware - those will all get resolved in a few days.
    Last edited by valeuche; 01-16-13 at 12:00 AM. Reason: it's it grammar
    01-15-13 11:58 PM
    The browser will be performing about like a PC browser. According the scores, it will be even more HTML5 compliant then all desktop browsers
    True. But a lot of what makes browsing on a PC so nice is the processing power of the hardware. No phone can or will match a PC in that respect for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-16-13 12:52 AM
    Yes, my bad... should have said "S4 Snapdragon". Had "2" (dual core) on the brain that day.

It's a dual-core, certainly, but arguably the best dual-core SoC around.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-16-13 02:05 AM
    With the latest leaked bb10 training materials, i think it's safe to say that bbm video chat will be there. I hope it's not wifi only though.
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-16-13 12:15 PM
74 123