I got this from BLACKBERRYOS

Might still have hope.

"We've received a little tip from an insider at RIM which let us know some pretty cool rumors. Obviously with any tip not accompanied by a screenshot of the "About" screen or an actual picture of the device, it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Companies like RIM throw around so many different ideas and concepts that something that's for sure one day may completely change the following week. Disclaimer done we can get into it. The biggest part of what we've heard so far is the fact that what we thought we knew about the Storm 2 Refresh being canceled isn't exactly accurate.

The BlackBerry Monarch

According to our source, RIM has been working on this Storm 2 refresh device and will name it the BlackBerry Monarch upon release. Apparently they decided to not release it until it was ready to be a BlackBerry 7 device. It will look exactly like the Storm 2 and will feature the SurePress technology. The BlackBerry Monarch will join the 9850/9860 as the second touch screen device in RIM's lineup. If this ends up being accurate, I feel this actually a really good idea in the part of RIM and here's why.

There is a market out there for this device. If you're a BlackBerry Storm I or Storm II owner, odds are you either LOVE your device or HATE it. I personally have friends that thought the SurePress idea was brilliant and they loved it. On the other hand, I don't think I could ever use a phone with a screen that clicks.

For RIM to give the customer two choices in touchscreen technology is great. If you loved the SurePress technology and want a device with BlackBerry 7 then you'll be able to own one. If you don't want that but you still want a touchscreen device, then you can go for 9850/9860. The Storm series' biggest flaw was the fact that it was compared to the iPhone and other Android devices that blew it away in terms of specs. It was at a disadvantage before it ever came out. When the hardware is not strong or fast enough to run a touchscreen OS on top of all that, guess what? Your phone is going to flop.

By keeping this quiet and making another touchscreen device, the 9850/9860, RIM has ensured it will have enough time to make sure BlackBerry 7 runs well on this device as that is the most crucial part of a device being accepted and liked.

RIM is also doing away with the Storm brand completely. The name BlackBerry Monarch will draw people to at least give it a chance. A Storm III device would've immediately been greeted with obvious comparisons and cheap shots to the first 2 devices.

The BlackBerry Volt

Our source also confirmed prior reports that the future 9850/9860 all touch device will be called the BlackBerry Volt. While I might not be the biggest fan of the name, I am a huge fan of the fact that RIM wont be calling it the BlackBerry Torch 9850/9860 as that would've been way too confusing.

So there you go, you are all caught up with the latest rumors in the BlackBerry universe. Hopefully it stays this way and RIM decides to go with the Monarch and keep the Volt name.

What do you think of the idea of another BlackBerry touchscreen named the Monarch? Do you like the name Volt for the future 9850/9860? Let us know in the forums!"
    06-26-11 12:48 PM
    Very interesting. I think there could be a market for this as it would be a cheaper end OS7 device. I have a few friends that have the 9550 and really like it but wish they could get a better OS. They see my OS6 and are ready to see something like that on theirs.
    06-26-11 01:00 PM
    This would be great. I really like Surepress since it helps minimize or eliminate false selections. For example, I have never pocket-dialed anyone with my phone. The only thing I don't like is the clicking sound. It would be great if there was a "stealth mode" that could be enabled when you are in a quiet room and need to make selections without any noise.
    06-26-11 01:19 PM
    I find it very hard to believe RIM would create another full touch screen device just to add SurePress that many people disliked.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-26-11 01:55 PM
    I find it very hard to believe RIM would create another full touch screen device just to add SurePress that many people disliked.
    i actually did like it alot. I could type much faster on that then i can any other touchscreen BUT you are right they dont need yet another device with a different OS that fragments their lineup
    06-26-11 02:01 PM
    BUT!! many people also very much liked it,

I know people clinging to their storms hoping RIM releases another "clicky screen" blackberry

it wouldn't be a mainstream phone, but it could be a project phone like the Style was.

the BAD thing with the Storm was not surepress as much as the OS was not touch friendly, if RIM has Surepress on a capacitive device with software to accommodate it, I could easily see it selling, AND RIM would have something different yet again in the market place
    NobleSix likes this.
    06-26-11 02:39 PM
    I would buy this!
    I miss SurePress. A lot of people really like it, it just needs more refinement.

If they could offer a device like this, but with the option to turn SurePress off and just use it like a regular touch screen, it would be a definite winner.

SurePress is a feature unique to RIM that would help it stand out in a sea of touch screen slabs.

I would be all over a new Storm.
    06-26-11 02:50 PM
    i actually did like it alot. I could type much faster on that then i can any other touchscreen BUT you are right they dont need yet another device with a different OS that fragments their lineup

RIM's Problem is in the past they developed each device in what I'll call a silo, they all were developed apart from eachother.

What RIM needs to grasp if they wish to capture app developers is a more unified development, that does NOT have to mean that they make fewer models, what is means is they create consistency

They could develop the Curve and the Style to share an OS, with different form factors, the Style would just have a module to control sleep/lock when the device is closed, where the curve needs a button press, the second screen on the style could be called via API's for access, but if it didn't exist they would not break an app.
    The Curve and the Style could share screen's and the same internal hardware this would give developers more devices to develop for with a single test bed.

The Bold, and the Touch screen devices should share a resolution, just shifted 90 degrees, if they should share the same internals, (like it looks like the Torch 2, and the Bold Touch are doing) again making it easier for developers to develop for more devices while limiting the number of devices they must test on.

IF RIM did this it would be but a simple module ontop of the OS that would control Surepress input rather than keyboard, or touch screen input.

(The pearl would remain the odd ball)
    06-26-11 02:52 PM
    I would buy this phone with a quickness, and i actually like surepress. I love my Storm, just wish it was a liitle less glitchy and more responsive.
    06-26-11 02:56 PM
    When trying to make a touch screen device companies are trying to make one that sets it apart from the others. There is only so much you can do to make one different from the other. What RIM has did with sure press is set it apart in a whole different way with a different type of screen. I know they tried this already and it didn't go so well but if they try it again and do it well this could be awesome for them. I myself hate to type on touch screen devices. Maybe I would like this one though. I didn't play around with the previous storm due to no one I know having it. It might help capture those that don't like to type on a typical touch screen device but want the full screen phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-11 04:23 PM
    RIM's Problem is in the past they developed each device in what I'll call a silo, they all were developed apart from eachother.

What RIM needs to grasp if they wish to capture app developers is a more unified development, that does NOT have to mean that they make fewer models, what is means is they create consistency

They could develop the Curve and the Style to share an OS, with different form factors, the Style would just have a module to control sleep/lock when the device is closed, where the curve needs a button press, the second screen on the style could be called via API's for access, but if it didn't exist they would not break an app.
    The Curve and the Style could share screen's and the same internal hardware this would give developers more devices to develop for with a single test bed.

The Bold, and the Touch screen devices should share a resolution, just shifted 90 degrees, if they should share the same internals, (like it looks like the Torch 2, and the Bold Touch are doing) again making it easier for developers to develop for more devices while limiting the number of devices they must test on.

IF RIM did this it would be but a simple module ontop of the OS that would control Surepress input rather than keyboard, or touch screen input.

(The pearl would remain the odd ball)
    This is good advice.

I definitely think RIM needs to ditch some of the models.

Perhaps just 3; a full touch/Monarch, a slider/Torch, a keyboard Bold.

Fewer is better, IMO.
    06-26-11 04:29 PM
    This is exciting news if indeed it is true. Put a trackpad on the device and I'm there. I really like my S2, just wish the browser was faster for "emergency" usage even though I have an ipad 2.
    06-26-11 04:50 PM
    If this is true then what are the pictures of that full touchscreen device floating around??

Possible QNX tester? Hmmmm
    06-26-11 08:39 PM
    Do you mean the "Monaco/Monza" which will be the 3.7" full touch screen? It will not have Surepress. It will have a 1.2Ghz processor and a 800 X 480 resolution though. It is currently listed as the 9850 device.
    06-26-11 10:02 PM
    you had me until "It will look exactly like the Storm 2 and will feature the SurePress technology".

Yup. I will pass on this.
    06-26-11 11:58 PM
    The only thing I don't like is the clicking sound. It would be great if there was a "stealth mode" that could be enabled when you are in a quiet room and need to make selections without any noise.
    i couldn't agree more, the only problem with my storm 2 is that the sure press makes to much noise in certain situations (while in meetings or while im in lectures) and that many developers didn't take full advantage of the extra level of control.
    06-27-11 04:27 AM
    I thought I liked SurePress until I left it. I type much better now, mainly due to no lag. I am also glad to be rid of the noisy clacking while I type in meetings. Now I can be stealth about it! The big reason I was scared to leave the Storm2 was SureType, but I get that on a software keyboard now.

I am sure this would sell, but probably not real well. What would be nice would be to offer a discounted upgrade to Storm2 and Storm1 owners! I wonder if RIM has left over hardware or something? I ultimately think chances of this are slim.
    06-27-11 05:27 AM
    I think they would be further diluting things to add this devices. I mean as it stands now they will have the Bold Touch, Touch, Torch2, Curve and Curve Touch, and I bet they'll eventually have a flip touch of some sort. If they had a click Touch I think it would be crazy. They shouldn't have to keep catering to niche groups within the Blackberry community or outside. The Storm1/2 were failures, and it seems like the whiniest people on here are current/former Storm owners so let the thing die!
    06-27-11 06:00 AM
    i cant believe this thread has gotten this far along?

this is completely false. Yes, the Monaco exists (http://forums.crackberry.com/f238/)
    but does not look at all like the S2...and does NOT have sure press...and is NOT a refresh.

Specs:
    •1.2GHz processor
    •3.7-inch 800 x 480 capacitive display
    •Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
    •Tri-band UMTS/HSPA
    •5-megapixel camera with 720p video recording
    •8GB eMMC (storage for apps and data), 512MB of RAM
    •microSD slot
    •Magnetometer
    •Proximity sensor
    •Accelerometer
    •Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    •2.4GHz b/g/n and 5GHz a/n Wi-Fi + UMA
    •3G Mobile hotspot
    •Optical trackpad
    •1230 mAh battery
    BlackBerry OS 6.1 (now known as OS7)
    •OpenGL ES 2.0

and this is what it looks like

06-27-11 07:29 AM
    you had me until "It will look exactly like the Storm 2 and will feature the SurePress technology".

Yup. I will pass on this.
    +1 SurePress sucked. RIM does QWERTY based devices well, touchscreens are best left to the pros at Motorola, HTC, Samsung etc
    06-27-11 07:39 AM
    This is good advice.

I definitely think RIM needs to ditch some of the models.

Perhaps just 3; a full touch/Monarch, a slider/Torch, a keyboard Bold.

Fewer is better, IMO.
    Assuming carriers want blackberries at multiple pricepoints then there is room for more than that, all that will happen is that carriers will pick and choose what they offer.

You would have their mainstream high-end products being the three form factors we know about, then at the lower end you have the curve model we know about and there would be room there for them to add an all-touch model since that would be a more appropriate gateway model for people coming from a feature phone than a pearl these days.

Beyond these five models there would still be room for regional or carrier-specific models too such as that updated touchscreen 9700 that was linked the other week, devices like that wouldn't suit into all markets, but would others.
    06-27-11 07:54 AM
    +1 SurePress sucked. RIM does QWERTY based devices well, touchscreens are best left to the pros at Motorola, HTC, Samsung etc
    I don't really like sure press anymore and I hate typing on the iPad 2 glass screen. Might have to go back to keyboard.
    06-27-11 10:21 AM
    surepress................
    06-28-11 12:41 AM
    The idea is interesting, I really like the look of the Storm 2 and the phone itself. I'm just really starting to get tired of OS5 now that I see BlackBerry's with a new OS and that I have a PlayBook. The Storms would've been greater phones if they had a better OS from the start. At this point I think I'll go with the BlackBerry Volt though.
    06-28-11 01:00 AM
    i cant believe this thread has gotten this far along?

this is completely false. Yes, the Monaco exists (BlackBerry monaco/monza - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com)
    but does not look at all like the S2...and does NOT have sure press...and is NOT a refresh.

Specs:
    �1.2GHz processor
    �3.7-inch 800 x 480 capacitive display
    �Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
    �Tri-band UMTS/HSPA
    �5-megapixel camera with 720p video recording
    �8GB eMMC (storage for apps and data), 512MB of RAM
    �microSD slot
    �Magnetometer
    �Proximity sensor
    �Accelerometer
    �Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR