So, if I understand this rumor correctly, Samsung is trying to get iOS apps on its systems in a similar fashion as PlayBook to Android? Or, Samsung is trying to get the entire OS on its phones?

This rumor just wouldn't make any sense. Why would Apple agree to any of this, especially with a company running Jobs archrival OS?

I must be lost because iOS capability would never come to another manufacturer. I must have just misread some of the posts. Right?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-12 10:26 AM
    So, if I understand this rumor correctly, Samsung is trying to get iOS apps on its systems in a similar fashion as PlayBook to Android? Or, Samsung is trying to get the entire OS on its phones?
    Getting the entire OS is - to me - a fantasist option.

Why would Apple agree to any of this, especially with a company running Jobs archrival OS?
    The question is : "could Apple disagree [...]" since the anti-trust regulations won't allow them to force developers being exclusive ... unless they pay the (high) price for this.

Once again, my source didn't explain the technical "how" and that point makes it hard to discuss about the validity of the rumor. I'm siding (and may be totally wrong) to believe it's possible. On that matter, it might be interesting to follow what's happening in the FaceBook area; they stated deploying their own app center, including Android and iOS "Facebook apps" : http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...38#post7388938

P.S : The thread was about "what does it brings into the Samsung / RIM rapprochement rumor", adding later the perspective of QNX for other Samsung's multimedia devices...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-11-12 at 03:15 AM.
    05-11-12 02:56 AM
    The only think Samsung could do would be to make a set of libraries that would allow compiling iOS apps to Android APKs making it very, very easy for iOS developers to port their apps to Android. Should be doable.
    iOS player (without iOS developers releasing a special version) is much less likely because there is DRM build in in the files.
    05-11-12 03:48 AM
    That article you linked, superfly, I noticed they misspelled "License".

I would adore to see an iOS virtualbox addon for my linux box.
    05-11-12 04:37 AM
    Getting the entire OS is - to me - a fantasist option.
    iOS will never go to a manufacturer. No chance, none.
    The question is : "could Apple disagree [...]" since the anti-trust regulations won't allow them to force developers being exclusive ... unless they pay the (high) price for this.
    What developers are exclusive for iOS? And how does Apple force them to be?
    05-11-12 09:16 AM
    iOS will never go to a manufacturer. No chance, none.

What developers are exclusive for iOS? And how does Apple force them to be?
    Developers are not forced to be exclusive to iOS. It's simply the most profitable platform for mobile developers, so that's where they go first. In the US, Palm used to hold this slot, then Windows Mobile, now iOS.

If history is any guide, Apple has about 5 more years on top of the mobile heap and then we'll see who's next.
    05-11-12 09:43 AM
    If history is any guide, Apple has about 5 more years on top of the mobile heap and then we'll see who's next.
    If they don't really innovate in the next 2 or 3 releases, I could see it happening faster than that. It took RIM a while to lose the crown in part because Android and iOS were in infant stages. Apple's competitors are moving at an exponentially faster pace than the competition back in 2008.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-11-12 09:59 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD