Guys, this is not a trolling thread, but just hear me out.

My contact who works at RIM as a Network Developer has told me Skype is not coming. Because of MS/RIM not having a deal to do so.

Think about it, Windows phones don't even have Skype as MS owns Skype. So how would it be possible that RIM would have skype before MS's own phones have it?

As well, Skype for Blackberry DOES exist, but its a contract with Verizon US customers so only Verizon customers have access to Skype BB.

So until a deal is done, and MS and RIM and CARRIERS can come up with something, please stop the "I want/NEED Skype" threads.

Maybe there is noise in the background for getting something done, but until then, it is a 100% no go for Skype on the Playbook.
    02-17-12 09:24 AM
    That's sad, it really is. Corporate politics at work folks!
    02-17-12 09:26 AM

My contact who works at RIM as a Network Developer has told me Skype is not coming. Because of MS/RIM not having a deal to do so.

Think about it, Windows phones don't even have Skype as MS owns Skype. So how would it be possible that RIM would have skype before MS's own phones have it?

As well, Skype for Blackberry DOES exist, but its a contract with Verizon US customers so only Verizon customers have access to Skype BB.

So until a deal is done, and MS and RIM and CARRIERS can come up with something, please stop the "I want/NEED Skype" threads.

Maybe there is noise in the background for getting something done, but until then, it is a 100% no go for Skype on the Playbook.
    Telus smartphones also have skype. Just saying.
    highos and dugggggg like this.
    02-17-12 09:30 AM
    It really is sad, I love my playbook, I have loved it since April 19th 2011, and even though I do not use Skype, I know it is a much sought after app, but Apple and Google and carriers have staked their claims for probably billions of dollars to make sure competitors don't get in on it.
    jslawell likes this.
    02-17-12 09:30 AM
    Telus smartphones also have skype. Just saying.
    not on their Blackberry lineup
    02-17-12 09:31 AM
    How does a network developer have access to executive initiatives? It's common knowledge that RIM and Microsoft have a strategic partnership.

Lucas Atkins over at N4BB.com mentioned that Skype was in the works a little while ago. If anyone is unfamiliar with who he is. Lucas is the one that breaks most of the exclusive news for BlackBerry. He is about as credible as it gets, with a near 100% success rate.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-17-12 at 09:44 AM.
    piper975 and emtunc like this.
    02-17-12 09:39 AM
    Follow the link and try Tango. It MAY not be as good as Skype but they have Tango on almost every other platform.

Tango Support for BlackBerry PlayBook : Tango Support Center
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-17-12 09:39 AM
    Oh my God, I'm going to have to immediately go and kill myself if Skype isn't on my PB within the next 10days....
    oh no wait, it's the other reaction I need in this case... I don't give a f...udge!

I can't get my head around some people's reaction to Skype / Netflix / Hulu... I knew from day 1 it wasn't on the PB, and that certainly didn't stop me getting it.

It would be nice for all those people who see them as 'must-haves', but I'm definately not going to cry because 1 of about 8 different ways to contact me isn't on my Playbook.

Thanks for the update either way, QuIcKsIlV3r

Si.
    Bob31464, JAGWIRE, Nelis and 6 others like this.
    02-17-12 09:42 AM
    How does a network developer have access to executive initiatives?
    Great question, I don't have the answer to that, but he works closely and is good friends with the app development team as they have to bounce the apps off him to make sure everything gets routed through BIS/BES servers to keep data streams flowing. And there is nothing being worked on for Skype.

Maybe something is being worked on in secrecy, but nothing right now is public, as the deals with MS and RIM have not been reached at this time
    Last edited by QuIcKsIlV3r; 02-17-12 at 09:51 AM.
    02-17-12 09:43 AM
    Well, as was posted earlier, Alec Saunders has said publicly that Skype is his favorite app that is not yet available on PB. So who knows?
    02-17-12 09:50 AM
    Oh my God, I'm going to have to immediately go and kill myself if Skype isn't on my PB within the next 10days....
    oh no wait, it's the other reaction I need in this case... I don't give a f...udge!

I can't get my head around some people's reaction to Skype / Netflix / Hulu... I knew from day 1 it wasn't on the PB, and that certainly didn't stop me getting it.

It would be nice for all those people who see them as 'must-haves', but I'm definately not going to cry because 1 of about 8 different ways to contact me isn't on my Playbook.

Si.
    Right. You don't care. Hundreds, maybe thousands of others do, so sorry. You are in the minority. You knew that Skype, Netflix and Hulu would never arrive on Playbook. That makes you a modern day prophet. Not everyone, however, is gifted with your foresight. There were some who believed RIM when it said apps were coming. Those people still do. It is your prerogative not to 'cry' about it. Please allow others to do so.
    02-17-12 09:53 AM
    Well, as was posted earlier, Alec Saunders has said publicly that Skype is his favorite app that is not yet available on PB. So who knows?
    ya maybe there is more talks going on and maybe deals are going to be made, but from the app and network teams advantage point, nothing is crossing their desks as of yet for Skype
    Until then guys, remember that yahoo video chat DOES work on the playbook via www.imo.im

Theimportant thing to note here is that this kills the rumor once and for all that blackberry blocks camera and microphone access to third party software.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    but Apple and Google and carriers have staked their claims for probably billions of dollars to make sure competitors don't get in on it.
    Here we go...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    aniym likes this.
    02-17-12 09:54 AM
    I'll take Skype or the new Dell Voice App, which is supposed to be coming to Blackberry (hopefully the Playbook) soon ...whatever soon means
    02-17-12 09:55 AM
    Here we go...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Would you like to explain where my theory is wrong? Why does Apple and Google have access to Skype and why does Verizon US (at least) allow BB users to use Skype but BB on any other carrier is not allowed to have skype?
    02-17-12 09:59 AM
    I've never really seriously used any video chat program. I've tried Skype, Fring, Facetime, Google video chat, and they are all gimmicky. I guess I don't care about actually seeing the person I'm talking to most of the time.
    02-17-12 10:01 AM
    Would you like to explain where my theory is wrong? Why does Apple and Google have access to Skype and why does Verizon US (at least) allow BB users to use Skype but BB on any other carrier is not allowed to have skype?
    Microsoft and Skype acquisition was approved not too long ago....Heck WP7 Just received Skype support recently.

Skype was an independent company up until recently....Now that RIM and Microsoft are in bed together, it's foolish to believe that Skype isn't on the radar.
    02-17-12 10:05 AM

Si.
    If you could care less, why are you even posting in this thread, then?

The only thing more annoying than people starting OS 2.0 release date threads are the people who post in Netflix or Skype threads claiming that Netflix or Skype is unimportant because THEY don't use it.
    speedypear likes this.
    02-17-12 10:08 AM
    Microsoft and Skype acquisition was approved not too long ago....Heck WP7 Just received Skype support recently.

Skype was an independent company up until recently....Now that RIM and Microsoft are in bed together, it's foolish to believe that Skype isn't on the radar.
    Well the deal isn't 100% as of yet. Sure they have shaken hands publicly but the deal for Skype isn't there. It might be on the radar, but there is no app team working on it, and the network team doesn't have squat to make sure a skype app will function properly through BIS/BES networks
    02-17-12 10:08 AM
    Unless there is an absolute announcement from RIM that Skype will 'never' come, there always remains the possibility, 50% to be precise.
    Nothing is final..... until the old lady sings
    02-17-12 10:09 AM
    You believe mortal enemies banded together with "billions" to stop RIM from getting Skype?

I know to expect interesting conspiracy theories, but still...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-17-12 10:11 AM
    There is no Skype for WP7 phones because:
    - MS is aiming at a higher level integration of Skype and making it a selling feature for WP8,
    - MS deliberately opted to support phones without front facing cameras probably even before they finalized the Skype deal. So they are purposefully holding off on Skype for WP7 phones as releasing it will anger their existing customers. And quite frankly, nobody will buy phones like Lumia 710 that MS is pushing.

And do you really believe that it would be hard for MS to develop Skype for yet another OS? I'd say with resources that MS commands, it shouldn't take them more than a few weeks to develop Skype for the Playbook. But whether RIM is pushing them hard enogh is a different question.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-17-12 at 10:17 AM.
    02-17-12 10:14 AM

About Verizon having the only rights for skype... What if your not in the US pf A? I live in Europe, and I have no option to get skype here. How is it possible a company that only delivers a service in the USA gets all the rights? If a carrier would allow it on european BB's, how would that be a threat to verizon?
    02-17-12 10:17 AM
    You believe mortal enemies banded together with "billions" to stop RIM from getting Skype?

I know to expect interesting conspiracy theories, but still...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Just have a look at this link from N4BB dated back in Jun 2011!

If you’re a Skype user and a BlackBerry owner then it’s no news to you that in order to use Skype services from your BlackBerry you have to use third party apps that aren’t half as good as the official Skype app you see on other OS. If you try to access the Skype download page from your BlackBerry smartphone you will see a message saying Skype isn’t available for your phone and “Why not find an iPhone, Android or Symbian device that works with Skype”. They are actually suggesting you should ditch your BlackBerry and get a new phone.

We all know how big Skype is. If a company this large, perfectly capable of doing a BlackBerry app, won’t even bother doing one that means this could become a growing trend and BlackBerry users are taking the risk of living off third party apps, if we’re lucky. What do you guys think needs to be done to prevent this from happening?
    02-17-12 10:17 AM
210 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD