I wonder what screen resolution will be employed by Manitoba / Z3 LTE.

Posted via CB10
    I would think it will be the same as the regular Z3. The whole point is saving money by using as many common components as possible. Using a different screen would be very costly.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    08-07-14 06:20 PM
    It needs to be formally shown by blackberry before the z10 hits the 2 year anniversary as many people will be up for a new phone because of how contracts with carriers work.

Posted via CB10
    Really? How do these contracts work? Do the carriers limit you to buying phones only during certain times of the year?

As I understand it, people buy phones all throughout the year and subsequently upgrade all throughout the year.

There is no phantom "upgrade cycle" as some have called it. At least not one that "everyone" seems to follow. I've upgraded 6 months to a year and a half past my upgrade time, so I don't even follow the upgrade time frame.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 09:06 AM
    Really? How do these contracts work? Do the carriers limit you to buying phones only during certain times of the year?

As I understand it, people buy phones all throughout the year and subsequently upgrade all throughout the year.

There is no phantom "upgrade cycle" as some have called it. At least not one that "everyone" seems to follow. I've upgraded 6 months to a year and a half past my upgrade time, so I don't even follow the upgrade time frame.

Posted via CB10
    With my contract I'm entitled to an upgrade once per year but have to renew my contract for an additional year. I can't upgrade whenever I want. You can wait longer than the upgrade time but not earlier.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    08-10-14 09:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    We are not required to wait until our contract is up for renewal, but for those of us who can't afford to buy a phone off-contract, we wait, because the carriers give us a big discount if we sign a contract with them when we get the phone. I have been with my carrier for probably 10 years or more, so it doesn't bother me to sign a contract with them. But if you think you might be switching carriers within the next year or two, then this won't be a good option for you.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-10-14 12:00 PM
    We are not required to wait until our contract is up for renewal, but for those of us who can't afford to buy a phone off-contract, we wait, because the carriers give us a big discount if we sign a contract with them when we get the phone. I have been with my carrier for probably 10 years or more, so it doesn't bother me to sign a contract with them. But if you think you might be switching carriers within the next year or two, then this won't be a good option for you.

You could also just save your money and buy it later. You're not going to die if you have have it on release day, seriously.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 11:38 PM
    You could also just save your money and buy it later. You're not going to die if you have have it on release day, seriously.

Posted via CB10
    So, my options are to sign a contract with a carrier I was going to stay with ANYWAY and get a phone right now for $200 versus waiting, just so I can spend more? I don't get it, when do I get a benefit from that?

08-11-14 12:23 AM

I can't outright afford a phone off-contract either and my comment had nothing to do with that.

My issue was more about the notion that contract renewals are somehow all happening before BlackBerry releases their new devices and BlackBerry will somehow miss the renewal time.

These comments that I always see seem to assume that everyone, somehow, got into those contracts all at the same time. But contract times are scattered all throughout the year. I'll bet my contract renewal date (currently, July 2015) is different than yours and anyone else in this forum who is on contract. Yes, BlackBerry will miss those with contracts that were up and renewed before a release. But they will get those with renewals that are up after a release. It doesn't matter "when" a phone is released. And, it's something that every phone manufacturer has to contend with.

You can't worry about potential customers who have already renewed their contracts, only about those who maybe haven't renewed yet and those with upcoming renewals.

And, of course, there are those who can just outright buy the phone they want whenever they want. That's just gravy for any manufacturer.

Sorry for derailing this thread. Back to the program already in progress...

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 09:43 AM
    I can't outright afford a phone off-contract either and my comment had nothing to do with that.

My issue was more about the notion that contract renewals are somehow all happening before BlackBerry releases their new devices and BlackBerry will somehow miss the renewal time.

These comments that I always see seem to assume that everyone, somehow, got into those contracts all at the same time. But contract times are scattered all throughout the year. I'll bet my contract renewal date (currently, July 2015) is different than yours and anyone else in this forum who is on contract. Yes, BlackBerry will miss those with contracts that were up and renewed before a release. But they will get those with renewals that are up after a release. It doesn't matter "when" a phone is released. And, it's something that every phone manufacturer has to contend with.

You can't worry about potential customers who have already renewed their contracts, only about those who maybe haven't renewed yet and those with upcoming renewals.

And, of course, there are those who can just outright buy the phone they want whenever they want. That's just gravy for any manufacturer.

Sorry for derailing this thread. Back to the program already in progress...

Posted via CB10
    There is no set renewal schedule. You renew it when your specific contract is up, and that is anywhere from a year and a half to two years since you signed your current contract. So there is not time for BB to release their product that is better or worse for contract renewals. It's not like everyone would be up for renewal on some specific month or anything.

08-11-14 11:31 AM
    There is no set renewal schedule. You renew it when your specific contract is up, and that is anywhere from a year and a half to two years since you signed your current contract. So there is not time for BB to release their product that is better or worse for contract renewals. It's not like everyone would be up for renewal on some specific month or anything.

I know - that's what I'm saying.

Guess I'm not making myself clear...

It is others that post comments as if everyone got onto their contracts all at the same time. Comments like "the device is coming out after such-and-such upgrade cycle...". It's just that I see such comments posted all the time.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 05:27 PM
    I know - that's what I'm saying.

Guess I'm not making myself clear...

It is others that post comments as if everyone got onto their contracts all at the same time. Comments like "the device is coming out after such-and-such upgrade cycle...". It's just that I see such comments posted all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Oh ok. I guess people are more likely to complain about that if that was the case than those who it works out for to just state that it works out.

08-11-14 09:43 PM
110 ... 345